Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
A rare misstep in a big game. James shouldn’t be anywhere near these games and the substitutions ruined our (fleeting) momentum. It doesn’t justify the usual drama, mind you.

I do think Ole has a midfield dilemma. He likes the McTominay/Fred balance but also understands that they’re not really good enough on the ball. He also knows that Pogba should be on the field, however, he isn’t really a balanced fit in the midfield at the moment. He loves what Matic brings to the table in terms of ball retention and composure but also knows that he’s too slow to really pair up with Pogba in a two man midfield.

Our midfield is a conundrum. It’s like we need to amalgamate Matic and Fred/McTominay into the same player to really make it work.
I agree with the midfield dilemma- but dont you think that this is due to him fitting players in to a formation rather than building a formation for his players?

It was clear from last season to some that Mctomminay & Fred were better in a double pivot 4231 than Pogba & his midfield partner seem to be.

I'm glad he took Pogba out of that and went back to Mctomminay & Fred but why stick with a 4231 if it isnt getting the best out of our players.

Why stick with a 4231 and play Daniel James out wide, was it just because of him wanting to stick to a formation so decided to fit James in it since we had no one else? We did but they just didnt fit the 4231.

That's why it gets me frustrated because he can make subs halfway through a game and have our best players on the pitch arguably playing in a good formation when we need a goal but seems to reverse to the 4231 when we start a match.

I'm not frustrated at drawing with Chelsea but it's his ability to progress as a manager and his players for a game or two and then go back to his favoured tactics and players just doesn't sit well in the stomach at times

rotherham_red

Annoying and risky line up (though I could understand why he went down the route he went down), and lucky to get away with it with that in mind, but outside of the lineup I thought we were the slightly better side but we weren't doing enough in attack to force the result. Irrespective, I'll take the point and move on to Leipzig and Arsenal.

Personally, I'd have gone for Pogba and Matic/Fred in the double pivot and went for dominance of possession because I could tell that Lamps was going to go down the 3-5-2 route after it worked for him the last time out.

In truth however, if anyone offered 2 wins and a draw this week, I'd have ripped their hands off considering one of those three games was PSG away.

Hopefully we bring in Greenwood and VdB/Pogba back in the lineup next time out and rest Rashford and Bruno once in the next two weeks.

If after the end of this gauntlet of fixtures we can point to the following results:

Newcastle W
PSG W
Chelsea D
Leipzig: D/W
Arsenal W
Istanbul W
Everton D/W

Would anyone be mad at that? Really? We had people writing obituaries over his managerial reign during the international break, precisely because of this run of fixtures, FFS. Give him and the team some credit!

Foxbatt

Annoying and risky line up (though I could understand why he went down the route he went down), and lucky to get away with it with that in mind, but outside of the lineup I thought we were the slightly better side but we weren't doing enough in attack to force the result. Irrespective, I'll take the point and move on to Leipzig and Arsenal.

Personally, I'd have gone for Pogba and Matic/Fred in the double pivot and went for dominance of possession because I could tell that Lamps was going to go down the 3-5-2 route after it worked for him the last time out.

In truth however, if anyone offered 2 wins and a draw this week, I'd have ripped their hands off considering one of those three games was PSG away.

Hopefully we bring in Greenwood and VdB/Pogba back in the lineup next time out and rest Rashford and Bruno once in the next two weeks.

If after the end of this gauntlet of fixtures we can point to the following results:

Newcastle W
PSG W
Chelsea D
Arsenal W
Istanbul W
Everton D/W

Would anyone be mad at that? Really? We had people writing obituaries over his managerial reign during the international break, precisely because of this run of fixtures, FFS. Give him and the team some credit!
For me the Leipzig result is not so important as in the PL. If anyone told me that after 5 games we will be in the 15th position I would have told him that he is mad.

Strelok

To be honest I get why he started James. He probably assumed Chelsea would leave gaps. What I don’t get was the incredible lack of intensity and purpose through the entire game. How do you go from Tuesday night to this? We weren’t playing against a great side today. Should have been far more put into trying to win that game.

15th in the league after 5 games is very concerning especially with a defensive Arsenal to come and then Everton. Much improvement needed.
Agreed.

Imo his lineup, game plan and subs are pretty ok this match.

Ole expected Lampard to go for the attack. That's why he played James to counter and attack the gaps behind. But Lampard had got wiser I think, both teams were tired from the CL match, both know they have slow defenders and very quick attackers. So both planned to start slow and wait for others mistake. If Rashford buried his chance in the first half the plan had worked perfectly.

In the second half he brought on Pogba and Cavani to find a goal. The last 15' we dominated the game and attacked a lot but unfortunately we didn't score.

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
United vs Chelsea 14 shots (4 on target) vs 6 shots (1 on target) score 0:0
PSG vs United 14 shots (5 on target) vs 14 shots (6 on target) score 1:2
Chelsea vs Sevilla 6 shots (4 on target) vs 5 shots (2 on target) score 0:0

We were always the better team in that game. The ones who played boring football was Lampard and he did it in two games in a row against Sevilla and us. Our build up was slow but nothing surprised me when the opposition team decided to sit so deep even Liverpool Klopp build up was shite when they played against United’s Mourinho.

Stretender

For me the Leipzig result is not so important as in the PL. If anyone told me that after 5 games we will be in the 15th position I would have told him that he is mad.
City are 12th and only a point separates us from them.

Its too early to be worrying about that now.

Newcastle W
PSG W
Chelsea D
Arsenal W
Istanbul W
Everton D/W

Good post. Some people need a reality check.

This constant moaning about Ole is nothing but a sense of entitlement by some of our fans.

When we set up as an attacking team and get run over 6-1 by Spurs, people are calling for Ole's head. Now he sets up a team to be solid defensively, people complain again.

We will start getting some good results soon so I expect people to be honest and praise Ole about that.

We are 6 points off the leaders, 2 points behind Arsenal and Chelsea, and a point behind City. This is not a bad position yet. Let's calm down a bit, the team looks defensively solid than I saw it against Palace, Brighton and Spurs.

Rashford had one or 2 clear cut chances if he had buried those, people would be calling Ole a genius.

Let's keep the positivity and stop moaning just for the sake of it.

Tarrou

Although not the worst result I felt Ole did poorly today. The inclusion of James makes no sense at this point and once it became clear Fat Frank came to park the bus, we needed to be more proactive with our subs and game strategy.

Why keep the same team and tactics at the start of the second half? It’s frustrating but I think the memory of the Spurs game was fresh enough to make Ole reticent to go for it - which is somewhat understandable.

dabeast

Evra is, by far, the best pundit because he is not afraid to say what he thinks and because, unlike Keane, he is not crazy. He accuses Ole and the players of playing with fear. He was absolutely right.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
If Psg game was masterclass (and it was) then today he failed. Wrong formation, wrong lineup and wrong approach.
Why go back with 4231 with so many other options? Why the hell is he so obsessed with that winger formation? Ditch it, ffs. You don't have wingers and it doesn't work. On top of that you have 4 class strikers and 6 pretty good midfielders.
Stop playing with wingers!
Our best run of form came playing 4231, and depending on who plays there, they are not really wingers. Our defensive shape is 4231, but in attack its more of a 4213 really

1. Despite all the moaning about James i understand why he was picked. Greenwood have been injured and/or there have been reports of misconduct. Its clear hes above James in the pecking order so hes not picking James "just because", there is probably a reason for it. Also i suspect James struggles with confidence and pressure and does better in training than he shows on the pitch. He started very brightly for us and played with no fear while now he constantly seems to make the worst possible decision at every turn

2. The absence of Martial really fecks up our attacking plan. Rashford is great when facing goal, but his hold up and link up play centrally leaves a lot to be desired. Last season we had 2.26 PPG and 2.2 GPG when Martial was playing and just 1.16/1.05 when he was not. Thats a massive difference. Its not that Martial is directly involved in all of that, but his movement tends to drag defenders out of position which enables Bruno to play his best football and it also opens up room for Rashford and Greenwood. Hopefully Cavani will be able to slot into that role, but this was his first game since March so we need to manage him properly

3. As others have pointed out, we have a bit of a conundrum in midfield. After the first few games, everyone had the knives out for Pogba/Matic, which was understandable. They were gash. Fred and McTomminay offers a lot more energy and defensive cover, but usually very little creativity so all of the creative burden falls on Bruno. I agree that a 442 diamond would allow for more creativity centrally, but that means we have to leave out one of Rashford, Martial, Greenwood/Cavani. It also offers no width

Web of Bissaka

Evra is, by far, the best pundit because he is not afraid to say what he thinks and because, unlike Keane, he is not crazy. He accuses Ole and the players of playing with fear. He was absolutely right.
He did?! :devil: Wow!

Yeah Keane tend to watch his mouth for loyalty, never criticize Ole. As does all the other ex-players really.

Btw, Evra is crazy, he can easily make crazy comments now and then.

Web of Bissaka

2. The absence of Martial really fecks up our attacking plan. Rashford is great when facing goal, but his hold up and link up play centrally leaves a lot to be desired. Last season we had 2.26 PPG and 2.2 GPG when Martial was playing and just 1.16/1.05 when he was not. Thats a massive difference. Its not that Martial is directly involved in all of that, but his movement tends to drag defenders out of position which enables Bruno to play his best football and it also opens up room for Rashford and Greenwood. Hopefully Cavani will be able to slot into that role, but this was his first game since March so we need to manage him properly

3. As others have pointed out, we have a bit of a conundrum in midfield. After the first few games, everyone had the knives out for Pogba/Matic, which was understandable. They were gash. Fred and McTomminay offers a lot more energy and defensive cover, but usually very little creativity so all of the creative burden falls on Bruno. I agree that a 442 diamond would allow for more creativity centrally, but that means we have to leave out one of Rashford, Martial, Greenwood/Cavani. It also offers no width
Agree.
Martial is important, always playing key role.

As for your other point... no, we do not solely rely on Bruno. That's why Ole played Mata. We could tilt this even further by playing either VDB or Pogba at LW instead of James, for greater creativity. Unfortunately we don't, tactically wrong and then we wasted around 50 mins before making changes. Even when we play Rashford and Greenwood on the wings, we don't have good width. We're too central, and interestingly we suddenly have good width when we put Rashford on RW or RF.

Web of Bissaka

Those quotes aside, I'm impressed with the excuses + protection Ole is giving in to cover his weaknesses and players.

Why we lost?
  • No fans to support the players.
  • Fatigue (he gave slight hints about it).
  • Chelsea have good defense and keeper.
  • We lack the "edge".

Sorry but that reeks of not taking responsibility.. then again still no new top class coaches joining his team isn't it..

Bobcat

Agree.
Martial is important, always playing key role.

As for your other point... no, we do not solely rely on Bruno. That's why Ole played Mata. We could tilt this even further by playing either VDB or Pogba at LW instead of James, for greater creativity. Unfortunately we don't, tactically wrong and then we wasted around 50 mins before making changes. Even when we play Rashford and Greenwood on the wings, we don't have good width. We're too central, and interestingly we suddenly have good width when we put Rashford on RW or RF.
No we dont solely rely on Bruno for creativity, but we do so for our build up play centrally when Fred/McTomminey are playing there. I dont know if they were specifically instructed to sit deep yesterday, but they almost never advanced past the halfway line, so we ended up 4 vs 8 when we were attacking as Chelsea had their midfield very deep most of the match

Chelsea defended very well yesterday and neither Fred nor McTomminay had the confidence/ability to beat their first line of press so it just ended up in a stalemate where neither team had the numbers in attack to create any proper problems for the other side.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Ole has received some justifiable criticism since taking the job, but this is a weird one to have a go at him over. Its a draw against Chelsea, which is miles away from a disaster. Their goalkeeper has also made 2 very good saves, and Rashford squandered a 1 on 1. All the while, Chelsea created absolutely nothing.

The league table doesn't look good, but in isolation this result was just fine.

Also worth noting Ole did try to change it with the introduction of Cavani and Pogba very early in the 2nd half.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
No we dont solely rely on Bruno for creativity, but we do so for our build up play centrally when Fred/McTomminey are playing there. I dont know if they were specifically instructed to sit deep yesterday, but they almost never advanced past the halfway line, so we ended up 4 vs 8 when we were attacking as Chelsea had their midfield very deep most of the match

Chelsea defended very well yesterday and neither Fred nor McTomminay had the confidence/ability to beat their first line of press so it just ended up in a stalemate where neither team had the numbers in attack to create any proper problems for the other side.
The McTominay and Fred midfield wasn't an issue when Bruno and Mata were running circles around PSG defenders in midweek. The bigger issue was the downgrade from Martial to Dan James in one of the attacking slots. The midfield wins a lot of duels, which in turn sets up counter attacking chances, which the team is quite good at converting so you cannot simply measure their attacking contributions with forward passes.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I think there's a lot of wisdom in forcing Ole to hire an experienced assistant manager, even someone like Steve McLaren who isn't a threat to him but has a fresh set of ideas would be a great addition to Phelan, Carrick and McKenna right now.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I think there's a lot of wisdom in forcing Ole to hire an experienced assistant manager, even someone like Steve McLaren who isn't a threat to him but has a fresh set of ideas would be a great addition to Phelan, Carrick and McKenna right now.
How about Alan Curbishley instead? David O’Leary is also available?

AshRK

The issue is Ole still doesn't know his best 11 and the shape that will be successful. Yesterday the 6-1 scar was still there and you could clearly see with the way we set up. But I looked at that bench and I am like surely you have to have some of that quality start. Eventually Ole will but even then I am not a fan of 4 2 3 1 formation or 4 2 1 3 whatever you call it.

People cry about pogba but truth is pogba bruno together don't look that great unless they have two holding midfielders behind them. Similarly the front three of Greenwood martial rashford looks good on paper but again that makes us defensively vulnerable and we look out of shape. Yesterday was boring but one thing I will say is we were always in tma shape which we were not against spurs or brighton or palace.

Ole cannot continue with one fixed system. He has to be flexible according to the games and start his best players in that system. We have a good squad but he has to start them wisely.

Anustart89

Ole expected Lampard to go for the attack. That's why he played James to counter and attack the gaps behind.
How many times over his 40+ games for us has Dan James shown that he can punish space left in behind?

Apart from his goal against Chelsea to make it 4-0 and his assist for Rashford against Liverpool, how often has he punished the opposition for leaving him with space?

We took the absolute piss out of Jesse for his 0 goals/assists in a calendar year and in two months James will have matched that.

Eplel

The problem here is that we have 1 attacking plan. Take out one of the key players, and instead of showing some fluidity, we stick to the same plan, but with worse players.

Our inability to mix it up is one of our biggest flaws.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ole has received some justifiable criticism since taking the job, but this is a weird one to have a go at him over. Its a draw against Chelsea, which is miles away from a disaster. Their goalkeeper has also made 2 very good saves, and Rashford squandered a 1 on 1. All the while, Chelsea created absolutely nothing.

The league table doesn't look good, but in isolation this result was just fine.

Also worth noting Ole did try to change it with the introduction of Cavani and Pogba very early in the 2nd half.
If its a 0-0 from a game where we were trying to control and win the game, of course its no problem.

The crux of the issue with yesterday is the passive nature we went about the game rather than the result. The result itself doesn't help not because of isolation, but the fact that we are now still winless at OT this season for the longest time in ages.

Moreover the top goalscorers are OT aren't our players but Kane, Son and Zaha. Ole said himself he needs to address OT form and is full of pump in the presser, which is fine, but then he plays us out to have a cautious, passive style. It made little sense.

Bobcat

The McTominay and Fred midfield wasn't an issue when Bruno and Mata were running circles around PSG defenders in midweek. The bigger issue was the downgrade from Martial to Dan James in one of the attacking slots. The midfield wins a lot of duels, which in turn sets up counter attacking chances, which the team is quite good at converting so you cannot simply measure their attacking contributions with forward passes.
Of course James for Martial is a big downgrade, but it still does not change the fact that Fred/McTomminay needs to be more involved in our build up play besides just passing it out wide to Shaw/AWB and let them handle it

CG1010

Couldn’t agree more.

The most infuriating aspect of Solskjaer’s tenure, IMO. Furthermore, it’s not like the ‘favourites’ are pulling up any trees either. Rashford, Maguire, Martial, De Gea et al regularly throw in 5/10 performances but are automatics every single week.

Nauseating for supporters; God knows how the substitutes bench and extended squad feel about it.
Add Bruno and that's probably our core set of players you have listed here.. I would love to know what alternatives you suggest for them to play instead.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Of course James for Martial is a big downgrade, but it still does not change the fact that Fred/McTomminay needs to be more involved in our build up play besides just passing it out wide to Shaw/AWB and let them handle it
If you are passing the ball out to Telles as a LWB that makes a difference.

Strelok

How many times over his 40+ games for us has Dan James shown that he can punish space left in behind?

Apart from his goal against Chelsea to make it 4-0 and his assist for Rashford against Liverpool, how often has he punished the opposition for leaving him with space?

We took the absolute piss out of Jesse for his 0 goals/assists in a calendar year and in two months James will have matched that.
:confused:

You mean we should start Lingod instead of James?

R77

Evra and his angle are endearing and all, but they're both right. It's not a binary thing.

Ignoring the context; no preseason, terrible start, late signings, etc... Is unfair, despite the disappointment in the game. It's also worth crediting the opposition. They're another big team that came desperately trying to fix their defence, and doing very well at it. We still almost made the difference, in an empty stadium in the p*ssing rain. Peak Evra makes good viewing though.

The Dan James related glitch in the matrix (the only truly fair complaint supporting 'playing your best players') is a temporary pestilence. We should forget and move on.

Newcastle W
PSG W
Chelsea D
Arsenal W
Istanbul W
Everton D/W

I could see us losing the RBL game and it still not being a disaster in the long run, but many folks will go postal. The main grief seems to be that it's not a high functioning Man Utd machine, but that's entirely the point. It's not, and hasn't been for a good while. Patience.

rotherham_red

5 games where the gap between us and first is 6 points with us having a game in hand? Win that game and it's only 3 with us still having to play the vast majority of the rest of the season.

EDIT - Win our game in hand and we're 7th on goal difference and tied with 6th, 5th, and 4th.

Seriously bro, get a grip.

Last edited:

rotherham_red

Evra and his angle are endearing and all, but they're both right. It's not a binary thing.

Ignoring the context; no preseason, terrible start, late signings, etc... Is unfair, despite the disappointment in the game. It's also worth crediting the opposition. They're another big team that came desperately trying to fix their defence, and doing very well at it. We still almost made the difference, in an empty stadium in the p*ssing rain. Peak Evra makes good viewing though.

The Dan James related glitch in the matrix (the only truly fair complaint supporting 'playing your best players') is a temporary pestilence. We should forget and move on.

I could see us losing the RBL game and it still not being a disaster in the long run, but many folks will go postal. The main grief seems to be that it's not a high functioning Man Utd machine, but that's entirely the point. It's not, and hasn't been for a good while. Patience.
Absolutely mate. This season especially, will be a race to the bottom as opposed to the top. Whoever is left standing will win. With all these games coming thick and fast, and the highly condensed nature of the league, it's perhaps not a surprise.

HowYouDoin

4-2-3-1 is a horrible setup for this team.
Rashford is better centrally as opposed to being too out wide, Pogba is better as an AM and we just dont have wingers. Even Martial and Greenwood are better centrally.

For whatever the reason we just played to our strengths vs Paris and it showed.
First half 3 at the back then we changed it to 4-2-2-2. We should play those two formations all the time.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
7 points in 5 games. But we're doing bras and he's making big progress apparently
I think some people are forgetting that this is technically his third season and she shouldn't keep hearing arguments about him still "making progress, bigger picture, etc". His football should be established by now and we should see some consistency, not just us still getting there.

He's got a squad full of quality now especially in midfield and his selections are still a joke. His substitutions are sti a joke and often come late.

I'm simply not willing to give Ole more leeways in his third season and keep talking about us getting there.

Instead of looking to climb the table and win a game against a beatable Chelsea, with us coming from 2 great results, especially after the night in Paris, he cowered up and set up to defend because he's too scared to lose at home again.

georgipep

I think some people are forgetting that this is technically his third season and she shouldn't keep hearing arguments about him still "making progress, bigger picture, etc". His football should be established by now and we should see some consistency, not just us still getting there.

He's got a squad full of quality now especially in midfield and his selections are still a joke. His substitutions are sti a joke and often come late.

I'm simply not willing to give Ole more leeways in his third season and keep talking about us getting there.

Instead of looking to climb the table and win a game against a beatable Chelsea, with us coming from 2 great results, especially after the night in Paris, he cowered up and set up to defend because he's too scared to lose at home again.
When you say "beatable Chelsea", do you consider us as "beatable" too? Remember the last game versus Chelsea?

This is not a cup tournament where you go all-in a single game. It was obvious Ole tried to win the game and his subs were all attacking.

What didn't you like about the midfield selection? Would you have preferred starting with Pogba? Or Donny, who we still haven't seen for a full game, especially against a top opponent?

Need I remind you that the coaching staff actually do see all the players every day on the training field and I believe they know a bit better who fits and would do best?

Santoryo

ripping the reward
In case of AWB it means losing the ball because he's clumsy :lol:

Anustart89

:confused:

You mean we should start Lingod instead of James?
Absolutely not. How did you come to that conclusion? I’m saying his output is as poor as a ridiculed player so why the hell is he still getting games? Or are you making some kind of joke that is going over my head?

Odin

We’re 15th in the league, 2 wins in 5 I’d say it’s the opposite the away win in Paris isn’t disguising our league performances.

people raving about the Newcastle game it was 1-1 at 77 minutes, we played a decent 15 minutes and got the win.
Well, we have the Villa game in hand and 6 points up to 1st. 3 points have us at joint 4th. Let's reserve judgement for later, shall we?

Castia

Well, we have the Villa game in hand and 6 points up to 1st. 3 points have us at joint 4th. Let's reserve judgement for later, shall we?
That game in hand isn’t until late January I believe, if the dropping of points continues we won’t be 6 points off first at that point.

But yeah I guess it’s all guesswork we just have to see. Arsenal and Everton the next 2 games we will get a picture of where we‘re at after those 2 imo.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away

Those quotes aside, I'm impressed with the excuses + protection Ole is giving in to cover his weaknesses and players.

Why we lost?
  • No fans to support the players.
  • Fatigue (he gave slight hints about it).
  • Chelsea have good defense and keeper.
  • We lack the "edge".

Sorry but that reeks of not taking responsibility.. then again still no new top class coaches joining his team isn't it..
In public yes, behind the scenes Ole would be giving his team a rolocking

Evra hinted towards this during his debate with Jimmy, Keane has also said similar in the past & there’s plenty of articles out that say Ole isn’t afraid to hold back behind closed doors.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
So Ole outers..... I thought Arteta was the man with a plan and a proper tactician? What happened there then?

Again our inpatient fanbase getting shown up. Ole doesn't deserve this amount of abuse. It's actually pathetic from so called supporters. He delivered 3rd and there's no reason he won't deliver it again given how random this league has become.

He's been let down by Woodward n the Glazers big time. That transfer window, even taking into context covid 19, made no sense at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.