Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I think all of us agree with this but who’s responsible that Pereira is still a part of our squad?
That honor is shared
50% Woodys fault for not giving Herrera a new contract
50% on Moyes, LvG, Jose and Ole for mostly signing shit/no midfielders

We really, really should have signed a CM this summer, but the fact that the options were only Pogba, Scott, Fred and Pereria is not only Oles fault

Red_toad

Exactly. He's been here a fecking year. We've Allegri and Poch available and we're fecking pulling teeth. Dumbest shit I've ever seen. It's actually sickening at this point.
Poch has just been sacked from a Spurs side that’s vastly superior to this United side. So we appoint him and he gets to play with the same disjointed team with huge gaps in the squad that are never filled? Allegri would need a new team purchasing, it’d be like going back to Jose.
I doubt anyone has the answers, but the people who run the club are simply hiding behind the managers they appoint and the players they sign. We can employ another 10 managers and continue as we are, as it won’t change a thing.
First thing the club should be doing in my opinion is get a first class director of football in, not be sacking yet another manager.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
How would you have set us up today given the injuries and the nature of the available players in midfield?
A quick look at Sheffield before the game tells you this: they will pass circles around you but they will also camp in. There’s a reason why they had the least goals conceded.
We have played our best football away when we have dominated possession. Suffocate them with our strengths.

DDG
AWB LINDELOF HARRY WILLIAMS
FRED
MATA GARNER
JAMES MARTIAL RASHFORD​

Would have allowed us to hold the ball with composure and utilized Matas strong ability to link midfield to James/martial/Marcus. Maya is also very talented at holding the ball against big physical opponents, or gets himself a foul. Sheffield will give you possession if they can just camp in (see our 3 goals) and you are competent at passing it around.

Instead Ole and co thought

DDG
AWB LINDELOF HARRY JONES WILLIAMS
FRED ANDREAS

JAMES MARTIAL RASHFORD​

was going to be a good idea to build play in their half somehow. That gap? That gap made Andreas shit the bed over and over again. Put undue pressure on us. They punished it.

no surprise that as soon as we put a #10 in that took pressure off the midfield 2 and spread it across them and the front 3 we scored 3 goals.

then we decided to reverse that... you know the one thing that actually changed the game in our favour.

I was honestly shocked he started the game with Andreas in a midfield 2 with no link between him and front 3. He’s truly horrendous at responsibility

girish

I too love women...for their shoes.
Please get rid. There are many other managers who could do a lot better than him. Pochettino is such a manager and he should be here managing this team now. Instead we are going to stick by Ole, and watch him drag this team down even more.

I loved the come back, but that doesn't do any justice to the crap we saw prior. The sooner he is out, the better. Some other better manager can take his place and always have us play some good football.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
there was also feck all midfield.
He sold Fellaini, never replaced him. He likely knew from the outset Matic wouldn't be in his plans and never replaced him either. For what it's worth Matic would have been 100x better than Pereira today anyway.

Thing is, it was still a good line up. On paper we had more than enough quality to hurt them but really we were spanked all the way until we had 2 flashes of brilliance.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Poch has just been sacked from a Spurs side that’s vastly superior to this United side. So we appoint him and he gets to play with the same disjointed team with huge gaps in the squad that are never filled? Allegri would need a new team purchasing, it’d be like going back to Jose.
I doubt anyone has the answers, but the people who run the club are simply hiding behind the managers they appoint and the players they sign. We can employ another 10 managers and continue as we are, as it won’t change a thing.
First thing the club should be doing in my opinion is get a first class director of football in, not be sacking yet another manager.
The players weren't playing for Poch anymore. It went stale there. Again, it was the end of the road for Poch at Spurs, that's it. He did an excellent job at Saints and he'd do a better job than Ole with our current squad so yeah Poch is the answer. I can see you point with Allegri but he's still a far better option than Ole. Keeping him here is pointless. Lets not forget we sacked Jose and a year later we've not made any improvement.

A quick look at Sheffield before the game tells you this: they will pass circles around you but they will also camp in. There’s a reason why they had the least goals conceded.
We have played our best football away when we have dominated possession. Suffocate them with our strengths.

DDG
AWB LINDELOF HARRY WILLIAMS
FRED
MATA GARNER
JAMES MARTIAL RASHFORD​

Would have allowed us to hold the ball with composure and utilized Matas strong ability to link midfield to James/martial/Marcus. Sheffield will give you possession if they can just camp in (see our 3 goals) and you are competent at passing it around.

Instead Ole and co thought

DDG
AWB LINDELOF HARRY JONES WILLIAMS
FRED ANDREAS

JAMES MARTIAL RASHFORD​

was going to be a good idea to build play in their half somehow. That gap? That gap made Andreas shit the bed over and over again. Put undue pressure on us. They punished it.

no surprise that as soon as we put a #10 in that took pressure off the midfield 2 and spread it across them and the front 3 we scored 3 goals.

then we decided to reverse that... you know the one thing that actually changed the game in our favour.

I was honestly shocked he started the game with Andreas in a midfield 2 with no link between him and front 3. He’s truly horrendous at responsibility
When was the last time you observed Mata using this 'strong ability to link midfield and attack', particularly during an away game against a physical side? And what has Garner shown you in his handful of minutes this season that convinved you that the difference between us winning and drawing today was the mistake of playing Perreira instead of him? He's played even less than Williams has and Williams was lost today.

el3mel

I'm pointing out a clear double-standard. If it's Ole, then "the buck stops with the manager", if it's Poch, then it's "the end of a cycle." Both can't be true, because the first says that a manager has to take responsibility for everything that goes wrong, while the second says that sometimes things outside of the managers control happen that makes it impossible for them to succeed.

I'm not saying that the latter is the case with Ole, nor that the former was the case for Poch, all I'm saying is that you can't, with any sort of credibility, say "the buck stops with the manager" only to then go on to make excuses for Poch. It either does, or it doesn't.
The bucks stops with the manager, and Poch deserved to be sacked, however that was his first poor season since 5 years while Ole has been a nothing manager on the top flight at the same period. It will look stupid for us to overlook Poch because of one bad year while continuing with Ole who has absolutely no track record to support him succeeding here at all. With Poch you have arguments of if he will succeed here, with Ole it's just wishful thinking. That's all.

Bobcat

Why was we 2-0 down in the first place?

He got absolutely everything wrong from the tactics to personnel. One of the first times in his entire run that he makes a good substitute decision then it quickly backfired when he made the wrong call with Tuanzabe.

3-3 at Sheffield United after getting battered and it’s touted as a decent result. We have less points than Jose did at this stage of the season and are 10th in the league, it’s a right mess.
We did not show up the the first half at all. It was pure shite from everyone bar De Gea

We tried basically the same formation as always, but putting Jones in midfield was a disaster, but who else was there? Garner?

Putting on a defender when you are defending a lead is literally what everyone does. We did not control the game in the second half, we simply managed to get 3 goals from some quality attacking play and Sheffield got incredibly complacent and defensive after going 0-2 up.

tomaldinho1

The difference between PSG and the City and the lower teams in their respective leagues are far greater though than that of this current United team, especially as we’ve been missing our best player for every one of those games bar Palace.
Klopp had a bad time against the lower teams for a long time after his tenure at Liverpool began. Since he took over from Rodgers in 15/16 they lost to Palace, Newcastle, Watford, West Ham, Southampton, Swansea with a negative goal-difference of 13-3 just from those games.

In his first full season they lost to Burnley, Bournemouth, Swansea, Hull, Leicester and Palace whilst also drawing against Bournemouth, Southampton (2x) and Sunderland. Similarly to us though they never lost once to a top 6 competitor.

The start to his 17/18 campaign could’ve very well spelled the end of him at another club, only winning 3 of his first 9 games which included draws against Watford, Burnley, Newcastle and also 5-0 and 4-1 drubbings to City and Spurs.
It was only thereon after, about 2 years in that they were able to find consistancy in their performances.

We all know what Klopp had achieved before taking over Liverpool but unless you have the kind of advantage that City and PSG have had it’s going to take time.
You’re missing the crucial difference. Klopp could point to his Dortmund experience and say that is what we’re working towards, I have a track record in a competitive European League and the CL. Extra Kudos that it was in a traditionally one horse league as well.

Our manager has nothing, he’s never managed in a top league apart from utterly failing at Cardiff. How people back him now is beyond me, we’ve had such an easy run post Liverpool of weaker teams and we’re still dropping points.

Alabaster Codify7

I'm not gonna knock Ole for the equalizer and the defensive substitution as most managers would have done the same.

What I am going to knock Ole for, is the fact that for 75mins of that game we looked like a poor Championship side.

What I will knock Ole for, is the fact that yet another fairly ordinary Premier League manager has schooled him.

What I will knock Ole for, is the clueless, hopeless attitude he displays during games like this. And for his demeanour at full-time - I'm sorry, but as a football manager, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is a loser. He does not portray a winner, he is no different to David Moyes - he radiates the vibe of someone who is just happy to be there, and happy to be taking part.

He is a loser. Not as a person, but as a manager. He is not a winner and he is spreading a loser's mentality throughout this squad, which is very concerning for our young lads. He is encouraging mediocrity, and is holding nobody accountable for mediocrity, including himself and his coaching team. The longer Ole remains in charge of this club, the longer it will take to reverse the damage he does. The new manager will have to come in and transform the entire mentality of this squad of players and make them realise that we will no longer reward and encourage shit performances and shit talent.

He talks about transforming the culture at United and he's telling the truth. The problem is he's doing so in a negative way.

Get him out of this club.

I think he might get fired this week, to be honest.

WR10

When was the last time you observed Mata using this 'strong ability to link midfield and attack', particularly during an away game against a physical side? And what has Garner shown you in his handful of minutes this season that convinved you that the difference between us winning and drawing today was the mistake of playing Perreira instead of him? He's played even less than Williams has and Williams was lost today.
We can go back and forth all day because hindsight is 20/20. However considering the options before the game - would you go with the one that guarantees failure? Andreas has broken records for ball possession loss in his midfield role. Knowing this would you consciously put him in a midfield 2 with no #10 in front of him and a team that will press him to the ground?

Jericholyte2

He literally switched back to a formation that had seen us concede twice and been battered for 70 minutes. You'd have to be a complete idiot to do that
He didn’t go back to a back 5, Tuanzebe anchored the midfield.

Any manager in his position, just taking the lead against a bloody difficult opponent away from home would have done the same.

WR10

Any manager in his position, just taking the lead against a bloody difficult opponent away from home would have done the same.
They would have - after scoring the 4th goal. They were getting battered and had completely given up. Dropping back and giving them space so we can have our false sense of ‘defensive structure’ with Axel was exactly the breathing room they needed to get back into it.

If it had been a scruffy 3-2 with us not really in the game it would make sense. However we weren’t - we just scored 3 and have set up camp in their final 1/3. We were much closer to a 4th goal than conceding a goal and there’s no defensive reason to feck with that momentum.

SteveW

I'm not gonna knock Ole for the equalizer and the defensive substitution as most managers would have done the same.

What I am going to knock Ole for, is the fact that for 75mins of that game we looked like a poor Championship side.

What I will knock Ole for, is the fact that yet another fairly ordinary Premier League manager has schooled him.

What I will knock Ole for, is the clueless, hopeless attitude he displays during games like this. And for his demeanour at full-time - I'm sorry, but as a football manager, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is a loser. He does not portray a winner, he is no different to David Moyes - he radiates the vibe of someone who is just happy to be there, and happy to be taking part.

He is a loser. Not as a person, but as a manager. He is not a winner and he is spreading a loser's mentality throughout this squad, which is very concerning for our young lads. He is encouraging mediocrity, and is holding nobody accountable for mediocrity, including himself and his coaching team. The longer Ole remains in charge of this club, the longer it will take to reverse the damage he does. The new manager will have to come in and transform the entire mentality of this squad of players and make them realise that we will no longer reward and encourage shit performances and shit talent.

He talks about transforming the culture at United and he's telling the truth. The problem is he's doing so in a negative way.

Get him out of this club.

I think he might get fired this week, to be honest.
Ole Gunner Solskjaer is a loser?? Wonder what you've achieved in life to even utter something like that.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Don't know why he had to change something that was clearly working, it lost us 2 points in the end when we'd done so well to get back into the game.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Maybe five minutes later but against a more vulnerable team. If you're making a defensive sub by the time you're already conceding chances then you might be too late.
So how did doing it sooner help ???

SAFMUTD

He is a loser. Not as a person, but as a manager. He is not a winner and he is spreading a loser's mentality throughout this squad, which is very concerning for our young lads. He is encouraging mediocrity, and is holding nobody accountable for mediocrity, including himself and his coaching team. The longer Ole remains in charge of this club, the longer it will take to reverse the damage he does.
Couldn’t agree more, specially the underlined part.

He acts as if the performances and results are aceptable, and it has already spread within the team. Its easy to see in their declarations and social network posts.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I think as a manager you have to read the game, though. We looked like we were going to get the fourth goal before the sub was made. Maybe he could have continued for a bit and tried to kill off the game.
Exactly. For the first time in the game we were taking them apart so why change a thing? When Ole has something to play for he just loses his nerve. So much for this attack minded plan of his. If it aint broke don't fix it.

SAFMUTD

Damn I though we played against Sheffield Utd, you make it sound as if we went to Camp Nou to face prime Barcelona.

Regalia

He acts as if the performances and results are aceptable, and it has already spread within the team. Its easy to see in their declarations and social network posts.
I too fear this to be true. It feels so much like what Moyes would have done to our team had he been given more time. Lower expectations, break negative records and establish us firmly as a plucky, midtable club, if even that.

Greck

:lol::lol::lol:

His standards for appraising his own performance are shockingly low. Even he doesn't know if he has what it takes to succeed hete. This whole experiment is akin to conducting grade school experiment with NASA equipment

TsuWave

Get dominated for most of the game by Sheffield United then go on your post match interview to say that “sometimes football is beyond tactics”. This guy :lol:

Gasolin

Guys, why would he say anything negative externally?
It is clearly not acceptable but he is going to try to solve it internally, not externally. We should be glad about it.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
For me the Tuanzebe change is poor game management....it's textbook I'd have done it on football manager, but you manage the game that's in front of you, and that substitution changed the game and we conceded. Up to that point we looked like scoring a fourth and they had no answer.

SAFMUTD

Guys, why would he say anything negative externally?
It is clearly not acceptable but he is going to try to solve it internally, not externally. We should be glad about it.
Some autocritic would be nice for a change, he just keep repeating the same things over and over like a broken record “we will learn from this” “we take it and improve for next game”.

At this point is not positivity anymore its plain mediocrity.

NJM78

Could you imagine if Moyes was an ex legend who scored a CL final winner. He may have seen out his 6 year deal.

Bobcat

The bucks stops with the manager, and Poch deserved to be sacked, however that was his first poor season since 5 years while Ole has been a nothing manager on the top flight at the same period. It will look stupid for us to overlook Poch because of one bad year while continuing with Ole who has absolutely no track record to support him succeeding here at all. With Poch you have arguments of if he will succeed here, with Ole it's just wishful thinking. That's all.
This is apples and oranges though. Or more like apples and potatoes because it is incredibly hard to compare.

Poch took over a young and very talented Spurs squad when most of their main rivals were in varying degrees of turmoil, we struggled post Fergie, At Arsenal Wenger had run his course and they could not replace him, Chelsea and City were as volatile as ever and Liverpool has only sailed up as a real power the last two years.

His points haul is 64, 70, 86, 77, 71 = 73,6 avg
Since 2010/11 they had: 70, 62, 69, 72, 69 = 68,4 avg

Considering Kane came through, who is one of the best, if not the best striker in England, right as he took over thats not really that much of an improvement and considering you "usually" need at least 70-75 points to get into the top 4 he only really managed two seasons where they really were banged on to get there. He could also work under almost no pressure. Simply getting top 4 was enough for him to be hailed as a genius

Just look at this thread. Go from 0-2 to 3-3 and Ole is getting absolutely slaughtered by some posters because he put on a defender to defend a lead. And this is away to Sheffield United who have been incredibly solid this year in the middle of a rebuild and starting Phil fecking Jones in midfield because everyone else is injured.

Considering how different the circumstances are i dont really see how Poch would have "guaranteed" to be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.