Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Womp

idiot
Fair enough. I think it would be best to judge him at the end of this season. I am happy with the way he has managed us since Bruno joined but consistency is the key.

One thing I really like about him is his man management. It has been top notch since he joined and the below quote further proves it.

If I'm being completely honest, I don't think his ability as a coach will ever be enough on his own to bridge the gap on Klopp, Pep etc. I do agree with the man management though. Players seem to want to play for him and he refuses to accept losing, has a bit of SAF about him in that regard. That's why, I think if he can surround himself with top class coaches, like SAF did, we can win honours and be competitive. Our coaching over the past few years has been diabolical though, hopefully our recent form is evidence of a change in that trend.

Gasolin

I've already alluded to our improvement since Bruno came in, that was part of my premise - how reliant we are on him. Also no-one has claimed we only play counter attacking football, I don't know what you are talking about. My post was responding to another's post who referred to big games we won to justify not to be cautious, big games in which we did play counter-attacking football.

He may well be improving players, that's the minimum expectation for a manager in today's climate, if he wasn't doing that, he would be getting rightly sacked ala Mourinho. I'm happy with Ole and he's doing well as of late, but I don't seem to have my head in the sand about how great everything seems to be under him, as I've made that mistake far too often with this club in the past.
But which team doesn’t rely on their star players?!? That’s a strange statement for me. You are lucky to have those players, that’s life. Would City not rely on KdB?

The fact that now we have Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, Bruno, Pogba and to a certain extend, Matic is what’s helping us because when one under performs or is double marked, the others get the space automatically. And I think that’s the objective in football!!! That’s how you make the other teams fear you. Before they could shut Pogba down and it was over. For me, that’s the right idea.

Depth of the squad will be important to win titles. I think Ole sees that.

Mainoldo

Fair enough. I think it would be best to judge him at the end of this season. I am happy with the way he has managed us since Bruno joined but consistency is the key.

One thing I really like about him is his man management. It has been top notch since he joined and the below quote further proves it.

He talks a good talk our Ole. But he’s been known to be a serial bullsh**ter. Let’s just hope he keep it up.

Gasolin

If I'm being completely honest, I don't think his ability as a coach will ever be enough on his own to bridge the gap on Klopp, Pep etc. I do agree with the man management though. Players seem to want to play for him and he refuses to accept losing, has a bit of SAF about him in that regard. That's why, I think if he can surround himself with top class coaches, like SAF did, we can win honours and be competitive. Our coaching over the past few years has been diabolical though, hopefully our recent form is evidence of a change in that trend.
I think our coaching is actually quite demanding and that’s why it takes even longer to assimilate, but now it’s starting to get into the head of the players, and then there is finishing.

I don’t know about his own ability but at the very least, he’s a fantastic analyzer of the game, and absorb what others do.

It is said he was a big fan of Pep and recently, he incorporated one of this move to push Matic down to split the CB and force the FB to push up high. However, we do a 3/4/3 type of formation in attack, not the City version.

He copied Klopp when we lost all creativity in the middle with Pogba out by using the FB to create, and he did his own version of the 3/5/2 etc...

I’m sure he’s a fan of SAF football too. Long story short, I think he’s savvy and while he might not be the one coming with the craziest new ideas, he is the one who will win games because he’s very pragmatic in his approach. And I really like that. That’s a bit of SAF/Mourinho mentality btw. I do think we have a gem here and should we be allowed to get the right players, a lot of people will be shocked very soon. But it’s because we’ve been through all this difficult time.

Mainoldo

When? I'm almost sure people have just started making things up now for a laugh.
Good football - Boring Counter attacking philosophy

Amazed at the players that what to come here - No one was amazed

Brining through the youth - Williams was an accident and never on the list to come through. But it happens look at Rashford

I mean there’s probably more but those are the main ones. Tell me if I’ve made something up?

crossy1686

career ending

Brining through the youth - Williams was an accident and never on the list to come through. But it happens look at Rashford

I mean there’s probably more but those are the main ones. Tell me if I’ve made something up?
:lol: You've made all this up!

United have always played counter attacking football, not sure why you're taking issue with it now? I'd rather watch our third goal at Brighton on repeat than any of the sideways passes from the Spain/Barcelona team in the last 10 years. Football to fall asleep to.

There's a difference between being positive and being full of shit. What do you want him to say? "Yeah we're fecking rubbish, no one's interested in coming here, we'll be lucky to pick up a couple a relegation players at this point". People on here have been talking about United like we're been relegated to League 2. Good players still want to join us.

Wrong, Williams was no mistake, neither was Rashford. Just because you've not heard of someone doesn't mean they were a mistake. They wouldn't still be in our academy at 19 if they weren't good enough to play for United, Nicky Butt is adamant about that.

Williams was a very good RB at youth level but Laird is even better, so Williams had to retrain as a LB to get game time. Juventus actually made him a pro-contract offer at the end of his youth contract, with massive money. He turned it down to stay at United. But yeah, obviously a lucky accident.

AshRK

Your hatred for ole is clouding your judgment.

Boring counter attacking football and yet we have hardly scored many counter attacking goals since Bruno joined. If we have been boring since February then trust me all other teams including the beloved liverpool have been playing shit football.

Youth point- Greenwood has already become a regular, is that also an accident? It's not just about promoting youth but also improving players which Ole has done to numerous players. Mctominay, Fred, Rashford, Martial, Shaw, Greenwood, Matic have all improved under Ole.

So yes you are just making things up. Try to bs more and maybe then you can win WUM poster of the year.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

We also did counter attack under Sir Alex, fact is that few years ago people were moaning about where is the counter attacking football that we used to play. Is this boring to you?

Signings been spot on. We signed players that we needed. Even Spurs fans was amazed and acknowledged it.
https://www.spurscommunity.co.uk/in...nder-whats-going-on-at-united.121465/page-200

How is that accident? Butt mentioned this before this season even started, he was talking about United will need to bringing & developing the youth because nowdays players cost too much in the market. This is not just coincidence but actually plan that was implemented by Ole & Butt. What LVG did is throwing all the youth randomly while Ole is slowly introducing them step by step instead of throwing them to solve problems.

Clearly you made it up just to suit your argument.

Stacks

I think our coaching is actually quite demanding and that’s why it takes even longer to assimilate, but now it’s starting to get into the head of the players, and then there is finishing.

I don’t know about his own ability but at the very least, he’s a fantastic analyzer of the game, and absorb what others do.

It is said he was a big fan of Pep and recently, he incorporated one of this move to push Matic down to split the CB and force the FB to push up high. However, we do a 3/4/3 type of formation in attack, not the City version.

He copied Klopp when we lost all creativity in the middle with Pogba out by using the FB to create, and he did his own version of the 3/5/2 etc...

I’m sure he’s a fan of SAF football too. Long story short, I think he’s savvy and while he might not be the one coming with the craziest new ideas, he is the one who will win games because he’s very pragmatic in his approach. And I really like that. That’s a bit of SAF/Mourinho mentality btw. I do think we have a gem here and should we be allowed to get the right players, a lot of people will be shocked very soon. But it’s because we’ve been through all this difficult time.
A gem? They said this last season and then we wind up getting whooped by Everton. I have seen good runs of form before. I also remember us having so few wins in 2019 calendar year in the league. That was not a Gem and he has it all to prove to me. I think the big change has been signing Bruno. That has given us a midfield that most of our opponents cannot handle. His leadership also lifted the dressing room. What Ole is doing very well for now is picking the right team. Its almost like he is listening to us in the cafe! He is quite open minded which I like. As long as he picks the right players (unlike the Spurs game) we should be fine in this run in because man for man we have vastly better players than ALL our opposition. The manager who impresses me most is the Wolves manager. Have no idea how they are doing what they are doing.

Mainoldo

:lol: You've made all this up!

United have always played counter attacking football, not sure why you're taking issue with it now? I'd rather watch our third goal at Brighton on repeat than any of the sideways passes from the Spain/Barcelona team in the last 10 years. Football to fall asleep to.

There's a difference between being positive and being full of shit. What do you want him to say? "Yeah we're fecking rubbish, no one's interested in coming here, we'll be lucky to pick up a couple a relegation players at this point". People on here have been talking about United like we're been relegated to League 2. Good players still want to join us.

Wrong, Williams was no mistake, neither was Rashford. Just because you've not heard of someone doesn't mean they were a mistake. They wouldn't still be in our academy at 19 if they weren't good enough to play for United, Nicky Butt is adamant about that.

Williams was a very good RB at youth level but Laird is even better, so Williams had to retrain as a LB to get game time. Juventus actually made him a pro-contract offer at the end of his youth contract, with massive money. He turned it down to stay at United. But yeah, obviously a lucky accident.
Can’t make this up can you.

1) There’s more than two styles of football. What you like is up to you. Jose plays counter attacking football too but I bet you won’t admit to liking that?

2) He can say whatever he wants at the end of the day what he said wasn’t true hence my point. Don’t explain why he said then be bemused when I said I don’t believe him because you want to believe what Simone Stone said. What’s the difference? Is the Simone Stone stuff gospel then Or can we use your positive spin comment?

3) Who said I didn’t know these players? I’m on RedCafe like you. There’s a reserves forum which I hope you’ve seen and MuTV is available to most. I seen Brandon have a great game at Kiddie against Albion earlier in the season and there was plenty of talk about Rashford before he made his debut. I even remember him being an Unused sub at Watford (Watford might be wrong but he was defo on the bench earlier in the season).

So don’t be ignorant and think someone is making stuff up because the points haven’t been elaborated on. I said ‘accident’ as both players made their debuts unexpectedly and was never part of any plan. But they took their opportunities and fair play to them.

Mainoldo

We also did counter attack under Sir Alex, fact is that few years ago people were moaning about where is the counter attacking football that we used to play. Is this boring to you?

Signings been spot on. We signed players that we needed. Even Spurs fans was amazed and acknowledged it.
https://www.spurscommunity.co.uk/in...nder-whats-going-on-at-united.121465/page-200

How is that accident? Butt mentioned this before this season even started, he was talking about United will need to bringing & developing the youth because nowdays players cost too much in the market. This is not just coincidence but actually plan that was implemented by Ole & Butt. What LVG did is throwing all the youth randomly while Ole is slowly introducing them step by step instead of throwing them to solve problems.

Clearly you made it up just to suit your argument.
Okay. I read the LVG comment and decided not to take anything you said serious. We just interpret stuff differently I’m not going to argue about it.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I don't understand anybody that's criticizing him now when we are doing so well. Best to keep shut and wait till the end of the season and judge

crossy1686

career ending
Can’t make this up can you.

1) There’s more than two styles of football. What you like is up to you. Jose plays counter attacking football too but I bet you won’t admit to liking that?

2) He can say whatever he wants at the end of the day what he said wasn’t true hence my point. Don’t explain why he said then be bemused when I said I don’t believe him because you want to believe what Simone Stone said. What’s the difference? Is the Simone Stone stuff gospel then Or can we use your positive spin comment?

3) Who said I didn’t know these players? I’m on RedCafe like you. There’s a reserves forum which I hope you’ve seen and MuTV is available to most. I seen Brandon have a great game at Kiddie against Albion earlier in the season and there was plenty of talk about Rashford before he made his debut. I even remember him being an Unused sub at Watford (Watford might be wrong but he was defo on the bench earlier in the season).

So don’t be ignorant and think someone is making stuff up because the points haven’t been elaborated on. I said ‘accident’ as both players made their debuts unexpectedly and was never part of any plan. But they took their opportunities and fair play to them.
If you truly believed there was more than 2 styles of football you would know that what Mourinho plays is anything but a counter attack.

Ole's allowed to have an opinion or spin some positivity without being full of shit. If you want to pretend things are all doom and gloom and not believe anything anyone says then thats on you, but it must be quite a lonely and painful existence knee-jerking to everything that's said unless it's calling a spade, a spade.

And I'll take your point on the youth team as read, but I will add that Solskjaer maintained from the start of the season that Brandon was part of the first team this year which is why he didn't feel we needed to sign a LB in the summer, despite most of us calling for it.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Ah playing a youth player because of injuries is an accident, it's how quite a lot of the fringe youth get their first team chances. They're already on the radar of the managers.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Okay. I read the LVG comment and decided not to take anything you said serious. We just interpret stuff differently I’m not going to argue about it.
You should try to learn how to listen to people who knows what they are talking about rather than thinking that anything come out from your head always correct. Learn how to respect people who can provide solid evidence to counter your BS statement.

We always been playing counter attack since Sir Alex era. This thread is posted in 2006 about people moaning about us becoming counter attack team.
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/when-did-we-become-a-counter-attacking-side.102085/

Even opposition fans amazed with our recruitment.

Butt & Ole have this plan to bringing through youth and we actually did, fact is that our average starting XI is the youngest one since Busby Babes.

https://www.theunitedstand.com/arti...-starting-xi-youngest-since-busby-babes-67-68

Mr Smith

He talks a good talk our Ole. But he’s been known to be a serial bullsh**ter. Let’s just hope he keep it up.
To be fair, you need to bullshit from time to time as a manager. You can't expect him to open up to the press on every little thing that goes on behind the scenes. The fact that he can keep a brave face on things says to me he's got more control.

Mainoldo

If you truly believed there was more than 2 styles of football you would know that what Mourinho plays is anything but a counter attack.

Ole's allowed to have an opinion or spin some positivity without being full of shit. If you want to pretend things are all doom and gloom and not believe anything anyone says then thats on you, but it must be quite a lonely and painful existence knee-jerking to everything that's said unless it's calling a spade, a spade.

And I'll take your point on the youth team as read, but I will add that Solskjaer maintained from the start of the season that Brandon was part of the first team this year which is why he didn't feel we needed to sign a LB in the summer, despite most of us calling for it.
Mourinho’s football is that though. His Madrid team was very good at it and he basically got a draw against us recently doing just that. The only thing is his wingers are basically full backs to when he decides a team is better than his. To not act totally ignorant we aren’t playing boring football at the minute well aslong as the Periera’s and Lingard’s aren’t on the pitch.

I didn’t say I don’t believe what he says I’m just more of the opinion I don’t care what his hiring policy is and what type of attitude you have to. All I care about is what’s happening on the pitch. LVG already got me with the indroduction of 3G pitches and more trees to reduce the wind.. whatever the hell it was. Fact of the matter is we didn’t play Man City stylish football as an end result.

Again certain managers should know who’s in there youth team etc Ole seems like he does but the players he highlighted Chong and Angel which he claimed were ready he hasn’t done anything with. That’s where I was pointing out the discrepancies.

In short I only care how the team is performing all the rest is all romance and PR spinning. In my view.

Mainoldo

To be fair, you need to bullshit from time to time as a manager. You can't expect him to open up to the press on every little thing that goes on behind the scenes. The fact that he can keep a brave face on things says to me he's got more control.
No it’s true. He’s presser today was very good and he span some good bullshit again. But like you said it’s needed.

Mainoldo

You should try to learn how to listen to people who knows what they are talking about rather than thinking that anything come out from your head always correct. Learn how to respect people who can provide solid evidence to counter your BS statement.

We always been playing counter attack since Sir Alex era. This thread is posted in 2006 about people moaning about us becoming counter attack team.
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/when-did-we-become-a-counter-attacking-side.102085/

Even opposition fans amazed with our recruitment.

Butt & Ole have this plan to bringing through youth and we actually did, fact is that our average starting XI is the youngest one since Busby Babes.

https://www.theunitedstand.com/arti...-starting-xi-youngest-since-busby-babes-67-68
You really shouldn’t have gone through all that effort. We just see things different. But just to highlight that 2006 post was fans moaning becoming a counter attacking team right? Should I not assume we had a different style before that then?

rotherham_red

Haha @Mainoldo getting shown up in a debate yet again I see... As predictable as the sun rising in the morning.

Williams was in the travelling squad for the away leg of the PSG tie last year before most Utd fans had even heard of him, but according to the mastermind he was never in our plans :houllier:

Mainoldo

Haha @Mainoldo getting shown up in a debate yet again I see... As predictable as the sun rising in the morning.

Williams was in the travelling squad for the away leg of the PSG tie last year before most Utd fans had even heard of him, but according to the mastermind he was never in our plans :houllier:
Took your time!!

Read my point on Rashford:)

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You really shouldn’t have gone through all that effort. We just see things different. But just to highlight that 2006 post was fans moaning becoming a counter attacking team right? Should I not assume we had a different style before that then?
I provided evidence not just something that I made up like you did but you are still believing in something that is not true, if that's not deluded, I don't know what else I can describe about you.

You might want to click the thread link and read what they said before jump into conclusion and making random assumption. Ironically, the thread was created in Carlos Queiroz era as well.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Well, I can use the same argument against your point. You are knee jerking based on last 3 results and completely ignoring what happened from March 2019 to Feb 2020. Football was awfully bad, tactically outwitted by championship teams and had the lowest ppg at one point (worse than Moyes).
So no, it just isn't a black and white barometer -
if the winning run continues we will get top 4 convincingly which means he would have had a nice second half of the season. At that point, we can agree that he deserves another season.

Until that point, I simply don't want to accept that he is the man to take us forward. Let him prove himself rather than we supporting him emotionally based on the player he used to be.
Agree with this.

Mainoldo

I provided evidence not just something that I made up like you did but you are still believing in something that is not true, if that's not deluded, I don't know what else I can describe about you.

You might want to click the thread link and read what they said before jump into conclusion and making random assumption. Ironically, the thread was created in Carlos Queiroz era as well.
What evidence? You showed me a clip of a good counter attacking goal. Am I suppose to believe they don’t exist?

Then even though I really didn’t want to you made me click on your link about a 10 post debate of 3 people saying we always played counter football to the rest debate if it was due to the poor selection of players or new assistant coach we hired? I mean what was I suppose to have learnt from that, which I didn’t already blindly call out that for it to be a discussion would mean we was going something we didn’t normally do? We’ve always played direct football we have never been a team set up to soak up pressure and hit teams on the break for a whole game. Like we’ve seen with Mourinho and like we have seen with Ole.

Mainoldo

But which team doesn’t rely on their star players?!? That’s a strange statement for me. You are lucky to have those players, that’s life. Would City not rely on KdB?

The fact that now we have Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, Bruno, Pogba and to a certain extend, Matic is what’s helping us because when one under performs or is double marked, the others get the space automatically. And I think that’s the objective in football!!! That’s how you make the other teams fear you. Before they could shut Pogba down and it was over. For me, that’s the right idea.

Depth of the squad will be important to win titles. I think Ole sees that.
City won the league with KDB out for months. But there football is all about the system. Like Liverpool.

Tel074

For me Ole has done a great job . He was giving a task to refresh the squad to have a more youthful hungry team to challenge for trophies while also getting rid of the deadwood . For me since he has got anywhere near his strongest side on the pitch we can see the rewards . We where always going to struggle with Lingard Pereira Mata starting constantly.
His signings have been top class and I for one can't wait to get back to OT every other week .
Exciting times ahead as a United fan

AshRK

City won the league with KDB out for months. But there football is all about the system. Like Liverpool.
Like liverpool which is lumping the ball to salah or mane? Their football has hardly been mesmerizing this season or even last season. Klopp at Dortmund well yes that was special.

Mainoldo

Like liverpool which is lumping the ball to salah or mane? Their football has hardly been mesmerizing this season or even last season. Klopp at Dortmund well yes that was special.
Liverpool have played great football for 2 years. This current season I’d agree.. they’ve become very efficient. But this is the only season I’d say they’ve been a boring watch at times. You can’t say Klopp at Dortmund.. I mean they played better football than Madrid in the final and look at the players they had then.

Red00012

you’ve made most of it up.

If you could send me on future lists of who they are picking to break through, That would be great .

feck me state of your post

UDontMessWith24

Ultimately the results he has produced recently are impressive and of course he deserves credit. Football is a results oriented business and despite all the mental gymnastics some posters in here are doing to discredit the results, they still can't deny the team has been playing very well.

Tomorrow/later today we find out if he can keep the team grounded and put a boot up their rear end if they get complacent, not only as a result of all the hype, but also playing a team in terrible form they should be beating handily. If he can do that consistently, we'll most likely qualify for the CL.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
What evidence? You showed me a clip of a good counter attacking goal. Am I suppose to believe they don’t exist?

Then even though I really didn’t want to you made me click on your link about a 10 post debate of 3 people saying we always played counter football to the rest debate if it was due to the poor selection of players or new assistant coach we hired? I mean what was I suppose to have learnt from that, which I didn’t already blindly call out that for it to be a discussion would mean we was going something we didn’t normally do? We’ve always played direct football we have never been a team set up to soak up pressure and hit teams on the break for a whole game. Like we’ve seen with Mourinho and like we have seen with Ole.
Either you don't know how to read or you are purposely ignoring all other evidence that I posted just to suit your argument.

You said no one amazed about players that what to come here, and the evidence proved you wrong. But you ignored it.

You criticised the youth policy under Ole's management, and you are proven wrong on that. Ole sold Lukaku and gave the chance to Greenwood, Ole sold Young and gave chance to Williams, he even dared to put 10 youth players against Astana despite of us haven't secure the first spot in group stage. We have the youngest XI this season since the Busby Babes! But you ignore all of these fact.

What is not direct about our football this season? Do you even know what it is? Direct football isn't about having possession but play the ball direct for purpose of scoring. It can also be in the category of counter attack.
https://www.soccerhelp.com/terms/soccer-styles-of-play.shtml

The fact that you can't even see the difference in Mourinho sums up you got no clue what you watch. Mourinho is parking the bus and rarely even trying to score from defensive transition and instead he prefers to play safe. When you look at the football we play post Mourinho, we tried to score not just playing safe. The stats against City when we won 2-0, we had more shots.

always_hoping

Liverpool have played great football for 2 years. This current season I’d agree.. they’ve become very efficient. But this is the only season I’d say they’ve been a boring watch at times. You can’t say Klopp at Dortmund.. I mean they played better football than Madrid in the final and look at the players they had then.
Efficient yes but great football? I think not. I lost count to the amount of times Liverpool won last season without playing that well, numerous times they made the most from goalkeeping, defensive and officials errors.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I don't know what's the problem with Tranmere, LASK, Derby & Club Brugge? In those run, we also beat Chelsea & City twice.
If you dont see any problem with the quality of those teams, you are free to enjoy what you see now. My point is simple- it could very well another false dawn . Would rather wait for the season to end and make a conclusion.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If you dont see any problem with the quality of those teams, you are free to enjoy what you see now. My point is simple- it could very well another false dawn . Would rather wait for the season to end and make a conclusion.
We beat Chelsea and City twice in those runs. Your point just doesn’t make any sense. Why are you specifically referring to those teams but single out the quality ones that we beat? You are ignoring it just to suit your argument.

Mainoldo

Either you don't know how to read or you are purposely ignoring all other evidence that I posted just to suit your argument.

You said no one amazed about players that what to come here, and the evidence proved you wrong. But you ignored it.

You criticised the youth policy under Ole's management, and you are proven wrong on that. Ole sold Lukaku and gave the chance to Greenwood, Ole sold Young and gave chance to Williams, he even dared to put 10 youth players against Astana despite of us haven't secure the first spot in group stage. We have the youngest XI this season since the Busby Babes! But you ignore all of these fact.
I’ve answered the other points but I actually left this out. Thanks for reminding me.

So we was amazed at the players that wanted to join us. Which ended up being Maguire who we tried to sign the previous year. AWB who we was linked with previously and Dan James. Wow!

Lukaku told Ole he was leave at the end of last season (said by the man himself as you like evidence). We then tried to pull of a deal which would have included Dybala and Mandzukic. I’ll let you explain how that was him trusting in Greenwood?

As for Ashley Young, was you just asleep through the whole of January? We offered him a contract extension to keep him around.

Get a grip.

Mainoldo

Efficient yes but great football? I think not. I lost count to the amount of times Liverpool won last season without playing that well, numerous times they made the most from goalkeeping, defensive and officials errors.
Last season? When was this. Except for that crap final I heard about, as I refused to watch it. I don’t remember watching them thinking they play boring football.

Status
Not open for further replies.