Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AshRK

So Ole outers..... I thought Arteta was the man with a plan and a proper tactician? What happened there then?

Again our inpatient fanbase getting shown up. Ole doesn't deserve this amount of abuse. It's actually pathetic from so called supporters. He delivered 3rd and there's no reason he won't deliver it again given how random this league has become.

He's been let down by Woodward n the Glazers big time. That transfer window, even taking into context covid 19, made no sense at all.
And some were saying he is a top 6 PL manager :lol:

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Ole idsnot learning quick enough. I really hate the 4231 where he uses centre forwads as wingers. He is a hard headed fool. He is not evolving.

crossy1686

career ending
If Jurgen Klopp made a similar comment about the Kop, this place would erupt in laughter and rightly so.
Would it? Why would it? There's nothing wrong with those quotes, and there's probably an element of truth to them. Not sure why you're projecting pretend outrage when those quotes have been out in the wild for a full 24 hours and no one's really give a shit.

crossy1686

career ending
And some were saying he is a top 6 PL manager :lol:
As much as we can shit on Arsenal and Arteta because it's funny, if they back him, in about 5 seasons time they should be competing or at least be a steady top 4 team again. They're absolutely well off the pace and are a top 8 team at best right now. He's not a bad manager, the same as Solskjaer isn't a bad manager, they're just taking over clubs going through the worst period they've ever had in recent history. You can't fix that overnight.

rotherham_red

So Ole outers..... I thought Arteta was the man with a plan and a proper tactician? What happened there then?

Again our inpatient fanbase getting shown up. Ole doesn't deserve this amount of abuse. It's actually pathetic from so called supporters. He delivered 3rd and there's no reason he won't deliver it again given how random this league has become.

He's been let down by Woodward n the Glazers big time. That transfer window, even taking into context covid 19, made no sense at all.
They're absolutely shameless. Don't be expecting any replies to this one mate.

Strelok

Absolutely not. How did you come to that conclusion? I’m saying his output is as poor as a ridiculed player so why the hell is he still getting games? Or are you making some kind of joke that is going over my head?
So in your opinion who has some pace for the counter and should have started over James?

Last edited:

edcunited1878

Didn't have a problem starting James and Mata. Mata got in due to good form from Newcastle. James got in due to tactical reasons.

Cavani played 30 minutes, so that's understandable as he hasn't played in months. Greenwood hasn't played in what seems like weeks and only played about 10 minutes.

You look at the other major European leagues and they have 5 subs off the bench, while England (at the least the PL), only allow 3 subs off the bench.

Ole and staff has rotated much more since the international break than what I remember since Project Restart. Bruno needs a rest and mental break while DVB should come in against RBL midweek. Allow Bruno to come in for a quarter of an hour if necessary. Looking forward to the team selection and match on Wednesday.

PitTon

- Ole's patience with Lingard and Andres makes it less disappointed with his decision with James. And it did make sense when pace is needed there. He gambled and James again didn't deliver. When we have other options, things will be different.

- When I saw Chelsea line up, I was afraid we were about to concede from individuals mistakes, counter, set pieces. Because that has became a trend when we suppose to be favorite, in control but couldn't break the opponents down and start making mistakes. But it didn't happen. The team was solid and CONCENTRATED.

- It is beautiful if we play attacking football but the quality of Chelsea up front players and two WB we got to take into consideration. It would be nice to give VDB his first PL start but with that defensive Chelsea set up and his typical game play, was there any big difference this could make? All I can see is that we could had played a passing game and kept the ball with him Mata and Bruno but is that enough to guarantee a better game both defensively and offensively? Because it then required the full back to go high to support, and with Marcus's roaming around and being only forward we had, was there enough body in the box after all that passing around?

- We had chances and didn't score. We played well defensively with the needed concentration that we lacked in the same situation that in turn cost some goals before. We didn't go in the match with " we just beat PSG, we are at home, we will do everything ( to attack) to win because we surely are on form and will defo win" mind set which was necessary.

Not happy with the draw but atm things could be worse.

Ludens the Red

Again our inpatient fanbase getting shown up.
Ole doesn't deserve this amount of abuse. It's actually pathetic from so called supporters. He delivered 3rd and there's no reason he won't deliver it again given how random this league has become.

:lol:
Make a point about showing patience......

Criticise a manager less than a year into his reign who’s already won a trophy .

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

Not a fan of Arteta but you picked wrong manager to compare with ours. Arteta is there less than a year and already won a trophy. That trophy he won without any signings. This summer he spent around 100mil on players despite the fact that Arsenal's squad is pretty average and needed much much more.

On the other hand, Ole spent 300mil already and he is not backed? How?

AFC NimbleThumb

As much as we can shit on Arsenal and Arteta because it's funny, if they back him, in about 5 seasons time they should be competing or at least be a steady top 4 team again. They're absolutely well off the pace and are a top 8 team at best right now. He's not a bad manager, the same as Solskjaer isn't a bad manager, they're just taking over clubs going through the worst period they've ever had in recent history. You can't fix that overnight.
Really sticking your neck out there.

Give him half a decade & the players he wants then he’ll get you what should be the bear minimum for a club the size of Arsenal. . .

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Not a fan of Arteta but you picked wrong manager to compare with ours. Arteta is there less than a year and already won a trophy. That trophy he won without any signings. This summer he spent around 100mil on players despite the fact that Arsenal's squad is pretty average and needed much much more.

On the other hand, Ole spent 300mil already and he is not backed? How?
Absolute Michael Ballacks.

if Ole lost at home to the foxes you lot would lose it totally. A draw against Chelsea isn't seen as acceptable ffs.

podurban2

Well he lost against Palace and was destroyed by Spurs. What is your point?
C’mon man the Palace game was the first game of the season for us and they had already had theirs. The Spurs game sucked but it happens, we got a red.

If you look at our last fifteen games we have only lost four (Chelsea, Sevilla, Crystal Palace, Spurs) and drawn two.

We were bad vs Chelsea and the tactics were wrong, but a draw wasn’t the worst of results at an empty home stadium. We have all the chances to compete for the top spot this year.

crossy1686

career ending
Really sticking your neck out there.

Give him half a decade & the players he wants then he’ll get you what should be the bear minimum for a club the size of Arsenal. . .
It took Klopp 5 years to return Liverpool to being contenders and they weren’t anywhere near as bad as the current arsenal side is. Also took Pochettino 5 years to get Spurs 3rd and to a CL final.

You think there’s a quick fix? You think Arsenal can simultaneously strengthen themselves and weaken the teams that have overtaken themselves in the last couple of years? It doesn’t matter what people should expect or where a team deserve to be. Nottingham Forrest won back to back European cups, do you think they sit around and talk about the past? People have to be realistic, and wake the feck up to the current situation.

Bestietom

C’mon man the Palace game was the first game of the season for us and they had already had theirs. The Spurs game sucked but it happens, we got a red.

If you look at our last fifteen games we have only lost four (Chelsea, Sevilla, Crystal Palace, Spurs) and drawn two.

We were bad vs Chelsea and the tactics were wrong, but a draw wasn’t the worst of results at an empty home stadium. We have all the chances to compete for the top spot this year.
Like your optimism but I do think we are a few players away from winning the League yet. Yes, there will be many funny results this season without fans and until we get rid of this bloody virus.

rotherham_red

I'm an Ole outer. It doesn't mean that I rate Arteta :lol:. Why are you making these sweeping statements :D ?
Haha come on bro, where in my post did I say it was all Ole outers? "Why are you making these sweeping statements" indeed ;)

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We'd played 1 pre season game before Palace. And that was only half the squad too. They'd played 4 friendlies, 1 league cup game and 1 PL game before that game vs United. They were always going to win that game ffs.

romufc

We'd played 1 pre season game before Palace. And that was only half the squad too. They'd played 4 friendlies, 1 league cup game and 1 PL game before that game vs United. They were always going to win that game ffs.
But that doesn't suit the Ole out narrative. Simple as. Chelsea came to OT after spending £250m to get a draw, we conceded 9 in the games before at home. Ofcourse we were going to go defensive, which manager wouldn't?

I guarantee you, if we went for it and lost 2-0 or something the same fans would be saying, what a naive manager, after conceding so many goals he makes the same mistake again.

Ole can not win.

AshRK

It's not shitting on arteta. Just that I find it funny how some rate him as a top 6 or top 10 Pl manager when the similar people trash Ole. I bet if arteta was our manager and we were playing like this the same people who are bashing Ole on daily basis would bash Arteta too.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Results have been weird in the first few weeks of the season. City beat 5-2 by Leicester, Liverpool beat 7-2 by Villa etc. It's clear no pre-season has had an impact.

SmallCaine

But that doesn't suit the Ole out narrative. Simple as. Chelsea came to OT after spending £250m to get a draw, we conceded 9 in the games before at home. Ofcourse we were going to go defensive, which manager wouldn't?

I guarantee you, if we went for it and lost 2-0 or something the same fans would be saying, what a naive manager, after conceding so many goals he makes the same mistake again.

Ole can not win.
Isn't that the big reason why many are criticizing him?

tomaldinho1

It's not shitting on arteta. Just that I find it funny how some rate him as a top 6 or top 10 Pl manager when the similar people trash Ole. I bet if arteta was our manager and we were playing like this the same people who are bashing Ole on daily basis would bash Arteta too.
I think it's more a case of being able to see what he's trying to do, quite quickly after him coming in rather than people saying he is an amazing manager. Arsenal's team on paper is unbelievably average, they have Auba and some ok players in the team but, in reality, they really are a top 8, maybe even top 10 team now both in terms of spending power and current players.

With that in mind, they have lost to Liverpool, City and Leicester (the latter two by 1 goal) so it's hardly a disasterous start. They beat Sheffield United and WHUM. That's probably the hardest start to a season for any team so far. I don't think Arteta is some messiah of management, nor would I want him at OT but he clearly has a tactical style and ideas on how a team should play that he is being successful with implementing into a team. Whether he will be successful with them is another matter but that tactical evolution and seeing a manager drill his ideas into a team is not something I think we see enough of as United fans, at least not consistently.

rotherham_red

Isn't that the big reason why many are criticizing him?
0-0 against Chelsea is a good result in most contexts. It's frustrating this time only because the game was there for the taking, but if you looked at the positions of both teams and where they currently were, the draw was the better result for us than it was for them.

The hysterics over it are nothing short of pathetic.

What we need to do is ensure we're unbeaten across this run of seven fixtures up to the international break (something like 4 wins and 3 draws - we currently have 2 wins and a draw from the first three of these fixtures).

We do that and we will then have a great foundation to build the rest of the season on as our next fixtures up to the Xmas and New Year period are almost all eminently winnable.

romufc

0-0 against Chelsea is a good result in most contexts. It's frustrating this time only because the game was there for the taking, but if you looked at the positions of both teams and where they currently were, the draw was the better result for us than it was for them.

The hysterics over it are nothing short of pathetic.

What we need to do is ensure we're unbeaten across this run of seven fixtures up to the international break (something like 4 wins and 3 draws - we currently have 2 wins and a draw from the first three of these fixtures).

We do that and we will then have a great foundation to build the rest of the season on as our next fixtures up to the Xmas and New Year period are almost all eminently winnable.
I am glad there are few on here who are not all about knee jerk reactions.

I don't get why fans do not understand this, when you lose 6-1 and 3-1 in consecutive home games, the manager will go defensive to build a base and get confidence in the defence.

When we lost 6-1 to City in 2011, we didnt go into the next few PL games all guns blazing, Fergie changed the team and we won 3 games 1-0 against Everton, Swansea and Sunderland.

It is common sense if you are a manager, go back to basics, don't get run in midfield, defend well then you take it from there.

Lampard has done exactly the same in the last 2 games, two 0-0 results.

Arteta has done the same with Arsenal, sort the defence, build a platform then go from there.

crossy1686

career ending
Yeah I absolutely agree by the way, there will be arsenal fans calling for Allegri now, you can guarantee it. No ones willing to give a manager time and everyone thinks they can say with 100% certainty their opinion on a player or manager is correct after a handful of games.

Arteta gets a pass because he was Pep’s assistant but it means absolutely nothing.

Anustart89

So in your opinion who has some pace for the counter and should have started over James?
Hmm, if I had insisted on a 4-2-3-1, which I wouldn’t, I would’ve gone with Greenwood or Cavani who were both on the bench.

What’s the point in having pace if you can’t do anything with the ball? You’re acting as if km/h directly translates into goals. James hasn’t contributed to a counter-attacking goal in more than a year. If my team was set up to counter-attack and I had one winger spot to allocate, I’d rather give it to a slow player with a quick mind who could pick a pass for a quick player rather than James. Counter-attacking is much more about speed of thought, making the right run at the right time and picking out the pass than raw pace. Otherwise James would’ve had some output. But he doesn’t.

Our best counter-attacking goal last season was scored by Bruno. Hardly a pace merchant, is he?

HowYouDoin

If we didnt play 4-2-3-1 we would actually be very good. It just really doesnt fit most of our best players. We dont have wingers.
I think its important that Ole finally solved the midfield with Fred and McTominay, that is the right thing to do but next thing should be getting rid of 4-2-3-1. We dont have wingers and someone like Rashford is often taken out of games. Greenwood does better cuz hes two footed but he would also benefit from playing more centrally.
And then you also cant play your best players cuz in 4-2-3-1 Pogba and Bruno cant play together.

We always looked good playing with 3 at the back and there's a reason for that but clearly out best formation is 4-2-2-2.

Strelok

Hmm, if I had insisted on a 4-2-3-1, which I wouldn’t, I would’ve gone with Greenwood or Cavani who were both on the bench.

What’s the point in having pace if you can’t do anything with the ball? You’re acting as if km/h directly translates into goals. James hasn’t contributed to a counter-attacking goal in more than a year. If my team was set up to counter-attack and I had one winger spot to allocate, I’d rather give it to a slow player with a quick mind who could pick a pass for a quick player rather than James. Counter-attacking is much more about speed of thought, making the right run at the right time and picking out the pass than raw pace. Otherwise James would’ve had some output. But he doesn’t.

Our best counter-attacking goal last season was scored by Bruno. Hardly a pace merchant, is he?
The idea was to attack the space left behind their defensive line if Chelsea went for the attack as they usually do. So you'd need someone with good pace. Problem is they didn't. They played with a deep line for most of the match.

Greenwood is not a bad option but I think if he's ready to start he would play instead of Mata. And play both Greenwood and Mata mean very little in term of pressing and defensive contribution. You need to think about the balance. James maybe shit when it comes to attack but he does provide work rate, pressing, defensive contribution and pace. And he usually does well if there's space left opened behind the opposition defenders. Cavani is 33 yo and he's never a pacey attacker to begin with. He's more of a poacher type you'd deploy when you dominate and need someone to convert the chances.

Bruno is not a pace merchant for sure but he actually has pretty good pace.

If you read my posts prior to the PSG match you'd see I was heavily criticizing and questioning Ole's tactical choices and line up. But imo his tactical choices and line up selection have been pretty good in the last two matches. We won against PSG when Rashford converted his chance. Not last match when he didn't. However in term of tactical choices and line up I have nothing to criticize Ole. Chelsea created feck all last match and their keeper had a really good day for them to have a point.

AFC NimbleThumb

It took Klopp 5 years to return Liverpool to being contenders and they weren’t anywhere near as bad as the current arsenal side is. Also took Pochettino 5 years to get Spurs 3rd and to a CL final.

You think there’s a quick fix? You think Arsenal can simultaneously strengthen themselves and weaken the teams that have overtaken themselves in the last couple of years? It doesn’t matter what people should expect or where a team deserve to be. Nottingham Forrest won back to back European cups, do you think they sit around and talk about the past? People have to be realistic, and wake the feck up to the current situation.
Using Klopp as a barometer for Arteta is farcical. Realism is the rather blatant fact that not every manager given similar resources & environment will be the success Klopp has been - its as irrelevant as Notts Forest wining a Champions League decades ago. . .

I don’t think there’s a quick fix [I never stated there is] yet I also don’t think giving someone 5 years because ‘Klopp did well & Poch got 3rd with a Final’ is the answer either - you can think both.

Arteta has come in, won a cup & improved the mood around Arsenal; these are all reasons for patience. “It taking Klopp 5 years” is not. Judge Arteta based on his merits, not those of a rather unique manager at another club.

Back to your initial point though; if I gave most decent managers 5 years in charge of a club like Arsenal & the players of their choosing then Top4 wouldn’t be an achievement it’d be a minimal expectation.

matsdf

The people slating us for not beating a "getable" Chelsea, are the same people praising Chelsea for their fantastic transfer window. Bar Ziyech (bench), all of their big name signings played.

I too did not agree with Ole's team selection, but I'd say it's a SAF selection if I ever saw one.

Status
Not open for further replies.