Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fracture90

2 great wins, 2 very good performances against strong opponents.

I will never get behind the counter-attacking style, but I hope we can get some consistency and start dismantling those weaker sides as well.

Not to take anything away from City win, but they lost some extremely important players for them due to injuries and their style mashed with our style, perfectly.

theklr

You see the way we are playing, and the first team you think of is Klopp's Liverpool? Did you start watching Utd 4 years ago?
If you look at Liverpool a couple of years ago ( not the current version i agree), i think they are similar, yes.

But the main similarity is between Klopp and Ole , especially the man-management

ScarleyUtd

Hurting? I’ve had a great week, my best week watching United for a long time, and I’m a season ticket holder.

What kind of weird, twisted, fecked up World do you live in where you think a United a) wouldn’t LOVE a week being Spurs/Mourinho at home and shitty away and b) doesn’t want Ole to succeed.
The Red Cafe world lately. If you're not one of the negative types on here who can't see the bigger picture then fair play to you and apologies.

However I offer no apologies to the twits on here over the last months. Some of the stuff that's been posted has been ridiculous. And no, of course they're not going to be requesting his head right now. Why would that be?

Stepney73

Good win for ole yesterday and it shows he can get out team to go toe to toe with all the top sides my only criticism is his in game managment needs to improve as I thought his subs should have been a bit earlier as the team looked to be running on empty(I know he didn't have many options on the bench).
If he can improve that part of his managment plus the club back him and get at least one player in January and say another 3 in the summer then let's see where that takes us.

Having said that the way he got the team to rip city to bits in that first 30 mins was something he deserves all the praise he's been getting.

Conor

If you look at Liverpool a couple of years ago ( not the current version i agree), i think they are similar, yes.

But the main similarity is between Klopp and Ole , especially the man-management
That wasn't my point, I think you've come to the wrong conclusion when deciding who Ole is modelling us after...

Zen86

Its strange really, he praised both Guardiola and Man City comprehensivly yesterday: «in my opinion the best team in the world», «massive fan of all Guardiola’s sides», «I read his books» etc etc.

But it is uncanny how similar he and United actually are (or is trying to be) to Klopp and Liverpool.

His man-management (constant praise, sympathy and «buddying up» with the players), passion for the club and the players, type of players (and the attitude he wants from them) and preferred style of football - everything points to that he is emulating Klopp and LFC.

But i guess that he is actually aware of that and how badly it could look, so he says the exact opposite thing.

And, ofcourse - sticking it too Liverpool by naming their biggest rivals the best team is the best way to do that.
Klopp and Guardiola didn’t invent football management you know. He worked under one of the greatest managers in history so maybe, just maybe, that’s been the biggest influence on his approach.

Acquire Me

Klopp and Guardiola didn’t invent football management you know. He worked under one of the greatest managers in history so maybe, just maybe, that’s been the biggest influence on his approach.
No doubt about that. He has said so himself on more than one occasion. Ole loves the game and have been studying it from a very young age. The worst insult on him must be when people says his a poor tactician. He is one of the best in that regard imho.

Let’s stand behind him, the players and the long term plan. It might be bumpy, but it will be exciting.

RedDevilRoshi

The last two results and performances have been excellent when in reality, no one including myself could see it after we had dropped points to both Sheffield United & Aston Villa in which we were lucky to escape with a point in both those games.

It’s good that we are able to compete with the likes of Spurs, City, Liverpool, Chelsea etc on the park but our main downfall has been dropping points to teams that we should be beating. That’s the teams we have struggled against and the games we have dropped so many points in.

It’s clear as day that the players are behind Ole. That’s something you couldn’t say was the case under Moyes, LVG & Jose. I just hope Ole manages to get us playing well and getting results against the so called lesser teams. That’s what has been his major downfall this season.

Regalia

Hurting? I’ve had a great week, my best week watching United for a long time, and I’m a season ticket holder.

What kind of weird, twisted, fecked up World do you live in where you think a United a) wouldn’t LOVE a week being Spurs/Mourinho at home and shitty away and b) doesn’t want Ole to succeed.
The OleIn crowd, from my observations, lack rationality and operate solely on emotion. Sort of like Trump supporters. They accuse everyone who has a difference in opinion about our manager (based on his undeniably abysmal record and performance since PSG) of not supporting the club and think they 'enjoy' watching United lose. When we do lose, they have a million excuses for the manager. When we win, they fall over themselves rushing to online forums to rub it in everyone's faces that Ole got a win. Doesn't matter how we did it, or why we won (like opponent playing into our counter-attacking hands; granted, we are bloody good at the counter with that pacey front 3), to them they have won the internet. Just ignore them.

Personally, for me, the 1st half yesterday was an amazing performance. 2nd half we controlled the game sort of well, but make no mistake, we were just camped out in our half like any mid-table side would do against City. Difference was that McTominay, Bissaka and Fred played their hearts out and were in the way of everything City tried. Also helped a bit that City was off-colour and had Jesus as their focal point in attack. But, great performance, no doubt. Show this competency, fight and verve in our next 3-4 games against the midtable fodder and I don't think anyone here would be unwilling to say 'maybe Ole can actually do this'.

I still believe that there are better managers out there to take us forward, but that doesn't mean Solskjaer cannot change my mind. It's crazy if anyone thinks most of us wouldn't want one of our legendary players to be the one to bring us back to the top and put the Liverpools, Cities and Chelseas of the world back where they belong.

meamth

Still reading posts like Ole has no clue in the 2nd half, no intention to score.

You'd wish football is that simple.

If you think these football players are aliens with unlimited stamina, fair enough.

They are fecking humans.

Dve

5 games left in 2019 and Chelsea will be playing both Tottenham and Arsenal away, while United have a much easier program ahead. There is a fair chance United will be starting the new years inside the top 4, imo.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
5 games left in 2019 and Chelsea will be playing both Tottenham and Arsenal away, while United have a much easier program ahead. There is a fair chance United will be starting the new years inside the top 4, imo.
Arsenal are shit though. Granted that Chelsea seems to have a dip in form right now but i still think they will get something there

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
The OleIn crowd, from my observations, lack rationality and operate solely on emotion. Sort of like Trump supporters. They accuse everyone who has a difference in opinion about our manager (based on his undeniably abysmal record and performance since PSG) of not supporting the club and think they 'enjoy' watching United lose. When we do lose, they have a million excuses for the manager. When we win, they fall over themselves rushing to online forums to rub it in everyone's faces that Ole got a win. Doesn't matter how we did it, or why we won (like opponent playing into our counter-attacking hands; granted, we are bloody good at the counter with that pacey front 3), to them they have won the internet. Just ignore them.

Personally, for me, the 1st half yesterday was an amazing performance. 2nd half we controlled the game sort of well, but make no mistake, we were just camped out in our half like any mid-table side would do against City. Difference was that McTominay, Bissaka and Fred played their hearts out and were in the way of everything City tried. Also helped a bit that City was off-colour and had Jesus as their focal point in attack. But, great performance, no doubt. Show this competency, fight and verve in our next 3-4 games against the midtable fodder and I don't think anyone here would be unwilling to say 'maybe Ole can actually do this'.

I still believe that there are better managers out there to take us forward, but that doesn't mean Solskjaer cannot change my mind. It's crazy if anyone thinks most of us wouldn't want one of our legendary players to be the one to bring us back to the top and put the Liverpools, Cities and Chelseas of the world back where they belong.
Wise words there.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Its strange really, he praised both Guardiola and Man City comprehensivly yesterday: «in my opinion the best team in the world», «massive fan of all Guardiola’s sides», «I read his books» etc etc.

But it is uncanny how similar he and United actually are (or is trying to be) to Klopp and Liverpool.

His man-management (constant praise, sympathy and «buddying up» with the players), passion for the club and the players, type of players (and the attitude he wants from them) and preferred style of football - everything points to that he is emulating Klopp and LFC.

But i guess that he is actually aware of that and how badly it could look, so he says the exact opposite thing.

And, ofcourse - sticking it too Liverpool by naming their biggest rivals the best team is the best way to do that.
Also you’ve just beaten them so calling them the best team in the world looks even better.

Paul_Scholes18

Nah we will not win them all.

Alabaster Codify7

Our next run of league games looks promising, but we've said this previously and Ole has let us down. These games will really prove something to me, we know that this team is capable of raising their game to beat top sides - now I want to see us putting 'lesser' teams to the sword. That is where Ole has failed so far this season, let's see if he's learned anything.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Wise words there.
+1 will add the funniest thing about Ole In is whenever we win there’s always loads of comments along the lines of “all the people who hated we won” but we you look they never post these things in reply to any quotes. Which means they’re fabricating things.

passing-wind

Solskjaer has been disappointing overall given his tenure but I give him much credibility and props for the fact we won those two fixtures when many of us wrote those games off.

Until we start getting more consistency across the board im not changing my stance on him being sacked at the seasons end because if we only raise our game against the top five but are flat against the 15 other clubs in the division, we will be finishing around the mid table mark.

The minimal objective this season should be top four, unless there are positive circumstances as to why we miss out, Ole won't have a long term future here. Additionally us finishing for qualification of the champions League group massively effects our success in the market. So if fans think we can continually miss out top four finishes and dramatically improve as team in 3 years time with limited resources that's not going to happen. Ole said himself the club won't be making alternative based second tier signings so I'm sure this point has been stressed to himself.

Gasolin

He’s building a team that is rather close to the 2008 team United had, with Rashford in the Ronaldo role, and Martial and James for the Rooney / Tevez role. I actually think James is the Rooney (sacrifice for the team) and Martial is the Tevez, second scorer.

I don’t think it’s much related to what he likes. He builds that kind of team right now, but at Molde, he was also closer to a Pep style team. It’s just that for that, we need a bit more of a technical team in the midfield.
Anyway, I think it’s going to get better and if we remember well, that 2008 team was amazing. What I don’t know is if we’re the 2006 version or 2007 version, ie are we a year or two away from wining the league? That’s up to Ole and Ed.

Gasolin

Our next run of league games looks promising, but we've said this previously and Ole has let us down. These games will really prove something to me, we know that this team is capable of raising their game to beat top sides - now I want to see us putting 'lesser' teams to the sword. That is where Ole has failed so far this season, let's see if he's learned anything.
Let’s see if the players have finally learned to be winners, because Ole doesn’t tell them: let the others score to nullify all our goals lads. Or you believe he says that?

Gasolin

No man, what the hell? we are clearly going for the 2008 team and growing Rashford for the Ronaldo role. Big time! What does Klopp have to do with this...

el3mel

Feels great looking back at the table and seeing us close to top 4 again. Last 2 wins were really, really big. We have a great chance to build on this considering Chelsea recent terrible form.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Feck this. When we start winning big games I can't even get chances to watch matches. :mad:

Anyway this is an absolutely magnificent result whatever way you look at it, even though I couldn't watch. There's no need to talk about sacking him now, will be very illogical. Let him get a chance for the rest of the season and see what will happen. Things are looking to improve, and looking at the lineup today, this might be actually our best lineup.
This is the reason why some of these people have no right to call the manager out if they got no clue what’s going on in the matches & can’t see the bigger picture what’s actually happening.

Alabaster Codify7

Let’s see if the players have finally learned to be winners, because Ole doesn’t tell them: let the others score to nullify all our goals lads. Or you believe he says that?

Haha, yeah right - United win, it's down to Ole. United lose, it's the players that lack the winning mentality, right? Clownshoes.

Dve

What may have changed, though, is that Everton will be knowing they are meeting players in form. It will be harder for them to really convince themselves they can get something out of this game, compared to e.g. Newcastle back in October who had been watching Rashford stumbling in his own feet most of the season. The Everton defence may not go into the game with the same confidence, and these things counts.

And I´ll be very disappointed - and surprised, really - if we see poor performances from the front 3 next week against Everton. More than genius tactics, you need sharpness up front to break down a deep sitting team, and that´s what I expect to see.

Gasolin

Haha, yeah right - United win, it's down to Ole. United lose, it's the players that lack the winning mentality, right? Clownshoes.
No it’s more like the plan is always the same from Ole but players f*** it up and there’s no other way to put it when you do the hardest part to score goals and let them come back in the game.

Alabaster Codify7

No it’s more like the plan is always the same from Ole but players f*** it up and there’s no other way to put it when you do the hardest part to score goals and let them come back in the game.

What you have just written there - read it back - is something Sam Allardyce or Glenn Roeder could say, mate. Seriously.

Gasolin

What you have just written there - read it back - is something Sam Allardyce or Glenn Roeder could say, mate. Seriously.
Big Sam and Glenn work on counter press first and defensive shape, with movements in the box? Great then, if you are convinced we play in the same manner than those managers... everyone is entitled to his opinions then, I suppose.

MacabbiUnited

Supports
Maccabi Tel Aviv - Israel
What a great week, feels so good to have beaten both Spurs and Shity in the space of 3 days.

But as much as I enjoy this, we need to wait and see how the team performs on the next 3-4 games. If we manage to put together a winning run, than we cam actually say were onto something. I will welcome inconsistency as it is a young team, but will atleast expect us to look as dangerous and not like we looked againts Villa and Shefilld.

Hopefully Pogba will be fit to take Lingard's place next week and we can fonally field our strongest XI and see how they fare.

Alabaster Codify7

Big Sam and Glenn work on counter press first and defensive shape, with movements in the box? Great then, if you are convinced we play in the same manner than those managers... everyone is entitled to his opinions then, I suppose.

Here's a question, do you think Sam Allardyce would get similar results with this team? Because, and I'm not trying to cause conflict or provoke arguments here mate - I genuinely think he would have us around 6th. Sam Allardyce is a very limited, borderline poor manager but one thing Sam Allardyce can do is grind out results and get the team behind as a good man manager. One of the lads. What is so different about that, than what Ole is doing at the moment? I'll clue you in mate, don't worry - Sam Allardyce never played for us.

ReddBalls

Here's a question, do you think Sam Allardyce would get similar results with this team? Because, and I'm not trying to cause conflict or provoke arguments here mate - I genuinely think he would have us around 6th. Sam Allardyce is a very limited, borderline poor manager but one thing Sam Allardyce can do is grind out results and get the team behind as a good man manager. One of the lads. What is so different about that, than what Ole is doing at the moment? I'll clue you in mate, don't worry - Sam Allardyce never played for us.
What Allardyce did at Bolton was pretty revolutionary in his day. In his current state, he's finished.
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...rdyce-manager-bolton-wanderers-premier-league

Dve

So, one side is emotional, the other side is rational.

The way I have understood those (at least many) wanting him out, they are angry. Angry at the Glaziers, angry at Woodward, angry at the board, angry at Ole. They refuse to lower the standards of the club, and they want everyone out who may be responsible for the loss of hegemony, Things have to be fixed now, not in a year. Not in two years.

Anger is an emotion.

Sack Ole, bring in someone new, and let him know your expectations. Fix it now! Bring in Erikson and Bale in January. Or some other proven stars. Cause I don´t think Ole will.

Of course there are emotions on both sides, his supporters will always give him that extra portion of patience. They will swallow some because the reward on the other side is bigger. There is more to win, so they are also willing to risk more. "Ole´s at the wheel". When did you hear the fans singing so passionately about Mourinho or van Gaal. For a broad part of the fans it would just feel differently if Ole won something with United. That would add something special. And that, of course, is based in emotions. But what was football without those emotions.

But there are rational reasons for keeping Ole. An established superstar with millions of followers on ShapChat (and therefor is dying his hair every week), someone who will always be associated with the club he just left: he will not be signed. Instead Ole will sign (or breed) someone that will be happy to build his career at United. A United player. Not a Juventus player ending his career in Manchester. It´s just that you may have to wait a bit for that player. Or you can force the manager to sign Bale and Erikson in January for short time gain, and to save him his job. Or sack him, and leave his follower with a bunch of very disappointed Manchester United players.

Gasolin

And I ask back my question: do you believe tactically, Sam and Ole play the same way?!? You really do?

I didn’t know Sam was very much into counter pressing with a focus on cutting the opposition midfield options to force long balls and get the ball back at the first or second ball, or an adept of attacking with a forward line of 4 with roles to break the CB line, etc... I learn everyday. I never knew Sam was that interesting tactically. Does he also use his b2b midfielders to cover half spaces like us?

Status
Not open for further replies.