Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Good performance by Ole so far. Much better performance this game.

Matriac

Why did we even buy Sancho if Ole is only gonna give him 7 mins at the end of games? He's our new VdB.

anant

Relied on Grealish’ individual brilliance so far
No patterns of play. Shit football despite spending all this amount. With all the talent on the bench, he decides to bring on Henderson and Mings.

This is his ceiling. Sack him today if they want to win the Euros

NZT-One

So glad you guys found something fun. Duty in the ODU (Ole Defense Unit) must be so tense every day, you clearly earned it :D

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
And if Ole had half of Peps track record no one at our club would have a problem with it, instead we keep spending fortunes on players only to keep spending more money for those players to become effective. Pogba and Maquire being the 2 prime examples. 2 World record signings I may add.
So Pep can waste £100millions on one position but Ole's not allowed to buy a partner for Maguire? We play with 2 CB's y'know
Yeah because he's a renowned manager at a club that has real expectations, he is expected to win trophies. People were talking about him getting the sack if he didn't win the final FFS.

If Ole made a CL final, forget win one, we'd be building him a statue and our fans would be worshipping him.
How was he renowned before PSG, he'd only won one cup ever.

And aren't you talking about sacking Ole because he didn't win the final (FFS)

If Ole won one he probably would deserve a statue, winning one as a player and one as manager.
No trophies in three years is a “great job”? Interesting take.
People probably said they wanted a Tuchel type manager because he’s very well rounded. Seems to have nailed both the man management and tactical sides of coaching. Unfortunately if you want to compete with the best you need both and not just one.
Also it’s difficult to use the “poor me” excuse when you spend a combined 175 million on Wan Bissaka, Maguire and Van de Beek. The first two have done alright for us but that’s a long way away from being the best use of 175 million pounds of transfer fees.
Picking the club up from where it was was a great job so far.

Ole is not responsible for a bad negotiation team. We paid asking price for all of our signings whereas other clubs actually negotiate. But they are all players who improve us, which is the point.
9 goals in one match is irrelevant in the context of a full season. We also lost 6-1 to Spurs.

Nobody is arguing with the results, because the results have been poor relative to the demands and expectations. And side note - talk about not sacking off competitions... errr.... Champions League?

We didn't get to two semi finals. We got to a semi final, a quarter final and the EL final and lost them all. No improvement on the previous season, where we got to three semi finals and lost them all. We finished 8 points better off than last season but our results against the other big 6 were far, far worse, and we're only in second because every other big team other than City had implosions for one reason or another. In most other seasons 74 points would see us fighting for the top four in the final game, not comfortably second with 3 weeks to spare.

Compared with the financial outlay we've seen nowhere near enough of an improvement since Ole's period as interim manager. And all the improvement we have seen has come from the introduction of Bruno and his individual brilliance.
9-0 is relevant when people are talking about "best spells". The 6-1 was a "bad spell"

We didn't sack off the CL, the players had a collective brain fart against Istanbul. That should have never happened, but that's on the players.

Other teams had implosions and difficulties, so did we. Rashford playing injured, Martial going AWOL, Pogba injured, a game every three days, no preseason, more games than anyone else. We still came second.

Again, Ole is not responsible for the negotiation skills of our negotiators. And Bruno's brilliance, do you think the team might be instructed to look for him first and foremost? And cover for him defensively? To play him so high he's basically a number 10. Those are management decisions.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
How was he renowned before PSG, he'd only won one cup ever.

If Ole won one he probably would deserve a statue, winning one as a player and one as manager.
That's one cup more than Ole the top level.

And I didn't say anything about sacking, that's your insecurity over him speaking. Him winning or not winning the second tier European trophy wouldn't be this huge accomplishment or a deal breaker. Him/us actually being in it does says something sadly.

So he didn't win the CL of course whereas Tuchel did. Yet instead of the latter deserving a statue, he is being compared as a manager to Ole who has done feck all at the highest level. Our man has a long way to go. Tuchel has in 6 months done much more for Chelsea than Ole has for us on 2.5 years.

NZT-One

So Pep can waste £100millions on one position but Ole's not allowed to buy a partner for Maguire? We play with 2 CB's y'know
Thank you Captain Obvious. Poor us, seemingly being forced to pay a world record transfer fee for Maguire. Maybe, just maybe there could have been another CB who would have matched the available ones better so we wouldn't be talking about adding the next elite CB two years after purchasing one for 80 million because seemingly that's what it takes to be competetive (for some here not even that but to just be able to evaluate the quality of a manager).

Picking the club up from where it was was a great job so far.
Lets be real here, he deserves a statue anyways for you doesn't he? Because he must be great because a great mind like yours is happy with him. It is getting so boring reading that "I am a real supporter"-BS constantly, people seemingly not being able to even just grasp the mere concept of something being not as great as possible.

Ole is not responsible for a bad negotiation team. We paid asking price for all of our signings whereas other clubs actually negotiate. But they are all players who improve us, which is the point.
Again...poor Ole. Having to work with these players and this staff. At least he has some of the best fans in the world.

9-0 is relevant when people are talking about "best spells". The 6-1 was a "bad spell"

We didn't sack off the CL, the players had a collective brain fart against Istanbul. That should have never happened, but that's on the players.
Deus ex machina. Really nothing we could have ever done. It just wasn't meant to be. Nobody could have done any better, except for the referees and our players. Thank god you spared us with the reasons we fecked up the two other games in CL where a point would have been enough, probably other bad spells and brain farts.

Other teams had implosions and difficulties, so did we. Rashford playing injured, Martial going AWOL, Pogba injured, a game every three days, no preseason, more games than anyone else. We still came second.
Maybe the thing with the 2nd place is something you could somehow integrate in the statue?

Honestly, at this point we can already start preparing the bullshit bingo for next year... some of the greatest hits of this year "not being backed", "problematic preseason", "some players need upgrades" mixed with new stuff like "we need a striker because a 28yo Cavani would sooo transform the play", "Sancho needs time to adapt to his team mates and the physicality" and "schedule benefits other teams more than us". Maybe even a dark horse like "Injury to Dan James ended all our chances".

Again, Ole is not responsible for the negotiation skills of our negotiators. And Bruno's brilliance, do you think the team might be instructed to look for him first and foremost? And cover for him defensively? To play him so high he's basically a number 10. Those are management decisions.
Damn son, thank god you opened our eyes. Thats all on him! All the good stuff is connected to Ole. Bruno would only be half the player if Ole wouldn't have told his team mates to "cover for him" and "give the ball to him". But if it doesn't work, it is on the players - mostly Fred because he doesn't give the ball to Bruno fast enough I guess.

I hate myself already for feeding those individuals... :(

Karlos PFC

Thank you Captain Obvious. Poor us, seemingly being forced to pay a world record transfer fee for Maguire. Maybe, just maybe there could have been another CB who would have matched the available ones better so we wouldn't be talking about adding the next elite CB two years after purchasing one for 80 million because seemingly that's what it takes to be competetive (for some here not even that but to just be able to evaluate the quality of a manager).

Lets be real here, he deserves a statue anyways for you doesn't he? Because he must be great because a great mind like yours is happy with him. It is getting so boring reading that "I am a real supporter"-BS constantly, people seemingly not being able to even just grasp the mere concept of something being not as great as possible.

Again...poor Ole. Having to work with these players and this staff. At least he has some of the best fans in the world.

Deus ex machina. Really nothing we could have ever done. It just wasn't meant to be. Nobody could have done any better, except for the referees and our players. Thank god you spared us with the reasons we fecked up the two other games in CL where a point would have been enough, probably other bad spells and brain farts.

Maybe the thing with the 2nd place is something you could somehow integrate in the statue?

Honestly, at this point we can already start preparing the bullshit bingo for next year... some of the greatest hits of this year "not being backed", "problematic preseason", "some players need upgrades" mixed with new stuff like "we need a striker because a 28yo Cavani would sooo transform the play", "Sancho needs time to adapt to his team mates and the physicality" and "schedule benefits other teams more than us". Maybe even a dark horse like "Injury to Dan James ended all our chances".

Damn son, thank god you opened our eyes. Thats all on him! All the good stuff is connected to Ole. Bruno would only be half the player if Ole wouldn't have told his team mates to "cover for him" and "give the ball to him". But if it doesn't work, it is on the players - mostly Fred because he doesn't give the ball to Bruno fast enough I guess.

Excellent post mate.

So sick and tired with the abundance of excuses for next season.

edgecutter

Couldn't have said it better

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
Or maybe the centre backs we had weren't up to scratch so we needed new ones, good ones. Unless you think that we were going to win something with Phil Jones and Chris Smalling.

When Pep's full backs or centre backs aren't up to scratch, he replaces them, but Ole is not allowed to? How much do you reckon Stones, Laporte, Diaz, Otemendi, Ake etc cost? More or less than £80million. When Klopp loses a couple of centre backs he puts up the worst title defence ever.

No one is saying that Ole is the Messiah, but at least get him a centre back pairing that works.

[\QUOTE]

As I said, if he wins the CL as a manager as well as winning one as a player, then, yeah, I think he would deserve that, but he hasn't, so he doesn't yet.

I don't think I'm more of a "real supporter" than you, but I don't think I'm less of one either. I just think we have different points of view and we are discussing them.

I want United to be the best, biggest club on earth, I just think, from the state we were in after Moyes/LvG/Mou, the project is further back than Pep's Man City were, maybe even behind the Liverpool that Klopp took over. It's not going to change overnight, the team needs investment and you can't change 8 or 9 players in one season.

[\QUOTE]

It's his job to get the players up to speed and if he can't, replace them with players who can't improve. He doesn't have the best fan in the world, you call yourself a United fan, right?

[\QUOTE]

I agree, the Istanbul games were shocking, but no one expected us to beat PSG and Leipzig had been doing well for a few years and have a few bob behind them too. A lot of people didn't think we would get out of the group and we didn't. I'd prefer if we did, but I understand why we didn't.

[\QUOTE]
No need, it's on record that Ole was the second best manager in the whole of England last season. As I said, if he wins the CL, then he deserves a statue because he will have won the CL as a player and manager. You can keep pretending that we value second place higher than you, but we don't, we want to win the League, the CL, every fecking thing, but we also don't want to throw our toys out of the pram if we don't get what we want every season. Have some patience dude, you'll give yourself an aneurysm.

[\QUOTE]
What's your bullshit bingo then? Nagelsmann, de Zerbi, Rose? Some manager who's implemented a system with underlapping goalkeepers and a double pivot on the left wing?

I kinda hate you too, bro, I kinda hate you

Last edited:

OmarUnited4ever

Sancho & Varane (assuming we actually get Varane) are major upgrades, with that, Ole must challenge for the PL, no excuses allowed here

Oldyella

Or maybe the centre backs we had weren't up to scratch so we needed new ones, good ones. Unless you think that we were going to win something with Phil Jones and Chris Smalling.

When Pep's full backs or centre backs aren't up to scratch, he replaces them, but Ole is not allowed to? How much do you reckon Stones, Laporte, Diaz, Otemendi, Ake etc cost? More or less than £80million. When Klopp loses a couple of centre backs he puts up the worst title defence ever.

No one is saying that Ole is the Messiah, but at least get him a centre back pairing that works.
Smalling won 2 leagues, and fa Cup, league Cup and europa league Cup with us, although wasn't 1st choice when we won the leagues given how long ago they were. He won more for us as a player than Ole as a manager. Maybe he thinks his last boss wasn't up to scratch and a new one, good one, woild have helped him win more with another? Obvious exaggeration but why is Smalling the easy target here?

Jones barely ever starts so not even sure why he's being mentioned as needing replacing. Blame people who have actually partnered Maguire.

Pep maybe spending money to replace players constantly who aren't up to what he needs, but while he's doing so he's still been winning trophies.

Of course the club should try and make things as easy as possible and fans should take into account what the squad is like when we do so, but no manager will ever have the perfect squad. We sacked Jose(which definitely needed to happen) and he had been trying to sign a CB too. Funnily enough the one we then landed for Ole.

NZT-One

I agree, the Istanbul games were shocking, but no one expected us to beat PSG and Leipzig had been doing well for a few years and have a few bob behind them too. A lot of people didn't think we would get out of the group and we didn't. I'd prefer if we did, but I understand why we didn't.
Come on man. One point was needed. Against teams we scored against already, won against already. Lets not act as if it would have been unheard of and that we would have been the underdog against f**ing Leipzig. The rest of the football world sees it as a little bottle job. Its fine, sometimes you bottle stuff. But we at least should stand up to it - and if it is only to keep ourself in safe distance from RAWK levels.

Have some patience dude, you'll give yourself an aneurysm.
Patience is needed. But you have to keep aware of the existence of the concept of blind faith. Which is common especially when people become desperate and lost. Which might apply to parts of a fanbase that were used (even spoilt) to success. Blind faith can lead to bad decisions and we made a lot of them in the past which led to a 10 year transition period.

I am patient. We all should be. But not to a point of being numb - and I am happy to discuss the distance we have to that state.

What's your bullshit bingo then? Nagelsmann, de Zerbi, Rose? Some manager who's implemented a system with underlapping goalkeepers and a double pivot on the left wing?
Lets not act as if progress is necessarily bad. The best manager these days in Pep and Klopp have very specific ideas about how to play the game. The younger generation of coaches grows up with that. There might be something in it, don't you think? There is something about emergence, creating teams that are more than just the individual players. Our competitors make use of that concept. At some point, we have to stay in touch with the business. SAFs days are gone.

I am not saying, there are no other ways to achieve something, but with our team, we are pretty close to a point, where a lot of people will ask why we don't do better trophy wise. I don't see another available and suitable coach right now, thats why I am more than fine with Ole getting his chances. He showed to be best manager since we had Fergie in the dugout. But being the best of four doesn't really helps us when we are up against the best in the business. We should be well aware that with keeping him, there are costs of opportunity. Currently they seem to be just in balance (for the majority of fans). But another season like the last one might change that.

It's his job to get the players up to speed and if he can't, replace them with players who can't improve. He doesn't have the best fan in the world, you call yourself a United fan, right?
I meant you, not me obviously. But, while absolutely respecting your opinion, you voice your reasoning in a very apologetic way (even for an "Ole In"-guy ^^ ). And that's where it triggers other people. Like me :D I am not asking you to stop, I am just telling you, these discussions will start everytime as long as you act as if absolutely nothing bad that happens is connected to the manager. It is mental to have a stance that everything bad is his fault, but the other extreme isn't less crazy.

Agree to disagree, have a good one.
(Btw: Quoting is easy, the quote starts with the "["Quote="Peter van der ...."]"-command stuff, and it ends with "["/Quote"]"-command. If you want to quote different pieces of a larger text, you have to copy-paste the commands around the parts you want to quote. At least thats how I do it. If somebody knows better ways, I am interested as well.

Of course the club should try and make things as easy as possible and fans should take into account what the squad is like when we do so, but no manager will ever have the perfect squad. We sacked Jose(which definitely needed to happen) and he had been trying to sign a CB too. Funnily enough the one we then landed for Ole.
Agree with anything you said, the bolded part is the most important one.

I am perfectly aware of the fact, that an infinite number of views are possible, thinkable and perfectly valid. We just have to be aware that it is pretty easy to walk to close at the edge where reasoning becomes some sort of defeatism. And, reading and understanding that we all want United to be most successful team in the world, we shouldn't let sentimentalities cloud our views about what a manager should do or not do too much(!!!). Just to make it clear. I am pretty much looking forward to next season. And I am happy with Ole being in charge right now. But he, just like anybody else, should be held accountable for his doings. And he shouldn't just be judged against his three predecessors but against our competitors.

Matriac

Ole proving that we don't need Sancho.

We just have to sign Kane and Grealish instead.

anant

Top top performance again today, and this time in a big game

OleBoiii

Typical Ole relying on individual brilliance.

Don't be fooled by the result: Löw is still the best manager in the world.

Matriac

So with the Mata new contract announced 4 hours ago, then signing Tom Heaton news 3 hours ago, and just now Grant's new contract. I'm expecting them to announce Ole's new contract in an hour or two to finish off the Friday announcements. :)

anant

Loved the shithousery today. Didn;'t play Sancho in initial games to get his price down. Started him in the game directly after finalizing the deal

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
With the amount of talent Ole has at his disposal, I will be shocked if we don't win anything next season. This new season will be interesting g as Ole can't blame lack of quality in this squad for any troubles.

Regardless, I don't think he would have to as I am quite confident that we will get at least a tier two trophy next season

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He also improving Shaw after the league season is finished. What other Premier League manager can say the same about their players.

Status
Not open for further replies.