Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red00012

Great news. Congrats Ole. Back to winning ways Saturday hopefully.

TRUERED89

Too early appointment. We've just lost two games and it's now in the rest of the season we'll see how this works out when the happy "honeymoon days" are over. I'm sure Ole would have waited until june for the decision, so why should'nt the management too?
If they waited too long they couldn't start planning ahead for the summer and next season, and if they announced it during a busy fixture period it may have been more of a distraction. Perfect timing if you ask me, just before our first game after international break. OT is going to be bouncing Saturday, LOVE IT!

Patrick08

What was the point in doing it now instead of at the end of the season? It's not like Ole was going to be snapped up by someone else in that period.

I hope it doesn't bite us in the arse like that stupid mid-season Mourinho extension.
May be a kick on before champions league tie, but yeah after season end made more sense.

shaky

Negatives
- Distraction during a crucial top four race
- Too early to know if OGS will cut it at the top level. Could've waited until after the Barca games.
- Weird that he gets the position after two losses in a row. If they had already decided to appoint him, why didn't they announce before? Was there something good in our two losses that they hadn't seen before that tipped the decision? This just further sends out a message that the club rewards failure/mediocrity which is what has been happening with player contracts the last few years.
- If he fails between now and the end of the season, it will cost us more money to sack him. Was there a negative in waiting? It's not like signing him up early saves us any money?

Positives
- No Poch
- Maybe the uncertainty over the appointment was more of a distraction.
- Ah the famous "real test". Obviously if Ole can't turn Utd into a Barca beating team within 4 months of us being at our lowest ebb in decades, it would prove he's not cut out for the top level?
- Being rewarded for failure? Are you on the wind-up?

MDFC Manager

What was the point in doing it now instead of at the end of the season? It's not like Ole was going to be snapped up by someone else in that period.

I hope it doesn't bite us in the arse like that stupid mid-season Mourinho extension.
The uncertainty doesn't help with transfers or even contract extensions. Good decision

Trophy Room

Announced too early.

I admire all the positivity from others but i'm not convinced he's the man to get us back to winning things.
Time will tell, hopefully he proves me wrong :)
No I think the continued uncertainty would have been worse. There is no other realistic appointment. The timing of his appointment will have no bearing on whether he is a success here. If he is good enough he’ll be fine. If not we’ll look elsewhere. I personally feel he’ll need a few years. Do we have the patience?

littlepeasoup

Made up for him, and gives us a clear way forward and a chance of planning for the summer and next season.

Now Ed just needs back him, and give him the best possible chance to be successful.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
- Maybe the uncertainty over the appointment was more of a distraction.
- Ah the famous "real test". Obviously if Ole can't turn Utd into a Barca beating team within 4 months of Utd being at their lowest ebb in decades, it would prove he's not cut out for the top level?
- Being rewarded for failure? Are you on the wind-up?
Aye, the goalposts of needing to "prove" himself has continuously been shifted. Spurs away. Arsenal away. Chelsea away. Pool home. PSG in the UCL....no...he's yet to face a "real/big" test.

Requirements for next season are : Bring in young,hungry players in the summer that want to be here other than being enticed solely by the likely big pay-cheque they would be receiving.
Finally get rid of the deadwood within the squad,we all know who those individuals are.
Settle on a balanced first team 11.
Try to continue with bringing through young players.
Continue with developing United's offensive style.We should be the ones stamping our dominance on teams.
Compete for Top 4 and domestic cups.
Europe,CL or otherwise,should be on the back-burner.

Kapardin

Good, now just give him the fecking money to make signings. City and Liverpool are pulling ahead and even Arsenal will likely be a tougher proposition next season, so we absolutely have to get it right in the transfer market.

NJM78

Happy for Ole and deserved, hopefully he will now make the right signings (or at least ask Ed to get them).
Really need a win on the weekend after back to back defeats although I still do not believe we will finish top 4.

Hopefully after the summer window we have several quality first team players added that can take us to the next level, otherwise we are not going to win the league or CL anytime soon. Ole is not a miracle worker and I'm afraid without proper backing and hopefully a DOF employed to help out, we may well be talking about who will be our next manager in a years time.

TRUERED89

Aye, the goalposts of needing to "prove" himself has continuously been shifted. Spurs away. Arsenal away. Chelsea away. Pool home. PSG in the UCL....no...he's yet to face a "real/big" test.
Ridiculous isn't it, if we lose to Barca they'll all come out with a vengeance, I can see it already..

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
His management team have, so far, put a buzz back into the Red part of Manchester.

Only right that they should be allowed the chance to continue the job.

Smores

Think it was the right time, they'll have wanted to appoint him anyway and if we have a few more bad guys it'd make it tough.

Now get top 4 and let's plan for a title challenge next season

Sylar

Negatives
- Distraction during a crucial top four race
- Too early to know if OGS will cut it at the top level. Could've waited until after the Barca games.
- Weird that he gets the position after two losses in a row. If they had already decided to appoint him, why didn't they announce before? Was there something good in our two losses that they hadn't seen before that tipped the decision? This just further sends out a message that the club rewards failure/mediocrity which is what has been happening with player contracts the last few years.
- If he fails between now and the end of the season, it will cost us more money to sack him. Was there a negative in waiting? It's not like signing him up early saves us any money?

Positives
- No Poch
So heres my take (even though you probably dont care haha)

-I think it might be less distracting for the players now, knowing who they will be playing for not only this season but next. Players like DDG and Herrera may re-sign earlier (as well as Pogba, and rashford with longer term contracts)
-I think they should have done it as soon as international break started (but then they probably wanted this closer to our next game rather than closer to our FA cup loss).

The negative in waiting might be early discussions with transfer targets (with no DoF in place). I would be weary of signing for a club not knowing who the manager is going to be next season given the potential new manager might not like you (even though the current one does). I reckon (and am hoping) we are looking into that now (and possibly even before with the sale of Fellaini in January)

GBBQ

Absolutely deserved regardless of how the season ends. We've been fun to watch and already had some memorable performances.

Even if we tail off this season we should hold off on the pitchforks until we see how well he does with a team more of his own making and thats got to be at least 3 transfer windows away.

deadrevelz

I said it would happen before Molde started their new season (31st March). :)

Very happy, now it's time for Woodward to sort everything else out at the club.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Good luck to the 3rd manager United have appointed before David Moyes 6 year deal was up.

ColvaleGoa

Great News. It was only a matter of time.

Now let's tie up De Gea and Pogba and spend wisely this transfer window.

Also what happened to " DOF will be appointed before a permanent Manager is in place"?:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.