Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Spot on but as long as you run like a headless chicken you‘re going to be in Ole‘s good books.

The way he waxed lyrical about Dan James after his game showed me how low his standards were.
You prefer if he threw him under the bus? We all know James is fairly limited, but he ran his heart out, and its not like working hard is somehow beneath us.

Based on our latest games he absoloutely deserved to start ahead of Martial and he did no worse than any of our other attacking players

Matriac

You prefer if he threw him under the bus? We all know James is fairly limited, but he ran his heart out, and its not like working hard is somehow beneath us.

Based on our latest games he absoloutely deserved to start ahead of Martial and he did no worse than any of our other attacking players
Ole talked about James specifically because the reporter asked why he chose that attacking trio for starting the match.
He was fishing for a quote wanting Ole to say Martial got benched because of playing badly.

Instead Ole answered it by praising the selected players, and in my eyes James had been one of our more active attacking players, running his socks off and stretching the defense when he could.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Lets just be honest, he’s miles off it isn’t he. I know he’s a legend but come on, if we want to move forward we need to stop deluding ourselves & blindly hoping he’ll become a competent manager overnight. He’s not the only problem, but he is a problem, and he is holding us back. If we sacked him he would struggle to get a job in the Premier League, and it sure as shit wouldn’t be a top 10 club. Is he as terrible as his biggest detractors say? No. Does he have any business being United manager? feck no he doesn’t. He’s clearly not good enough, we’re 2nd in spite of him, not because of him. We all need to just start being honest about him.
Needed a laugh this morning, thanks.

second in spite of him, heard it all now

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It doesn't matter what we achieve under Ole then. Everything will be in spite of him. Nice.
Reverse Jose, whatever team wins is because of Jose's masterclass and when the team loses, it's because "team isn't good enough".

Zen86

McTominay screwed up a pass when we were on the break yesterday against Chelsea in the latter part of the game. It was a simple cross field pass when we had 3 players near the box. We didn't create hardly any chances today. So because they are hard working they should play instead of Donny Van De Beek. We are not Newcastle
It’s a good job Bruno isn’t held to the same standards then isn’t it, heaven forbid he should misplace a key pass, or Rashford, or any of the rest of our squad for that matter.

Raven

Reverse Jose, whatever team wins is because of Jose's masterclass and when the team loses, it's because "team isn't good enough".
In fairness, I think Ole does it this way intentionally to deflect pressure from the players. He always builds up the players and the coaching staff in the media but never himself, I think he prefers to take the brunt of it.

roonster09

Scout
In fairness, I think Ole does it this way intentionally to deflect pressure from the players. He always builds up the players and the coaching staff in the media but never himself, I think he prefers to take the brunt of it.
Yeah, but in this case the argument was about this post.

Does he have any business being United manager? feck no he doesn’t. He’s clearly not good enough, we’re 2nd in spite of him, not because of him. We all need to just start being honest about him

Jaxa

Ole is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it's as if people are acting like we are sitting in 8th in the table out of all competitions,

We are 2nd, and I can't help but think back to some of the idiotic mistakes made by players this year that threw us points like in the Sheffield game, Everton game, Arsenal game etc that if we had not made we would be either top or joint top with City right now and that's also having a really crap transfer window and 2 of our main attackers on i think joint 5 goals in the league all season ?

Small margins, this is the best shape we have been in since SAF left and you can tell because we are pasted across media headlines again and rival fans are getting edgy about united, I genuinely believe a solid summer transfer and we will be fighting for the league next year.

Lappen

I think hes got some big b...s playing the way hes playing against top teams. I don't think hes parking the buss like he did before, but I also don't think hes happy the way we performs with a higher press against top teams. But instead of going back to the "parking the buss" he keps on trying with the "high-press". We don't do it well a nough at the moment but whiteout trying we never learn.
With not so good teams you get away with one ore two players not pressing with the rest of the team, but with better teams your weakness in the press hits you hard and the hole teams get pushed back.

The lack of goals is also a big issue (of course). I feel like a lead in a game is bigger for us then most other teams.

It could be instruktion from Ole that for example Rashford and Martial don't need to defend as mutch as Cavani and James. But I don't think so.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Ole is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it's as if people are acting like we are sitting in 8th in the table out of all competitions,

We are 2nd, and I can't help but think back to some of the idiotic mistakes made by players this year that threw us points like in the Sheffield game, Everton game, Arsenal game etc that if we had not made we would be either top or joint top with City right now and that's also having a really crap transfer window and 2 of our main attackers on i think joint 5 goals in the league all season ?

Small margins, this is the best shape we have been in since SAF left and you can tell because we are pasted across media headlines again and rival fans are getting edgy about united, I genuinely believe a solid summer transfer and we will be fighting for the league next year.
Goes both ways, we have also won many games by "small margins" and "idiotic mistakes" which is why we are second.

roonster09

Scout
He says he wants to play attacking football and press high, but he hasn't once played a 433 formation never not once, not even against the weakest sides.. Always 4231, always a double pivot, he probably has no idea how to coach 433.
4-3-3 = Attacking
4-2-3-1 = Defensive

rotherham_red

4-3-3 = Attacking
4-2-3-1 = Defensive
Ignoring the fact that we played a 4-3-3 in his caretaker stint up until we ran out of steam, the 4-2-3-1 is pretty much the same as the 4-3-3, especially the way we play it. Neither Fred nor McTominay are players who have defensive instincts. They are high energy, box to box midfielders. The reason why we play it is because we don't have a proper defensive midfielder here other than Matic who's legs have gone.

UnofficialDevil

Ignoring the fact that we played a 4-3-3 in his caretaker stint up until we ran out of steam, the 4-2-3-1 is pretty much the same as the 4-3-3, especially the way we play it. Neither Fred nor McTominay are players who have defensive instincts. They are high energy, box to box midfielders. The reason why we play it is because we don't have a proper defensive midfielder here other than Matic who's legs have gone.
Then why did he buy van de beek last summer and not a DM?

roonster09

Scout
I haven’t seen any Bayern Munich matches, why do you keep asking me that?
Because they play 4-2-3-1 a lot.

I have lot more questions too, you dodged one already. Is playing 3 CB system defensive too?

Was Jose playing attacking football?

Skåre Willoch

Park is a very talented player who also had an extremely high work rate. James is no where near Park Ji sung.
Obviously not, they even play in different positions.
I was just backing up his statement that we've had squad players who excelled mostly at work rate (and performing well as a specific role player). Park was very much a role player, mainly in Europe.

I loved Park, and still do. He also has the best chant ever?
I don't love James, but I can definitely understand how/why he can be found useful.

UnofficialDevil

Because they play 4-2-3-1 a lot.

I have lot more questions too, you dodged one already. Is playing 3 CB system defensive too?

Was Jose playing attacking football?
Three centre backs in a 5321 playing counter attack is the type football I hate, just like Greece in the Euros.
No Jose wasn’t even though he played 433. But if you want to play fluid attacking football like Ole says you have to able use an attacking 433.

roonster09

Scout
Three centre backs in a 5321 playing counter attack is the type football I hate, just like Greece in the Euros.
No Jose wasn’t even though he played 433. But if you want to play fluid attacking football like Ole says you have to able use an attacking 433.
Not really, you can play attacking football with any formation. Formation has nothing to do with whether team plays attacking or defensive football.

UnofficialDevil

Not really, you can play attacking football with any formation. Formation has nothing to do with whether team plays attacking or defensive football.
Well I disagree. You can play a type of formation more attacking or more defensively obviously, but some formations are more attack orientated than others, one of those is 433.

roonster09

Scout
Well I disagree. You can play a type of formation more attacking or more defensively obviously, but some formations are more attack orientated than others, one of those is 433.
It's not. The team that blew away teams in last season CL played 4-2-3-1 or it's variant.

How attacking the team is depends on who the coach is and how good the players are.

One of the best attacking team in Europe plays 3 at the back, scoring shit loads of goals (Atalanta) and one of the most boring teams in Europe also plays 3 at the back (Wolves).

Coach/manager, his principles, teams quality all matters, not the formation. Replacing Bruno or playing Bruno slightly deeper won't make us more attacking or defensive.

Jonno

These are moral trophies. :lol: No one gives a shit who finished 2nd in a one horse race title. No one will give a shit about the "2nd best team in England" when the gap between the first and second is 12 points. No one gave a shit about this when we finished 2nd 19 points away from City few years ago, and no one cared about City last season when they finished 2nd 18 points away from Liverpool. These only get any kind of importance when you're actually challenging for the league, we're not. It's a one horse race so yeah, 2nd from 4th in this situation doesn't matter except boosting some egos here. Neither us nor Leicester, Chelsea or whatever are challenging City. No one will care for us or them.
No they are factual, financial and phychological improvements. Not trophies, moral or physical. You said there's no difference between finishing 2nd, 3rd and 4th - and there categorically is. Your hatred for Ole being manager is clouding very basic football judgement here. Would you prefer to finish 4th, or 2nd? Ask Brendan Rodgers, Klopp, etc would prefer to finish 2nd or 4th. They'll all answer the same thing. Why? More money, better seeds in European competition over time, a psychological advantage on your opponents, etc, etc, etc. I'm sorry progress hurts you as a fan.

We have lost 5 points against the two teams at the bottom of the league and 2 points against Everton when we were leading 2-0 at half time. Get these 7 points and we would be 5 points away from first spot and a possibility of title challenge would still be on.

It's our responsibility that the gap reached 12 points. We aren't at 12 points gap just because City won 14 games in a row. We're where we're because we fecked up in very easy games. We have ourselves to blame.

United has a good enough squad and team to challenge for the league and we were showing that till we fecked up once we actually found ourselves leading the league.
Are you seriously complaining we've dropped points against some teams this season? I hate to break it to you pal, but every team has dropped points. Every team has had bad results - City included. Ask some Liverpool fans, Leicester fans, Chelsea fans, Spurs fans, Arsenal fans, Wolves fans if they've had some sh!te results against poor opposition.... What's your point? Every team has played well in some games, and sh!te in others, do you know how we keep track of that? With a league table. We're 2nd. This is improvement on last season, and that of the season before. Have you heard of a thing called trajectory?

You sound like a spoilt fan to expect a relatively newly assembled squad that is learning how to walk before they run at the top, which clearly has glaring issues like the need for a CB, DM, RW, another ST to challenge this fantastic City team for the league :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: . We've never been at this City squads level in this era. I hate to break that to you. If you think this squad is at the same level as City, to compete in a title race, you need to stop watching football. Just because City started slowly and we spent a couple of weeks at the top, do you think that means Ole not winning 20 on the bounce is a failure? Do you think United have a squad capable of competing with this City team? Give your head a wobble. This City side has been assembled over 6 years of careful planning and lots of spending power. For the first time post-Fergie, United are finally operating well in the transfer market, bringing quality players to the club, are 2 years in to their re-build and I'm enjoying it. Sorry you're not.

Ask yourself this, what position did you expect to finish at the start of the season? 1st? Did you feck, if you say you did, you're lying. Did you expect us to finish 2nd? Did you feck. So how on earth can you expect us to challenge City now? I expected us to finish 3rd, but I hoped to be closer to City and Liverpool. We're well on track for that. Just because Liverpool have sh!t the bed this season, isn't my problem, we've been better than them, Chelsea, Wolves, Everton, Spurs, etc, etc as it stands & I expect us to finish 2nd or 3rd.

Competing with City at the level they're at requires probably 4-5 years of consistency in some key ares: the same manager, the development of our young players, buying the correct players and completing a serious squad building exercise. Guess what .... we're 2 years in and we've progressed from 6th best to 2nd best. Cheer up, celebrate when we win, don't hope we lose so you can come post more toxic dross on here, and enjoy the ride. We're heading up, the trajectory is positive, we've more points this season than last season, we've a better squad, we're financially able to go buy more players of the correct mould in the summer, and I look forward to it. When we win, I post on here that we're on the correct path. When we draw, or lose, I say, bad result but we're on the correct path. The issue with lots of football fans these days is that they are too short-sighted. You should be celebrating that we've got a club legend who's played and scored so many times for us, managing us and with our best interests at heart - and who is most importantly taking us on an upward trajectory season on season. I'd agree with you if we were 6th, less points, losing every week.

Jaxa

Goes both ways, we have also won many games by "small margins" and "idiotic mistakes" which is why we are second.
Very true, but the table doesn't lie, we are 2nd in the league and if we had strikers who scored goals this season we would probably be top, we are not perfect, neither is Ole, but he gets so much stick in here and very little praise for some of the good he has done, for one, at least we are competing at the top, I know it's a bit of a broken record but i feel next season is where he will really be judged especially if given the players he needs and wants this summer.

Cast5

He says he wants to play attacking football and press high, but he hasn't once played a 433 formation never not once, not even against the weakest sides.. Always 4231, always a double pivot, he probably has no idea how to coach 433.
This is hilarious, Can you explain to me how 433 is attacking and 4231 is defensive? :lol:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Do people actually enjoy our football under him?
SO MUCH better than the football played under LVG and Mourinho.

At least with Ole we try to play the modern way, pressing from the front and trying to take charge in matches.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
SO MUCH better than the football played under LVG and Mourinho.

At least with Ole we try to play the modern way, pressing from the front and trying to take charge in matches.
No we don't. We are a countering attacking team that spent most the season not taking charge in most of our games hence why we found ourselves losing in a lot of matches. Do we press?

I'd say we're marginally better but it's fairly shit and not good enough.

HerbT

Supports
man city fc
Very true, but the table doesn't lie, we are 2nd in the league and if we had strikers who scored goals this season we would probably be top, we are not perfect, neither is Ole, but he gets so much stick in here and very little praise for some of the good he has done, for one, at least we are competing at the top, I know it's a bit of a broken record but i feel next season is where he will really be judged especially if given the players he needs and wants this summer.
I’m in full agreement with this.
After the stability of SAF followed by the disappointing merry-go-round of successors, think a lot of United supporters have become just too critical of whoever’s in the hot seat.
Given his inauspicious track record, I didn’t think Ole would survive a season at a club as big as yours but you’re sat in 2nd spot and on a steadily improving trend.
I suppose that you have the choice to either support your manager as he polishes his abilities or call for his replacement in the hope of getting another proven manager like Moyes, LVG or Mourinho, I know what I’d be doing if I wore a red hat on match days!

As an aside, I think the total lack of patience and consequent pressure from supporters that got Moyes kicked out, was (metaphorically speaking) your supporters shooting themselves in the foot, because he’s still in the game and making big strides with limited resources - all I can add to that is my kindly meant advice to not let that bit of history repeat itself.

Ole might look like a nervous little lost kid in interviews but you should judge him on your results and you’re sat in second.

Status
Not open for further replies.