Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Dunno why is there so much desperation to spin and pull whole thing in one or other side, like nobody but them watched a game.
Well said. The name is Manchester United yet fans only care about themselves that way. I'm interested in opinions and ideas, but the fans feels sorry for themselves, desperate probably figured the solution to change is convincing everyone else that only their opinion is the right one. It isn't the solution, so the constant back and forth fight between anti crowds and pro crowds is really tiring, and boring. I mean, nobody is really anti Ole and nobody is pro Ole, not really, this has just been created from habit after LVG and Mourinho. Everyone wants Ole to succeed, everyone have doubts that will happen. How that premiss make for a discussion platform with such an extreme volatile dynamic is incredible. Everyone is just moaning, collective depression.

El Zoido

I just get a good feeling about Ole. Think he gets way too much criticism. I hope he at least gets half of next season.

Dinghy

From watching yesterdays game we weren’t good despite our win unlike the league game. We were also missing players compared to the league game.
City looked anything but comfortable throughout the game, except for maybe the last 5-10 minutes. The gameplan worked as we were in it until the sending off. We were missing important players and had youngsters like Greenwood and Williams starting the game, against a full strength City-side at the Etihad, and still nearly managed to catch up on a two goal advantage.

meamth

Did you see me talking about the game in the league at any point?
Bollocks, if we scored another goal they would have panicked.

Pep himself admitted he liked our style of play, a style of play that the caf experts seems to downplay.

We are the only team who took points from the top 6 sides in the league.
This is done without our key players in different parts of the season.

Results are shit, but Ole has done well under these circumstances.

meamth

Well said. The name is Manchester United yet fans only care about themselves that way. I'm interested in opinions and ideas, but the fans feels sorry for themselves, desperate probably figured the solution to change is convincing everyone else that only their opinion is the right one. It isn't the solution, so the constant back and forth fight between anti crowds and pro crowds is really tiring, and boring. I mean, nobody is really anti Ole and nobody is pro Ole, not really, this has just been created from habit after LVG and Mourinho. Everyone wants Ole to succeed, everyone have doubts that will happen. How that premiss make for a discussion platform with such an extreme volatile dynamic is incredible. Everyone is just moaning, collective depression.
And then that moaners will call the realistic fans delusional, accepting mediocrity, blind faith...

Well you know what, the realistic fans aren't the one attacking people, that's for sure.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
This could be Ole’s golden moment!

When he stood on the sideline, furious, engaged, filled with passion and screamed at Lingard then he went from being a pu@@y, a lame duck to someone who hold his players accountable. At this moment this is exactly what this team and this club needs. No more defensive half lame actions. No more passive management sitting like a statue together with his two other puppets. Finally Ole took a step down and acted like a proper manager.

This approach doesn’t work forever. Horses for courses but her and now it’s his only survival. Take control of your destiny. Win or lose but fu*%ing do it on your own terms.

Next step in the right direction was his post game interview. Finally he talked directly from his heart. I don’t like his nervous smiles and laughs but today I accepted it as long as he was brutal honest in his assessments. He needs to carry on with holding himself, his players and the club accountable. He needs to say what he sees, his honest conclusions and stop dicking around with over positive comments about everything and nothing. That’s the only way he will survive this game. Again, it doesn’t work to be angry and brutal honest every time but yesterday, at this moment it’s the only approach that will work.

To his defense. Some of his players are simply awful and shockingly bad at times. Simple mistakes, brain farts, idiotic decisions and some with a technique worse then a hungry pit bull. Rashford, Pogba, McT and Bruno will definitely make a huge difference but ffs Martial can’t continue as our only striker. Maybe I’m overreacting or asks for miracles but sell him when he still has some value or find a replacement who knows where the fkng goal is.

Ole must also next season brake up the Lindelöf and Maguire partnership. Victor is a liability, Harry too sometimes but together they are leaking like a broken roof. Not to mention Luke fkng Shaw. Do it Ole when you still has a change to survive.

With all this in mind I started to look for positives after the game. I saw Ole as our manager and not the lame version that has made me and other furious and totally blind against every positive progress on and off the pitch. Long my it continue. I don’t looking for miracles, I just want a manager and a coach who cares, holds himself and others accountable and finally takes some responsibility.

Last edited:

jackal&hyde

I just get a good feeling about Ole. Think he gets way too much criticism. I hope he at least gets half of next season.
Me too. He is clearly a good tactician or else you don't get the type of great results he gets in the big games against better teams and "batter" managers. With better players we will break the lesser teams down easier and together with the results in the big games we will have a very good team. Patience.

Velvet Revolver

Me too. He is clearly a good tactician or else you don't get the type of great results he gets in the big games against better teams and "batter" managers. With better players we will break the lesser teams down easier and together with the results in the big games we will have a very good team. Patience.
can you tell me what the tactics are? I am in no way criticizing ole. I have done in the past but i feel sad for him now. But this win at city is in no way or form tactical. For starters no one could possible put lingard in a starting 11 and call it tactical. we were reacting to what City threw at us, in a game where we had to score 2 goals min.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He wins a game in a tie that was done and dusted in the first leg and suddenly the vote changes.On what terms does Ole deserve to remain? CV? Non existent. Tactics? Non existent. Clearing deadwood? Well because of such obsession players like Rashford, McT and Pogba had been run to the ground and guess what? The king of deadwood aka Sanchez is set to come back and according to Ole will prove us all wrong. The only 'deadwood' he got rid off were Young (meah but versatile), Herrera (one of our best players in CM), Lukaku and Smalling (doing wonders in the Serie A). His signings? Maguire and AWB are half decent but not WC while James is all pace. That's 145m for you.

Ole is not our main problem. Actually I see him as a subset of a bigger problem ie Ed Woodward. We would have never gotten Ole as permanent manager if there was a proper CEO and DOF in the place. However he has to go just like Woodward and the Glazers should.

hobbers

He is clearly a good tactician
:lol: No.

He appears to be good at setting up a team to get dominated, defend deep, barely touch the ball and when we do touch it kick it long and hope someone speedy gets through to scrape a counter punch goal. That's one tactic. Being a tactician implies more than one string on the bow.

jackal&hyde

:lol: No.

He appears to be good at setting up a team to get dominated, defend deep, barely touch the ball and when we do touch it kick it long and hope someone speedy gets through to scrape a counter punch goal. That's one tactic. Being a tactician implies more than one string on the bow.
Tactics are more complicated then that :lol:

Water Melon

Very average manager, Molde level. Spent big on defense, the defenders now look worse than when they were transferred. Poor squad management at all levels, dropping like flies (though were promised to be fit and flying). Fully expecting to drop points at the weekend.

always_hoping

Shouting on the sideline and calling out a poor ref after the game was Fergie like from Ole tonight. He'll likely get fined for telling the truth about the ref though.

edcunited1878

Very average manager, Molde level. Spent big on defense, the defenders now look worse than when they were transferred. Poor squad management at all levels, dropping like flies (though were promised to be fit and flying). Fully expecting to drop points at the weekend.
The club spent big on defenders because they had to and it was well overdue. Maguire has been a target since Jose's last season. Both Maguire and AWB have been good, but not always great. Squad is thin on both numbers and quality which isn't Ole's fault. I think a lot of players have improved their stock under Ole this year namely AWB, Williams, Fred, McTominay, Rashford, Greenwood, and some parts of their game like Martial and Pereira.

It's not as doom and gloom as so many believe. It's been consistently inconsistent and frustrating during a time where patience and objectivity are rare.

Shimo

"We need more goalscorers, more goals, someone who wants to break their nose or toe to score," - this was Ole today about hoping to get a forward in by Friday.

What I don't understand is what's the point? We've had 3 different strikers this season and not one of them ever plays a game looking to do that.Today's game, Martial doesn't get in the box when we are looking to get that second goal. Leading up to Matic sending off, ball is on the right hand side and Martial just hangs at the top of the box, no thought of making a run into the box to force the players outside to make the cross. Ball comes across the middle after that and Martial drifts even further to the left still outside the box, eventually receiving all the way on the left hand side where City were able to overload their defense and leaving us with no actual forward to get a ball into. Ultimately losing it easily without even coming close to fashioning any kind of chance.

If he wants our strikers doing what he says, then why is that none of them actually do it? It can't be that he asking for that but, they are just flat out ignoring him game after game. Has to come down coaching at some point. How hard is it to say Martial, stay in between the width of posts, when the ball gets out wide, I want to see you make runs into the box, force the people on the ball to make a decision and the people on the ball, if you see people making a run into the box, then better be doing everything to at least get the ball in.

Pointless to keep saying want to have strikers that get those easy goals when we don't actually play towards that.

norse

How was that close to a perfect tactical performance. The scoreline flattered to deceive. On another day City could have won by 3 goals.
Because the difference in the two teams players’ ability. We don’t have a midfield without Pogba and McTom.

ZenMaster Coltrane

Where do you people come up with these wacky observations? A good tactician? The guy's been managing for 10 years and his long term plan is to build a counter attacking team in 2020, with absolute horseshit patterns of play. It's one thing to be have a malleable system that can shift to playing with more or less possession (you need some next level coaching to train proper transition, pressing triggers etc)...it's another to play a counter attacking system exclusively in 2020 and win the league. It's delusional. And it's obvious to astute observers, that the training is poor. Do players look like they know what option A, B, and C are when playing out from the back? Does it look like there's some drilled in understanding of combination play in the final third, with incisive quick passing, FB overlaps, spacing, bending runs? Absolutely not.

Let us consider this scenario. Imagine this club has a CEO who hires a DOF with total control over recruitment of players and hiring of managers. What competent DOF is hiring OGS? None. He wouldn't even get an interview but because the Glazers are easy to hate, it's "Oh well, give him time, give him better players, blah blah blah". This thinking is equally as embarrassing as the operation of this football club under Woodward.

NoPace

He hasn't done enough to get the job next year and we don't know how to attack really most weeks, but he's shown he knows how to set up a team to be solid and play on the break and he has no problem playing youth, I could see him getting a job at a club that likes to play on the counter like Newcastle once Bruce inevitable has them in the bottom 3 next year after a year away from Benitez turns their defenders back into lemon.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Wins like the one last night so inconvenient for OleOut brigade :lol:

He may be the wrong guy, but I don't think one can make that call until he given the same team quality that his competitors and predecessors have. And so my view won't really change until that eventuality.

jackal&hyde

Where do you people come up with these wacky observations? A good tactician? The guy's been managing for 10 years and his long term plan is to build a counter attacking team in 2020, with absolute horseshit patterns of play. It's one thing to be have a malleable system that can shift to playing with more or less possession (you need some next level coaching to train proper transition, pressing triggers etc)...it's another to play a counter attacking system exclusively in 2020 and win the league. It's delusional. And it's obvious to astute observers, that the training is poor. Do players look like they know what option A, B, and C are when playing out from the back? Does it look like there's some drilled in understanding of combination play in the final third, with incisive quick passing, FB overlaps, spacing, bending runs? Absolutely not.

Let us consider this scenario. Imagine this club has a CEO who hires a DOF with total control over recruitment of players and hiring of managers. What competent DOF is hiring OGS? None. He wouldn't even get an interview but because the Glazers are easy to hate, it's "Oh well, give him time, give him better players, blah blah blah". This thinking is equally as embarrassing as the operation of this football club under Woodward.
By watching football and understanding that you don't get good attacking play with AMs like Lingard and Pereira. Put those two in Citys system and give us KDB and Silva and then we talk about "patterns". If things will look the same with Bruno and Pogba in the team i'l stand corrected, but i highly doubt that.

elánius

We barely had one chance, not many players from our team would score from that spot like Matic did (maybe Mata and thats it), on the other hand, our best player was de Gea and City missed some huge opportunities (Aguero and Sterling). We were lucky they didnt fininsh us 10 minutes in game or they didnt finish us from a lot of their counter attacks. But even after game like this, they are still in the final and we were not even close to make it at least to penalties.

Are we seriously going to hype our manager because of that? He proved someone wrong? He is a clearly good tactician?
Guys please, keep it real.

What was the masterplan? De Gea will keep us in the game while we wont create anything and somehow ManCity are going to let us through like PSG did or VAR will help us from desperation? This is just hoping for the best without any plan, like small clubs used to play against TOP6 in the past. They defended with 10 men, hoped their goalkeeper will save 1-2 chances their defence wont stop and then they hoped for some counter attack miracle. Unacceptable all day long and nothing we can build on. Our defence is still really weak even though we play with 5 defenders and after we spent a lot of money over there.

Bondi77

He screamed at Lingard and said ‘ do that again and you’re off, Come on!
He then hauled him off ten minutes later and hugged him smiling at the touch line, that is a mixed message if ever I have seen one and if it was Fergie he would not have even made eye contact with him.
How does it end up with us getting a free kick in the latter stages of the game in our best position all game and Fred is taking it in front of Mata or even Andreas, surely these decisions must be made before the game.
I cannot work out what is going on.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I was expecting us to lose by 2-3 goals, so it was a good surprise that we won. We were lucky in few moments but that's how it is. When the line up was announced I was expecting worse and was ready to take 0-0 or 1-0 loss.

Fred and Matic did well, with Pogba, McTominay coming back we should have decent team along with Bruno as attacking mid.

elánius

By watching football and understanding that you don't get good attacking play with AMs like Lingard and Pereira. Put those two in Citys system and give us KDB and Silva and then we talk about "patterns". If things will look the same with Bruno and Pogba in the team i'l stand corrected, but i highly doubt that.
So manager is irelevant, only palyers matters? And who exactly put Lingard or Pereira in starting XI? Was it Lingard himself? Who is praising Lingard all the time? Why we didnt play Mata instead one of them? Why we dont try Gomes when Olé wants to build it on young guns? Was it really different with Pogba on the pitch? I dont think so.

jackal&hyde

So manager is irelevant, only palyers matters? And who exactly put Lingard or Pereira in starting XI? Was it Lingard himself? Who is praising Lingard all the time? Why we didnt play Mata instead one of them? Why we dont try Gomes when Olé wants to build it on young guns? Was it really different with Pogba on the pitch? I dont think so.
Players are more important yes. Lingard and Pereira are our options, we are not keeping Messi and Maradona on the bench for them. Mata doesn't have the legs for a match like that and Gomes is not ready. With Pogba in we tend to have an easier time braking teams down yes, we missed him this season.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
"We need more goalscorers, more goals, someone who wants to break their nose or toe to score," - this was Ole today about hoping to get a forward in by Friday.

What I don't understand is what's the point? We've had 3 different strikers this season and not one of them ever plays a game looking to do that.Today's game, Martial doesn't get in the box when we are looking to get that second goal. Leading up to Matic sending off, ball is on the right hand side and Martial just hangs at the top of the box, no thought of making a run into the box to force the players outside to make the cross. Ball comes across the middle after that and Martial drifts even further to the left still outside the box, eventually receiving all the way on the left hand side where City were able to overload their defense and leaving us with no actual forward to get a ball into. Ultimately losing it easily without even coming close to fashioning any kind of chance.

If he wants our strikers doing what he says, then why is that none of them actually do it? It can't be that he asking for that but, they are just flat out ignoring him game after game. Has to come down coaching at some point. How hard is it to say Martial, stay in between the width of posts, when the ball gets out wide, I want to see you make runs into the box, force the people on the ball to make a decision and the people on the ball, if you see people making a run into the box, then better be doing everything to at least get the ball in.

Pointless to keep saying want to have strikers that get those easy goals when we don't actually play towards that.
I have the feeling martial is almost uncoachable and will play"his" game whatever the instructions. He hasn't changed in 4 years.

thepolice123

We barely had one chance, not many players from our team would score from that spot like Matic did (maybe Mata and thats it), on the other hand, our best player was de Gea and City missed some huge opportunities (Aguero and Sterling). We were lucky they didnt fininsh us 10 minutes in game or they didnt finish us from a lot of their counter attacks. But even after game like this, they are still in the final and we were not even close to make it at least to penalties.

Are we seriously going to hype our manager because of that? He proved someone wrong? He is a clearly good tactician?
Guys please, keep it real.

What was the masterplan? De Gea will keep us in the game while we wont create anything and somehow ManCity are going to let us through like PSG did or VAR will help us from desperation? This is just hoping for the best without any plan, like small clubs used to play against TOP6 in the past. They defended with 10 men, hoped their goalkeeper will save 1-2 chances their defence wont stop and then they hoped for some counter attack miracle. Unacceptable all day long and nothing we can build on. Our defence is still really weak even though we play with 5 defenders and after we spent a lot of money over there.
I enjoyed the win just as much as the next guy. But its truly mind boggling hearing some of the fans here calling it a tactical masterclass. It was the same tactic from the first leg ffs, City were shite and couldn't finish even their dinner.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
This could be Ole’s golden moment!

When he stood on the sideline, furious, engaged, filled with passion and screamed at Lingard then he went from being a pu@@y, a lame duck to someone who hold his players accountable. At this moment this is exactly what this team and this club needs. No more defensive half lame actions. No more passive management sitting like a statue together with his two other puppets. Finally Ole took a step down and acted like a proper manager.

This approach doesn’t work forever. Horses for courses but her and now it’s his only survival. Take control of your destiny. Win or lose but fu*%ing do it on your own terms.

Next step in the right direction was his post game interview. Finally he talked directly from his heart. I don’t like his nervous smiles and laughs but today I accepted it as long as he was brutal honest in his assessments. He needs to carry on with holding himself, his players and the club accountable. He needs to say what he sees, his honest conclusions and stop dicking around with over positive comments about everything and nothing. That’s the only way he will survive this game. Again, it doesn’t work to be angry and brutal honest every time but yesterday, at this moment it’s the only approach that will work.

To his defense. Some of his players are simply awful and shockingly bad at times. Simple mistakes, brain farts, idiotic decisions and some with a technique worse then a hungry pit bull. Rashford, Pogba, McT and Bruno will definitely make a huge difference but ffs Martial can’t continue as our only striker. Maybe I’m overreacting or asks for miracles but sell him when he still has some value or find a replacement who knows where the fkng goal is.

Ole must also next season brake up the Lindelöf and Maguire partnership. Victor is a liability, Harry too sometimes but together they are leaking like a broken roof. Not to mention Luke fkng Shaw. Do it Ole when you still has a change to survive.

With all this in mind I started to look for positives after the game. I saw Ole as our manager and not the lame version that has made me and other furious and totally blind against every positive progress on and off the pitch. Long my it continue. I don’t looking for miracles, I just want a manager and a coach who cares, holds himself and others accountable and finally takes some responsibility.
Good post, and i agree, him showing some passion on the sidelines was long overdue. I also found his honesty in the post match interview very refreshing.

There have been several reports of him giving them the hairdryer behind closed doors, but so far i think his strategy regarding the press has been to be as vague as possible. I dont want him to have a meltdown like Jose did, but its ok to admit that not everything is fine and dandy when everyone can see its clearly not.

Seeing him give Lindgard a bollocking was incredibly satisfying, hopefully Bruno settles quickly and that was the last we seen of that clown for a while. I also think his comments regarding "a striker wanting to break his nose to score goals" was a pretty clear signal regarding Martial. Martial has talent in abundance (when he wants too), but feck me that was some insipid shite he served up yesterday. I badly want him (Martial) to succeeded here, but hes been doing this shite for 4 years now, where he looks world class for a couple of games only to serve up a stinker like this for another few games

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I enjoyed the win just as much as the next guy. But its truly mind boggling hearing some of the fans here calling it a tactical masterclass. It was the same tactic from the first leg ffs, City were shite and couldn't finish even their dinner.
Well i am no tactical expert (and i assume you are neither) so lets just take the obvious facts here
  • We were away from home, in an incredibly difficult tie. We needed to attack, but the the same time if City score one or two its curtains. That balance is very hard to achieve
  • City's squad is lightyears ahead of us, especially considering we have 3 first team players out, 4 if you count Bruno
  • City and the ref were cnuts. They got away with tactical fouls all game, but then Matic is sent off for two similar fouls, the first one incredibly soft
  • Pep is seen as superb coach, so considering the circumstances, he should easily just rip us apart right`?
  • We play counter attack because that fits our squad the best. Also, since when did counter attack suddenly become "small time" tactics? Liverpool are doing it currently and they are walking the league and have yet to lose this season. Just because Barcelona looked amazing at the turn of the decade does not mean possession football is superior
Masterclass i dont know, but it was a solid tactical performance from us

thepolice123

Good post, and i agree, him showing some passion on the sidelines was long overdue. I also found his honesty in the post match interview very refreshing.

There have been several reports of him giving them the hairdryer behind closed doors, but so far i think his strategy regarding the press has been to be as vague as possible. I dont want him to have a meltdown like Jose did, but its ok to admit that not everything is fine and dandy when everyone can see its clearly not.

Seeing him give Lindgard a bollocking was incredibly satisfying, hopefully Bruno settles quickly and that was the last we seen of that clown for a while. I also think his comments regarding "a striker wanting to break his nose to score goals" was a pretty clear signal regarding Martial. Martial has talent in abundance (when he wants too), but feck me that was some insipid shite he served up yesterday. I badly want him (Martial) to succeeded here, but hes been doing this shite for 4 years now, where he looks world class for a couple of games only to serve up a stinker like this for another few games
Lingard's shite passing really got him riled up because it looked like he did it out of pure frustration compared the drama queens Klopp and Pep.

Its like that nice PE teacher you used to be friendly with but he snaps one day and it absolutely terrifies you.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
City looked anything but comfortable throughout the game, except for maybe the last 5-10 minutes. The gameplan worked as we were in it until the sending off. We were missing important players and had youngsters like Greenwood and Williams starting the game, against a full strength City-side at the Etihad, and still nearly managed to catch up on a two goal advantage.
Thats probably because they're actually not that good this season... i mean we've beaten them twice already. It was an absolutely diabolical performance. And I know for a fact if it was anyone else in charge, people would be harping on about how we should have gone for it since we went out anyway... what difference would it have made if we lost yesterday? City were clearly there for the taking yet we refused to attack.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner

Agreed. Frustrated me so much, we need a goal and we have Dan James in box looking lost.

Ok we have no attackers suited to the role (who's fault is that?) So he doesn't put Maguire up front until the 89th minute when we need a goal in a cup tie. Makes no sense.

It was almost like, we beat City again. I'll take that, don't want to risk the draw.

ZenMaster Coltrane

You're watching and observing something in another dimension then. If this guy wants to compare his situation to Klopp and Liverpool every 8 hours then let us look at how Liverpool's style transformed even with sub-optimal players. You could see the system, where it was going immediately. Upgrades took them up a further notch.

Klopp and OGS (Premier League)
Klopp15/1616//1717/1818/1919/20
Goals (For:Against)55:4078:4284:3889:2256:15
Goals per game1.832.052.212.342.33
OGS
Goals---36:2536:29
Goals per game--1.791.72 (1.71 Mourinho)1.50

Liverpool in 14/15 under Rogers, was 1.37 Gpg. For the beginning of 15/16, it was 1.0 Gpg.
United in 17/18 under Mourinho, was 1.79 Gpg.

The stats show the progression under Klopp immediately just like the superior changes in pressing and style were easily observed.

So now you can proceed to argue that Liverpool's 15/16 squad (which went to the Europa League final) with the likes of Benteke, Toure, Leiva, Clyne, Ibe, Moreno, Mignolet (all with at least 30 appearances) was superior to United this year and last.

Even United under OGS last year is below Klopp's first season at Liverpool in terms of Gpg.

Last edited:

Jeffthered

I'ts just Dawned on Jeffthered that maybe City are a bit better than us at the moment. :lol:
Please, please respond with a comment rather than simple, opinionated sarcasm. Your comment is pointless. City have actually been beaten this season, by other teams. Our victory was no great one, or well deserved. And we lost a semi final without much of a showing. And OGS seems pretty OK, as do, it seems, some fans.

It's because we have become a club with limited ambitions. We look, Sound and play that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.