Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NZT-One

Are you feeling personally attacked?
Sometimes I do a bit. Because there is quite a trend to put all critics in one pot, calling them impatient, questioning their support. That hurts.

It’s odd that some Manchester United fans are offended by Manchester United fans being happy about the Manchester United Manager doing well after Manchester United win a football match
Yeah no not really... Look I get where you are coming from. But in no way, shape or form have I mentioned that I am offended by "United fans being happy about United". I just noticed, that quite a few decided to express their happiness by (yet again) ridiculing past criticism. I am sure, you understand the difference, aren't you?

Glad you think the game ultimately did merit a winner - however late. The team must be thrilled to have met your approval.
Yeah, I am sure managers and players are only reading the positive stuff on here so of course these messages are way more contributive than mine...

As for your concerns regarding future opponents countering our tactics that are currently working for us, I am overjoyed to report that most of the times the opposition does indeed attempt to surmount the challenge posed by our team - or any team they face. We too are not immune to that quixotic desire. In my humble opinion, in fact, it is one of the singular pleasures of football - where there are generally two sides playing to gain something from the match.
Glad you layed that out for me. Thanks. What I meant was, that I felt a big factor of our way improved performances in the last weeks has been Pogbas introductions on the left. Adding a second creator to the team making it even harder to defend against. But today, I did not really feel that worked as well as in the other games. Teams adapt. So do we. I for one am very curious, how we will do it.

But for the previous Ole-in's and Ole-out's I think it is quite healthy to come to terms with what has been said, let some steam out and then move forward united as supporters of team and manager.
I fully agree. But in my opinion, the way it is done these days (just have a look, this thread after the game, it was exactly the same posts, slamming negative statements from some time ago - while there were no actual negative statements in the thread) will not really help. One bad result and the circle starts from the beginning.

RedTiger

Half mast
I'd gone to make a cup of coffee and put the radio on and heard what you heard the same. I nearly dropped my coffee. Thing is these people never suggest an alternative manager.
Forget about alternative managers for now, I jist can't fathom how any United fan can have watched us since 2013 and go on to say that Oles football is awful. It's mind-boggling Tadpole.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Forget about alternative managers for now, I jist can't fathom how any United fan can have watched us since 2013 and go on to say that Oles football is awful. It's mind-boggling Tadpole.
There have been times when people have moaned about the style, but how can you not get excited of the will to win in this side. Think it has improved when Cavani is involved. I am very happy with what I am watching. Also that Mason has started to come back to his form of last season.

NZT-One

I think, this behaviour is quite connected to things like the sunken-cost-fallacy. When you were one of the more louder moaners, it is pretty difficult to just row back some time later and adjust your stance. Nobody wants to lose his face, therefor I guess some think it is better to just go for it and rip it further and further. Thats actually quite a dilemma, because it leads to absolutely pointless discussions.

kidbob

I don't know if he's the guy to bring us to that next level. However I do know for sure that he isn't a shit manager, PE teacher or whatever else he was called and he never was. If he were to leave at the end of this season then he would go down as a good-great manager for us overall, especially if we win the Europa. Honestly shame on anyone who fired vitriol on him, especially the United fans who did. The guy could get us relegated and he'd still be a club legend for his playing days alone. The media should hang their heads too. They called him shite and now refuse to admit they were wrong for the most part. The main thing I like about him is that team spirit seems to be excellent and he has improved a hell of a lot of players, which we have been crying out for.

Again I'll say that my ideal scenario is to have him be our manager but to bring in a top class assistant who can coach us to the next level. That way you get the best of both worlds.

Edit: now back him in the transfer market you scum leeches.

DomesticTadpole

I don't know if he's the guy to bring us to that next level. However I do know for sure that he isn't a shit manager, PE teacher or whatever else he was called and he never was. If he were to leave at the end of this season then he would go down as a good-great manager for us overall, especially if we win the Europa. Honestly shame on anyone who fired vitriol on him, especially the United fans who did. The guy could get us relegated and he'd still be a club legend for his playing days alone. The media should hang their heads too. They called him shite and now refuse to admit they were wrong for the most part. The main thing I like about him is that team spirit seems to be excellent and he has improved a hell of a lot of players, which we have been crying out for.

Again I'll say that my ideal scenario is to have him be our manager but to bring in a top class assistant who can coach us to the next level. That way you get the best of both worlds.

The media are a disgrace, they as you say will not admit they were wrong. Every thing United do is evil.

Chairman Steve

It’s because he’s an evil foreigner taking a British mans job in their eyes.

If he was English, they’d be noshing him at every given opportunity and actively lobbying to get him in the England job at our expense.

kidbob

The media are a disgrace, they as you say will not admit they were wrong. Every thing United do is evil.
In particular with Ole. Like he is a nice fella so I really don't understand it. Their main job should be to report on whats in front of them but so many have become these opinion heads who act like they are experts about the game. The fact that they can't admit they are wrong amounts to a lack of journalistic integrity for me, even if it refers to such a generally meaningless thing in the grand scheme of the world. Isn't there some guy who claims that we'll never win a trophy under Ole? Is he going to hold his hands up if we win the Europa? I highly doubt it. You'd think in things like sport the integrity would be better, its not like they are pushing some world changing agenda or anything.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.

If he was English, they’d be noshing him at every given opportunity and actively lobbying to get him in the England job at our expense.
This is part of it. However, I think they're pissed because if you noticed, Ole runs a tight ship - just like Sir Alex used to - no sources or leaks. Everything handled outside of the media when it comes to team matters. I honestly think they thought he'd be more malleable and they'd be able to be up in our business to cause even more trouble.

I implore United fans to starve the press as much as possible. Stop clicking on their shit articles for a start.

Jazz

As for Mr Ole. I am happy for him, and would be over the moon if we could win the Europa.

Jazz

In particular with Ole. Like he is a nice fella so I really don't understand it. Their main job should be to report on whats in front of them but so many have become these opinion heads who act like they are experts about the game. The fact that they can't admit they are wrong amounts to a lack of journalistic integrity for me, even if it refers to such a generally meaningless thing in the grand scheme of the world. Isn't there some guy who claims that we'll never win a trophy under Ole? Is he going to hold his hands up if we win the Europa? I highly doubt it. You'd think in things like sport the integrity would be better, its not like they are pushing some world changing agenda or anything.
The English media are a disgrace. They awful awful people in that industry. They wouldn't know an ounce of integrity and professionalism if it jumped up and bit them on their useless behinds.

rotherham_red

There are many ways you can look at things - yes in a way you are correct. Big Ron was sacked after 5 consecutive top 4 finishes - of course you neglects to mention that the season he was fired we started the season with 6 defeats from the first 8 and a 1-5 thumping by Southampton in the league cup. And the same with Jose - he was also fired for a horrible start to the season and losing the dressing room - not for finishing 2nd in the league.

But as always - you interpret facts in your own way
Also, top 4 meant diddly squat back then too

alexthelion

You'll like this, then

alexthelion

Not true, just look at how they're still gushing over Arteta. He's not English.

Paul_Scholes18

We have many poor attacking games and 0-0 games. Also many great second halves when we play great football after a poor start. Particular the Roma game that was an amazing response.
Often we are almost better when we go a goal behind and Ole have to inspire us to go more attacking in second half.

Wish to see it more in 0-0 games and be a bit more brave with subs when it is not working in those games.

lysglimt

Scout
If a new poll had been opened, I wouldn't have been surprised if 20% wanted him gone in the summer.

DomesticTadpole

If we win the EL it will be interesting to see what Simon Jordan comes out with. I imagine he will come up with some reason that we won it despite Ole.

lysglimt

Scout
If we win the EL it will be interesting to see what Simon Jordan comes out with. I imagine he will come up with some reason that we won it despite Ole.
Personally I am more interested in hearing what Burley will say - at least Jordan has said he doesn't think OGS is a bad manager - just not good enough. That's more than Burley has ever said

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
If a new poll had been opened, I wouldn't have been surprised if 20% wanted him gone in the summer.
I said it was nonsense at the time but even less than 2 months ago (Leicester FA Cup) certain posters believed it was closer to 50/50.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He seems to be learning from his earlier mistakes. Now if we can improve the team over the summer, I can see him challenge for the title.
I agree with others, the biggest plus is that the harmony in the squad seems right, we have the right values and now, players want to stay

Odin

Sometimes I do a bit. Because there is quite a trend to put all critics in one pot, calling them impatient, questioning their support. That hurts.

Yeah no not really... Look I get where you are coming from. But in no way, shape or form have I mentioned that I am offended by "United fans being happy about United". I just noticed, that quite a few decided to express their happiness by (yet again) ridiculing past criticism. I am sure, you understand the difference, aren't you?

Yeah, I am sure managers and players are only reading the positive stuff on here so of course these messages are way more contributive than mine...

Glad you layed that out for me. Thanks. What I meant was, that I felt a big factor of our way improved performances in the last weeks has been Pogbas introductions on the left. Adding a second creator to the team making it even harder to defend against. But today, I did not really feel that worked as well as in the other games. Teams adapt. So do we. I for one am very curious, how we will do it.

I fully agree. But in my opinion, the way it is done these days (just have a look, this thread after the game, it was exactly the same posts, slamming negative statements from some time ago - while there were no actual negative statements in the thread) will not really help. One bad result and the circle starts from the beginning.
I don't know about you, but I feel this is a chance at getting a united fanbase. The schism has been constructed by factions on both "sides" of the spectrum. The "Ole-out's" have had their feasting days. Now, the "Ole-in's" surely must be allowed to let some steam out. Considering the amount of negativity around here at each poor performance or result, I am pleasantly surprised there isn't more gloating to be honest. The question is how do we move forward?

Let's hope people around here can accept levelheaded support and critique of team and management. Blatant dismissals and insults, both a mainstay on any webforum, reflect more on the messenger than the subject.

Last edited:

Lux Thunder

It's not a thing to celebrate, but I'm more than happy with the progress he has made, even more as he is one of my favorite figures in club history. Hope we win EL and finish the season strong and Ole to be backed in the transfer window.

I also had doubts about his tactical knowledge and in-game management, with his man-management and handling media very good, but to find and play the team to their strength and to help players that way to improve is a success from the managerial point. I know that every manager has his philosophy and ideas on how to play but to adapt with what you have to bring the best out of the team shows me more than just simply stay stubborn with your ideas. Ole come a long way from adapting to players, bringing in the right players, adapting to opponents to finally finding and establish his style. And this 4-2-3-1 seems to work for the majority of players as well as for Ole

To sub off Bruno for Matic when Villa yesterday switched to aggressive 4-2-4 to hunt equalizer ( and leave Rashford for a potential break ) could be done a little earlier but was a great response from the bench and gave us needed balance and control ( also Watkins stupid sent off undeniable help us to ).

Where we can obviously improve, apart from the recruitment, are set pieces, both defending and attacking. I think that coaching staff should focus more on it, sure we should be more dangerous from set play with the aerial ability or Cavani, Pogba, Maguire, and McTominay, and add some more goals that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: roonster09

Relfy

This whole Ole In/Out thing is just so mad. How anyone can't see the progress that is being made with Ole at the helm is either blind or stupid. You are welcome to think he isn't 'the one' but get behind the fecking team, support them and back the manager. 2nd place this season is progress no matter what anyone tries to say. I know the EL isn't the competition we wanted to be in, but a win in the final could be a catalyst going into next season for us to really kick on. I for one would be delighted to see Ole lift a european trophy as manager of this club and he should be praised if we win the final.

romufc

Alot of people underestimate the mental strength this group of players have and it has been instilled by Ole. Time after time the players and managers have been questioned, by the media, pundits and fans.

Twice this season, once at the start of the season and second after going out in the CL. The way he has managed certain players, Maguire post his Greek issues, Mason post his international issues and the biggest one, Pogba.

He did not let any of this have an impact on the players, like we have seen in the past.

Alot of people say things but he clearly has the ability to motivate players, it can't be a coincidence that we come back after half time a different team, things are said in the dressing room.

I remember the time when everyone was having a go at him for sitting on the bench and not being like Arteta and dictating play. There was jokes about the ipad and what not.

He keeps getting difficult ties in cup competitions and has a good record against the big sides. I know we didn't score many goals but we didnt concede many either. We are only second because he was not backed in the summer.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Then it jumps up to 40% after a loss.

We have some of the most clueless, agenda-driven fans in the world. That cretin who called into Talk sports and said that he is ''Ole Out and always will be'' -- was just embarrassing. Absolutely clueless.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Then it jumps up to 40% after a loss.

We have some of the most clueless, agenda-driven fans in the world. That cretin who called into Talk sports and said that he is ''Ole Out and always will be'' -- was just embarrassing. Absolutely clueless.
You should have a look at the comments on our facebook page...
The amount of clueless there makes most Ole outers on here look like Einstein.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I don't know about you, but I feel this is a chance at getting a united fanbase. The schism has been constructed by factions on both "sides" of the spectrum. The "Ole-out's" have had their feasting days. Now, the "Ole-in's" surely must be allowed to let some steam out. Considering the amount of negativity around here at each poor performance or result, I am pleasantly surprised there isn't more gloating to be honest. The question is how do we move forward?

Let's hope people around here can accept levelheaded support and critique of team and management. Blatant dismissals and insults, both a mainstay on any webforum, reflect more on the messenger than the subject.
Their feasting days should have been over last season itself when it was evident as feck that we were being limited by the personnel at our disposal (AP and Lingard) rather than the manager. Post that it was fewer, albeit louder posters who were trying to feed their agenda on this forum

Withnail

Their feasting days should have been over last season itself when it was evident as feck that we were being limited by the personnel at our disposal (AP and Lingard) rather than the manager. Post that it was fewer, albeit louder posters who were trying to feed their agenda on this forum
What I find absolutely baffling is that some of the most negative ones hardly post at all anywhere on the forum when we are doing well.

Why bother if all you have to contribute is relentless negativity? Yes we can all criticise managers/players performance but post about the good things too.

Back on topic, one aspect of these come-back wins which I saw mentioned somewhere is our fitness. There's clearly been some excellent work put in over the past couple of years for us to come through this gruelling schedule and to still be full of running and scoring goals when our opposition are running out of gas at the end of games.

Eriku

Personally I am more interested in hearing what Burley will say - at least Jordan has said he doesn't think OGS is a bad manager - just not good enough. That's more than Burley has ever said
Burley after Roma was asked if a trophhy would change his mind about Ole. The EL doesn’t impress him, apparently, and Mourinho did the EL and 2nd place in the same season too.

Which, of course, he fecking well didn’t! He totally threw in the towel on top four, going the EL route instead.

Tony247

FA thought they would punish united by congesting the fixture. In return now Ole is pissing everyone off by telling he will field weaker side. FA have handed fate of Chelsea, Leicester, Pool and Hammers all in Ole's hand.

Liverpool especially must be very anxious.

AshRK

He has to be backed this summer. There is no other way around it. And when I say back, I don't mean buying two 18 year old unproven players or a vdb like squad player who it seems Ole never wanted. Give him a sancho or a top class CF, or a dm. I understand we can't spend 200m in one summer but he must get one the top talents who will improve the first 11.

OleBoiii

I'm gonna quote myself from the other thread, as I think it perfectly predicts how this thread will look like in a month or so:

The Ole out crowd:
2nd place but less than 82 points = we haven't improved since Mourinho!
82 points, but no EL trophy = this means nothing! Ole hasn't won a trophy!
82 points and EL trophy = why didn't Ole rotate his players more?! Terrible man management!
82 points, EL trophy, playing the kids = OK it worked out this time, but he took a huge risk playing the kids there! This is not sustainable long-term. Also, where are the patterns of play!?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If it wasn't for those oily bastards we would have been champions. I know it sounds RAWK-ish but really though just look at ManCity squad. Probably the best in the world right now in the terms of quality and depth. On top of that they have Pep fecking Guardiola as manager. Think about it for a minute then reflect on how we still rely on James and Mata as subs, Martial losing his boots and Rashford isn't having his best season. The gap is huge and Ole has done well in my opinion. 2nd place is the best we can achieve this season. Accept it and move on.

keithsingleton

My opinion on Ole still the same, just have my doubts he can take us to that next level. Can't stand his interviews on tv as he just doesn't come over as well as other top managers.

However, I'm pleased he's doing well for us and definitely improved us and long may it continue. I'll be so happy to eat all the humble pies available along with egg on my face stating I was wrong. It will be a happy day for me if that happens.

Hopefully he can win us the Eurpoa Cup and with the right transfers in summer make us a team that can compete with City and Liverpool once their back to full strength for the Premier League.

Haddock

I don't think it's that. Ole is as close as you get to a foreigner being an Englishman. I don't read the tabloids so I don't know. To my mind the most critical people have been Athletic writers like Anka and Cox and the Guardian Wilson and Liew.
My opinion on Ole still the same, just have my doubts he can take us to that next level. Can't stand his interviews on tv as he just doesn't come over as well as other top managers.

However, I'm pleased he's doing well for us and definitely improved us and long may it continue. I'll be so happy to eat all the humble pies available along with egg on my face stating I was wrong. It will be a happy day for me if that happens.

Hopefully he can win us the Eurpoa Cup and with the right transfers in summer make us a team that can compete with City and Liverpool once their back to full strength for the Premier League.
And this is basically the nub of the issue. A while ago on the Guardian Podcast, when he was finally pushed by Max Rushden to justify his unshakable belief that Ole is crap , Jonathan Wilson said as much.

He doesn't sound good. He doesn't project greatness. Arteta does. He talks about tactical diagrams and pure maths, triangulating Aubameyang's positioning and having Tierney calculate the square on the hypotenuse. Ole says something about how "um...err...aa..we're Man Yaanaited and uh...we're up for the challenge." Arteta worked for Guardiola and Wenger. Ole worked for no tactics Ferguson and was relegated with Cardiff. This is how it is for some managers. Ancelotti is seen as a galactico whisperer at best and a fraud at worst by the same set of sportswriters.

The press always has a narrative and unless your acheivement is so undeniable that even a blind man can see it (Ole winning something significant) it will remain this way.

Withnail

I don't think it's that. Ole is as close as you get to a foreigner being an Englishman. I don't read the tabloids so I don't know. To my mind the most critical people have been Athletic writers like Anka and Cox and the Guardian Wilson and Liew.

And this is basically the nub of the issue. A while ago on the Guardian Podcast, when he was finally pushed by Max Rushden to justify his unshakable belief that Ole is crap , Jonathan Wilson said as much.

He doesn't sound good. He doesn't project greatness. Arteta does. He talks about tactical diagrams and pure maths, triangulating Aubameyang's positioning and having Tierney calculate the square on the hypotenuse. Ole says something about how "um...err...aa..we're Man Yaanaited and uh...we're up for the challenge." Arteta worked for Guardiola and Wenger. Ole worked for no tactics Ferguson and was relegated with Cardiff. This is how it is for some managers. Ancelotti is seen as a galactico whisperer at best and a fraud at worst by the same set of sportswriters.

The press always has a narrative and unless your acheivement is so undeniable that even a blind man can see it (Ole winning something significant) it will remain this way.
How does that work when Klopp always comes across as a gurning cheerleading twat?

EDIT: because he's won things he can do what he wants and they'll say nothing because they'll look dumb?

Status
Not open for further replies.