Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_Scholes18

I see, so you don’t like winning trophy, you prefer us to mess around and underestimating this? It’s not like we are playing against team from farmer league. We are facing team in 8th of La Liga and also in quarter final. I think it’s fair that the manager didn’t underestimate this.
I was talking about the subs. Don't think 15 minutes when 3 goals ahead would be a huge risk.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I was talking about the subs. Don't think 15 minutes when 3 goals ahead would be a huge risk.
Well, he brought on Amad and Brandon with 10 minutes to go and those two were the 4th and 5th subs means no more subs we can make after the 5th. I don’t know why are you still complaining.

Paul_Scholes18

Well, he brought on Amad and Brandon with 10 minutes to go and those two were the 4th and 5th subs means no more subs we can make after the 5th. I don’t know why are you still complaining.
Thought Shoretire or Elanga could have got some minutes.

Do not think we needed to use Mata.

arthurka

Didn't Mata lose his mother or something like that, think it is understandable that you want to give him something to think about other than that to be fair. I have missed the sight of him to be fair.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Mata had just lost his mother. This is a nice gesture from the manager to give the guy some minutes of playing time. Of course we need him, especially the fact that he was replacing Bruno. Like for like replacement as both are creative player.

Anything else negative you want to add? :lol:

Paul_Scholes18

Didn't Mata lose his mother or something like that, think it is understandable that you want to give him something to think about other than that to be fair. I have missed the sight of him to be fair.
Did not know that and yes he could need some minutes if we want to use him. Can see him play in the league if we need goals or just near the end.

Still it was a great moment to give younger players some gametime I think. Hopefully though once top 4 is secured 100% we will rest players in the league and give the youngesters games.

Grande

How dead it is here? Noone saying anything about him for this game?

I think he could have given our younger players more minutes though, but I can understand giving it to the more experienced players too.
Your definition of ‘life’ is ‘always complaining, particularily when we’re winning’? Call in the Existentialists ;)

Ole obviously likes youth, as his record shows, but he also believes in meritocracy when it comes to elite football. He watches trainings and minutes in games and judges that James is ahead of Mata who is ahead of Amad who is ahead of Elanga, and so it is.

rotherham_red

Keeps on churning out the results and right now that is the aim of the game. To do this with literally no break since September and barely a month since June, is seriously impressive. I love that he wants to win every game til the end of the season, even if I think it's ultimately unrealistic, but to have that intent will go a long way in getting us there or thereabouts next season. He knows how important it is to have that momentum to carry us through into next year.

My worry though, is that will the board have this same motivation? Will they get him the targets he desperately needs and needed last year? If they even get half of them, we should see a good amount of improvement.

The_Midfielder

We have come a long way in the last 2 seasons.. I remember we made these kind of games pretty difficult ...Last time when we won the Europ ..didn't Rashford bail us out around the 115th minute, and some player missed the last kick that would have kicked us out ..

Games like these look pretty routine nowadays

big rons sovereign

Those tweets are getting the same brainless responses you'll find on here.
"What's he won?"
"Style of play"
"Should've played the youth"

Also moaning that we didn't smash Granada last night whilst failing to notice that Granada don't play football, they have the game stopped every 30 seconds making it impossible to string passes together.
They had a free kick inside 5 seconds of the kick off.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Those tweets are getting the same brainless responses you'll find on here.
"What's he won?"
"Style of play"
"Should've played the youth"

Also moaning that we didn't smash Granada last night whilst failing to notice that Granada don't play football, they have the game stopped every 30 seconds making it impossible to string passes together.
They had a free kick inside 5 seconds of the kick off.
He's doing a very good job as things stand and deserves credit. It's fine having doubts about him, but it's also fine to admit that he's done a good job thus far.

troylocker

Progress/Improvement with Ole:

2018/19 (28 matches all tournaments, 15W, 4D, 9L) Winrate: 53,57% and avg. 1,75 points/game

2019/20 (61 matches all tournaments, 34W, 15D, 12L) Winrate: 55,74% and avg. 1,92 points/game

2020/21 (51 matches all tournaments, 31W, 11D, 9L) Winrate: 60,78% and avg. 2,04 points/game

It's really hard to argue against these numbers. We are heading in the right direction.

Last edited:

Mr Smith

He's doing a very good job as things stand and deserves credit. It's fine having doubts about him, but it's also fine to admit that he's done a good job thus far.
A balanced and reasonable opinion on Ole? In this thread? :nono:

Paul_Scholes18

I would not call it a very good job in terms of trophies and not in terms of style of play. Overall our league season is fine overall. We started poorly then had a good run, then a poor run and then a good run again. Last year we started poorly, then improved a bit, then had a poor spell before we ended the season extremly well in the league.

Although we can still win the league and Europa league so if we would get one of these titles then the season would be very good.

Kyonn

I can't believe there are still so many "Ole outers". This is the most fun I've had following United since SAF last season. I'm starting to think some people just want to complain no matter what.

Withnail

Progress/Improvement with Ole:

2018/19 (28 matches all tournaments, 15W, 4D, 9L) Winrate: 53,57% and avg. 1,75 points/game

2019/20 (61 matches all tournaments, 34W, 15D, 12L) Winrate: 55,74% and avg. 1,92 points/game

2020/21 (51 matches all tournaments, 31W, 11D, 9L) Winrate: 60,78% and avg. 2,04 points/game

It's really hard to argue against these numbers. We are heading in the right direction.
I'll just have to show this post to anyone banging on about false dawns in future.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
38 games last season 66 points.
32 played this season 66 points.

Progress?
Yes I feel we've progressed under Ole, not quite to the level of a title winning side but much better than when he came in and better than the side that finished 2nd under Mourinho.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Resting Marcus paying off, also good timing to unleash Cavani and finally some minutes for VdB when he can do something for the team.

Many things clicked today because of decisions.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Had the game ended 1-1, this thread was going to explode.
Ole is doing a great job, best manager since SAF.

Irwin99

Thanks. Fair enough, it's not a nice position for him to be and I bet every manager of the 'big six' involved feels the same.

lysglimt

Scout
There can't be a single manager who is for this stupid new competition. But if they slaughter it in public, they will be without a job on monday. Someone like Klopp must hate it.

142 games as manager. 57.04% won. (Sir Alex had a 59,67% winning record, for reference.)
First 71 games: 52% won
Last 71 games: 60,5 % won

That is what progress looks like.

Paul_Scholes18

We played really well in the second half. The only complains is that he might need half time to get things right.

5 wins in a row now. The break did us good I think.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He is a very flexible manager but its obvious that he needs a big tanky central striker at his disposal to atleast rotate centrally in matches.

lysglimt

Scout
Sometime at the end of the first season in charge (or possibly after it ended) - OGS said he would make United the team with the best fitness. Of our last 14 goals - 12 have been in the second half, and 7 of those 12 have been scored after the 60th minute. So 50% of our goals now are being scored in the last 30 mins of the game

I guess it was another area where OGS was right - we quite possibly are the team with the best fitness now.

always_hoping

Sometime at the end of the first season in charge (or possibly after it ended) - OGS said he would make United the team with the best fitness. Of our last 14 goals - 12 have been in the second half, and 7 of those 12 have been scored after the 60th minute. So 50% of our goals now are being scored in the last 30 mins of the game

I guess it was another area where OGS was right - we quite possibly are the team with the best fitness now.
On the fitness, Ole brought in Michael Clegg, Ed Leng shrewd appointments thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.