Red00012

He got it all wrong today .
Wrong formation
Wrong GK
Wrong players rested
Wrong players brought on

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
DDG cost him top 4 last season and has cost him a trophy this season. Next it will cost him his job unless he sorts out the issue in the summer.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I don't actually care too much about the result. It's the FA Cup. I am most annoyed that we played Bruno and Matic for 90 minutes, and Rashford and AWB for 80 minutes, when none of them needed to be there.
Same here. We sacked LVG for winning the FA CUP and missing top 4. And that was the right decision.

Am very annoyed Ole has put our top 4 this season in jeopardy for this worthless tin pot. If we miss top 4, it will be because of today’s stupid decisions.

passing-wind

Couldn't really care about today's result, a meaningless cup competition when we are in dire need of results in the league. Next season will be a definitive test for Ole because it will assess if he's truly suitable to be leading us forward.

The best thing about arguing your point is that you have the result in hand and can make any argument to support your claim. "Should have" doesn't mean anything, you can't know a thing about what would have happened. But we can of course say that: Today didn't work. For all we know your way of doing it could have meant we won 5-0. Or lost 6-0. It's just "what if" theory.

I prefer statistics.

What are the odds of beating Chelsea 4 times per season? It has never happened in club history. Are we faulting the manager for something that no manager before him has accomplished?

David De Gea allows 2 goals that he must save. Are we blaming Ole for not playing Romero for this game? De Gea has come from a series of very solid games. Romero was the cup keeper. Should he have started?

This is what we know:

The FA cup is a trophy but meaningless in the grand scheme of this season. If there was any game to adjust and rest players, it was today. He opted for a middle ground that didn't work out. The players on the pitch did not perform well enough. They have in the past, what changed? Are we ignoring that there is a team of 11 players opposing us that is also very good at football?

Is Ole blameless? Well no, we lost so he's not blameless. How much of the blame does De Gea take? Maguire? Williams? All cost the team goals today through enormous personal mistakes.

Is Ole to blame for playing Williams, De Gea and Maguire? Sure, who should he have played in their stead? Romero, <Literally no one> and Timothy Fosu-Mensah? Pretty easy to make that argument now that we know what happened in trhis game.

Did the players on the pitch perform as they should have? If no, who'se fault is that, Ole or the players who were given a job?
See my post above, my biggest gripe is the minutes our first teamers ended up playing. That was totally under Ole's control until the very end.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I don't think the mistake was freshing it up. We had two days less rest and our team have looked shattered the last 2 games. Making 5 changes AND switching formation was disastrous though. It was just too much of a change.

Obviously the defence and the keeper in particular haven't helped him one bit but Ole got it badly wrong today. Awful decision to go 352.

Roboc7

I’m still not convinced he has any kind of real plan, just stumbles across things that work and then rides them out until they don’t.

Having said that I don’t blame him too much for result today, had to gamble with team selection and it just didn’t work. He has struggled with rotating the squad so not shocked by result.

-Supreme-

I want Ole to stay next season regardless of our top 4 status, largely by the improvements in the 2nd half of the season and it was always going to be a big mountain to climb from our position.

However, one of the areas that I would like him to improve is squad management, we have seen before that he was never willing to use his squad but that can be understandable before as it was near impossible to use the likes of Andreas, Lingard or Mata etc but since the restart he could easily have rotated some of his players a lot better and even today, players like Ighalo, Fred, McT, Williams should have had more mins to build up their match fitness but we now end up with our first choice being overplayed (yet again) and we might have to pay a hefty price for the remaining 2 games of the season.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
There’s a legit question over his handling of player minutes. He’s not rotated the squad enough since we’ve come back.
He has improved on it but the way he has managed Pogba and Fernandes game time has been weird.

Martialfc

I’m so annoyed wit him Ole today. The basics of management are find your best team and start it every game. When you are 2-0 up bring on your squad players! Not the other way round where you wait till you are 2-0 down and then bring on your best players! Dan James is championship standard and Fred isn’t good enough either.. could of been managed so much better and unfortunately now were out.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The 2 days extra rest was always gonna bite us. However, overall may be Ole also can learn something from this restart period. Not every manager is good in rotating their players and I think this is something that Ole will need to learn for next season since due to covid19, the schedule will be tight. And also hopefully we can add some players to strengthen our depth squad, it's not like he has good option to rotate. City & Chelsea are having big advantage on this due to their depth squad.

Squeaky Bumtime

I’m still not convinced he has any kind of real plan, just stumbles across things that work and then rides them out until they don’t.

Having said that I don’t blame him too much for result today, had to gamble with team selection and it just didn’t work. He has struggled with rotating the squad so not shocked by result.
Well its logical, you go with something which works until it doesn't. :)

SirScholes

Same here. We sacked LVG for winning the FA CUP and missing top 4. And that was the right decision.

Am very annoyed Ole has put our top 4 this season in jeopardy for this worthless tin pot. If we miss top 4, it will be because of today’s stupid decisions.
It 100% won’t be

jamesjimmybyrondean

He loves to risk players health doesn't he? He's already played Rashford and Pogba to injuries this season. Now he's overplaying the entire team

SirScholes

There’s a legit question over his handling of player minutes. He’s not rotated the squad enough since we’ve come back.
He has no squad to rotate
We haven’t been allowed to put a foot wrong in the league so that’s meant the best players playing all the time.
Stacking the odds and it’s worked, the team played shit today, some of thats his fault but the players need to take a lot of that blame as well

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
People complaining about rotation. Rotate our starters with who? Look at all the options after the the first attacking 5? Look at Daniel James? Wee need depth. I don't trust our sub players and I guess Ole doesn't trust them either.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We have had absolutely no room for error in the league. I don't blame him for not rotating.

bondsname

It sucks to lose, and it sucks to be outplayed. This team is fantastic when on form and on a winning streak, but sometimes you lose, and that's when you see their true colors. The best teams in history lost games, but won the next one.

Call me crazy but I think it could be a good thing we lost. You get to see who actually can play for United, and who should be shipped off. Who is going to sit there and feel sorry for themselves? Who are going to train even harder in the next training session? I hope to see a fully motivated team versus West Ham and I hope we put them to bed, but frankly I think this squad is quite fragile mentally with one exception being Bruno. Never slacks off, never stops trying with his risky passes even though sometimes they fail, always scores penalties, he definitely has got an elite mentality.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Who do you rotate them with? Lingard? Periera? James? There is just not top 4 quality out of the starting 11
Yes! That team was too fatigued and they needed rest. We are in a fight for top 4 and he played our best 11 that played 3 days ago and will play 3 days from now.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
We have had absolutely no room for error in the league. I don't blame him for not rotating.
Agreed. It's not like anyone who came on played well anyway. Pogba looked one of the most sluggish, compounded by a complete lack of composure and runs ahead of him and he was subbed on.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I don't like half solution in general. Despite i think that we should have gone for this cup i understand that club's first gosl is CL. But if you rest players then rest them all and send B team with first 11 back home in front of TV. If you are going for trophy then go all in, with first 11.
This was Chelsea. Not Fulham against you can mix and still be favourite.
This was huge mess. At the end all first teamers played, we lost, trophy is gone and our morale is hit.
And changing tactics in 352 in knockout game, as well was wrong. Why change something which works?

Bad management all the way today.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Well ,I want him gone and don't think he can take us forward.But today is not on him. There is nothing he could do. He went with a formation that gave 3 wins . 2 defensive mistakes, 1 own goal and couple of bad refereeing decisions hit us and we were too tired to do the chasing.

Just win against Westham and Leicester.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Exactly. Had he rotated up to now, we’d be in the same conversation as Spurs and Wolves. The depth isn’t there.

Bojan11

Please grow a pair Ole and drop De Gea next game. It’s been a long time coming. I’d be disappointed if he plays De Gea next game.

RooneyLegend

He's got shoddy material to work with and he isnt helping himself by adding the likes of Maguire, James and AWB. Needs to be more careful with the transfer windows cause they'll make him or break him. Bruno Fernandes is the standard we need. It's gonna be a long road to the top with this 1 out of 4 successful signing ratio we're working with.

Redfrog

Who do we have to rotate honestly ? There is a massive gap between our first 11 and the squad players, that is the story of the season really.

We are one the top 4 race only because Ole did not rotate.

Every one was crying to have a setled first 11 and now everyone is crying about rotation...

Ole could not win today.

If he rotated the entire team everyone would have said he is throwing away a trophy (with no garenty to win the last two games).

If he did not rotate it was at the expanse of the league.

If he went middle ground as today we had every chance to play as badly as we did and be tired anyway.

He tried to win the game by rotating some players. It did not work, we played sh*t. Fair play.

Just do not pretend there was an ideal choice to make and that by throwing away the cup top 4 is in the bag. Nobody knows.

This game was a headhic no matter what. People should admit it. We had a hundred posts about it.

First lost game in 20. Not the end of the world. If we win next game it will be allright.

Woziak

Ole’s worst day in the office.

Got every single decision wrong, and no upside whatsoever after the game.

He has made his own job much harder for West Ham and Leicester next week.
Agreed if we beat West Ham 1-0 and lose 1-0 to Leicester and Chelsea get 3 points from their last 2 games for me questions must be asked serial losers remain serial losers ask the Cardiff squad !!
sentiment should not come into it when your talking about the biggest clubside in the world , I mean Madrid will probably get rid of Zidane again after wining the domestic league if city knock them out of the CL, surely a managers that’s won 11 trophies in 4 years including 3 CLs in recent time not like Pep and Bourinho who haven’t won it for 7 or 8 years !!!

Then finally we might get to see the real Pogba !!
Plus he will attract quality to the club !!

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I don't like half solution in general. Despite i think that we should have gone for this cup i understand that club's first gosl is CL. But if you rest players then rest them all and send B team with first 11 back home in front of TV. If you are going for trophy then go all in, with first 11.
This was Chelsea. Not Fulham against you can mix and still be favourite.
This was huge mess. At the end all first teamers played, we lost, trophy is gone and our morale is hit.
And changing tactics in 352 in knockout game, as well was wrong. Why change something which works?

Bad management all the way today.
He both managed to not play a full strength team and also not rest any of our key players in a meaningful way (bar Pogba)... Which is quite an achievement I guess?

Revan

Assumptionman
For me he just cannot trust this squad its as simple as that.

Today had nothing to do with shape or tactics. Chelsea looked fresher shaper and hungrier in every aspect of their play. That is not on Ole its on the players.

Add to that 2/3 goals have come about from our own mistakes. Bad day at the office. Players will learn hopefully.

Poor performances 1-14 from the players. We've just got to take it on the chin
4 of the starting players were signed under him, one starting player was promoted from him, and another promoted one played in the second half.

If he cannot trust this squad, probably is time for him to go to Molde again. How many 'his own' players he needs before he can trust the squad? Or are we still to Moyes' days when the manager needs to have every player signed by him before we can judge him (that was the feeling from many Caftards back then)?

Revan

Assumptionman
DDG cost him top 4 last season and has cost him a trophy this season. Next it will cost him his job unless he sorts out the issue in the summer.
Come on now, let's be for real. We won 2 out of the last 15 points last season, sure De Gea was shit, but that is a bit more than on De Gea. And we struggled to create anything today, I believe we had a couple of shots on target and a penalty. Finally, he is responsible for De Gea too, can easily bench him (like for example what Lampard has done with the equally useless Spaniard keeper).

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
4 of the starting players were signed under him, one starting player was promoted from him, and another promoted one played in the second half.

If he cannot trust this squad, probably is time for him to go to Molde again. How many 'his own' players he needs before he can trust the squad? Or are we still to Moyes' days when the manager needs to have every player signed by him before we can judge him (that was the feeling from many Caftards back then)?
Those 4 were in the starting line up. He’s clearly talking about the deadwood in mata, lingard and pereira. 3 squad players that we could really use right now but they aren’t up to scratch.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I don't like the 5/3 at the back formation at the best of times, but if we were going to play it, I don't know why Martial or Ighalo weren't one of the two forwards.

James and Rashford cannot hold the ball up and bring others into play as centre forwards, so using them two together meant we were going to be under the cosh for the majority. We needed one of Martial or Ighalo to be that outlet.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Come on now, let's be for real. We won 2 out of the last 15 points last season, sure De Gea was shit, but that is a bit more than on De Gea. And we struggled to create anything today, I believe we had a couple of shots on target and a penalty. Finally, he is responsible for De Gea too, can easily bench him (like for example what Lampard has done with the equally useless Spaniard keeper).
Our half time team talk went out the window when De Gea leaked a goal minutes into the 2nd half after leaking yet another fairly basic goal at the end of the 1st half. The loss is very much on his shoulders, can't be gifting the opposition 2 goals in a semi final.

But I do agree with your bolded point. Ole is perhaps showing him a little too much respect, i'm hoping he has it in his mind to stick with De Gea until the season ends then phase him out in the Summer either by selling him or making it clear that he's no longer the number 1. He was a brilliant keeper, but unfortunately it's the one area of the pitch you simply cannot allow passengers. Has to be a consistent keeper between the sticks.

Bojan11

Nah DDG did cost us. Let easy Xhaka goal against Arsenal.

Made a mistake against Chelsea, we were dominating that game and that goal changed the momentum. Win that game we were level on points with Chelsea.

Revan

Assumptionman
Our half time team talk went out the window when De Gea leaked a goal minutes into the 2nd half after leaking yet another fairly basic goal at the end of the 1st half. The loss is very much on his shoulders, can't be gifting the opposition 2 goals in a semi final.

But I do agree with your bolded point. Ole is perhaps showing him a little too much respect, i'm hoping he has it in his mind to stick with De Gea until the season ends then phase him out in the Summer either by selling him or making it clear that he's no longer the number 1. He was a brilliant keeper, but unfortunately it's the one area of the pitch you simply cannot allow passengers. Has to be a consistent keeper between the sticks.
I agree that De Gea was the main culprit today. It was a shocking performance. To be fair to him, Lindelof is as much to be blamed for the first goal, and Maguire fecked up for the third. But De Gea should have done better on the first, and the second one was a goal that no professional keeper should concede.

Thing is, this is hardly peak De Gea making an occasional mistake. He has been oscillating from decent to piss poor for roughly 24 months now. He should have been benched some time ago. Fergie benched a rookie De Gea for making a couple of mistakes in his first season, and for making a single mistake in his second. While now it seems that he can make a mistake every other game and not risk being benched. So at the end of the day, if it was an occasional mistake, the blame should go to him, but considering that De Gea is making too many mistakes, some of the blame is on Ole for allowing it to happen.

At the minimum, De Gea should be benched for the remainder of the season. And trust me, I love that player, has been my favorite player since Fergie retired. But enough is enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.