Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We're game raisers under him, we did well against Chelsea, and ok against Arsenal, Leicester & Liverpool.

Watch us lose to Norwich and Bournemouth. It won't be a shock will it, in fact I'd be surprised if we're even favorites.

Truth be told, he's a shit manager and we're going nowhere under him, but some fans don't want to admit it because they are loyal to a club legend. I get it. Let's not pretend we're building something here though.

lRed

No, because of your reply. I notice how you ignored Ron Atkinson. Fergie took years to create his dominating sides, he almost got the sack too. As I said before, United do not have a god given right to win. All I ask is they challenge and do so with style and commitment. Your comments disregard the history and ethos of this club as it has always built rather than bought. Mourinho and LvG were two of the greatest managers in the world and where did they get us?

Ole may not be the best but he has a true love for this club and he should be given a fair chance. So far he has massively improved the defence, bought three very exciting players and he has got rid of some overpriced dead wood in Lukaku and Sanchez. He's also giving the youngsters a chance and trying to get United back playing a fast attacking style. The trouble is the modern football fans want to see galacticos, £100m transfers for every position and to win at all costs, they don't afford time and expect it all instantly. Yes I agree Ole is inexperienced and yes I agree he's making mistakes BUT his ethos is spot on and I can see what he's trying to do. He knows and loves United and knows how the club should be run and how the football should be played. The disrespect Ole gets is disgusting imho. Personally though I wish he hadn't taken the job as his legacy could be tarnished and he doesn't deserve that.
Really happy to see these types of mind.
I hope Ole will have everybody fit and signs players to fill the gaps we currently have, to progress and lead us to the right direction.
Next games are vital and we need to win them, with Pogba, Martial, AWB and Shaw back, it will be easier.

Can you see us making business in the january window ?

Masskh

I think this arguments for or against Ole would not go anywhere, our 5 upcoming games in PL are not the most challenging games we would have, If he manages to get 12 out of 15 I would say I see the progress at least results wise. otherwise, he has no option rather than leaving us.

Hedgehog72

I was all for giving Ole a season or two to rebuild, but i honestly cant see any progress in either style or results. We have improved our defence agreed, but its clear our lack of creativity and a proven goal scoring threat is our biggest problem and i don't see us solving either of those in January. I
n my opinion, t​
he only blame i could put on Ole on Sunday was some odd subs, Martial was not going to bring anything to a team hanging on needing an outlet, and at that point we were not going to add a second goal. Rashford was playing well on scraps and was tracking back well.....taking him off for Martial was naïve.

If we can build on some momentum and get some wins in the next few games, then maybe i can believe a little again, but i am not overly optimistic.

Foxbatt

Of course Pogba and Martial will make a difference. But whether Ole knows how to get the best out of them is another story.

el3mel

It's not a good record but any employer making up goalposts to judge performance on wouldn't get very far.

You can either judge his entire interim and permanent tenure or this season alone. Anything else is cherry picking.
His overall win rate including the honeymoon period with all its wins is a grand total of 46.3% in 41 games, the worst out of all post SAF United managers.

Lynty

Please describe what this method of play is and then also describe how he has backed this up with his team selections. Including what his method is when we are not the underdog team that can play on the counter and why when Pogba was injured Matic played and why Mata/Pereira have been playing RW
I just typed out an overly long personal analysis of how I think we are intending to play (current injuries considered)...

Then I realised that you won't care enough to read it, and neither would I.

But people on here wish to believe that the combined Footballing knowledge of Ole, Mckenna, Carrick, Phelan and Demspey equates to nothing. Theyre just rolling dice to decide team selections and telling the squad its about taking part that counts?

Once we get a full strength squad back, you'll see the mood change here.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I just typed out an overly long personal analysis of how I think we are intending to play (current injuries considered)...

But people on here wish to believe that the combined Footballing knowledge of Ole, Mckenna, Carrick, Phelan and Demspey equates to nothing. Theyre just rolling dice to decide team selections and telling the squad its about taking part that counts?

:lol: I'm actually interested hence why I asked.

Look you can decide you know what people are thinking if you want, but its clear to me that is it not easy to decipher they way we are attempting to play from pre season, then going into the season (without any injuries) then also playing without Pogba and now with a lot of injuries.

Also regarding the combined football knowledge, many clubs have people with football experience which fail to implement their plan.

Anyway I suspect you also find it difficult to decipher hence why you didn't bother posting the answer to the question you were clearly asked.

But in future please don't insult my intelligence by telling me I wouldn't be bothered to read the answer to the question I asked, if not then why would I even ask the question?

Lynty

:lol: I'm actually interested hence why I asked.

Look you can decide you know what people are thinking if you want, but its clear to me that is it not easy to decipher they way we are attempting to play from pre season, then going into the season (without any injuries) then also playing without Pogba and now with a lot of injuries.

Also regarding the combined football knowledge, many clubs have people with football experience which fail to implement their plan.

Anyway I suspect you also find it difficult to decipher hence why you didn't bother posting the answer to the question you were clearly asked.
No I realised that I don't have a Pro License to back up my anaylsis, so I'm essentially becoming the 'armchair tactian' that I was moaning about.

It's a shame that others can't do similar quality checks on themselves before spouting rubbish on here.

I agree that the implementation isn't there but there are clear signs of a playstyle thats progress from Jose. And I'm pleased because unlike Jose' philosophy, I can see where Ole's pointed the team and its clear on what we need to achieve it, whether or not Ole's is still in place to deliver it to fruition...not my concern, and I'm sure I made that clear in my initial post.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
No I realised that I don't have a Pro License to back up my anaylsis, so I'm essentially becoming the 'armchair tactian' that I was moaning about.

It's a shame that others can't do similar quality checks on themselves before spouting rubbish on here.

I agree that the implementation isn't there but there are clear signs of a playstyle thats progress from Jose. And I'm pleased because unlike Jose' philosophy, I can see where Ole's pointed the team and its clear on what we need to achieve it, whether or not Ole's is still in place to deliver it to fruition...not my concern, and I'm sure I made that clear in my initial post.
Every person replying in this thread (and the forum in general I guess) fancies him or herself to be somewhat of an armchair tactician. Why would we presume to know better than that of professional football managers and their players otherwise?

Football fans talk shit. It's just what we do :)

Cassidy

Wait so you don't have a pro license so describing what Ole is doing would make you an 'armchair tactician'... right ok

So you declaring that there are clear signs of a play style, doesn't make you an 'armchair tactician'.... right ok

So let me get this right, you think that you declaring that you can see a style, but then not even describing what it is, makes sense... right

If describing it isn't allowed because you do not possess a coaching license, what then gives you the license to declare you are able to identify the style?

I'm a little confused how you can come and tell people to check themselves before spouting rubbish when you are on a forum making claims about tactics (when you're not a qualified coach) which you can't even back up with any thought or evidence (because you are not a qualified coach) makes total sense....

Lynty

Wait so you don't have a pro license so describing what Ole is doing would make a an 'armchair tactician'... right ok

So you declaring that there are clear signs of a play style, doesn't make you an 'armchair tactician'.... right ok

So let me get this right, you think that you declaring that you can see a style, but then not even describing what it is, makes sense... right

If describing it isn't allowed because you do not possess a coaching license, what then gives you the license to declare you are able to identify the style?

I'm a little confused how you can come and tell people to check themselves before spouting rubbish when you are on a forum making claims about tactics (when you're not a qualified coach) which you can't even back up with any thought or evidence (because you are not a qualified coach) makes total sense....
There's a line where talking tactics becomes, what's this arsehat chatting.

A three page explanation on a playstyle that is regarded as personal opinion is firmly in arsehat territory

Cassidy

There's a line where talking tactics becomes, what's this arsehat chatting.

A three page explanation on a playstyle that is regarded as personal opinion is firmly in arsehat territory
So why then say that there clearly is one if you cannot explain it. That then would then surely mean its only your opinion that it exists no?

bleedred

Yeah, just replace Ole with LVG or Jose and you would have even more footballing knowledge and yet they failed.

So, even with the full strength squad, what does your tactical analysis say, on the form towards the end of the last season.

FerociousCorgis

Yeah, just replace Ole with LVG or Jose and you would have even more footballing knowledge and yet they failed.

So, even with the full strength squad, what does your tactical analysis say, on the form towards the end of the last season.
exactly. The form was shit at the end of the season and we didnt have too many injuries to my knowledge. THen it was wait for Ole and his preseason work with the squad and everything will be magically better. Now it is back to injuries as the excuse. You keep a smaller squad, you risk the injuries. Same thing we had under LVG. Except he didn't get to stay and use that as an excuse.

Eric7C

I disagree - it's not a question of "Game raising" it's a question of OGS has one game plan - Sit back, defend deep and catch on the break. When a team sits back against them, United have nothing and doesn't have the Midfield to dominate a match centered in Midfield

Yes, he was astute against Klopp, but he doesnt have a plan B.

The good news is the other relegation contenders will not get as many points against the top 6 (Including LCFC) as United
Well, I think it's a bit of both. Certainly Ole has only half a plan - to counter-attack, but United also seem more focused and determined in games against the bigger teams.

Lynty

exactly. The form was shit at the end of the season and we didnt have too many injuries to my knowledge. THen it was wait for Ole and his preseason work with the squad and everything will be magically better. Now it is back to injuries as the excuse. You keep a smaller squad, you risk the injuries. Same thing we had under LVG. Except he didn't get to stay and use that as an excuse.
Being a caretaker manager in a throwaway season and having 6 first team injuries in the first 9 games are migitating factors. It hasn't been a fair trail and to call for his head at this point is unbalanced criticism

LVG and Jose both had fair trials.

So why then say that there clearly is one if you cannot explain it. That then would then surely mean its only your opinion that it exists no?
My opinion is that there is clearly a playstyle, your opinion is that there is not. Let's call it a day.

AC1689

OK so I think it's time we weighed up the pro's and con's that have been argued throughout this thread and really look at them with open eyes and some real rationale.

Let us start with the arguments against Ole:

- 4 wins in 22 games since PSG.
- Currently 14th in the PL after 9 games;
- 2 points above relegation
- 15 points behind leaders
- GD of +1
- 22.22% win ratio
- 10 points from 9 games​
- 2 wins in last 14 league matches, with 6 draws and 6 defeats.
- Winless away from home in eight matches.
- Haven't scored more than one goal since first game against Chelsea.
- Unable to hold on to a lead, having thrown leads away against Wolves, Southampton, Rochdale, Arsenal and Liverpool.
- Let go of Herrera, Lukaku, Fellaini and Sanchez without any like for like replacements and now the squad is threadbare and the best striker is a 10-goal-a-season man. Was the risk of injury to players not considered?
- Handed new contracts to Jones, Mata, Young despite claiming he wants to remove deadwood.
- Why are so many players injured (12 isn't it) 9 games into a season? Coincidence? Pure bad luck? Something wrong with training/fitness regimes?
- In-game management seems to be lacking. Subs made too late, system doesn't change, never appears to be a plan B, C or anything but a plan A.
- Won back to back titles with Molde in his first two seasons but finished 6th in his 3rd season, then heading to Cardiff, eventually relegating them and getting the sack.
- Won 9 out of 30 games for Cardiff (win rate of 30%)
- Returns to Molde and wins no titles finishing 5th in 2016, and runners up the following two seasons.
- Since leaving, Molde are now 1st in the league, 5 points clear with 5 games remaining, having lost only 3 of 25.
- Since leaving Molde, they have a win rate this season over 25 games of 68%. Ole's win rate for the club was 55.56%.
- Has a win rate for Manchester United, including the so called honeymoon period, of 47.5%, lower than any United manager since 1981.
- Worse start of a season for 33 years.

The arguments for Ole:

- If SAF had been sacked this early we wouldn't have had our many years of eventual success. (SAF had previously won silverware, incl European, for Aberdeen)
- It's a process (despite no visible progress and dire results, see above).
- His signings are good (Jose wanted Maguire, Giggs recommended James), so credit at least for AWB.
- He is a club legend.
- He had an initially good start with United.
- He is a nice guy, always smiling.
- He's giving youth a chance (despite Greenwood, Gomes etc barely playing).
- It has to get worse before it gets better (this one always amazes me).
- We drew against Liverpool.
- It's the United way.
- It's the players, not the manager.
- He has inherited years of bad management so deserves time to sort out the mess.
- Woodward is to blame for all the negatives, Ole is responsible for everything positive.

The thing that really strikes me is that all the negatives are backed up by hard evidence and statistics, yet the positives are somewhat subjective and there are zero stats which can be used to make a positive case for Ole.

Happy for anyone to add anything to either list if they are able to!?

For me, it all points to one thing, the need for Ole to go ASAP. But what do I know.

Last edited:

bleedred

Being a caretaker manager in a throwaway season and having 6 first team injuries in the first 9 games are migitating factors. It hasn't been a fair trail and to call for his head at this point is unbalanced criticism
You said, with the full strength squad, the mood will change. My question was why was this full strength squad failing towards the end of the season?.

Cassidy

LVG and Jose both had fair trials.

My opinion is that there is clearly a playstyle, your opinion is that there is not. Let's call it a day.
Where have I even said this :lol:
What I said what its difficult to decipher what it is, which is why I asked you to describe it

bleedred

OK so I think it's time we weighed up the pro's and con's that have been argued throughout this thread and really look at them with open eyes and some real rationale.

- GD of +1
- 22.22% win ratio
- 10 points from 9 games.​
- Unable to hold on to a lead, having thrown leads away against Wolves, Southampton, Rochdale, Arsenal and Liverpool.
- Let go of Herrera, Lukaku, Fellaini and Sanchez without any like for like replacements and now the squad is threadbare and the best striker is a 10-goal-a-season man. Was the risk of injury to players not considered?
- Handed new contracts to Jones, Mata, Young despite claiming he wants to remove deadwood.
- Why are so many players injured (12 isn't it) 9 games into a season? Coincidence? Pure bad luck? Something wrong with training/fitness regimes?
- In-game management seems to be lacking. Subs made too late, system doesn't change, never appears to be a plan B, C or anything but a plan A.
- Won back to back titles with Molde in his first two seasons but finished 6th in his 3rd season, then heading to Cardiff, eventually relegating them and getting the sack.
- Returns to Molde and wins no titles finishing 5th in 2016, and runners up the following two seasons.
- Since leaving, Molde are now 1st in the league, 5 points clear with 5 games remaining, having lost only 3 of 25.
- Since leaving Molde, they have a win rate this season over 25 games of 68%. Ole's win rate for the club was 55.56%.
- Has a win rate for Manchester United, including the so called honeymoon period, of 47.5%, lower than any United manager since 1981.

The arguments for Ole:

- If SAF had been sacked this early we wouldn't have had our many years of eventual success. (SAF had previously won silverware, incl European, for Aberdeen)
- His signings are good (Jose wanted Maguire, Giggs recommended James), so credit at least for AWB.
- He is a club legend.
- It's the United way.
- He has inherited years of bad management so deserves time to sort out the mess.
- Woodward is to blame for all the negatives, Ole is responsible for everything positive.

The thing that really strikes me is that all the negatives are backed up by hard evidence and statistics, yet the positives are somewhat subjective and there are zero stats which can be used to make a positive case for Ole.

For me, it all points to one thing, the need for Ole to go ASAP. But what do I know.
The main one people keep alluding to, "There is no one else available". To me, that is not an enough reason to keep a failing manager.

Amerifan

The main one people keep alluding to, "There is no one else available". To me, that is not an enough reason to keep a failing manager.
So you’d prefer no manager? Phelan? Carrick? Woodward?

Ole or no Ole is as stupid as Leave or Remain without knowing the Brexit deal. Ole vs a given replacement is the decision.

He'sRaldo

Unfortunately the writeup, while a good idea, is too biased to be approached from both sides.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
OK so I think it's time we weighed up the pro's and con's that have been argued throughout this thread and look at them with open eyes and some real rationale.

- GD of +1
- 22.22% win ratio

The arguments for Ole:

- He is a club legend.
- It's the United way.

The thing that strikes me is that all the negatives are backed up by hard evidence and statistics, yet the positives are somewhat subjective and there are zero stats which can be used to make a positive case for Ole.

Happy for anyone to add anything to either list if they can!?

For me, it all points to one thing, the need for Ole to go ASAP. But what do I know?
Not the most balanced pros & cons list I've ever seen. It reads more like a dig at Ole than anything constructive.

In any case, you seem to have omitted a few underlying factors from 'the arguments for Ole' section such as:

- The squad and its many failings currently available to Ole is mostly the work of Jose Mourinho and, to a lesser extent, LVG.
- The players within the squad are performing to a similarly low standard today as when they played under the above managers.
- The ongoing injury crisis has had a large impact on performances squad wide and results by extension.

r0663664

Worships Man City

- GD of +1
- 22.22% win ratio

The arguments for Ole:

- He is a club legend.
- It's the United way.

Nice argument, make full sense. Hope Liverpool is a turning point and the team start climbing the table else Ole has to go come 2020 January. Give the new man half a season to decide what he needs for the summer transfer window.

AC1689

Not the most balanced pros & cons list I've ever seen. It reads more like a dig at Ole than anything constructive.

In any case, you seem to have omitted a few underlying factors from 'the arguments for Ole' section such as:

- The squad and its many failings currently available to Ole is mostly the work of Jose Mourinho and, to a lesser extent, LVG.
- The players within the squad are performing to a similarly low standard today as when they played under the above managers.
- The ongoing injury crisis has had a large impact on performances squad wide and results by extension.
I know, I know. I really tried to remove my bias but then I just couldn’t help myself. But I spent that long writing it out I couldn’t bring myself to not post it :lol:. I did try to keep it neutral but then as I thought about it long and hard, it just hit home how bad things are right now.

Flytan

We're 14th in the league, not playing youth, struggling to score, and playing boring football. It's like all the concerns of Mourinho without actually winning. Not sure how anyone can actually support him continuing the be manager if they were actually looking at this without bias.

momo83

Massive Snowflake

1) Our squad was still good enough to finish 2nd.
2) The players are performing to a much much much worse standard then under Jose or LVG... don’t forget LVG was playing Academy players McNair, Blacket, Jackson and still only missed out on 4th due to goal difference. To put it into context City sell academy players and they become £100m + superstars, what happened to the 3 I named?

It’s astounding that people think it was this bad under LVG and Mourinho. A complete rewriting of history, just to make Ole not appear as bad as he is. Under LVG even in his final season there were times in December when we were a win away from going top. Now we’re probably a loss away from going into the relegation zone.

3) We were crap under Ole even without the injuries.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.

- GD of +1
- 22.22% win ratio

The arguments for Ole:

- He is a club legend.
- It's the United way.

Good post. We should make a sticky of it so I don't have to point the same things out over and over again to those in favor of Ole at the wheel.

GunnerUK

Supports
Arsenal
Ole still clearly has the dressing room the players still play for him. And it’s not banter me saying as an Arsenal fan he should be given more time even if you don’t finish in a European qualifying position why he wasn’t given more funds in the summer is anybodies guess but maybe this will come in the next few transfer windows. What Utd are lacking is confidence you guys put Liverpool to the sword the other night and we’re the better team only a few tweaks are required are my opinion.

Owners are an issue in my opinion for complete lack of knowledge in the game and passion of the club thing with Utd is missing out on Champions League doesn’t effect commercial revenue whatsoever they make the sort of money where European football is lose change and doesn’t make dent not qualifying so deemed not important to the owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.