Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Anderlecht in the quarters when we needed extra time to get through. Rostov in the Last 16 when we won 2:1 after two legs. It was tough watching.
Painful wasn’t it, right from the start when we couldn’t even win the group. Relying on hoofs up to Fellaini, squeaking past Celta Vigo...I think the final was actually the most comfortable of the lot!

2 man midfield

Not to mention it was probably the easiest draw of modern european cup history - we didn't play a single good side the entire competition. Even Ajax in the final was a case of men against boys. They had some decent players and a bunch of 18-19 year old supertalents who weren't quite ready for it.
We’re such a better side now it isn’t even close. Just watching that cup run alone should turn even the biggest Ole outer into a fan.

Shark

@NotShark
We’re such a better side now it isn’t even close. Just watching that cup run alone should turn even the biggest Ole outer into a fan.
Are we a better side or would one injury to Bruno send us back to the level we were at before he arrived. I'm really not so sure. There's still far too much reliance over individual brilliance rather than truly great performances for me.

justsomebloke

Yeah, so he basically achieved Mourinho's best result in a cup competition and Mourinho's best result in the league in the same season. Our best season since 2013 by a large margin.
Also, the first two consecutive top4 seasons since Ferguson left.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I don't really think a micro analysis is required after every result tbh.

As posted at the end of last season - I wanted to see progress in the following areas: A comfortable top four finish, a cup win or a place in a final and an improvement in our playing style. I feel those were all very fair metrics to judge him on, and he's achieved all of that. It's been a pretty good season overall bar the odd expected hiccup here-and-there. The biggest disappointment for me is our CL exit and no amount of excuses can gloss that over. I feel he's made more strides as a manager and I really feel we're ready for a title push next season.
Yeah the Leipzig game is the only one I feel really bad about this season because we went needlessly cautious there, it was clear we wouldn't have been able to keep them scoreless and setting up with 5 defenders was asking for a disaster. That was a clear tactical error by Ole. He hasn't repeated that in all our EL games after that so hopefully he's learned a lesson there.

Ole needs to win the Treble with Smalling in defense, Lingard and Pereira in mid as well as players that don't want to play for the club. That is what great managers have done.

What world class players did SAF ever had? Mourinho? Pep has always elevated mediocre players to WC ones, just look at his time at Barca. Who now remembers names like Xavi or Iniesta or Messi or Busquets.

Point I'm trying to make is that to judge a manager based on the players that he has is wrong. Being a manager is being magic. Patterns of play. Carl Anka.

Sorry for the long rant but I really get annoyed by the idea that player quality is relevant to team success.
:lol: :lol:

2 man midfield

Are we a better side or would one injury to Bruno send us back to the level we were at before he arrived. I'm really not so sure.
I think we are. Bruno is a big reason for our progression and an injury to him would hurt us, but any team would miss their most productive player. Look back to the teams we fielded back then: Romero, Smalling, Rojo, Young, Darmian, Fellaini, Lingard. It wasn’t pretty. The dressing room was rotten, full of deadwood and everyone appeared as if they hated being here. Ole turned all of that round, shipped out the twats and got everybody pulling in the same direction. His man management is so much better than Jose’s, or at least a better fit for us. Even if you take Bruno out for a few games, the culture that he’s instilled runs through the team regardless.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I'm still waiting for regular, convincing team performances. Not just results. Still feels like the quality of some of our players bails us out regularly. That's what frustrates me. It feels like an injury to Bruno would have us seriously derailed. I can't see us competing or even finishing 2nd next season if other teams find their usual form and our general performances don't improve.
Oh, the ol’ teams around us were cr*p this year excuse.

Were they cr*p last year too?

What if we do get second or better next year? Would they be cr*p again or are we seeing a pattern emerge and United are actually you know good again?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Are we a better side or would one injury to Bruno send us back to the level we were at before he arrived. I'm really not so sure. There's still far too much reliance over individual brilliance rather than truly great performances for me.
Shaw is more a creator than we had over the last decade.

Pogba is playing like a boss at LCM/LaM type positions.

Cavani is great.

We have addressed our Goalkeeper sticking on the line issue.

Greenwood is a quality youngster making progress.

I think we rely on Bruno less, but he is our creator so he is important.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
If ending 3rd and 2nd in a highly competitive P.L is mediocre - then you agree that every other manager apart from Guardiola has been awful and should be fired ?
Different teams have different standards of course. In the time Ole has been here Chelsea and spurs have sacked their managers n arsenal look set to follow. The only big six managers safe are those that have won the league recently. I suggest we keep those high standards ourselves. I'm not even saying I'd sack Ole right now but I would definitely not extend his contract. Let's see what happens next year then decide. The club has all the bargaining power in that relationship.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Does that invalidate anything I've said?

Could he have replaced them all by now?
Of course by not giving them new contracts he would accelerate them leaving or being replaced or do you divorce the manager from such decisions

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
He’s been far less smiley recently. Not sure if it’s the ESL fallout or the fact he knows the squad is ready to challenge with a good summer and this is his game face.
He definitely needs backing. It is down to the owners now. Think Ole has done the best he can with what he has. Just needs the EL trophy and hopefully a bit of credit for it.

Irwin99

Nice response from his presser. He's got the squad to cope with it but it doesn't hurt to have a go at the ridiculous scheduling.

I think people are wanting to turn this into an Ole vs Jose thing with the Europa league and 2nd place finish and whilst I'd choose Ole there's probably not much in the achievements. Jose was sacked the following season following an FA cup final and a second place finish.

We're some way from where we want to be but the signs are looking much better. So much depends on the summer though and how much our beloved owners are willing to put in to take the club to the next step.

Withnail

Of course by not giving them new contracts he would accelerate them leaving or being replaced or do you divorce the manager from such decisions
Not entirely. It's not his decision alone.

My point is he couldn't really have turned over the squad much quicker so it's a case of priorities, isn't it?

And just because they aren't considered all that useful now it doesn't mean they weren't in the past in the case of Matic or can't be in the future in the case of Tuanzebe/Bailly so you're dig at the manager doesn't really fit into what I was saying in any logical fashion.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Really good press conference, not crying about the fixture list, but also stating there will be 2 11’s essentially.

romufc

Or even worse, if we had lost by four and actually been knocked out ;)

Ole was right to pick a strong line-up yesterday, but I felt he was naive to change both full-backs at half-time. And I think there is a larger point about him playing the same players all the time. I refuse to believe Telles and VDB are really as bad as their performances yesterday, but it is understandable that they are rusty given how little they play. I think he could probably get more out of the squad if he spread the playing time around a little more. In the end the results are good though, so can't really complain too much.
I disagree here.

Telles has been given chances, he hasn't taken then, on numerous times where he has started and has to be substituted because we have struggled.

I mean with Donny, it is clear he can only play as the CAM in his formation, which manager in their right mind is going to drop Bruno? I mean when he tries to, we fail. Look at Leicester quarter final, bruno on the bench and Donny did nothing.

bsCallout

In Europe we've beat AC Milan, PSG, Leipzig, Roma, Sociedad & Granada.

Although we've only ended up with a EL final we've had a good European campaign this season.

Watford, Liverpool, West Ham in the FA cup.

If we end up second in the league I struggle to see how we've not had a good campaign.

On top of all this we seem to have a happy squad that all seem to be playing for the players next to them. I mean they actually all celebrate together, rarely seemed to happen under Jose.

Big window this summer but next season will be exciting.

Last edited:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Different teams have different standards of course. In the time Ole has been here Chelsea and spurs have sacked their managers n arsenal look set to follow. The only big six managers safe are those that have won the league recently. I suggest we keep those high standards ourselves. I'm not even saying I'd sack Ole right now but I would definitely not extend his contract. Let's see what happens next year then decide. The club has all the bargaining power in that relationship.
To be fair, since Bruno came we've been bloody great in the league. We've only lost 4 league games. Jose, Lampard and probably Arteta will be binned because they were losing way too many games. Ole has managed 37 league games more than Arteta and he's got 1 less loss (17) than Arteta has already managed (18). The same was true of Lampard and the same was true of Jose. If we do win the Europa Cup, Ole deserves his contract extended and he deserves the club backing him.

Fletchageddon

Can't believe there are still Ole Out-ers after consolidating on last season. The players are happier, the football is better and the league position is higher. What more can you ask for?

This next week will be absolutely crazy and anyone who jumps on him for any results should be banned from this forum. The fixture list is unprecedented and no other manager in the league is facing it.

Zen86

Tell me a manager who doesn’t rely on his players. And don’t say Pep.

romufc

We must be the only fan base that moans about individually brilliant players.

Do you think barca fans moan saying without Messi they wouldnt have won all those CL
Do you think Real fans moaned when Ronaldo won them 3 CL in a row?

Burnely, Leeds are teams who put great performances, why are they not in the top 4 or winning the leage? Dont say they dont have teams above them have better individuals.

I also didn't realise that being defensively good is based on individual brilliance rather than good team performance.

Raven

He's done such an impressive job under such tough circumstances this season. This next run of games feels like a boss level in a game, going to be insanely difficult. I'm hoping we come out the other side with 6 or 7 points but even that is a tough ask.

On a more positive note, it'll be good to see some of the other lads get a run out. Hopefully it's a case of right place, right time for some of them and they can make a case for more first team involvement.

rotherham_red

Does a 2nd place finish have a different implication for the Champions League next year than 3rd?

Or is it all based on coefficients and so we’re guaranteed to be seeded 2nd in the group stages regardless?
If we win the EL, no as we would be in the first seed as EL winners regardless of league form.

If we don't win the EL, then it would place us in the 2nd seed, Get 3rd, and then we're in the 3rd seeding.

AgentSmith

If we win the EL, no as we would be in the first seed as EL winners regardless of league form.

If we don't win the EL, then it would place us in the 2nd seed, Get 3rd, and then we're in the 3rd seeding.
I looked it up earlier to answer my own question and you’re right about the Europa League but not about the seeding I don’t think.

Pot 1 consists of the previous season‘s Champions League winners, Europa League winners, and the 6 biggest domestic league winners. Pots 2-4 are then formed based on the club’s coefficient ranking which is determined by UEFA.

It’s why City, United, and Chelsea were all in Pot 2 for this year’s group stages despite us finishing 3rd and Chelsea finishing 4th last season.

So in essence it makes little difference to us if we finish in front of Leicester or behind. But it does seem like a crock of shite that Leicester could pip us to 2nd and then still end up in Pot 3 while we’re safe in Pot 2.

(Unless I’ve horribly misinterpreted the coefficient explanation on Uefa’s website).

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
To be fair, since Bruno came we've been bloody great in the league. We've only lost 4 league games. Jose, Lampard and probably Arteta will be binned because they were losing way too many games. Ole has managed 37 league games more than Arteta and he's got 1 less loss (17) than Arteta has already managed (18). The same was true of Lampard and the same was true of Jose. If we do win the Europa Cup, Ole deserves his contract extended and he deserves the club backing him.
He will definitely deserve the latter, I wouldn't personally extend his contract until i see how next season pans out but you're free to disagree. He has done well in the league i agree but that we had a bad run when the stakes were highest worries me. Give him Sancho and a dm this summer and lets see what he can do.

big rons sovereign

In Europe we've beat AC Milan, PSG, Leipzig, Roma, Sociedad & Granada.

Although we've only ended up with a EL final we've had a good European campaign this season.

Watford, Liverpool, West Ham in the FA cup.

If we end up second in the league I struggle to see how we've not had a good campaign.

On top of all this we seem to have a happy squad that all seem to be playing for the players next to them. I mean they actually all celebrate together, rarely seemed to happen under Ole.

Big window this summer but next season will be exciting.
Also spanked city at the emptihad. Again.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If one reads this thread, it's tough to imagine an online fanbase as entitled as ours. I always felt Arsenal fan base under Wenger was the most spoilt and entitled bunch, but it seems I was bloody wrong then.

As far as EL or bust is concerned, people really need to understand that cup competitions rarely, if ever, have proven to be a good enough barometer for progress. That has, and will always be the league.

Winning EL would not mean we suddenly are progressing, and neither would losing it signify we aren't. Of course it'd be a shit end as we've been awesome this season, but cup wins aren't something one should lose their sleep over especially when we're in a state of transition and are building up for long term success. Example - Pool 2005 CL win meant nothing as they weren't close to winning the league in the next season or the one after that; Chelsea in the season they won CL proved nothing the following season as well.

Of course, sometimes a cup win can act as a trigger to achieve greater success, but in every/most such case(s), one would notice that the team's league form would have been inspiring as well.

Matriac

If one reads this thread, it's tough to imagine an online fanbase as entitled as ours. I always felt Arsenal fan base under Wenger was the most spoilt and entitled bunch, but it seems I was bloody wrong then.

As far as EL or bust is concerned, people really need to understand that cup competitions rarely, if ever, have proven to be a good enough barometer for progress. That has, and will always be the league.

Winning EL would not mean we suddenly are progressing, and neither would losing it signify we aren't. Of course it'd be a shit end as we've been awesome this season, but cup wins aren't something one should lose their sleep over especially when we're in a state of transition and are building up for long term success. Example - Pool 2005 CL win meant nothing as they weren't close to winning the league in the next season or the one after that; Chelsea in the season they won CL proved nothing the following season as well.

Of course, sometimes a cup win can act as a trigger to achieve greater success, but in every/most such case(s), one would notice that the team's league form would have been inspiring as well.
Definitely agree. Winning or losing a final should not determine whether a manager is fired, nor if his contract is extended.

In Ole's case now his contract will be extended no matter what happens at this point.

Starting next season with the manager on a contract ending in less than a year is bad optics both in regards to (re)signing players so they know what the plan going forward is before they commit the next years of their lives, as well as for the stock market, especially in a year where we will have a new CEO, we need to show stability and that there's a longterm plan to get everyone from fans to players and sponsors beliving in the vision.
Of course if for some (unlikely) reason next season is a catastrophe they'll likely fire him, a new contract won't stop that. I know i.e. Roma now has their manager separation easily done as his contract is simply not renewed this summer, but that is just not how we can do it at a club of United's stature with all the constraints in mind.

As for my personal opinion, I think Ole's doing a great job with the resources afforded to him. Better than expected at this point (I thought Top 4 this year would be more of a slog). And I hope the board realizes that and helps him take the next step this summer, as I truly believe he's got what it takes to take us back to the top.

Robbie Boy

:lol:

Funniest thing is this: We win it and the 'ins' will be running wild telling everyone this is progress while the outs will say it's 'only a tin pot cup'.

We lose and the 'ins' will say that it doesn't matter it was the 'only a tin pot cup' while the outs will use it as a stick to beat Ole with.

I already know the posters from both sides who are setting the wheels in motion for either scenario. For me, I said at the start of the season that part of progression would be reaching a cup final/winning it - just reaching the final is mission accomplished and losing a one-off final can happen.

In saying that, I would obviously be disappointed if we don't win it. I feel it'll be a great platform to build upon, and my belief is that success breeds a successful, winning mentality. Ole, by his own admissions focuses a-lot on man management/squad harmony, and I believe this bunch of lads winning something together will be a good platform for us to build upon for future success. Going into next season after finishing second and being EL winners will bring a real confidence to the squad. It's not a major cup obviously, but it would be great to see Ole as our manager lift a trophy and winning cups, leagues etc. is what it's all about. Obviously losing in the final doesn't negate all the good work we done to get there. But I admit I enjoyed our EL win under Jose - it was one of the good nights under his tutelage.

Overall, winning it changes very little for Ole in a-lot of ways but I truly believe we can use it as a platform to build on.

Red_toad

Potentially two years, if there's enough progress. If he gets sufficient backing in summer and we regress next season, he should obviously go.
If the fans continue affecting and disrupting the club, sacking the manager won't help regardless. Ole's job is secure, the owners wouldn't dare sack him as the fans adore him and he's the buffer for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.