Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonothom

Holy shite that's 18% win rate or something.

Even counting his honeymoon period. His win rate is a total of 46%. :lol:

But it's alright, we got a draw against Liverpool at home after a decent performance so everything is moving on in a good way I guess. We're starting to finally inherit the mentality of midtable clubs.
Absolutely right. 14th place as we speak. Ole continues to spout about building for the future and playing the youth. That future will be as a Championship club if he's left in charge for the rest of the season.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
The sanctimonious zeal from some of the 'Ole in' posters does get quite irritating. I respect wherever you sit on the fence regarding this debate, but the hysterical manner of some of the posts; crowing about a good OGS tactical display like it's the D-day victory and using it as leverage to pile up as much shame as possible on anyone who doesn't think OGS is the right manager for Utd, is a bit much. Is the rest of the context to be ignored because of one half decent display?

As other posters have pointed out, these are the kind of tactics Roy Hodgson has been using for years, doesn't mean they're suited to a football club that is expecting to compete at an elite level.
There's extremism on both sides. I would think the truth is somewhere in the middle.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
The difference is Ferguson had earned the right for patience by winning 3 league titles, 5 domestic cups, a European Cup Winner's Cup and Super Cup with Aberdeen.
No doubt. OGS has also won some relatively top prizes in his managerial career so far, and we hope he can also leverage his winning experiences as a player into his managerial career.

I'm not saying thats right, or that he can, but that is the thinking. I think we will have to have the patience to see this out, and so whipping up angst is just a futile exercise.

FerociousCorgis

Idk i just can't get behind the idea of Ole being the right man for this job. Everything comes back to his new manager bounce and his playing career as his qualifications. Just imagine had someone said when that season started "Hey, let's fire Mou and bring in Ole." They would be ridiculously ridiculed. Even with his new manager bounce form his overall form is one of the worst we've had here. 2 points off relegation, and 3 points off 19th. Guess his best hope is to rip off at least 3 or 4 league wins out of the next 5. Anything else and he has to go. The schedule is pretty straightforward and easy in that run for the league games. The pool game for me just seemed to be a mid table team sitting back and trying to get what they can on the break, then just holding on for dear life in the 2nd. Hopefully martial and pogba come back, and we get the heck away from this stupid 4-2-3-1

el3mel

No doubt. OGS has also won some relatively top prizes in his managerial career so far, and we hope he can also leverage his winning experiences as a player into his managerial career.

I'm not saying thats right, or that he can, but that is the thinking. I think we will have to have the patience to see this out, and so whipping up angst is just a futile exercise.
He won some silverware in a no name league as Norway. That can't be compared with SAF winning 2 European trophies with Aberdeen. On the top level, Ole is simply a no name and nothing manager. After he left Cardiff he couldn't get a job in PL again till we hired him.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
He won some silverware in a no name league as Norway. That can't be compared with SAF winning 2 European trophies with Aberdeen. On the top level, Ole is simply a no name and nothing manager. After he left Cardiff he couldn't get a job in PL again till we hired him.
yadda yadda yadda ... knock yourself out!

I said OGS achievements were relative, but they are still achievements and worthy experience.

I also said
I'm not saying thats right, or that he can, but that is the thinking. I think we will have to have the patience to see this out, and so whipping up angst is just a futile exercise

el3mel

yadda yadda yadda ... knock yourself out!

I said OGS achievements were relative, but they are still achievements and worthy experience.

I also said
They aren't relatively too though. These are trophies no one cares about bar people in Norway.

Mate, the comparison with SAF from the start that you made in a replay to another poster is totally wrong full stop. I don't know why people keep bringing SAF when discussing a failed manager. Fergie had more pedigree when he came, and was more successful, just because it worked once with a freak kind of manager that never got repeated again in history it doesn't mean it's going to work with every manager who fails earlier.

Let's leave Fergie out of this please.

AlwaysRed66

Gary Neville talks out of his arse. His 'striker comments' yesterday were ridiculous. Souness was the one actually talking sense. As for Ole's tactical masterclass against Liverpool, Mourinho was employing similar defensive tactics against the big 6 in his time and was getting slaughtered by the fanbase. Ole does it and its a great performance. The hipocrosy is laughable.
Chris Wilder has had consecutive masterclasses against Liverpool & Arsenal if that is the case. Any fool can put 10 men behind the ball, but it is a good manager who can play on the front foot & win with perhaps not the best players. In this, Frank Lampard & Eddie Howe need to be given more credit than they are given.

I too watched that debate on Sky, & agree Souness talked lots of sense, but so in fairness did Mourinho & Keane. The only one talking nonsense was Gary Neville.

Giggsyking

How long are we going to wait until he gets the boots? 14 is his actual managerial level after 9 games in the league.

Enigma_87

You know who
Apart from the gratuitously snide 'hiding' bit. Whether Ole is hiding or not, it's a typically bitter comment from poor old Jose who never gets any credit ever.
I was talking about the particular quote, not the whole interview. The planning was shite and definitely whoever came up with that idea and condoned it should be given a good wobble.

Robbie Boy

I could literally read every single post in this thread and I doubt I would be able to find one single valid reason to keep him. All I see is fluffed up excuses and people being totally and utterly in denial about just how bad a job he’s doing.

George The Best

That’s a joke surely? Replace ‘managerial’ with ‘playing’ and it makes some sense. He’s done FA as a manager at this level.

Enigma_87

You know who
I could literally read every single post in this thread and I doubt I would be able to find one single valid reason to keep him. All I see is fluffed up excuses and people being totally and utterly in denial about just how bad a job he’s doing.
Well, when a draw at OT gives you more time it speaks volumes about the intent and ambition of the owners...

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Well, when a draw at OT gives you more time it speaks volumes about the intent and ambition of the owners...
Not just the board and manager. When a draw at OT has fans posting about the manager being a “misunderstood genius” and “having a world class day” making the away manager whose team is first and 15 points ahead of ours look like a kindergarten manager. Then you know the intent of ambition of the board and current manager has infected some fans

izec

The game suited Ole. Liverpool at OT are generally poor the last few years, so it was an easy game for our game raisers. Ole's real masterclass will be revealed by a boring draw to Partizan followed up by a loss next weekend away to Norwich.

Mourinho is tactically miles ahead of Ole and showed it more often, but if you are a defensive and boring manager all the time, and cant coach the players to attack, you wont go far. Ole is out of his depth.

hn4manunited

What a crap show we are. Sitting in 14th place with everyone (except City and Liverpool) above us being super average this season!

mu4c_20le

I see some people are barely able to contain their disappointment that we didn't get trashed yesterday because it gave Ole more time

AFC NimbleThumb

If this guy could manage to defend a lead we’d be sitting pretty in the top4.

The ‘quality’ of this league is so overstated.

Mainoldo

If this guy could manage to defend a lead we’d be sitting pretty in the top4.

The ‘quality’ of this league is so overstated.
Ain’t that the truth. We could sack him and still probably make top 4. Modern day la Liga. Except we are the Valencia. Probably why Gary loves our new philosophy so much.

Kemizee

With martial back and hopefully Pogba back next shortly, we need to get maximum points againt Norwich and Bournemouth. That should take us closer to top 6. Lots of teams are going to lose points to lesser teams this year.
Will you be surprised if we don't?

RUCK4444

Again with the pages and pages of Ole bashing without a single suggestion of who we should bring in.

Just sack him and hope for the best is it lads? That’s really how golden era’s are built eh

People now even preaching how good Jose was! He would have been fecked the same as Ole with the injuries and a team full of kids.

I don’t necessarily think he’s the guy for the job but pointless sacking him right now and changing to another stop gap has been manager.

The next manager, if not Ole, HAS to be the right one but the board and Ed need changing in order to see any long term improvement.

I don’t see many preaching Ole is the next SAF but patient fans are entitled to have their opinion to stick and see how the season goes when players are back from injury.

We should have won yesterday, they are the in form team in Europe and we were the better team for the majority. Ole deserves at least some credit doing that with the injuries and thin squad. The same way he deserves bashing when we play awful, it goes both ways.

Last edited:

Kemizee

Another one is the idea that he's tactically clueless. I'll give him credit for our strong defence this season (bar a few individual errors which you can hardly blame the manager for). Yesterday's game also shows his flexibility in taking a different tactical approach when needed, and successfully so.

The obvious issue is that we are far from creating enough chances at the moment. Let's see how this improves with Pogba and Martial coming back.
Both of them played together a long time before their respective injuries and we were still shit. Pogba wants out of the club and Martial's body language when he is not in the mood leaves much to be desired. A lot of people will be disappointed to have pinned their hopes on them reviving us.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Both of them played together a long time before their respective injuries and we were still shit. Pogba wants out of the club and Martial's body language when he is not in the mood leaves much to be desired. A lot of people will be disappointed to have pinned their hopes on them reviving us.
I don't get how so many have short memories. As you said, they've played many times in this poor run since Ole got made permanent. Hell we actually achieved another decent performance against the odds last season vs PSG and people were saying the exact same then. "We should only get better when Pogba is back", but it didn't work out that way at all. He came back at the same time our season imploded once again.

Grande

This narrative of him being clueless is lazy criticism. I trust the judgement of someone who's lived and breathed professional football for 30 years over armchair tacticians who are demanding Angel Gomes start in every prematch thread.

Moyes philosophy was to get to the line and cross. He removed vital back room staff, failed to motivate his team with bizarre training routines and poor man management, and chased targets who were either unobtainable or unneeded, sometimes both. Could we describe him as clueless. I dont think so. Old fashioned, unprepared and maybe ill advised, but a man with his career isn't clueless on how to manage a football club.

LVG, to his credit turned us in the right direction but didn't back up his possession orientated philosophy with the right signings. In fact, some of his signings directly contradicted the method he wanted to implement and stifled our progress into becoming a possesion based team.

Jose never really settled on a philosophy, as is his pragmatic way. But the football was often dull and our most memorable tactics where using Fellaini to either bully back posters or break up the play on the edge of our area to shutdown a game. His downfall was poor man management, (which almost resulted in squad mutiny) and attempting to force questionable short sighted transfer business.

In comparison, Ole and his staff do have a method of playing despite what 'armchair tacticians' say. He has backed up this method with his transfer business and team selections. And he has maintained the support of the his staff and sqaud despite a poor run in form.

He's not a master tactician, and that's not what we need at the moment. We just need someone to take the wheel and steer us in the right direction. I'm still convinced hes on track to do that and I'm genuinely looking forward to our full strength squad returning. We can replace him with a real tactician later down the line
Many good points.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Because I pointed out a manager should be judged based on his ability rather than passion/love for the club? Alright. There's always a straw to clutch when it comes to the Ole lovers.
No, because of your reply. I notice how you ignored Ron Atkinson. Fergie took years to create his dominating sides, he almost got the sack too. As I said before, United do not have a god given right to win. All I ask is they challenge and do so with style and commitment. Your comments disregard the history and ethos of this club as it has always built rather than bought. Mourinho and LvG were two of the greatest managers in the world and where did they get us?

Ole may not be the best but he has a true love for this club and he should be given a fair chance. So far he has massively improved the defence, bought three very exciting players and he has got rid of some overpriced dead wood in Lukaku and Sanchez. He's also giving the youngsters a chance and trying to get United back playing a fast attacking style. The trouble is the modern football fans want to see galacticos, £100m transfers for every position and to win at all costs, they don't afford time and expect it all instantly. Yes I agree Ole is inexperienced and yes I agree he's making mistakes BUT his ethos is spot on and I can see what he's trying to do. He knows and loves United and knows how the club should be run and how the football should be played. The disrespect Ole gets is disgusting imho. Personally though I wish he hadn't taken the job as his legacy could be tarnished and he doesn't deserve that.

RG 11

No, because of your reply. I notice how you ignored Ron Atkinson. Fergie took years to create his dominating sides, he almost got the sack too. As I said before, United do not have a god given right to win. All I ask is they challenge and do so with style and commitment. Your comments disregard the history and ethos of this club as it has always built rather than bought. Mourinho and LvG were two of the greatest managers in the world and where did they get us?

Ole may not be the best but he has a true love for this club and he should be given a fair chance. So far he has massively improved the defence, bought three very exciting players and he has got rid of some overpriced dead wood in Lukaku and Sanchez. He's also giving the youngsters a chance and trying to get United back playing a fast attacking style. The trouble is the modern football fans want to see galacticos, £100m transfers for every position and to win at all costs, they don't afford time and expect it all instantly. Yes I agree Ole is inexperienced and yes I agree he's making mistakes BUT his ethos is spot on and I can see what he's trying to do. He knows and loves United and knows how the club should be run and how the football should be played. The disrespect Ole gets is disgusting imho. Personally though I wish he hadn't taken the job as his legacy could be tarnished and he doesn't deserve that.
I don't support continuing with Ole as the manager but this is a good post and sound reasoning for backing him. Something a lot of Ole supporters seem to be lacking.

croadyman

So frustrating that he took until the 84th minute to make the first sub against Liverpool,yes I realise we haven't got any midfield options but surely Martial should have got longer to make an impact.

I know they are different situations and it didn't work for them but look how quickly Poch & Emery made changes. Ole simply has to be more proactive during games.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We just drew against Liverpool at home. Reason enough for a contract extension IMO.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Just realised we are already 7 points off 4th place just 9 games into the season.

Next 4 are all easy games on paper. So I suppose we could bring ourselves back in the running after them. But I just can't see any potential of a top manager in Ole.

Eric7C

Just realised we are already 7 points off 4th place just 9 games into the season.

Next 4 are all easy games on paper. So I suppose we could bring ourselves back in the running after them. But I just can't see any potential of a top manager in Ole.
We are merely game-raising cnuts though:
8 points against Chelsea, Leicester, Arsenal & Liverpool.
2 against Wolves, CP, Southampton, West Ham & Newcastle.

I'll be surprised if we are not farther away by the end of these 4 games.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
He's right though. Ole is hiding behind the kids. It's a cop out. By Ole leaving the squad so short of experience in the summer, he's essentially saying results right now don't matter. Why are there serious links of us panic buying Mandžukić or an experienced striker in January then? He was available in the summer but we rejected him. Oh that's right, because Ole is in danger of losing his job.

People love to defend Ole's decision of allowing most of the experienced players leave without being replaced, thus putting his faith in kids by pointing to SAF putting all his faith in Rooney & Ronaldo, letting RVN go etc, (Neville tried to use that very point in the video above).

But the fact of the matter is, SAF never put himself in a position where he solely relied on kids. That season in 2006/07, he brought in 33 year old Solskjaer & 36 year old Larsson. I'm sure he had an idea about what Jose was talking about.

We also still had 28 year old Saha & 25 year old Smith. Look at the rest of that squad; 36 VDS, 33 Giggs, 32 Scholes, 31 Neville, 28 Heinze & Ferdinand, 25 year old Park, Carrick & Evra. Absolute ton's of experience still.

That's how you develop young talents whilst not dropping your standards.
FFS. What he did was needed. The squad was bloated with overpaid, old and simply not good enough players and it still is to some extent. Buying fecking Mandžukić who is 33 by the way and has never played in the PL is exactly the kind of short termism that got us into this mess. Getting him in January, now that would be a cop out, because that means he would sacrificees the long term plan in favor of short term solutions that has only caused us problems the last 6 years

The comparison with Fergie is not even appels and oranges, its apples and attack helicopters. Fergie by then had been here for decades, and had loads of time to craft his squads and find a good balance between youth and experience. Ole has had exactly 1 window to try and make something out of this mess of a squad. This summer, 99% of United supporters agreed that the squad was full of deadwood that needed to be cleared out. He started that process and somehow its a "cop out". Jesus.

Lukaku and Fellaini might have proved useful this season, but if you look back to May this year you can see nearly everyone wanted them gone. Smalling have been here for ages and have never taken the necessary step up. Hes a decent enough defender, but his handling of the ball is some of the worst i've seen from a pro footballer and a massive disadvantage in this age of high pressing. Darmian and Sanchez? They were about as useful as tits on a bull. Imagine comparing this lot with the likes of Scholes, Giggs, Ferdinand, Carrick and Evra

Let me ask you a rhetorical question. Would you rather end up 12th two season in a row and then have a squad that is capable of challenging for the league two-three years from now, or would you rather keep on as we have done under LvG and Jose, and get top 6 consistently because you keep filling the squad with stop gap solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.