Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Fantasy? In which way is the re-build a fantasy? All the players gone out are a fantasy? The focus on fitness levels, pressing and style of play is a fantasy? The 3 year plan is a fantasy? The purchases of young hungry players is a fantasy? I think Ole has done all he promised to do, he said from the beginning this was going to take time. And if you had not noticed, the squad was pretty fecked up when he took over, and still is far from good enough. You are the one with the fantasy imo.

A Re-build takes time. And in the long run is the best thing to do. Short term quick fixes will deliver short term successes and failures. Slowly rebuilding correctly gives long lasting success. But not instant glory.

Ole In / downfall to the keyboard warrior condescenders
It seems that anyone would have done it all anyway, but better, and all that whilst producing consistent victories and sparkling attacking football

C'est Moi Cantona

McKenna being a better coach than Ole might not be too far fetched tbh.
Mckenna was lauded as the U18's coach, not in small part because he was getting them to play light years better than Sbargia's U23's bunch, if he now has more ideas than Ole then I'm worried, he should be been guided himself by the world class coach that we have at the helm, that allows himself to take his career to the next level, and where Carrick falls in all this I have no idea.

Seemingly the managerial setup mirrors the 'board' setup, clueless.

spiriticon

Who is RedReveal and why are they spreading nonsense?

In fact, why are so many twitter accounts spreading shit lately?

el3mel

Fantasy? In which way is the re-build a fantasy? All the players gone out are a fantasy? The focus on fitness levels, pressing and style of play is a fantasy? The 3 year plan is a fantasy? The purchases of young hungry players is a fantasy? I think Ole has done all he promised to do, he said from the beginning this was going to take time. And if you had not noticed, the squad was pretty fecked up when he took over, and still is far from good enough. You are the one with the fantasy imo.

A Re-build takes time. And in the long run is the best thing to do. Short term quick fixes will deliver short term successes and failures. Slowly rebuilding correctly gives long lasting success. But not instant glory.

That's what @Seij is talking about. Convincing people about this rebuilding project BS and that it'll take time so that he keeps his job safe. Absolutely no indication considering what we're seeing on the pitch regularly that 5 years from now and 500m more spent we'll be anywhere better under his guidance with such style of play. Just like cultural changes, these are BS narratives pushed by Ole to convince everyone he's doing a great job and he should keep his position, and you're falling into it just like the majority of Ole supporters who are supporting him for the sole purpose of proving to others that they're the real fans who know the real way of supporting the club and that they have longer sight than us.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Mckenna was lauded as the U18's coach, not in small part because he was getting them to play light years better than Sbargia's U23's bunch, if he now has more ideas than Ole then I'm worried, he should be been guided himself by the world class coach that we have at the helm, that allows himself to take his career to the next level, and where Carrick falls in all this I have no idea.

Seemingly the managerial setup mirrors the 'board' setup, clueless.
McKenna is a fantastic young coach potentially that has gone from u18s to being the main man at first team level. Such responsibility thrust on him is a little unfair but sadly we've put ourselves in a situation where McKenna is the most talented coach we have and by default he has to take charge.

mu4c_20le

No need to get defensive and bring up the current Arsenal headcoach who is irrelevant to the discussion.
They both learned from the best but have no actual experience, nor won any trophies. I'd say it's a more realistic comparison:)

C'est Moi Cantona

McKenna is a fantastic young coach potentially that has gone from u18s to being the main man at first team level. Such responsibility thrust on him is a little unfair but sadly we've put ourselves in a situation where McKenna is the most talented coach we have and by default he has to take charge.
Which is pathetic, Giggs for all his haters no doubt learnt loads from LvG, and Mckenna should be learning how to become better, not be the leader, we will run the risk of losing him as well if we are not careful.

I appreciate this story is hearsay, but it is so blatantly believable.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
They both learned from the best but have no actual experience, nor won any trophies. I'd say it's a more realistic comparison:)
Learning from the best is when you're working alongside the best in a coaching role. Arteta did that but Ole didn't.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Which is pathetic, Giggs for all his haters no doubt learnt loads from LvG, and Mckenna should be learning how to become better, not be the leader, we will run the risk of losing him as well if we are not careful.

I appreciate this story is hearsay, but it is so blatantly believable.
It's a shambles.

hobbers

:lol: How are they not fantasies?! Jesus christ, our squad has an abysmal injury record and looks like one of the least fit sides in the league even after Ole's whole "we just need a pre season to get the boys in shape" spiel. Ole has even caused his best players to get injured through just sheer idiocy.

We don't have a style of play any pundit or fan can point to and say "wow this team is great to watch". We've had about 4 halves of good football all fecking season! We look tumescent, bereft of ideas and worse than at any point under Mourinho, Moyes or LVG against any side not in the top 6.

Any talk of a 3 year plan is obviously bullshit. No one should be stupid enough to buy that crap by now. LVG and Mourinho were all about the mythical "3 year plan"... it's vacuous crap. And if it doesn't slide from top managers (in their day), why should it slide as an excuse for a managerial no-mark like Ole? And at least Mourinho and LVG didn't need to detour the club to true lower-mid table levels of performances and results (or relegation candidate performances from Ole's United in 2020) on the journey through their 3 year plans.

Purchasing young hungry players... well the jury is still very much out on that one. Maguire is worse than he was last season. AWB is worse than he was last season. James is a Championship quality of player and doesn't look like he'll ever be much more than an impact sub.

Paul_Scholes18

:lol: How are they not fantasies?! Jesus christ, our squad has an abysmal injury record and looks like one of the least fit sides in the league even after Ole's whole "we just need a pre season to get the boys in shape" spiel. Ole has even caused his best players to get injured through just sheer idiocy.

We don't have a style of play any pundit or fan can point to and say "wow this team is great to watch". We've had about 4 halves of good football all fecking season! We look tumescent, bereft of ideas and worse than at any point under Mourinho, Moyes or LVG against any side not in the top 6.

Any talk of a 3 year plan is obviously bullshit. No one should be stupid enough to buy that crap by now. LVG and Mourinho were all about the mythical "3 year plan"... it's vacuous crap. And if it doesn't slide from top managers (in their day), why should it slide as an excuse for a managerial no-mark like Ole? And at least Mourinho and LVG didn't need to detour the club to true lower-mid table levels of performances and results (or relegation candidate performances from Ole's United in 2020) on the journey through their 3 year plans.

Purchasing young hungry players... well the jury is still very much out on that one. Maguire is worse than he was last season. AWB is worse than he was last season. James is a Championship quality of player and doesn't look like he'll ever be much more than an impact sub.
We press well at times though. That is probably the best we do. Still conceding goals on set pieces for fun.
Also not doing much with the ball.

I do think Maguire is better than last year. He was pretty poor for Leicester from what I can remember. They did concede a lot and didn't play that well before they got Rodgers.

lRed

Foundations for what?. Counter attacking and being happy to be here?. It’s easy to say words like transition and foundations but you have to look what is actually happening.

Ole wasn’t brought in to lay foundations and he has no ability or pedigree to do so. He was a punt based on a caretaker spell, with the added bonus of being a club legend to buy all the idiots above him time. There’s nothing clever about appointing Ole or anything the club is doing or has done since.

I think even people who want Ole to stay have now realised that he is such a limited manager he’s never going to win titles, or even get close to that.

More than someone who supposedly ‘gets the club’ (don’t think people even know what that means) we need someone who can drag us into this era of football. Knowing the club is a cliche that means very little.

If Ole was transforming the way we play and there was an actual transition taking place and a platform being built for the next manager it would make some sense to stick with him despite the awful performance.
The narrative about Ole's football being based on counter attacking is hilarious.
Did you watch any games since December 2018 ? Like for real ?

el3mel

The narrative about Ole's football being based on counter attacking is hilarious.
If you think otherwise then you are probably the one who hasn't been watching us.

hobbers

Can you point to any game we've won under Ole this season that wasn't based on counter attacking?

lRed

Can you point to any game we've won under Ole this season that wasn't based on counter attacking?
Chelsea (H&A), Norwich (A&H), Brighton (H), Tottenham (H), Newcastle (H), Burnley (A).
Colchester (H), Partizan (H&A), AZ (H), Astana (H), Wolves (H), Tranmere (A).

Last edited:

Seij

We are a top 3 richest and most popular club in the world. There is absolutely no reason to excuse this dross for a year. This is not some FM season where you promote and sign a bunch of young players and auto play the season trusting a scout predicted growth curve. I don't see any sign of improvement in the way we play. In fact, we look worse than a year ago if anything.

This "squad is fecked over" doesn't make sense. He is the one that thinned the squad to this extent and didn't replace them properly. Our 3 "brilliant signings" all look worse after being managed by Ole for several months than they did initially. Ole is the one emphatically stated "football is easy when you have good players" when we were in good form. Then he blamed lack of fitness when the results went off the cliff and said he'll need the summer to work on the players' fitness. Then when the results this season didn't improve at all he basically wrote off the season saying this season is really for him to assess the squad and rebuild. He keeps coming up with excuses and you're eating them up like candies.

Tell me, if our manager's name was David Moyes and he was doing exactly the same thing with same results as Ole to date, would you be still singing "Moyes in / downfall to the keyboarder warrior condescenders"? Actually, don't answer that since I know your answer already and I don't believe it.

littleman

Come on, a few months ago there were posters talking about whispers how McKenna was a genius.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

We're all just fools to the MUFC briefings and astroturfing.

Look where this genius and shining beacon Ole have led us to in the table.

The worst thing is how poorly the team seems to play.. genius coaching? GENIUS PR

Roboc7

Can only assume you do not know meaning or word narrative, counter attacking football and have not figured out sometimes the opposition don’t let us counter attack (those are the games we do terrible in next time your watching).

Surely a lazy attempt at being a WUM.

Last edited:

jamesjimmybyrondean

Youre using the word special in here a lot - I don't know why. I'm not claiming that he is doing anything special, merely what this club needs right now in my opinion. I've stated from way back that I will be more harsh in my own personal expectations of him next season. This one for me was always about transition and laying foundations and I'm happy with what has been done so far.

Its easy to be critical of most managers if the desire is there to do so. Some will say Pochettino failed to win anything and blew a very winnable title race. Guardiola needed the time and financial backing to complete an already competent squad before City looked anything special. I rate both of those guys highly for the record, and also think every job is different and comparisons are largely a waste of effort.
He shouldn't be here next season. We would probably sign more players in the summer that Ole deems the right fit and I'm expecting the squad to look solid then. But Ole will underachieve with such a squad just like he's underachieving with this one currently.

The only foundation Ole has laid is promoting youth, clearing deadwood and recruiting young hungry players. He's built a young squad so far which is what coaches like Pochettino, Rose, Nagelsmann or Ten Hag works with. Give any of these coaches the budget or the improved squad Ole will get this summer transfer window and they will perform better than he would with the improved squad.

Ole has done well in the sense that he has shown Ed and the board what they need to do and what the fans want. Attacking football, signing the right fit, promoting youth, clearing average players etc. And this is good because now we can look for a good coach that ticks all these boxes. We can continue signing the right fit and doing the good work of Ole but with better coaching. It will look like Ole never left but with better football. Give Ole next season and he will underachieve (like he is doing now) even after getting new players and a solid squad. Give a better coach the job next season, continue signing the right fit, continue playing attacking football, clearing deadwood etc and we're on the right course

romufc

Ighalo as a panic buy. We didn't have enough attackers from the start. One players gets injured and we are pushed to rush for a striker.
We have 5 clean sheets this season. Not very solid given how few points we have. If we scored loads and still won games it would matter less, but we have not so keeping clean sheet is more important than it is for say Man City.
Yeah you got a point that speculations should not matter. I do not know what we actually do when it comes to negociations, but we have been very poor in the market under him in my opinion when it comes to the results.
Half the players have got worse under him. It is hard how much Ole is to do with all those things. Although as a team we have got worse which is on him.
I think he might deserve some credit for Rashfords ability to score goals this season.
Although his problems in the build up and how to play against defensive sides is something that we have not improved upon even with Rashford.

Hard to know how good the morale is. It is probably better than the end during Mourinhos time here and it was very high after that when Ole took over. Although we do not look to play with much confidence this season. Rashford did, but he is probably one of few that has this season and we know he is naturally a very strong character with high confidence.
Greenwood has shown some confidence too, but has declined now near the end a bit. His management of Williams has been pretty good gradually giving him games so would give him some credit for him.

How shall we be able to attract top players when we might even miss Europa league? Pogba might leave too. Not seeing how he is making it easier for us to bring top players in for future windows.
Just to clarify, I do not think he is the man to lead us post this season. We need a new manager, to me it seems Ole is a yes man to the players too, he doesn't seem to have that aura about him to manage United.

Even though I do not think he is the right man, I feel he has made changes that will benefit us in the future.

The reason we rushed for a striker is because in the summer, they didnt feel anyone they wanted was available and wait for another year. This way we will have an idea if Martial will make it here as a No. 9, and it seems he wont.

Our defence: We have improved but even if we keep clean sheets, to win games we need to score and we don't.

I think hes signings have been good, better than signings made by any of the last 3 managers.

IN respects to Greenwood, I can appreciate not giving him too much pressure etc, but as the manager you have come out and said he is the most natural finisher, that means to me he is brilliant in the box, yet we play him RW and Martial CF when he doesnt even get into the box. Some will say he is too young, I don't buy that because Haland at 19 is playing week in week out, Trent was playing weekly at 18. We can play him this season and when we sign a ST have him back up again?

Giggsyking

Come on, a few months ago there were posters talking about whispers how McKenna was a genius.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

The worst thing is how poorly the team seems to play.. genius coaching? GENIUS PR
Ole is a genius in a way. How he convinced the board about his many years plan and more importantly how he convinced some of our fans about it is amazing. Do not underestimate him.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Amazing John cross story is just taken as truth without any doubt.

Yeah ManUtd players complained about the training and revealed it to John Cross, who has history of fabricating stories.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
People talk about counter attacking as though it is an ugly tactic. What is it now is just a lazy criticism, and usually from the same individuals who criticise coaching. Sometimes it is just the right fit for a team. United are still 20th out of 20 in terms of long balls played, so its not as if we are pumping it long to our forwards Allardyce style. Far from it in fact. There is a clear intention to play the ball out from the back whenever possible, and while this occasionally gets us into trouble (like most teams), its the way we should be looking to play - which incidentally would not have been possible with Smalling in the team.

Our lazy reputation for counter-attacking actually stems from a coaching team understanding and adapting to what this team hasn't had - creative midfield players. We struggle when opponents defend deep because of this, so how do we counteract that? The only way we can, by trying to engineer situations where our forwards can receive the ball in space, which is when they become quite lethal. Its not really a shock or any kind of insult to the staff - if anything its more of a compliment. We have a squad that have serious creativity issues when Pogba is unavailable (so basically always) and they are making the most of what they have got. Many of our poorest results have come from matches where we have held a territorial advantage for the most part, so I really don't see what the issue is with this. Its just another boring argument from people looking anywhere they can for reasons to criticise.

Roboc7

People talk about counter attacking as though it is an ugly tactic. What is it now is just a lazy criticism, and usually from the same individuals who criticise coaching. Sometimes it is just the right fit for a team. United are still 20th out of 20 in terms of long balls played, so its not as if we are pumping it long to our forwards Allardyce style. Far from it in fact. There is a clear intention to play the ball out from the back whenever possible, and while this occasionally gets us into trouble (like most teams), its the way we should be looking to play - which incidentally would not have been possible with Smalling in the team.

Our lazy reputation for counter-attacking actually stems from a coaching team understanding and adapting to what this team hasn't had - creative midfield players. We struggle when opponents defend deep because of this, so how do we counteract that? The only way we can, by trying to engineer situations where our forwards can receive the ball in space, which is when they become quite lethal. Its not really a shock or any kind of insult to the staff - if anything its more of a compliment. We have a squad that have serious creativity issues when Pogba is unavailable (so basically always) and they are making the most of what they have got. Many of our poorest results have come from matches where we have held a territorial advantage for the most part, so I really don't see what the issue is with this. Its just another boring argument from people looking anywhere they can for reasons to criticise.
How is it a criticism if it’s how we play and how the manager chooses to play. What people have to realise is Ole isn’t a top class coach or a manager, not even close. Basic tactics, limited playing style etc is what we should expect, that’s the manager we hired. There’s no point pretending he is anything but that or has anything in common with the best managers.

One minute Ole is laying foundations and focused on the future the next he’s making most of what he’s got (mind you that’s a bit of a stretch) and only playing this way because he has to.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
He shouldn't be here next season. We would probably sign more players in the summer that Ole deems the right fit and I'm expecting the squad to look solid then. But Ole will underachieve with such a squad just like he's underachieving with this one currently.

The only foundation Ole has laid is promoting youth, clearing deadwood and recruiting young hungry players. He's built a young squad so far which is what coaches like Pochettino, Rose, Nagelsmann or Ten Hag works with. Give any of these coaches the budget or the improved squad Ole will get this summer transfer window and they will perform better than he would with the improved squad.

Ole has done well in the sense that he has shown Ed and the board what they need to do and what the fans want. Attacking football, signing the right fit, promoting youth, clearing average players etc. And this is good because now we can look for a good coach that ticks all these boxes. We can continue signing the right fit and doing the good work of Ole but with better coaching. It will look like Ole never left but with better football. Give Ole next season and he will underachieve (like he is doing now) even after getting new players and a solid squad. Give a better coach the job next season, continue signing the right fit, continue playing attacking football, clearing deadwood etc and we're on the right course
Clearing deadwoods is like crediting the dynamite team that clears the rubbles to build the taj mahal

Any manager can do the culling, what saf did was culling on the fly while keeping standards high. What ole did was brining the dynamite and blows the wrong part. While spending the budget on something that doesnt need to be blown up but he blew anyway.

And still we dont have a fecking roof

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Ole is a huge problem, or the biggest problem why we play so poorly. Having said that, that coaching team has been around for a long time, it is time to change that as well imo. I wouldn't trust them if a new manager came in

lRed

Can only assume you do not know meaning or word narrative, counter attacking football and have not figured out sometimes the opposition don’t let us counter attack (those are the games we do terrible in next time your watching).

Surely a lazy attempt at being a WUM.
Well, if you actually watch our games, you could see we are always building possession from the back with Lindelöf and Maguire, they find the right passes to break the lines and to play fast through. They play in the little spaces with quick passes and often forward. We also keep the ball a lot more than before with Jose. We use our fullbacks way more and they participate on the building part and last movement (crosses, key passes through the lines).

But, McTominay and Pogba are injured all the time, Lingard and Andreas are ineffective creatively and our forwards have been out injured too or out of form. You also can see that we don't have any viable options on the right flank, James being unrecognizable for few weeks now. And now Rashford is out, we have a problem on the left wing. Our squad was already paper thin but with all theses injuries and out of form players, it's complicated for any manager, even the better. And I know there are a lot of better managers than Solskjaer but he'll give all he have for our club and will put the culture first, the one why we felt in love with Manchester United.

So no, our playing style is not counter attacking, surely not. And yes, Ole lacks a lot of things to implement the kind of football he wants his team to play. Once we have all our players back and 2-3 additions in the summer (DM, RW, CAM), I'm sure we'll more progress than we actually see.

crossy1686

career ending

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Forget Ole is the manager for one second and let's pretend its Pep, Klopp, Pochettino, whomever you want. Then look at the squad and tell me where you think the current set of players realistically have a chance of finishing.

Top 6?
Top 4?
Top 2?

wolvored

Ole is a huge problem, or the biggest problem why we play so poorly. Having said that, that coaching team has been around for a long time, it is time to change that as well imo. I wouldn't trust them if a new manager came in
I agree. If we do go down the road of bringing in a successful manager, then let him bring his own staff with him. McKenna and Carrick are both novices and shouldnt be the main men. Phelan bragged he ran the club under Fergie, but like his spell at Hull it shows he isnt all he thinks he is.

wolvored

Forget Ole is the manager for one second and let's pretend its Pep, Klopp, Pochettino, whomever you want. Then look at the squad and tell me where you think the current set of players realistically have a chance of finishing.

Top 6?
Top 4?
Top 2?
Better coaching would have u top 4 at least. Who bought in James as a top striker/winger? Who bought in Wan B when he wanted a RWB? Who hasnt improved the team one bit in 14 months? Lets hope Bruno is the real deal and doesnt get coached poorer than when he came.

wolvored

Greenwood and Williams were promoted this season. Is this considered as "significantly improving" them?

McTominay was already on the upward projectory under Mourinho and playing solidly. He is also getting near his prime playing years whereas under Mourinho he was a 20-21 year old who had just been promoted to the 1st team.

Rashford is now a 22 year old with 170 senior appearances under his belt for United and England. I'd say it was more likely that he would improve with age and experience rather than decline as it happens for most players.

Is Martial really significantly improved under Ole? I don't know about that. He still comes across as a player with pace and very good dribbling skills but inconsistent. He is also significantly more experienced now than when he first started playing for Mourinho.

Fred barely got any games under Mourinho as he came during the summer Mourinho threw a fit at Woodward and crashed the ship so that he can get paid off and leave.

Is Lindelof really that much better now than he was under Mourinho? I don't think so. In fact, I think many fans started to notice his flaws more during this season.

I honestly think it's grasping at the straws to make the argument that Ole did a job on these players that no other average or below average manager would have.

If there one thing I can truly give Ole a massive round of applause for is his ability to play up this "rebuild" fantasy to keep a job he's massively underqualified for forever.
Well said.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
How is it a criticism if it’s how we play and how the manager chooses to play. What people have to realise is Ole isn’t a top class coach or a manager, not even close. Basic tactics, limited playing style etc is what we should expect, that’s the manager we hired. There’s no point pretending he is anything but that or has anything in common with the best managers.

One minute Ole is laying foundations and focused on the future the next he’s making most of what he’s got (mind you that’s a bit of a stretch) and only playing this way because he has to.
Honestly it get so tiresome arguing on here when every post just descends immediately into the bolded line above. Where does a conversation go from there exactly? You have no idea what constitutes a top class coach any more than I or the rest of this board does. When people say 'coaching is shit' what they actually mean is 'results are shit'. Its time people accepted that there are gaping holes in our squad that cant be solved by coaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.