Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurton

Ah I see the Ole in brigade all out of the woods criticizing everyone with a different opinion after a win.

Its a Good win. Not a great performance, but I''m happy with the win. If this happens for the remainder of the season, then I'm Ole in again. Till then I'll reserve my judgement, unlike Ole in brigade where a win is all Ole, a defeat is due to injuries, weather, board etc.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I'm liking the comments from him today, regarding wanting more from Martial and dropping Andreas and Lingard. Good to see that he expects more from them. No complaints today but not getting sucked in today as there have been too many false dawn's for my liking.

Handré1990

I'm liking the comments from him today, regarding wanting more from Martial and dropping Andreas and Lingard. Good to see that he expects more from them. No complaints today but not getting sucked in today as there have been too many false dawn's for my liking.
Yup, agree with this. As long as we’re stuck with him I’m glad he can see what we’re all seeing. He was pretty pissed after the game talking to Norwegian media, saying how standing up and screaming at the players 4 mins in was 2 mins too late.

Mainoldo

I feel like he just taps into the media and go with whatever narrative they are pushing.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Must be said for all the stick he gets, every signing this season improved the team, with the added bonus he is giving confidence for youth players like Greenwood.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Some people live in a dream world. It's too early to judge Ole but there's such a prejudice or a fear that we might miss out on this guy who's available. You think firing him, and hiring someone else won't effect the dressing room? We're seeing progress and I don't think people got how far we'd fallen. At times we're dire, but you know what? Even at our peak, we had games like that. One quality of a great team, is getting results when not playing well. We are potential and you can bring out stats. You can bring out whatever you like. Many would have sacked Sir Alex before he won the FA Cup. Where is the common sense? It's so bad people had to create groups because they cannot find reason. It says more about you then Oles performance as manager to date. Stop with these stupid fractions just to cover from the fact you just react mindlessly. We still lack quality in areas. We still are patchy in places. We still lack a player or two of quality but luck (VAR) in this case..is a part of the game. Just like how some teams got rich by ...luck. It's a quality you want on your side. We've seen positives this season. Defensively we're doing ok. I've never seen us really solid in a back 3 - but we're doing ok. For much of the season, Rashford was the focal point and main goal getter but others have stepped up in his absense. The performance ISN'T always there but there are aspects to that. One key one is that teams don't fear us - at the minute. Most know we stuggle to break teams down but winning is a good habit. It creates an energy in the squad and once you have that then it takes energy away from the likes of watford who are then beaten even before the first balls been kicked. We need to demand the club recruit properly.......but we also need paitence,

Shimo

For the first time in a while, noticed him getting on the sideline and giving the most obvious instruction, which was to get the ball forward rather than play out the back when they were pressing effectively in the first half. Funny thing was the instruction seemed to just be ignored. Not sure what that was about but, with the pace of the front 3 and how high Watford CBs were, a few balls over the top would have probably got them to press less, Ole saw it but, players at the back didn't seem to want to do it.

tenpoless

Some people live in a dream world. It's too early to judge Ole but there's such a prejudice or a fear that we might miss out on this guy who's available. You think firing him, and hiring someone else won't effect the dressing room? We're seeing progress and I don't think people got how far we'd fallen. At times we're dire, but you know what? Even at our peak, we had games like that. One quality of a great team, is getting results when not playing well. We are potential and you can bring out stats. You can bring out whatever you like. Many would have sacked Sir Alex before he won the FA Cup. Where is the common sense? It's so bad people had to create groups because they cannot find reason. It says more about you then Oles performance as manager to date. Stop with these stupid fractions just to cover from the fact you just react mindlessly. We still lack quality in areas. We still are patchy in places. We still lack a player or two of quality but luck (VAR) in this case..is a part of the game. Just like how some teams got rich by ...luck. It's a quality you want on your side. We've seen positives this season. Defensively we're doing ok. I've never seen us really solid in a back 3 - but we're doing ok. For much of the season, Rashford was the focal point and main goal getter but others have stepped up in his absense. The performance ISN'T always there but there are aspects to that. One key one is that teams don't fear us - at the minute. Most know we stuggle to break teams down but winning is a good habit. It creates an energy in the squad and once you have that then it takes energy away from the likes of watford who are then beaten even before the first balls been kicked. We need to demand the club recruit properly.......but we also need paitence,
Most of the things you wrote happened with the previous sacked managers as well, the negatives, the possibibility of improvements, need of consistency, need of winning habbit. And if people used numbers (a.k.a stats, points and league position) to assess the previous managers with, it's only fair that We don't put a blinder now just because the current manager is the club's legend. Managers are judged by his performances and results.

I think most people are happy enough to let Ole finish the season without putting a blinder on. Because there might be more experienced managers with better credentials and clear style of play than Ole available. It's a rarity that They become available. And who could blame them? after all, you would think that most supporters want the best for their club. It's not mindless. It's not dream land. No need to blame others who have a different opinion than you.

And as for your bolded question, yes, switching managers will have an effect. It can be better or worse. And if you think it can only get worse, take a look at when Ole took over after Jose.

Last edited:

Shark

@NotShark
Most of the things you wrote happened with the previous sacked managers as well, the negatives, the possibibility of improvements, need of consistency, need of winning habbit. And if people used numbers (a.k.a stats, points and league position) to assess the previous managers with, it's only fair that We don't put a blinder now just because the current manager is the club's legend. Managers are judged by his performances and results.

I think most people are happy enough to let Ole finish the season without putting a blinder on. Because there might be more experienced managers with better credentials and clear style of play than Ole available. It's a rarity that They become available. And who could blame them? after all, you would think that most supporters want the best for their club. It's not mindless. It's not dream land. No need to blame others who have a different opinion than you.

And as for your bolded question, yes, switching managers will have an effect. It can be better or worse. And if you think it can only get worse, take a look at when Ole took over after Jose.
At the end of the day, if he finishes 4th I think most fans would be willing to give him more time, anything other than that and I think we’ll naturally go for someone else, because if he can’t finish there this season, what’s the point in keeping him on. He’s gotten his big January signing and players back from injury, there’s no excuses now.

Listar

At the end of the day, if he finishes 4th I think most fans would be willing to give him more time, anything other than that and I think we’ll naturally go for someone else, because if he can’t finish there this season, what’s the point in keeping him on. He’s gotten his big January signing and players back from injury, there’s no excuses now.
Wait, Pogba and Rashford our two most important players are still injured?

ReddBalls

He still has more than enough resources to finish 4th, you disagree?
The squad might still be a little to thin to challenge on three fronts, though. Might deend on the draws in the cups. But it is certainly looking more likely than a month ago.

James Peril

Must be said for all the stick he gets, every signing this season improved the team, with the added bonus he is giving confidence for youth players like Greenwood.
With 130M to spend on a central defender and a right-back, perhaps the highest sums ever paid in the same window for two defenders, with us not having a professional right-back last season, would you call this impressive? Would you do worse?
Becoming better than last season was not a very difficult task, let's be honest! We are a more defensive team this season, we are scoring less as a consequence - things go hand in hand. I fully appreciate it's impossible to compare these two seasons when last year was crazy with two managers, the boom and bust under Solskjær and everything in between, but still. Why didn't we sign someone to replace Lukaku? Why didn't we sign Bruno Fernandes if he was a target already then? It's hardly impossible to bargain with a broke Sporting, especially as we threw 80M on a limited defender such as Harry Maguire. The politics here is clearly something Solskjær needs to control better. We now play Everton (a), City (h) and Spurs (a). Let's see where we are after Chelsea play Bournemouth (a), Everton (h) and Villa (a).

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I've tried to avoid this thread as much as possible in the last few months so I don't know what the consensus is but I think the signs are there and they're positive. Moving on the deadwood, players actually improving, young players being bedded in and some promising signings have me believing that we're actually planning for beyond this season, even if I'm not sure Solskjaer isn't going to be the one to reap the rewards of this rebuild in the long term.

mu4c_20le

I'd be happy to give him more time if we finish strongly, and if it meant we actually have a long term plan and are monitoring the progressive young coaches across Europe,b rather than jumping the gun on poch or allegri.

El Zoido

I think he’s doing a good job, the squad clearly loves him and works for him, and we’re actually finally showing signs of progress. Absolutely give him more time and a couple more signings, he deserves that much. I would rather be competitive with big teams and struggle to break down smaller ones, than do an Arsenal and steamroll weaker teams then get done by every good team we face. The former is an easier problem to solve. Moyes got tons of stick for his record against big teams, yet we have a manager here who has shown he can compete with the best. He’s got enough wins against big teams that you can’t just write it off as a couple of flukes. While the team is on this trajectory we have to stick by him, simple as that for me. This will pay off in the long run.

matt10000

Good and very fair post

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
How many of the current starting 11 will get into either the Liverpool, City or Leicester sides? (excluding Pgba and rashford)
Why exclude those two? Rashford played most games this season. I will not talk about Liverpool and City because they have some players who play way above their abilities under Klopp and Pep.
In Leicester:
De gea, Maguire, Martial, Rashford, Bruno, Pogba for sure. We can also talk about Lindelof.
Chelsea:
Pogba, Rashford, Martial, Maguire, Bruno.
Awb, Lindelof and Shaw are 50:50.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
While I have a big issue with the total absence of synergy in the team, I do appreciate the fact that our players are more confident with him than they were with every other managers since 2013, they don't go back in their shells and that's a good sign. Tactically, I think that he is poor because we play without timing, none of our players anticipate their teammates or their own runs, as someone suggested in an other thread we don't move the ball well horizontally or vertically, everything is done laboriously. I wonder what Ole could do if he had someone like Buvac alongside him who is supposed to be tactically savvy and a good coach on the training pitch because to be fair to Ole, he seems to have figured out the mental part.

He'sRaldo

While I have a big issue with the total absence of synergy in the team, I do appreciate the fact that our players are more confident with him than they were with every other managers since 2013, they don't go back in their shells and that's a good sign. Tactically, I think that he is poor because we play without timing, none of our players anticipate their teammates or their own runs, as someone suggested in an other thread we don't move the ball well horizontally or vertically, everything is done laboriously. I wonder what Ole could do if he had someone like Buvac alongside him who is supposed to be tactically savvy and a good coach on the training pitch because to be fair to Ole, he seems to have figured out the mental part.
Buvac might be good, but he might also be a bit old fashioned at this point in time. After all, Klopp reduced his role when Lijnders came into his team, seemingly due to the same reasons we're struggling right now.

That said, the teamplay would no doubt be improved so he would no doubt be an improved acquisition at this point in time. The question marks would remain for if he is able to take the final step with a team. For now though, I do like that idea, especially when compared to our other coaches and what we're currently seeing on the pitch.

JPRouve

Scout
Buvac might be good, but he might also be a bit old fashioned at this point in time. After all, Klopp reduced his role when Lijnders came into his team, seemingly due to the same reasons we're struggling right now.

That said, the teamplay would no doubt be improved so he would no doubt be an improved acquisition at this point in time. The question marks would remain for if he is able to take the final step with a team. For now though, I do like that idea, especially when compared to our other coaches and what we're currently seeing on the pitch.
Buvac is only an example of the type of profile I'm talking about. Also it's not about comparing him with our other coaches but with what we have seen on the pitch in the last 12 months, the lack of collective improvement is worrying, they seem to be doing a good job on the individual part and I'm optimistic about our ability to develop players but less about our ability to build a top team.

Last edited:

romufc

With 130M to spend on a central defender and a right-back, perhaps the highest sums ever paid in the same window for two defenders, with us not having a professional right-back last season, would you call this impressive? Would you do worse?
Becoming better than last season was not a very difficult task, let's be honest! We are a more defensive team this season, we are scoring less as a consequence - things go hand in hand. I fully appreciate it's impossible to compare these two seasons when last year was crazy with two managers, the boom and bust under Solskjær and everything in between, but still. Why didn't we sign someone to replace Lukaku? Why didn't we sign Bruno Fernandes if he was a target already then? It's hardly impossible to bargain with a broke Sporting, especially as we threw 80M on a limited defender such as Harry Maguire. The politics here is clearly something Solskjær needs to control better. We now play Everton (a), City (h) and Spurs (a). Let's see where we are after Chelsea play Bournemouth (a), Everton (h) and Villa (a).
Yes it is impressive. City have spent over £200m on full backs and a further £140m on their CB's yet they are not putting out defensive stats like us.

A replacement for Lukaku was not signed because we did not want to panic buy, Ole also wanted to give Greenwood a chance. He didn't forsee so many injuries.

How is Maguire a limited CB? he is probably the best Cb after VVD in the league. VVD market value is over £100m atm.

JPRouve

Scout
Yes it is impressive. City have spent over £200m on full backs and a further £140m on their CB's yet they are not putting out defensive stats like us.

A replacement for Lukaku was not signed because we did not want to panic buy, Ole also wanted to give Greenwood a chance. He didn't forsee so many injuries.

How is Maguire a limited CB? he is probably the best Cb after VVD in the league. VVD market value is over £100m atm.
They conceded the same amount of goals while a substantial part of their defense has been injured.

He'sRaldo

Buvac is only an example of the type of profile, I'm talking about. Also it's not about comparing him with our other coaches but with what we have seen on the pitch in the last 12 months, the lack of collective improvement is worrying, they seem to be doing a good job on the individual part and I'm optimistic about our ability to develop players but less about our ability to build a top team.
I definitely agree, especially that last part. That the individuals are improving is very important, which indicates a different profile of coach to the training ground type which can influence the whole team.

If we can get the other type in, then that's a clear way forward for the club organizationally. Woodward supplying the money, coaches and training staff overseeing the on-pitch developmental work, and Ole in the manager role overseeing everything like a coach/ DOF hybrid. We're struggling right now due to a few holes, but if done correctly I'm sure that hierarchy can be successful.

romufc

They conceded the same amount of goals while a substantial part of their defense has been injured.
They still have Walker, Stones, Otamendi, Mendy, Cancelo fit for large parts of the season.

Also, I am not comparing city defence to ours like that. I was replying to the poster saying money guarantees better stats, clearly with City it doesn't

Everton have spent alot of money on defence too.

Robbie Boy

He's the first manager post-Fergie that seems to have instilled a good team spirit and gotten individual players to improve. It's also great seeing some of the young lads get a chance and out of all his signings, I feel Bruno and AWB will have fantastic long-term careers here. Maguire I just don't know about, I mean he's looked quite good at times and utterly atrocious at other times, given what he cost I feel he needs to be far more consistent. James is James, he's just there really.

However, I feel that he is tactically miles behind modern day progressive managers and this is where he falls well short. As of now, I still want him gone at the end of the season unless he gets top four and / or wins the EL. We are a-few signings away from being quite a good team, I believe. But if we go into next season with Ole at the helm, I don't see there being much difference to how this season has gone so far, even with new additions. If he restructures the coaching set-up and brings someone in that knows how to play expansive football, then maybe tactically we might improve.

JPRouve

Scout
They still have Walker, Stones, Otamendi, Mendy, Cancelo fit for large parts of the season.

Also, I am not comparing city defence to ours like that. I was replying to the poster saying money guarantees better stats, clearly with City it doesn't

Everton have spent alot of money on defence too.
And my point is that we currently don't have a better defensive record and they have become better after spending too which is what the post you responded to said. They went from conceding 39 goals in the league in 16/17, to 27 and 23 the following seasons. So clearly with City it did.

STYLOISRED

Not to shit on anyone's opinion here but all this talk of intense coaching being the only recipe for success sound like crap to me when one considers one of the best teams in the world got where they are today by progressing through three managers not known for extreme coaching. Am talking about Real Madrid.

romufc

And my point is that we currently don't have a better defensive record and they have become better after spending too which is what the post you responded to said. They went from conceding 39 goals in the league in 16/17, to 27 and 23 the following seasons. So clearly with City it did.
So money well spent for United as well then.

meamth

These people who are constantly picking the negatives and criticisms, are sad people.

Progress is there, miles better since Moyes.

Can't believe you lot can't be excited with this young team.

Alabaster Codify7

These people who are constantly picking the negatives and criticisms, are sad people.

Progress is there, miles better since Moyes.

Can't believe you lot can't be excited with this young team.

Miles better, yet with worse points.

The comments above are right, we're a highly reactive club - 2-3 good results and Woodward presses reset. Give it a couple of poor results and it'll be back to linked with Pochettino again and rumbles of unhappiness at board level.

If Ole gets top 4 (or 5th guarantees CL football) he'll be safe. If neither, he's on the chopping block, I don't think anything has changed.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
fecking hell, a shit tweet by a nobody. Looks like one of those accounts that makes twitter a terrible place and account that just abuses every player on their page.

Woodward had investor call today and he should sound all positive no matter what. He won't be telling "Ole is getting sacked no matter what and we fecked up the appointment".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.