Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Withnail

My experience working at an online newspaper. Never had such a hands on editor, though I'm sure there must be some such. If you're getting stitched up like that constantly though, you should resign.

All of that's beside the point. The self correct mechanism online is such that it doesn't take more than three minutes for someone to correct what you wrote if you've made a typo (by complaining in the comment section). I can't imagine it's any different for a blog. He's got friends, people who read what he wrote. At least get the lead right, and you have hours to correct it even if you fail at first. It's just poor form. There's no excuse, he should be lashed publicly.
Well, I haven't worked at a newspaper so fair enough.

But I'm talking about mainstream newspapers like the Irish times and the Guardian etc ... My understanding is that is how it is done and historically has been the case going back years.

Maybe in newer publications or exclusively online papers, it's done differently.

Irwin99

Personally I support the protests as something far bigger than one match or even a season but I do actually feel a bit for him as he's gonna be put in yet another tight spot when it comes to the inevitable interview. The way he was thrown under the bus with the super league announcement was nothing short of disgraceful.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Personally I support the protests as something far bigger than one match or even a season but I do actually feel a bit for him as he's gonna be put in yet another tight spot when it comes to the inevitable interview. The way he was thrown under the bus with the super league announcement was nothing short of disgraceful.
He will just say we need to listen to the fans, but it needs to be done peacefully. What he shouldn't repeat is that the Glazers love the club.

Last edited:

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
He will just say we need to listen to the fans, but it needs to be done peacefully. What he shouldn't repeat is that the Glazers love the club.
We're not really in any position to demand what he says or doesn't. He has an obligation to be loyal to his employer, like the players do. It's the fans who have the luxury of being negative towards the club and its ownership.

UnofficialDevil

We're not really in any position to demand what he says or doesn't. He has an obligation to be loyal to his employer, like the players do. It's the fans who have the luxury of being negative towards the club and its ownership.
He can still do that without saying Joe Glazer loves Manchester United.
Also seeing as you mention the obligation the players have, they posted and tweeted against the Super League while it was still in full force.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
He can still do that without saying Joe Glazer loves Manchester United.
Also seeing as you mention the obligation the players have, they posted and tweeted against the Super League while it was still in full force.
1) He was reported to have said that to the group of fans that stormed the AON training complex. It's not an official statement he's made or something that's been mentioned in an interview. So right now, that is at best hearsay, and at worst his impressoin after having had actual conversatoins with the Glazers.

2. Being against the Super League is not slandering the club. It's protecting the sport itself. No one disagrees that is something they had every right to do. Even Ole was very vocally against the Super League when he finally had a press conference to adress the issue.

It will never stop being weird to me the way we keep looking for people to attack, instead of focusing on who we should be focusing on.

UnofficialDevil

1) He was reported to have said that to the group of fans that stormed the AON training complex. It's not an official statement he's made or something that's been mentioned in an interview. So right now, that is at best hearsay, and at worst his impressoin after having had actual conversatoins with the Glazers.

2. Being against the Super League is not slandering the club. It's protecting the sport itself. No one disagrees that is something they had every right to do. Even Ole was very vocally against the Super League when he finally had a press conference to adress the issue.

It will never stop being weird to me the way we keep looking for people to attack, instead of focusing on who we should be focusing on.
It’s not hearsay, he did tell the fans at Old Trafford that Joe Glazer loves the club.Yes you are correct I miss read what you said, the players posted against the Super League not the ownership my bad. I don’t think Ole would have gone vocally against the Super League if his presser occurred before the clubs pulled out to be honest.
It’s all very easy to speak against it when all the clubs including your own have pulled out admitted the mistake and apologised, it would have been a very uncomfortable presser if we had a game to play a day before.

rotherham_red

Van Gaal was the one with an idea of how we should play football. You can disagree with the idea but at least he had one.

Jose obviously won the most trophies.

Ole so far gets the trophy for creating the most harmonious dressing room. Not to diminish that accomplishment but he needs to win something or show us how this team plays cause at times I simply cannot tell.
This reads more like a you problem than an Ole problem

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
You have to be joking? You were calling for his resignation a week ago in protest against the Glazers for the ESL. You're only saying this because we all know he'll defend the Glazers again.

rotherham_red

It’s not hearsay, he did tell the fans at Old Trafford that Joe Glazer loves the club.Yes you are correct I miss read what you said, the players posted against the Super League not the ownership my bad. I don’t think Ole would have gone vocally against the Super League if his presser occurred before the clubs pulled out to be honest.
It’s all very easy to speak against it when all the clubs including your own have pulled out admitted the mistake and apologised, it would have been a very uncomfortable presser if we had a game to play a day before.
Literally no manager spoke out against their owners. Klopp said that FSG were good people, Pep said it was an honour to represent his club and owners, Arteta was so non-committal on the Elk takeover talk and so defensive of the Kroenkes that you'd have been forgiven that he had a stake in Arsenal too.

He's going to toe the line and he'll give due respect to the fans and their rights to protest. Which is about as much anyone will expect him to do in the circumstances.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
You have to be joking? You were calling for his resignation a week ago in protest against the Glazers for the ESL. You're only saying this because we all know he'll defend the Glazers again.
Fairly sure the comment I made was that I would be happy if he resigned if this league actually happened. It didn't so it's a bit pointless now. I also said that I would be fine with heavy point deductions and even relegation. All well considered thoughts not at all part of heat of the moment.

Again, considering that most seemed to be happy/fine with the statements made during the press conference, the continious support for the fans voice, actually bothering to meet hte protesting fans at Carrington and engaging with them in conversation that lasted a reported 10 minutes - and somehow the only noteworthy thing someone takes from that is Ole saying that "Joel loves the club". Really, 10 minutes of conversation and that's all that was mentioned?

We're looking for people to criticize when they should not even be mentioned in the discussion of people to go after.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
He has to win the EL to be so. This is a result based industry. He certainly plays the most attractive football after SAF. Best? Not yet.
You need to chill. Sometimes it's the journey that teaches you a lot about your destination.

Real Name

Some just want to see him down and gone no matter what. Its all so so sad. There are even some posts predicting the future in the sense he will defend the Glazers again. So if there isn't something in the present to have a pop at him there will certainly be something in the future.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Apparently that was completely made up and he never said the line about Joel loving the club. Where are you basing that from?

MinGin

Give out some prove that it was not alleged to be a hearsay. And do you have the whole speech what he actually said. He is a one who like to play trick on the art of language.
That is a Big IF about "You think or You don't think", the fact is that he said that in the interview against the Super League already. Well, he got luck/unluck when he spoke out his opinion at that moment at that situation.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

1. The conversation took part outside the Aon Training Complex, not Old Trafford. Ole, Nemanja Matic and Michael Carrick I think it was came out and met the small group of fans that had made entry into the grounds. This was a small group of people, and the mananger and staff took the time to greet them and engage with them in conversation for 10 minutes. You can fit a lot of conversation in a 10 minute window, yet the only thing thats been relayed was "Ole said Joel loves the club" from a obscure twitter account. This line of events was refuted by another obscure twitter account that claim to have spoken with someone from the club who was present. So who knows. But more importantly: This is not a problem of the managers making. He is not responsible for anything here. If anything, credit for meeting the fans face to face, surely?

2. "It’s all very easy to speak against it when all the clubs including your own have pulled out admitted the mistake and apologised" - So when do you suggest he should have come out and said something? On his social media accounts? He has none. During his pre-match press conference? He had none. Should he have called a press conference? No other manager did that.

Obviously, his response to the inevitable question was well rehearsed, as he should. You don't walk into arguably the most important press conference during your tenure and just "wing it". He's put in a situation where he can't win, having a responsibility to the clubs owners as their employee, while being well aware of the fact that he's been very vocal about the support for fans who oppose the Glazers in the past and at the same time being a walking emobiment of the clubs European history. I've yet to see anyone that with a straight face doesn't admit that the press conference was good. The answers were good and exactly what everyone wanted to hear.

This argument that "Well he only did it because x x x x" is so massively unfair and pointless. No one spoke to the media outside of a pre match press conference, and here we are lambasting our own manager for "bieng lucky he didnt have to speak to the press before everyone had pulled out".

Tell me. Exactly how does he come out on top here? Take a dump on Eds car?

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Yeah well he didn't have the chance to speak before we pulled out so we'll never know. It won't stop fans using it as another stick to beat him with though.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Van Gaal was the one with an idea of how we should play football. You can disagree with the idea but at least he had one.

Ole so far gets the trophy for creating the most harmonious dressing room. Not to diminish that accomplishment but he needs to win something or show us how this team plays cause at times I simply cannot tell.
The idea of how Ole wants us to play is high pressing system but not constantly pressing like headless chicken, and our team have used it meticulously well to win the ball and go on quick counter attack. Obviously, high press system requires high line and that's why we often rely on offside trap in our defending. You can see the profile players he signed (Bruno, VDB, Telles, Cavani, James), hard working players and the fact he is so obsessed with McFred and also tends to play Pogba in more advanced role in that front four rather than in midfield compare to other managers who had used him reflects to it.

UnofficialDevil

1. The conversation took part outside the Aon Training Complex, not Old Trafford. Ole, Nemanja Matic and Michael Carrick I think it was came out and met the small group of fans that had made entry into the grounds. This was a small group of people, and the mananger and staff took the time to greet them and engage with them in conversation for 10 minutes. You can fit a lot of conversation in a 10 minute window, yet the only thing thats been relayed was "Ole said Joel loves the club" from a obscure twitter account. This line of events was refuted by another obscure twitter account that claim to have spoken with someone from the club who was present. So who knows. But more importantly: This is not a problem of the managers making. He is not responsible for anything here. If anything, credit for meeting the fans face to face, surely?

2. "It’s all very easy to speak against it when all the clubs including your own have pulled out admitted the mistake and apologised" - So when do you suggest he should have come out and said something? On his social media accounts? He has none. During his pre-match press conference? He had none. Should he have called a press conference? No other manager did that.

Obviously, his response to the inevitable question was well rehearsed, as he should. You don't walk into arguably the most important press conference during your tenure and just "wing it". He's put in a situation where he can't win, having a responsibility to the clubs owners as their employee, while being well aware of the fact that he's been very vocal about the support for fans who oppose the Glazers in the past and at the same time being a walking emobiment of the clubs European history. I've yet to see anyone that with a straight face doesn't admit that the press conference was good. The answers were good and exactly what everyone wanted to hear.

This argument that "Well he only did it because x x x x" is so massively unfair and pointless. No one spoke to the media outside of a pre match press conference, and here we are lambasting our own manager for "bieng lucky he didnt have to speak to the press before everyone had pulled out".

Tell me. Exactly how does he come out on top here? Take a dump on Eds car?
I didn't suggest any of the above, I didn't suggest that he had to do anything.I didn't say the presser wasn't good, it was good. I pointed out that it would have been a very uncomfortable presser if we had a game to play before the super league fell apart. And I very much doubt he would have spoken against the super league while we were still in it.

theklr

That Istanbul loss comes back to haunt me now that we see how much the CL quality have dropped. We could have been in the final and had a fair chance of winning it as well.

Also, «trust the progress» sounds abit hollow when you see how far Tuchel has gotten this Chelsea team already. Yes, they have a better squad than us , but still...

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
That Istanbul loss comes back to haunt me now that we see how much the CL quality have dropped. We could have been in the final and had a fair chance of winning it as well.

Also, «trust the progress» sounds abit hollow when you see how far Tuchel has gotten this Chelsea team already. Yes, they have a better squad than us , but still...
You are comparing Ole arriving into a situation with Lingard, Pereira, Lukaku etc playing key roles to the situation Tuchel arrived in with Havertz, Pulisic, Kante and Werner already in the squad. If you wanted a similar comparison, imagine Ole arriving with Bruno, Cavani and Maguire already in the team.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I think this is the most I've felt optimistic about a United team in eight years. Genuinely think with a good summer of signings and a new contract for Pogba we can challenge next season. We need to finish the season strong by winning the EL and get the monkey off our back.

OleBoiii

I love the team that he's helped to create:
  • British core? Check. Arguably 7 out of 11 players in the starting XI are British, with 6 of them being English.
  • Strong academy presence? Check. Arguably 5 out of 11 players in the starting XI come from the academy.
  • Young team? Check. I believe we have one of the youngest starting XI's in the league. If not the youngest.
  • Lots of exciting comebacks? Check.
  • Lots of goals? Check.
  • Fluid/adaptable team? Check.
  • High intensity and strong mentality? Check.
  • Cool, foreign talisman pulling the strings in attack and completely changing the team with his presence? Check.
It's like pushing the reset button and going back to the early 90's. If we can win major trophies and kick the Glazers out, then we have reached perfection as far as I am concerned.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I love the team that he's helped to create:
  • British core? Check. Arguably 7 out of 11 players in the starting XI are British, with 6 of them being English.
  • Strong academy presence? Check. Arguably 5 out of 11 players in the starting XI come from the academy.
  • Young team? Check. I believe we have one of the youngest starting XI's in the league. If not the youngest.
  • Lots of exciting comebacks? Check.
  • Lots of goals? Check.
  • Fluid/adaptable team? Check.
  • High intensity and strong mentality? Check.
  • Cool, foreign talisman pulling the strings in attack and completely changing the team with his presence? Check.
It's like pushing the reset button and going back to the early 90's. If we can win major trophies and kick the Glazers out, then we have reached perfection as far as I am concerned.
Managed by a united legend! Check.

Karlos PFC

You are comparing Ole arriving into a situation with Lingard, Pereira, Lukaku etc playing key roles to the situation Tuchel arrived in with Havertz, Pulisic, Kante and Werner already in the squad. If you wanted a similar comparison, imagine Ole arriving with Bruno, Cavani and Maguire already in the team.
Havertz, Pulisic and Warner weren't exactly pulling trees when Tuchel went there

romufc

We have seen an improvement in the last couple weeks in terms of football we have played.

One thing that cannot be knocked about Ole is that the players all play for him. When you have big personalities like Pogba to manage and have them on side shows alot about the man management.

He has also said that he doesn't take many training sessions, that is why we have coaches.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
My experience working at an online newspaper. Never had such a hands on editor, though I'm sure there must be some such. If you're getting stitched up like that constantly though, you should resign.
Well, I haven't worked at a newspaper so fair enough.

But I'm talking about mainstream newspapers like the Irish times and the Guardian etc ... My understanding is that is how it is done and historically has been the case going back years.

Maybe in newer publications or exclusively online papers, it's done differently.
More than 25 years experience of working in news. For main stream papers and publications, editors tend not to write headlines except for the front page or something special, even then that's quite often done in meetings depending on your editor. Sub editors generally write headlines and can in some cases change copy quite drastically, people fight over it sometimes but I've certainly never heard of anyone resigning. Sub editors are where the power lies!

Strelok

This is just completely ignorance tbh.

All coaches/managers, even the worst have an idea of how his team should play. Problem is:

1. The idea is right?

2. The idea is suited to the players currently available to him? Or can he find/afford the suitable ones?

LVG clearly fecked up both. Jose as well. Ole is the only one so far got both right.

Robbie Boy

We'll be heading for a title challenge next season. Ole has improved so much as a manager since coming in and he's moulded a very good team, with a strong squad. With some shrewd acquisitions and some promotions from the youth teams, we'll be a damn good force next season.

All that on top of a solid second place finish and probable EL win and it's all very exciting.

b82REZ

We'll be heading for a title challenge next season. Ole has improved so much as a manager since coming in and he's moulded a very good team, with a strong squad. With some shrewd acquisitions and some promotions from the youth teams, we'll be a damn good force next season.

All that on top of a solid second place finish and probable EL win and it's all very exciting.
Agreed.

Has done a very good job and seems to have added consistency.

He has no place to hide next year though. This season has proved we have the players to mount a challenge and I fully expect with the experience of this season we will push City much closer. We cannot afford to be dropping silly points, if Ole can learn to grind out those results (something he's shown great improvement on this season) he will win the league with us.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
He had all three at the start of this season along with a year and a half in the job before that and he got knocked out of the group stage.

lysglimt

Scout
How can Ole be the better manager because he rebuilt the club? He's rebuilt the club and yet Mourinho's achievement outweighs his. This is not an argument you can easily win. And I'm sure nobody that says Mourinho is better wants him back here over Ole.

Ole has built the better squad and better play style but Mourinho has achieved more. So as of now anybody saying Mou or Ole is better is subjective. It becomes fact in Ole's favour if we win the EL
A manager should not only be judged on the highs - he should also be judged on the lows. If OGS won the league this year, and got us relegated next year, he would be remembered as a flop regardless. Yes Mourinho won the Europa League (and the League Cup)- and few will remember that we didn't meet a single good side in that tournament. I would go so far as to say we have played at least 5 teams in Europa this year, that are better than the best we played that season. But Mourinho ripped the team to shreds and ruined our economy in the process - and that in my opinion outweighs in a negative sense, his 2 trophies.

rotherham_red

Tuchel had the benefit of having a squad which was furnished with £250m of additions. Remind me, what did we have again? How many genuine first teamers did we buy? And lest we forget, we finished on equal points last season. For Ole to have us where we are after no preseason, a horrendous start and a heavily compacted season, is fantastic. Yes the CL was disappointing, and criticism is due for it, but our group was a bloody difficult one compared almost all the others and at the outset most would have had us finishing third.

rotherham_red

Havertz, Pulisic and Warner weren't exactly pulling trees when Tuchel went there
Yes, because they had a novice managing them and let's not forget that they weren't exactly pulling up trees for Tuchel until the last couple of weeks either.

Status
Not open for further replies.