Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

rotherham_red

Its kinda pointless throwing in 7 or 8 new players and asking them to perform having not played since before the lockdown. Surely, 3 or 4 changes at max and allow some of the fringe players to play alongside the in form guys.
We are literally playing Brighton in 2 days' time. A Brighton, who have already taken points off Arsenal and Leicester since the restart. It's all well and good saying it now, but in the lead up to the game 95% of people were saying that a weakened team was needed.

Like I said, the only issue I had was Bruno starting and not Pogba, because Pogba hadn't started the first game and could have done with another, but other than that, that team should have had enough about it to have dealt with Norwich. Especially since the vast majority of those players were in the same side that easily beat them 7-1 over the course of the two games we'd already played them in this season.

Grande

We are literally playing Brighton in 2 days' time. A Brighton, who have already taken points off Arsenal and Leicester since the restart. It's all well and good saying it now, but in the lead up to the game 95% of people were saying that a weakened team was needed.

Like I said, the only issue I had was Bruno starting and not Pogba, because Pogba hadn't started the first game and could have done with another, but other than that, that team should have had enough about it to have dealt with Norwich. Especially since the vast majority of those players were in the same side that easily beat them 7-1 over the course of the two games we'd already played them in this season.
As calculated guessing go, I think it’s pretty impressive managing a cup squad with max rotation while still going through. It’s a perfect hit. With PL and EL both important, we need to get the whole squad going in terms of match fitness as well.
I get the point about Bruno/Pogba, then again, Pogba playing 3x 90 mins in a week so soon after a long injury lay off might not be advised, so I guess that would ve in the mix.

rotherham_red

As calculated guessing go, I think it’s pretty impressive managing a cup squad with max rotation while still going through. It’s a perfect hit. With PL and EL both important, we need to get the whole squad going in terms of match fitness as well.
I get the point about Bruno/Pogba, then again, Pogba playing 3x 90 mins in a week so soon after a long injury lay off might not be advised, so I guess that would ve in the mix.
Yeah, absolutely.

And re Pogba, that's also fair. Don't get me wrong, I didn't hate the decision to start Bruno, I just thought it might have been a good opportunity to build up Pogba's fitness. But that rationale you gave is perfectly reasonable as well.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Since Sir Alex Retired:

Excellent game, 3-0 win against Brighton. Unbeaten in 15 now. Look at those defensive stats :drool:

Club​
Manager​
Games Unbeaten​
Start Date​
End Date​
Goals For​
Goals Against​
Clean Sheets​
Win %​
City​
Guardiola​
28​
27.04.2017​
03.12.2017​
78​
18​
14​
86%​
Chelsea​
Jose​
23​
04.05.2014​
03.12.2014​
53​
16​
10​
74%​
Arsenal​
Emery​
22​
25.08.2018​
13.12.2018​
50​
19​
8​
77%​
City​
Pellegrini​
20​
30.10.2013​
29.01.2014​
69​
22​
7​
90%​
Liverpool​
Klopp​
19​
12.01.2019​
26.04.2019​
44​
12​
10​
74%​
Arsenal​
Wenger​
19​
20.08.2016​
27.11.2016​
45​
14​
8​
68%​
Liverpool​
Klopp​
19​
22.09.2019​
14.12.2019​
44​
18​
5​
84%​
Chelsea​
Sarri​
18​
11.08.2018​
11.11.2018​
38​
12​
9​
78%​
Chelsea​
Jose​
18​
27.01.2015​
10.05.2015​
25​
12​
8​
61%​
Liverpool​
Klopp​
18​
28.10.2017​
14.01.2018​
55​
16​
8​
72%​
Tottenham​
Poch​
17​
23.12.2017​
03.03.2018​
40​
12​
9​
65%​
Manchester Utd​
Jose​
17​
06.11.2016​
21.01.2017​
36​
10​
7​
71%​
City​
Guardiola​
16​
22.09.2018​
04.12.2018​
49​
7​
10​
88%​
Liverpool​
Klopp​
15​
23.08.2016​
29.11.2016​
40​
10​
6​
80%​
Manchester Utd
Ole
73%

el3mel

As I said during half time, fair feck to him for the offensive form we're in at the moment. Finally, we look like a full offensive team with loads of plays and options across the field. Impossible for the opponent to keep all these attacking players quiet at once and tactically we alternate attacks all over the pitch so that no attack is similar to the previous one.

He has been doing great managing the side since Bruno signing and I'm really pleased. I'm not much more open to let him continue his job as there's no need to destroy everything he has done till now.

AshRK

Give him better quality and he will do even better, simple as that. Even pep.or klopp cannot do well with lingard and periera starting in your midfield. Bruno should have been signed earlier and we would have been in the 4th position or even better.

crossy1686

career ending
Couple of turning points this season:
- The board backing him and having the balls to get rid of the players that didn't want to be here. Lukaku, Sanchez, Rojo and Smalling. Much to the dismay of many people on here who felt we were weakening the squad.
- Having faith in the academy players. Greenwood, Williams, McTomminay, Rashford, Chong have all had varying impacts this season, most of them better than players we could have signed.
- Recruitment in the summer. Solid purchases with Wan-Bissaka, James and Maguire. All better than what we had and hit the ground running. All look like they were born to play for United.
- Identifying Fernandes and pulling the trigger on the transfer in January which is a very difficult window to do any kind of decent business.
- Changing our style of football to being a solid counter-attacking team.

If you cannot see the green shoots of recovery at this point there is no helping you or you have an agenda against the man.

Not only does Ole deserve credit but the board do too for some (finally) good decision making.

Kag

Give him better quality and he will do even better, simple as that. Even pep.or klopp cannot do well with lingard and periera starting in your midfield. Bruno should have been signed earlier and we would have been in the 4th position or even better.
This is the top and bottom of it. We’ve played the majority of our games this season with either Lingard or Pereira at #10. They wouldn’t start for Watford or Villa.

If we can keep our best players fit then we’re golden; Ole has done so well with the make up of the squad. But our alternatives in event of injury are dross and I worry about injuries to key players.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Ole deserves so much credit!!!!!!

From taking over such a toxic situation, to have fundamentally restructured the squad, rejuvenated the DNA, traditions and culture of the club, and created several styles of play, all under huge scrutiny and pressure from media and internet fans alike. Just brilliant. And those of us who backed him all the way, have enjoyed the ride with him.

I think he is just a Sancho away from a 1st team that can beat anyone, and perhaps 2 more high level squad players to seriously challenge for the league.

Just brilliant!

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
This is the first time I've actually thought we've looked well trained under Ole in an attacking possession style - along with the Sheffield performance. This first XI works extremely well. Very very promising.

Glorio

I absolutely loved him as a player, and have desperately wished him success as a manager. He may have struggled with poor players at Cardiff and made mistakes, but that's what learning experiences are about. Given the job he did for the reserves and for Molde (a team that could compete with it's rivals), plus his old team mates talking about his tactical mind, I was happy to give him a chance - he was one of us after all, and his passion for United and desire to pick the team up was clear as day from the start.

Absolutely love the job he's doing, and this is not a knee jerk, it's looking at all the consistent performances since Jan, and the upward trend of performance levels - plus he's been decisive in transfers, and has hardly put a foot wrong.

I remember him acknowledging last year that we needed to graft and counter at pace because we couldn't play with the ball like City yet. It struck me as someone who was honest about where we were, found a way for what he had to win games at the time, and more importantly, knew where he wanted us to be.

He's been brilliant in his rebuilding job, and though it's taken time for his vision to start to materialise, he always told us it would, and that it would take time. Prior to this period of form, the players still worked harder for him than they'd worked for any other manager I think. For him it's club first, him second. Whereas the 3 before him were all about making personal statements.

Look at Paul and Bruno. We all wondered how they'd both play and not have the team overly exposed, and he's found the perfect approach with Pogba running things from deep and Bruno further forward.

I honestly cannot understand fans on here who insist on castigating him - Pep came from the Barca B team and was trusted, Lampard did a good job at Derby, but that's a jump to Chelsea, and his praises are being sung everywhere.

Any analyst will tell you to watch out for trends, and the trend has been upward and steady since Jan - I for one am firmly on the bandwagon with Ole at the wheel!

Reactions: JPRouve

sport2793

This is the first time I've actually thought we've looked well trained under Ole in an attacking possession style - along with the Sheffield performance. This first XI works extremely well. Very very promising.
Ya this was mentioned in the NBCSN halftime discussion, there is now a more defined pattern of play. Shaw was regularly posting in an inverted fullback position while AWB was given license to push forward, similar to how Pep likes his full backs at times. Was interesting to watch today.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Since Sir Alex Retired:

Excellent game, 3-0 win against Brighton. Unbeaten in 15 now. Look at those defensive stats :drool:

Club​
Manager​
Games Unbeaten​
Start Date​
End Date​
Goals For​
Goals Against​
Clean Sheets​
Win %​
City​
Guardiola​
28​
27.04.2017​
03.12.2017​
78​
18​
14​
86%​
Chelsea​
Jose​
23​
04.05.2014​
03.12.2014​
53​
16​
10​
74%​
Arsenal​
Emery​
22​
25.08.2018​
13.12.2018​
50​
19​
8​
77%​
City​
Pellegrini​
20​
30.10.2013​
29.01.2014​
69​
22​
7​
90%​
Liverpool​
Klopp​
19​
12.01.2019​
26.04.2019​
44​
12​
10​
74%​
Arsenal​
Wenger​
19​
20.08.2016​
27.11.2016​
45​
14​
8​
68%​
Liverpool​
Klopp​
19​
22.09.2019​
14.12.2019​
44​
18​
5​
84%​
Chelsea​
Sarri​
18​
11.08.2018​
11.11.2018​
38​
12​
9​
78%​
Chelsea​
Jose​
18​
27.01.2015​
10.05.2015​
25​
12​
8​
61%​
Liverpool​
Klopp​
18​
28.10.2017​
14.01.2018​
55​
16​
8​
72%​
Tottenham​
Poch​
17​
23.12.2017​
03.03.2018​
40​
12​
9​
65%​
Manchester Utd​
Jose​
17​
06.11.2016​
21.01.2017​
36​
10​
7​
71%​
City​
Guardiola​
16​
22.09.2018​
04.12.2018​
49​
7​
10​
88%​
Liverpool​
Klopp​
15​
23.08.2016​
29.11.2016​
40​
10​
6​
80%​
Manchester Utd
Ole
73%
What is this? Didn't Liverpool almost just break Arsenal's 49 match unbeaten run?

AshRK

People.need to stop over analyzing his time at Cardiff. He took over a shit team in January and unsurprisingly got relegated. I doubt any manager would have done different. The whole idea that people used to say he is the worst manager in the league and even championship teams won't hire him. Well he has improved our side.

BestRed

Ole deserves so much credit!!!!!!

From taking over such a toxic situation, to have fundamentally restructured the squad, rejuvenated the DNA, traditions and culture of the club, and creates several styles of play, all under huge scrutiny and pressure from media and internet fans alike. Just brilliant. And those of us who backed him all the way, have enjoyed the ride with him.

I think he is just a Sancho away from a 1st team that can beat anyone, and perhaps 2 more players high level squad players to seriously challenge for the league.

Just brilliant!
Yeah this 100%, the difference is night & day from where we were when Ole came in. And the biggest thing for me is that it just feels like United again, the fighting spirit, workrate and enjoyment are all evident with this squad. And that's all down Ole and his coaching staff.

RkkMan

I`ve had my reservations over him and still do but he`s slowly winning me over. There is no doubt he`s improved the team in a manner LVG/Jose/Moyes could. His signings have all been solid as well. If he gets us top 4 and a trophy then we can comfortably say we`ve found our perfect manager post Fergie.

Pav1878

Yeah this 100%, the difference is night & day from where we were when Ole came in. And the biggest thing for me is that it just feels like United again, the fighting spirit, workrate and enjoyment are all evident with this squad. And that's all down Ole and his coaching staff.
Absolutely, it's a joy to see the team develop. I still have some reservations, but I'm loving the feeling of optimism and how everyone is looking forward to the next game again. Also can't wait for next season and to see how we do. Don't think we will challenge but would be nice to be within 10 or less points to Liverpool, would be good progress.

Handré1990

He’s the best cheerleader we’ve ever had:drool: Seriously though, nothing but respect for the man. It takes character and belief to turn around a team like ours after our first half of the season. The so called world class managers Mourinho and LvG managed to do exactly that. The less said about Moyes the better. I believe!

Him and his staff have us playing some of the best stuff in the league at the moment.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
He’s the best cheerleader we’ve ever had:drool: Seriously though, nothing but respect for the man. It takes character and belief to turn around a team like ours after our first half of the season. The so called world class managers Mourinho and LvG managed to do exactly that. The less said about Moyes the better. I believe!

Him and his staff have us playing some of the best stuff in the league at the moment.
Mind you he played entire first half of the season with just 2 MF option in Fred and Scott.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
People.need to stop over analyzing his time at Cardiff. He took over a shit team in January and unsurprisingly got relegated. I doubt any manager would have done different. The whole idea that people used to say he is the worst manager in the league and even championship teams won't hire him. Well he has improved our side.
Almost feel his past jobs shouldn't even come into the discussion anymore, what he's done with us already surpasses his past managerial appointments. When talking about Ole as a manager the only job he should be judged on is the one he's doing here and now for us

Handré1990

Mind you he played entire first half of the season with just 2 MF option in Fred and Scott.
Definitely, but it’s more about the way he carried himself throughout. Really talked a good game, didn’t seem to lose his belief or go bat shit like a certain someone. Very classy guy our manager. He did get a lot of heat during that barren spell. Even here in Norway where his appointment was celebrated by everyone from our royal family to our prime minister, a lot of so called experts were writing pages and pages on how he was out of his debt, a lottery winner etc.

Not a lot of managers of top teams managed to turn around such terrible situations from the top of my head.

He'sRaldo

Exactly, this is the most encouraging thing for me. The positional play, partnerships, pressing, and counter pressing was all pretty spot on.

I'm sure some stuff was worked on over the lockdown with the full first team. I didn't know the coaches had it in them so good on them.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Our current team would pretty much demolish any of our other teams since SAF retired, which tells you what I think of our current quality. I mentioned it in a different thread but the way he's got our team suffocating the other team in possession is fantastic, it rarely leaves us exposed and keeps the other teams constantly chasing shadows. It's actually what I envisioned LvG's team would look like, but our passing, particularly out from the back seems to have direction and purpose.

A lot of it comes from that midfield 3 of Pogba, Matic and Fernandes, all 3 are incredibly gifted and intelligent footballers and they basically control every minute of the game when they play together, it's a sight to behold. I'm very keen to see how it evolves because, as amazing as he's been, I still think there's more to come from Fernandes.

I've noticed a lot more that our full backs and wingers are looking to put the ball back into dangerous areas by pulling the ball back between the six yard box and the penalty spot, instead of aimlessly crossing it to the back stick. With slightly better movement I envision we'll start scoring even more chances.

BestRed

Absolutely, it's a joy to see the team develop. I still have some reservations, but I'm loving the feeling of optimism and how everyone is looking forward to the next game again. Also can't wait for next season and to see how we do. Don't think we will challenge but would be nice to be within 10 or less points to Liverpool, would be good progress.
Yeah while it'd be very tough to make up the gap to the top next season, stranger things have happened.

If the team continues developing the way we have been, while taking the age of the majority of the players into account theres a hell of a lot more to come from these lads individually and as a team. Add a couple of top additions into the mix, and it's game on.

Long way to go and no doubt there'll be more ups & downs along the way, but if people keep patient and recognise the good work being done, we won't be very far away imo from competing at the top again pretty soon.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I`ve had my reservations over him and still do but he`s slowly winning me over. There is no doubt he`s improved the team in a manner LVG/Jose/Moyes could. His signings have all been solid as well. If he gets us top 4 and a trophy then we can comfortably say we`ve found our perfect manager post Fergie.
He is building something here, and I think his way of doing things has led us on this path. He is saying the right things, doing the right things on and off the field, and if that is a rebuilding job he can't get to go all the way in a few years we'll get someone else. However, it would be dumb to stop the progress by being overly critical and demand proof of success from him right now. He has proved himself to do whats best for our club, developing us into a modern side with his own little touch of United magic and it will lead us to glory. Believe that.

If it doesn't, he'll still have improved our side and reestablished things after the other managers sort of ruined the general vibe of all things Man Utd. One thing that I found weird was that Moyes, Mourinho and LVG especially always used to find a team that worked, then for some reason never played that team again. :lol: Now everyone agrees that Lingard should be out the squad, he is out. Mata shouldn't play, he doesn't. Pereira ahead of them as back up but not in front of anyone else, done. Bruno and Pogba in midfield, he delivers. We want Matic to cover them, he gets the job. We scream for Mason to be prioritised in front of James, he let the boy run wild.

Last year I thought this would happen later on in the season and I'm so happy it has. Earlier it was too soon for Greenwood, we didn't have Bruno, and both Pogba, Rashford and Martial were out injured. So James and Lingard it was.

Sylar

Little sad how this thread is going quieter with him and the team doing well.

I think he's found his best 11 as well.

Womp

idiot
I'm really cautious to get giddy, these false dawns have become far too common with us over the years, but we are playing some great stuff. I am worried about how overly reliant we seem to be on Pogba, Bruno and Matic though. We absolutely need a backup creative midfielder and DM.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Is doing a very good job. Of course we want trophies but it's not a league where there are no challengers or anything is given for free. So we just have to keep taking it one step at a time.

Jonno

I think he's doing a fantastic job. The results are important, but everything he's doing off the pitch is now showing on the pitch. Well done Ole.

He might not ever lift the PL, he might do. But I think he has now passed that uncertain period where people were mocking him, he will forever be applauded out of the door when his managerial era at the club comes to an end.

I really do hope he takes us back to the top, but if he doesn't, if he isn't quite good enough to win serious trophies, he will have teed up the next manager superbly. Every manager since Fergie (bar Moyes) has walked into a circus, a broken squad. Ole has restored so much of what was damaged.

romufc

I'm really cautious to get giddy, these false dawns have become far too common with us over the years, but we are playing some great stuff. I am worried about how overly reliant we seem to be on Pogba, Bruno and Matic though. We absolutely need a backup creative midfielder and DM.
I wouldnt't be surprised many fans feeling this way. Jose when he first came in, we looked like we were back. Ole had the run. That is the only time in 7 years, we have got our hopes up and they went crashing real quick.

It is best to have caution. None of this form will matter if we dont get CL imo.

Lj82

He is building something here, and I think his way of doing things has led us on this path. He is saying the right things, doing the right things on and off the field, and if that is a rebuilding job he can't get to go all the way in a few years we'll get someone else. However, it would be dumb to stop the progress by being overly critical and demand proof of success from him right now. He has proved himself to do whats best for our club, developing us into a modern side with his own little touch of United magic and it will lead us to glory. Believe that.

If it doesn't, he'll still have improved our side and reestablished things after the other managers sort of ruined the general vibe of all things Man Utd. One thing that I found weird was that Moyes, Mourinho and LVG especially always used to find a team that worked, then for some reason never played that team again. :lol: Now everyone agrees that Lingard should be out the squad, he is out. Mata shouldn't play, he doesn't. Pereira ahead of them as back up but not in front of anyone else, done. Bruno and Pogba in midfield, he delivers. We want Matic to cover them, he gets the job. We scream for Mason to be prioritised in front of James, he let the boy run wild.

Last year I thought this would happen later on in the season and I'm so happy it has. Earlier it was too soon for Greenwood, we didn't have Bruno, and both Pogba, Rashford and Martial were out injured. So James and Lingard it was.
I always thought that LVG had found his winning formula. We were so dominant at one stage under his reign. But he quickly dismantled it as it didn't fit with his philosophy. Ended up with that string of zero shots on targets games that really made me gave up.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
His man management is great and I think that we can all be giddy when it comes to that. Tactically, I'm skeptical because we have seen how disjointed we are when a single important player is out which means that the system doesn't elevate our players but our players elevate the system. Now, it's not the end of the world because as long as we strengthen in depth I believe that Ole will be a safe manager, he won't do things that will put us in trouble, you could compare his status to Pellegrini with City, he won't do miracles but he is currently a solid option.

kidbob

His man management is great and I think that we can all be giddy when it comes to that. Tactically, I'm skeptical because we have seen how disjointed we are when a single important player is out which means that the system doesn't elevate our players but our players elevate the system. Now, it's not the end of the world because as long as we strengthen in depth I believe that Ole will be a safe manager, he won't do things that will put us in trouble, you could compare his status to Pellegrini with City, he won't do miracles but he is currently a solid option.
What do you think of the possibility of replacing Phelan? Kind of like let Ole do what he does best and find the perfect assistant to further our tactical play. A bit like Fergie did with Queiroz. I don't personally know of any names out there but surely there are assistants out there where this is their strongest suit. I think the positivity, knowledge of the club and man management that Ole brings is pretty indispensable so maybe the best course of action is to improve the tactics and cohesion by bringing in an assistant tasked to do this rather than changing the manager.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What do you think of the possibility of replacing Phelan? Kind of like let Ole do what he does best and find the perfect assistant to further our tactical play. A bit like Fergie did with Queiroz. I don't personally know of any names out there but surely there are assistants out there where this is their strongest suit. I think the positivity, knowledge of the club and man management that Ole brings is pretty indispensable so maybe the best course of action is to improve the tactics and cohesion by bringing in an assistant tasked to do this rather than changing the manager.
I don't really have an opinion on Phelan, he has been described by SAF as man management type of assistant so he is probably important in that department, my understanding is that SAF would divide things between the assistant manager and the first team coach. When the assistant manager is a tactician the first team coach is a man management guy, for example Queiroz-Phelan, when the assistant manager is a man management guy then the first team coach is a tactician-skills specialist, for example Phelan-Meulensteen.

So I would guess that it would make more sense to keep Phelan, until he retires, and try to improve/change the rest of the coaching staff. I trust Ole with that, he seems to have good judgement.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I always thought that LVG had found his winning formula. We were so dominant at one stage under his reign. But he quickly dismantled it as it didn't fit with his philosophy. Ended up with that string of zero shots on targets games that really made me gave up.
Yesterday was Oles 53rd League game managing United. In that time United have scored 87 goals, in 53 games LVG's team had scored 82 goals and Joses team had scored 89.

The big difference between Ole and Lvg/Jose is the goals conceded totals. That's where we've let ourselves down in the past 12 months but I think our summer spending is starting to pay dividends, as witnissed by our excellent defensive stats during our unbeaten run. I know some people on the Caf think we could have spent our Summer money more wisely but I completely disagree, bringing in Maguire and AWB has changed our defensive fortunes completely and we finally have a solid foundation again. Exciting times.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don't really have an opinion on Phelan, he has been described by SAF as man management type of assistant so he is probably important in that department, my understanding is that SAF would divide things between the assistant manager and the first team coach. When the assistant manager is a tactician the first team coach is a man management guy, for example Queiroz-Phelan, when the assistant manager is a man management guy then the first team coach is a tactician-skills specialist, for example Phelan-Meulensteen.

So I would guess that it would make more sense to keep Phelan, until he retires, and try to improve/change the rest of the coaching staff. I trust Ole with that, he seems to have good judgement.
In few of the interviews Ole said McKenna and Carrick are in charge of training sessions. I think Ole and Phelan are more 'Managers' than coaches.

keithsingleton

Ive always been a doubter of Ole from day one due to his pedigree as a manager, that hasn't changed. Granted he seems to be learning more and more as the weeks/months go by but i stil doubt he can take us to that level City & Liverpool are playing at. Hopefully he continues to Improve and more importantly prove me wrong. :)

On a postive side it's certainly great watching us play again. When Bruno & Pogba are in the team the adrenaline does get the blood vessels working overtime. Ole getting Bruno has defiantly given him a life line for still being the manager next year. He's basically doing what the likes of Ronaldo / Rooney / Cantona did when they first came into the team.

Hopefully Ole keeps proving us doubters (( me)) wrong and goes on to be a Fergie.

Status
Not open for further replies.