Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
And the same people who can't come out of Jose's arse, are moaning about parking the bus. Making your mind up.

And also not sure to whom you are directing the post, it's better you take it with them as (with all due respect) any discussion with you is just waste of time in my opinion.
You see me moaning about parking the bus?

Fair enough. Wouldnt want to argue with someone so high on his horse.

Josh 76

This isn’t about the short term though and that’s were our muppet Ole out fans need to grow a pair, what happens in the next 6 games isn’t going to change the fact our squad is not good enough. What happens in the next couple of transfer windows is way more important.
Totally agree.
Ole is the only manager who will accept this role at the moment without moaning and making a fuss. What's the use getting a 'world class' manager in now and then calling for his head when the results don't improve with these players in the short term.
Like it or not, this will take time. The fans have to be mentally strong to realise this. 3 great signings last summer, maybe 1 in Jan and another 3 next summer. Then we can start building the foundations of a title competing team for the season after next. (2021-22). By then klopp and Pep would have finally fecked off too!

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
It all depends on the context obviously, when Mourinho does it against a better team, I have no issue with that. Parking the bus isn't a bad tactic in certain games, when we do it very often, against poor teams, it's horrible for viewing.
We definitely parked against most big teams - City and Liverpool especially but we attained some good results. Against smaller teams, I dont think we parked it very often just that we werent consistent in attacking.

Yesterday I saw no issue with sitting back but we had no intentions or plan to attack. Conversely, in 2018, we had an effective long ball tactic which saw us score 2 and Mata missed a sitter which would have had us 3-0 up at half time.

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
"Liverpool was average today.. we should have won"...

This line is standard after a game like this. But never do they add WHY today, of all days Liverpool was average. I can't remember the last time they didn't just run over the opposition. Maybe..maybe.. could it have been because Ole, the man with absolutely "ZERO footballing knowledge" neutered Klopp's Liverpool and made them avarage? If so, shouldn't that give him some credit? Maybe he is more capable then many give him credit for.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I thought our approach overall was fine yesterday.

However I don't like how slow he can be to react to things on the pitch... If there's a bunch of us in the stand complaining that Robertson keeps getting too much space, why is he not doing something about it?

Sterling Archer

I sure hope he proves my gut feeling wrong. If he does it's going to be a case of him learning on the job. I don't think that's acceptable for a manager at a club of United's stature, or the Premier League at all. But that's on Ed. If there's anyone to get lucky enough for that opportunity then I'll be glad it's Ole. I just desperately want to not have the legend player status muddled with anymore poor manager image.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
This isn’t about the short term though and that’s were our muppet Ole out fans need to grow a pair, what happens in the next 6 games isn’t going to change the fact our squad is not good enough. What happens in the next couple of transfer windows is way more important.

I think you're contradicting yourself a little with your previous comment.

The squad was good enough yesterday to get a result against the European champions but it's not good enough to beat teams like Newcastle or Palace? That doesn't make sense. We definitely have a better squad than the 2 mentioned so why couldn't we get a result against them? And please don't say that small teams sit back against us and we don't have the players to break them down. Palace and Newcastle were pretty open games and even Rochdale decided in the second half to have a go at us.

Agreed that transfers are urgently needed but the secret of a good manager is getting the best out of the players he's got and so far Ole (bar yesterday) hasn't shown he can do that. Just because he doesn't have fantastic players doesn't mean to say he doesn't have to show some sort of tactical awareness on the pitch. Even a majority of championship managers have a style of play and Ole being still not sure of what his is after 10 months is slightly worrying to be honest.

Judas

Open to offers

However I don't like how slow he can be to react to things on the pitch... If there's a bunch of us in the stand complaining that Robertson keeps getting too much space, why is he not doing something about it?
Its been the same story his entire time here. His in game management is horrendous. he’s so slow to react and often when he does it’s a weird decision. It’s another reason why he’s just not good enough.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Sounds like 'in game management' is this week's area of expertise for the Ole out brigade. Previously 'patterns of play' and 'coaching'.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Sounds like 'in game management' is this week's area of expertise for the Ole out brigade. Previously 'patterns of play' and 'coaching'.
I'm not really Ole out, (nor am I Ole in, I'm a fence sitter... probably the worst thing you can be) and I think it's a weak part of his game, so where does that leave me?

Leftback99

They are all relevant
They are, I just find it funny that it's mentioned a couple of times and everyone latches on to it but are rarely able to explain what they would have done differently. If Rojo doesn't have a lapse in concentration it wouldn't even be mentioned.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I'm not really Ole out, (nor am I Ole in, I'm a fence sitter... probably the worst thing you can be) and I think it's a weak part of his game, so where does that leave me?
Blame it on an earthquake or Brexit or that you lost your concentration because 20 nude lady cyclists just rode by but it looks like you're starting to lose your balance sitting on that fence.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Blame it on an earthquake or Brexit or that you lost your concentration because 20 nude lady cyclists just rode by but it looks like you're starting to lose your balance sitting on that fence.
Nah I'm happy on my fence.

Whats the point in coming off it, as either side will just result in stepping in the same pile of shit that surrounds the fence and will continue to do so until the fella in charge of maintaining the land is booted out.

Leftback99

Probably around the same as me. I know things aren't perfect but not convinced we have a better option. Also any perceived weakness is blown out of proportion on here.

Grande

His options where limited because of the poor quality of our squad. Who’s to blame for that is up to debate.

One thing I’m a little bit disappointed with is the start of the second half. It was expected that Liverpool should come out in full force and even with that knowledge they immediately forced us to our back heels. We gave up the initiative and possession a little bit to easy in my taste, we should have played more physical and used our home advantage. Apart from that it was a good performance.
On a general note, I’ll say that if this present Liverpool starts a half hell bent on taking it to the opposition, it’s a damn good team that isn’t pegged back. We aren’t a damn good team at the moment, so that does not equate to giving up initiative, rather to losing it.

Specifically, they changed their tactics in the second half (in itself a nod to the effectiveness of our first half tactics). Klopp put Henderson wide and sent Origi up top to tie up all three of our defenders, Firmino falling behind/between the lines to orchestrate play, and Hendo helping Arnold into crossing positions more often. This worked in order to peg us back, creating a bit of unstructure between our defensive lines, and we struggled to play out as well.

Solskjær then made a change: From 3-4-3 to 3-5-2 with McTominay as an anvhor to pick up Firmino. This stabilized matters, and Liverpool didn’t create anything. Some people’s claim that playing low against Liverpool is inviting trouble is nonsensical. That is what most often works against Klopps teams. It’s ‘taking it to the opposition’ that mostly ends in tears. But you have to lay low well - preventing Robertson and Arnold hitting crosses without pressure and high in the field. United managed just that with a central three giving two wide fullbacks safety to oush up against R and A.

The tactics worked in getting lead, and keeping the best team in the league mostly harmless. Liverpool actually scoring was in spite of the tactics: Wan Bissaka forgetting his position (yes, he is young, raw and still positionally inconsistent) and Rojo doing what Rojo does that makes him 6th choice of our CBs (7th when counting Smalling).

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Nah I'm happy on my fence.

Whats the point in coming off it, as either side will just result in stepping in the same pile of shit that surrounds the fence and will continue to do so until the fella in charge of maintaining the land is booted out.
I just hope that you live in a warm country and you have a lot of provisions ready because unfortunately you could be sitting on that fence for a very long time. Just make you you pack plenty of pile cream with your provisions.

JustAGuest

They are, I just find it funny that it's mentioned a couple of times and everyone latches on to it but are rarely able to explain what they would have done differently. If Rojo doesn't have a lapse in concentration it wouldn't even be mentioned.
Another one is the idea that he's tactically clueless. I'll give him credit for our strong defence this season (bar a few individual errors which you can hardly blame the manager for). Yesterday's game also shows his flexibility in taking a different tactical approach when needed, and successfully so.

The obvious issue is that we are far from creating enough chances at the moment. Let's see how this improves with Pogba and Martial coming back.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea

Maybe if you shout louder?

On the other hand maybe he's his own man and fully aware the crowd are not qualified to give advice. Especially to a team that is just about to break Liverpool's 100% start to the season.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies

Was saying the same thing yesterday. Their fullbacks had all the time in the world. TAA was the one. Can't believe how much time he had on the ball no matter where he was on the pitch.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Maybe if you shout louder?

On the other hand maybe he's his own man and fully aware the crowd are not qualified to give advice. Especially to a team that is just about to break Liverpool's 100% start to the season.
And yet that's where their goal came from... so you know, might have been a good thing to do something about it?

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
And yet that's where their goal came from... so you know, might have been a good thing to do something about it?
I hear what you're saying but its not realistic to expect a manager to take advice from a bunch of guys shouting from the stands.

Rory 7

Was saying the same thing yesterday. Their fullbacks had all the time in the world. TAA was the one. Can't believe how much time he had on the ball no matter where he was on the pitch.
Not in the first half surely? I thought the way Ole had us set up first half totally negated their full-backs. If anything our first half set-up should be a template for the rest of the league on how to stop Liverpool. I think our own players just went in on themselves second half. That wasn't a tactical error - more a mindset. Not sure what or who Ole could have brought off the bench to reverse that and therein lies our problem - lack of depth.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Not in the first half surely? I thought the way Ole had us set up first half totally negated their full-backs. If anything our first half set-up should be a template for the rest of the league on how to stop Liverpool. I think our own players just went in on themselves second half. That wasn't a tactical error - more a mindset. Not sure what or who Ole could have brought off the bench to reverse that and therein lies our problem - lack of depth.
Yes, both halves. I was sat directly in line with him in the first half and he constantly had acres.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I hear what you're saying but its not realistic to expect a manager to take advice from a bunch of guys shouting from the stands.
He shouldn't be taking advice from the stands but his own eyes should tell him these players should be closed down. Maybe he thought we could deal with aerial crosses but ultimately it was from that position we're we conceded. Could AWB have closed him down quicker? Maybe but all game Robertson and TAA had too much time and you can't allow players of their crossing ability that luxury.

el3mel

Not really. Not every team can execute a defensive plan with counter pressing up front without fecking up some times during the game, otherwise someone would have stopped them earlier or during previous season. Just knowing how to stop them isn't enough.

We did well today and had 1 moment we lost concentration in and we conceded, so imagine a small team trying to do that. They'll have more feck ups during the game.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Don't agree. First half our set-up kept him occupied in his own half. I've no problem him having space on the ball in his own half.
Were you there? I know what I saw. His line of runs with directly level in front of my face. He wasn't pressed at all no matter where he received the ball. And then it weirdly switched to Robertson in the second half. Was doing my head in.

Rory 7

Were you there? I know what I saw. His line of runs with directly level in front of my face. He wasn't pressed at all no matter where he received the ball. And then it weirdly switched to Robertson in the second half. Was doing my head in.
yep was there. Think you are being hard on us.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
I'm not saying he should take advice from the stand, I'm saying if can spot it - in my opinion - he should be able to as well.

Not that he should take advice from me either - but I mean, if we can't make criticisms then what are any of us doing here?

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
yep was there. Think you are being hard on us.
Maybe a tad harsh yes seen as we don't have the players to press them anyway but I was still surprised how much time we allowed both fullbacks (who are dangerous anyway) to have and it only increased as the game went on and nothing was done to prevent it.

Fosu-Mens

Correct setup for us yesterday. An approach which everybody on here correctly assumed was our only approach to get points: Sit low and counter.
Problem is that we will not be able to do this against weaker teams. So this point against a good Liverpool is in no way an indication that we can win against Norwich.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Correct setup for us yesterday. An approach which everybody on here correctly assumed was our only approach to get points: Sit low and counter.
Problem is that we will not be able to do this against weaker teams. So this point against a good Liverpool is in no way an indication that we can win against Norwich.
Actually this approach would be perfect vs Norwich. They are super naive and we would slice them open on the counter. But we're too proud to play like that vs Norwich.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Is Ole a misunderstood genius?

He was world class yesterday and completely out tactic'd the scouse.

Ole made The Kloppinator look like Kindergarten Klopp.

Fosu-Mens

Actually this approach would be perfect vs Norwich. They are super naive and we would slice them open on the counter. But we're too proud to play like that vs Norwich.
We should given that OGS talked about the importance of results short term, and this Mourinhoesque approach is the most likely way for us to get points. We lost to Newcastle and will struggle against any team that parks the bus against us. If Norwich plays like they did against City we are in trouble. If they have a similar approach as they did against Liverpool we should have a good chance.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I must've been watching a different game to a lot of people on here. Yes he set us up well at the start but 2nd half was shite and once again we lost a lead. His in game management is poor and Klopp out thought him with the changes. We were hanging on for that draw at the end.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
He'll probably get the sack, then Allegri will arrive and say exactly the same thing Ole did... need more players, need more time etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.