Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

chromepaxos

I really don't get this "we're in rebuilding. whatever result is ok" excuse. We are top 3 richest club in the world (recently the richest until our results finally seem to be affecting the club's popularity). There's no reason that we can't rebuild and achieve good results at the same time. The standard among the fanbase for the club has plummeted so much now that people are happy with sitting 5th in a season where all of our rivals bar 2 are in chaos and sacked their managers and Liverpool have almost double the points we do.
Nobody in this thread to my knowledge has said "whatever result is ok" or that they are happy with 5th.

It's amazing. Every single Ole-outer is having a fantasy conversation with someone in their head.

chromepaxos

My problem with him is not doing the simple and basic things right. We are not going to play like Liverpool and City. We do not have the players to do so and Ole is not Klopp or Pep to do so. But he is not getting the things even managers at the lower end is doing by getting the simple things. We may not win matches too but look at the Palace goal against City. We cannot even get a corner right. The last time we scored from a corner was because it was not planned and even the scorer had no idea a corner has been taken.
Surely Ole can get a corner right? He himself made his name from a near post flick by Teddy Sheringham. So why doesn't he get that right?
I think this is a fair criticism. Our corners seem to be terrible, which is odd given Ole's background both as a striker and in Norway.

I don't think anyone that supports Ole believes he is the best coach in the world. I think most are seeing progress for the first time since Fergie left and don't want to interrupt it until it stalls at whatever level of which Ole is capable.

Seij

Nobody in this thread to my knowledge has said "whatever result is ok" or that they are happy with 5th.

It's amazing. Every single Ole-outer is having a fantasy conversation with someone in their head.
And people like you try to grasp at every single straw by picking apart every single word of someone you disagree with. I apologize for making up a fantasy conversation and not understanding that people don't understand the concept of exaggeration to make a point.

How many posts are out there of people saying "We're in rebuild" to defend Ole to the bitter end?

matt10000

Said it several times mate. Ole Woodward and Glazers have brainwashed fans into thinking one of most decorated and richest clubs in the world should carry out a rebuild in such a slow pace. Can you imagine the reaction on this forum if Mourinho, with the squad he had was given time and two more transfer windows yet we end up being 5th?
I and others haven’t been brainwashed pal, just because someone doesn’t agree with you it doesn’t mean that we are all so stupid that we have been brainwashed. We have our own minds and just have a different opinion.

Show some respect on this forum. The argument that everyone who disagrees with you have been brainwashed is just a weak counter argument

Eriku

I haven’t been on here for a while and was interested to see, how at the time of the announcement there was mostly positive comments and wishing him luck, to the last few pages which seem a lot more negative towards OGS.

I thought the timing, of the club giving him the full time job, was weird when only a couple of months previously they seemed to publicly declare the future strategy of getting a DoF and a more experienced manager.

To get rid of him now (12 months later) would just stink of even more incompetency by the board.
Therefore I really can’t see them giving him the boot before Xmas 2020.
In my opinion, I like more of what’s happening on the pitch than I don’t like. It’s 100% more enjoyable to watch than van Gaals or Mourinhos offerings.
Clearing deadwood, bringing through youth was always gonna be a huge undertaking and the fact we’re going OK in most competitions is a huge plus for him.
Young team, young manager BOTH need to learn and develop as they go forward.
:lol:

Last few pages? He’s had serious vitriol thrown at him since the last couple of months of last season.

Not trying to ridicule, btw, just found that particular line funny.

croadyman

I have a bad feeling that Ole isn't being backed fully by the board,you only have to look at them trying to lowball Sporting with that offer

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I have a bad feeling that Ole isn't being backed fully by the board,you only have to look at them trying to lowball Sporting with that offer
What does that mean? It is phrase which is many times repeated here.
For me, fully backed means that you buy and sell players by your manager instuctions. Not that you give him unlimited budget. So far, as we know( and Ole basically confirmed that) he is 100% backed.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Ole is 46. He's been managing for 10 years now.

Zidane is 47, Ten Haag 49, Klopp 52, Nagelsmann 32.

I really don't get this "we're in rebuilding. whatever result is ok" excuse. We are top 3 richest club in the world (recently the richest until our results finally seem to be affecting the club's popularity). There's no reason that we can't rebuild and achieve good results at the same time. The standard among the fanbase for the club has plummeted so much now that people are happy with sitting 5th in a season where all of our rivals bar 2 are in chaos and sacked their managers and Liverpool have almost double the points we do.
Said it several times mate. Ole Woodward and Glazers have brainwashed fans into thinking one of most decorated and richest clubs in the world should carry out a rebuild in such a slow pace. Can you imagine the reaction on this forum if Mourinho, with the squad he had was given time and two more transfer windows yet we end up being 5th?
We are in a rebuild though. Its true now and it will be for another two years at least, regardless of who is managing us. The reason it goes slowly is because we shat our pants when Fergie left and have been doing for the last six years. Summed up the problems have been

1. Former managers, but especially LvG and Jose pissed away a lot of money on bad transfers. Almost 600 million£ between them and we have very little to show for it today
2. We have a massive, massive wage bill despite not having the quality to match, in fact we had the highest wage bill in the league last year. This is because we have out ridiculous contracts to the likes of Sanchez who reportedly are earning about half a million each week with all addons.
3. The frankly idiotic way the club handles contracts is a big reason for no2. Waiting for them to almost expire before starting to negotiate. This is the reason we lost Herrera and its the reason dross like Lindgard have gotten new contracts because we could either resign them on lucrative deals or let them go for free
4. We post record turnovers each year, but our profits are not really that big. In fact when wages have been paid and the leeches have had their share not a lot is left
5. Our net spend the last couple of years has been a very modest 47 million in 2018 and 80 million this year

Some deadwood are gone, but there is still loads more than needs to go. Compare our squad to the one City got and compare the wage bills and its pretty clear we have fecked up pretty badly.

matt10000

Pretty good article regarding Ole and need to not miss out on Poch. Fans aren’t being objective in regards to Ole. If he wasn’t a team legend I guarantee there would be unanimous support to replace him.
https://amp.theguardian.com/footbal...ed?CMP=share_btn_tw&__twitter_impression=true
The world is full of company directors who were employed because they have been really successful elsewhere but is equally full of company directors who started in the post room or on the shop floor. You could argue that if they hadn’t spent years at the company learning the ropes there would be unanimous support to replace them but the argument would not be valid because they have spent that time in the company.

Same with Ole or any other football manager who gets the job because they are a club legend. Of course they wouldn’t get the backing if they weren’t a club legend but then again it is a ridiculous argument as they would never have got the job in the first place.

Saying “if Ole wasn’t a club legend I guarantee there would be unanimous support to replace him” is great to sell papers but totally irrelevant seeing as the fact remains he is a club legend. You may as well say the fans wouldn’t want us to sign Bruno Fernandes if he only had one leg, it is probably true (although might be a better option than Lingard right now) but irrelevant because he has two legs.

Promoting from within is very common jn the business world and the football world and there is good reason.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....within-usually-beats-hiring-from-outside/amp/

Last edited:

SqueakyWeasel

Pretty good article regarding Ole and need to not miss out on Poch. Fans aren’t being objective in regards to Ole. If he wasn’t a team legend I guarantee there would be unanimous support to replace him.
https://amp.theguardian.com/footbal...ed?CMP=share_btn_tw&__twitter_impression=true
That is one of the worst examples of modern sports journalism I've ever read. It starts off with a totally unrelated history snippet, goes on to an irrelevant quote from the manager before last, and descends into a cherry-picked comparison of Jose's defensive football stats and the current team without supplying any of the numbers. Actually, there are very few "facts" in the whole thing, a few patently personal feelings disguised as facts, along with a sensationalist, obviously click-bait pandering, headline that does not even attempt to reflect the content of the story. Even the timing is transparent; posting the article on probably the safest day of the season for the facts to back it up – one day before an understrength and heavily injury-depleted United travel to the home of what is almost certainly the best side in the league.
As unlikely as it is, he'll look really fecking stupid if we manage a miracle and get something out of this game.

L1nk

So doing the rounds Rashford is out of Liverpool game and could be out for an extended period, which, IF true, is terrible mismanagement I'm sorry

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
That is one of the worst examples of modern sports journalism I've ever read. It starts off with a totally unrelated history snippet, goes on to an irrelevant quote from the manager before last, and descends into a cherry-picked comparison of Jose's defensive football stats and the current team without supplying any of the numbers. Actually, there are very few "facts" in the whole thing, a few patently personal feelings disguised as facts, along with a sensationalist, obviously click-bait pandering, headline that does not even attempt to reflect the content of the story. Even the timing is transparent; posting the article on probably the safest day of the season for the facts to back it up – one day before an understrength and heavily injury-depleted United travel to the home of what is almost certainly the best side in the league.
As unlikely as it is, he'll look really fecking stupid if we manage a miracle and get something out of this game.
If it was a different authour you might be right, but Jonathan Wilson is one of the best in the business and has an excellent understanding of the nuances of strategy. Hes about the last person I'd accuse of writing a hack piece.

Sometimes it's hard to hear the truth.

The_Order

I for one think its a miracle that a team without a midfield is even in 5th place.

I know its fashionable to shit on Ole from the greatest height imaginable - but the situation we are in is the work of the inept board mostly.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I for one think its a miracle that a team without a midfield is even in 5th place.

I know its fashionable to shit on Ole from the greatest height imaginable - but the situation we are in is the work of the inept board mostly.
True. But unless ole is a genius with a crystal ball or a lucky fellow, i dont trust a manager who jumps onto a season without a midfield.

22 games 34 points. Any other year we'd be dead and burried out of top 4.

matt10000

So doing the rounds Rashford is out of Liverpool game and could be out for an extended period, which, IF true, is terrible mismanagement I'm sorry
Rashford is injured and that is mismanagement?

You have a crystal ball or something?

matt10000

If it was a different authour you might be right, but Jonathan Wilson is one of the best in the business and has an excellent understanding of the nuances of strategy. Hes about the last person I'd accuse of writing a hack piece.

Sometimes it's hard to hear the truth.
How can you say that article would be crap if it was written by someone else but not crap because it was written by Mr Wilson? It is either crap or it isn’t?

Do you watch a film and say it is crap and then change you mind because you realise it was produced by a certain producer?

Paul_Scholes18

Is our midfield that bad though? Mctominay has been great. Fred is a very good player. Matic can still be quality on his day. Attacking midfield is very weak though and we are very light up front.
Of course no Pogba is a big blow for the midfield and us not getting anyone this window is pure stupidity or incompetence.

I think the reason we do not rate our midfield that much is because Ole is not making them perform at peak level too.

LJJT

No manager in the world can foresee if a player is going to get injured or not. He was fit enough to play, we tried to rest him but we needed him to come on to try and win the game. He did that but looks like got badly injured in the process.

L1nk

Rashford is injured and that is mismanagement?

You have a crystal ball or something?
No manager in the world can foresee if a player is going to get injured or not. He was fit enough to play, we tried to rest him but we needed him to come on to try and win the game. He did that but looks like got badly injured in the process.
Did he not come out and say Rashford was carrying a knock at Wolves which is why he didn't start, not that he needed a rest, he said he knew it was a risk bringing him on but did so anyway and now it looks like it will have lasting repercussions. So no, I don't need a crystal ball for what Ole actually said himself and the ensuing result of that

matt10000

Did he not come out and say Rashford was carrying a knock at Wolves which is why he didn't start, not that he needed a rest, he said he knew it was a risk bringing him on but did so anyway and now it looks like it will have lasting repercussions. So no, I don't need a crystal ball for what Ole actually said himself and the ensuing result of that
Of course it was a calculated risk. Most footballers are carrying some kind of injury most of the time. You have to decide whether to risk 90 mins, whether to rest them on the bench and risk them if needed or whether they stay at home.

Ole and his team, including medics decided that it is safer to rest but that if needed he could do part of the game. He came on and got injured. No one could have known that he wojld get injured like he dis just that there was a risk. We all drive cars every day and there is a risk you will die but it is a calculated risk.

If Ole hadn’t have brought Rashford we and we had gone on to lose, you would be moaning that he didn’t make a substitute that was obvious and that he was clueless etc....

Unless you work with man utd backroom staff and have access to his medical records there is no way you could have known you are just jumping on anything you can to slate/hate the guy end of.

fergiesarmy1

How many people were unhappy after he got took off against Norwich when he could have been first united player to score a hat trick since van persie which is shocking in itself

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
How can you say that article would be crap if it was written by someone else but not crap because it was written by Mr Wilson? It is either crap or it isn’t?

Do you watch a film and say it is crap and then change you mind because you realise it was produced by a certain producer?
It's being accused of being click-bait, missing stats and biased. None of which is true. Wilson is a good authour, and wrote an on point article. Not liking the content doesn't mean it's bad.

For bad journalism, read anything by a Custis, for example.

The_Order

Is our midfield that bad though? Mctominay has been great. Fred is a very good player. Matic can still be quality on his day. Attacking midfield is very weak though and we are very light up front.
Of course no Pogba is a big blow for the midfield and us not getting anyone this window is pure stupidity or incompetence.

I think the reason we do not rate our midfield that much is because Ole is not making them perform at peak level too.
Ci'mon, do any of those names you mentioned get into the first teams of the teams we should consider rivals?

Liverpool, City, Barca, Bayern,

Matic is ok, but slow and allergic to the opposition half,

Fred is a great ball winner, but lightweight,

McSauce is good, but should be a back up in a top team.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I think this is a fair criticism. Our corners seem to be terrible, which is odd given Ole's background both as a striker and in Norway.

I don't think anyone that supports Ole believes he is the best coach in the world. I think most are seeing progress for the first time since Fergie left and don't want to interrupt it until it stalls at whatever level of which Ole is capable.
Why do I keep reading about how people are seeing progress for the first time since SAF?

We finished LVG’s first season in charge, back in the top four and with a discernible (all be it boring) style of play. Was that not progress after Moyes? Was the FA cup win in his second season not progress?

Was Mourinho winning the Europa league not progress? Was getting the squad to finish second not progress?

This progress talk under Solskjær is utter bollocks.

What progress? Gutting the squad and making tactical feck after tactical feck up?

Paul_Scholes18

Ci'mon, do any of those names you mentioned get into the first teams of the teams we should consider rivals?

Liverpool, City, Barca, Bayern,

Matic is ok, but slow and allergic to the opposition half,

Fred is a great ball winner, but lightweight,

McSauce is good, but should be a back up in a top team.
You underrate them a bit. Liverpools midfielder are not amazing names either. Although they got a proper manager coaching them. So you may think Henderson is world class, but I do think Mctominay has greater potential than him.
Same with City apart from De Bruyne who is special so yes we could need a player like that.
I think De Bruyne is the best midfielder in the world though so hard to find a player like that.
Barca and Bayern have midfields who have dropped down in quality recently too. I would take De Jong from Barca, but not sure that many of the other players would improve us.
Maybe Arthur on his day.

The main problem is Ole making them look worse than they are with our tactics and style. Unlike Pep and Klopp that makes their midfielder look better than they would under lesser managers. Now our midfielders win the ball back well, but have no ideas about what to do with it.

Wolfmother

Supports
Man Utd
You underrate them a bit. Liverpools midfielder are not amazing names either. Although they got a proper manager coaching them. So you may think Henderson is world class, but I do think Mctominay has greater potential than him.
Same with City apart from De Bruyne who is special so yes we could need a player like that.
I think De Bruyne is the best midfielder in the world though so hard to find a player like that.
Barca and Bayern have midfields who have dropped down in quality recently too. I would take De Jong from Barca, but not sure that many of the other players would improve us.
Maybe Arthur on his day.

The main problem is Ole making them look worse than they are with our tactics and style. Unlike Pep and Klopp that makes their midfielder look better than they would under lesser managers. Now our midfielders win the ball back well, but have no ideas about what to do with it.
So your opinion is Matic, Fred and Mctominay where better players before Ole came in? When was this exactly?

Paul_Scholes18

So your opinion is Matic, Fred and Mctominay where better players before Ole came in? When was this exactly?
Matic was obviously better at Chelsea, but age is a factor with him. Mctominay is young so has naturally developed the last year. Although there is so much more potential in him that a better manager could use. Hard to say with Fred though because playing in Ukraine is not the same as here. I think he is playing the same way he did before. Although might need some better instructions about which risks to take and making the right passes. Although it often depends on the movement in front of him too.
I think Mctominay would probably not be suited for a possesion based team at the moment, but more suited for say a Real Madrid, Liverpool, Juventus type midfield.

None of them did better during the 6 months under Mourinho though, but we all know why that was the case.

My man point is that buying the likes of Henderson and Wijnaldum would make little difference for us since the main reason they look great is playing for well drilled sides playing as a unit. I think someone like Valverde for Real and De Jong would improve us since he is so complete and great off the ball too.
Although Busquets and Thiago would be totally crap for us under our current style.

matt10000

Why do I keep reading about how people are seeing progress for the first time since SAF?

We finished LVG’s first season in charge, back in the top four and with a discernible (all be it boring) style of play. Was that not progress after Moyes? Was the FA cup win in his second season not progress?

Was Mourinho winning the Europa league not progress? Was getting the squad to finish second not progress?

This progress talk under Solskjær is utter bollocks.

What progress? Gutting the squad and making tactical feck after tactical feck up?
We could have made more progress if we hadn't continuously sacked managers but that is not Ole's fault he can only deal with the hand he has been dealt.

The progress is obvious to many of us and it is a shame that you don't see it. I hope that Ole takes us all the way back to the pinnacle of English and European football and right now I have no idea whether he will or not, that will take a couple of seasons to become apparent. If he doesn't then at least we will have a younger, hungrier squad with players bought in/home grown that have developed together.

hobbers

The progress is obvious to many of us and it is a shame that you don't see it. I hope that Ole takes us all the way back to the pinnacle of English and European football and right now I have no idea whether he will or not, that will take a couple of seasons to become apparent.
No. And triple no.

The progress, if there is any, is patently not obvious if most people can't fecking see it. :lol:

And it does not take anything like that long to judge a manager with no pedigree and no experience in building title winning sides. And to parrot the line that it does is to buy into the Glazer/Woodward/Ole propaganda that rebuilds take years, and must involve the complete collapse of results in the meantime. That drivel is the absolute antithesis to the philosophies of all the other chronically successful clubs in Europe, most of whom have a fraction of United's financial and historical clout.

Godfather

No. And triple no.

The progress, if there is any, is patently not obvious if most people can't fecking see it. :lol:

And it does not take anything like that long to judge a manager with no pedigree and no experience in building title winning sides. And to parrot the line that it does is to buy into the Glazer/Woodward/Ole propaganda that rebuilds take years, and must involve the complete collapse of results in the meantime. That drivel is the absolute antithesis to the philosophies of all the other chronically successful clubs in Europe, most of whom have a fraction of United's financial and historical clout.
Agreed.

The progress myth is almost as annoying as the the one that Ole's transfers have all been great

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Cant defend or attack. His signings all look like deadwood. Lowest points tally in forever. We're utterly awful to watch. We are a slightly better version of his Cardiff team.

Foxbatt

Of course he is so brilliant he got the shortest player to mark their biggest threat.
The team has given up already. SAF would have been on the touch line screaming non stop.

TrueRed79

Building towards something, progress, lot's of work going on in the background blah blah blah, but the fact remains he is a terrible coach and needs to be binned.

hobbers

Of course he is so brilliant he got the shortest player to mark their biggest threat.
The team has given up already. SAF would have been on the touch line screaming non stop.
Ole will take a 3-0 loss and be delighted with it.

"The fact Liverpool actually bothered to put the ball in our net a few times shows we're a side they take very seriously."

Status
Not open for further replies.