Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ainu

A new defeat and everyone is back at the Ole out thing.
It's like children wanting their gift on the 23rd of December.
Plenty of people on here have consistently been saying it for a while now, based on almost a year's worth of evidence.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I was on the fence before and after the spurs and city games. I like any normal fan enjoyed those results. I wanted to believe ole could turn this around. Let's be honest he cant.

I'm not sure how any other manager will do coming in but he must be on thin ice with this result. Simply not good enough. I am an electrician and if I was that bad at fixing faults I would be out. He didnt fix our faults at half time and wasnt quick enough to make changes. His in game fault finding is atrocious.

He got brilliant results at spurs and city and he should take plaudits for that but he has to take the rough with the smooth. For me he should go tonight. I know he wont and maybe that will turn out to be the correct decision by people who know a lot more than me, we shall see.
If I were hiring electricians I'd think otherwise. This fella wasn't at fault for bad wiring and missing tools, plus it's clear that 'better' electricians have the same issues. I'd rather fix the system for him before him as well.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
This will be the most painful managerial tenure because it will be a slow death.

Tony247

So basically we cannot win unless a team throws bodies in around our box. Then we can counter and win. But if a team is defending, waiting for us to attack then it can choke us to death.

And manager and his coaching staff cannot come up with a solution after more than two dozen games.

Ban

He has to go I'm afraid but new manager won't solve our problems if Ed will be tight with money again.

Hoof the ball

A new defeat and everyone is back at the Ole out thing.
It's like children wanting their gift on the 23rd of December.
Back?

The forums have been posting since time immemorial regarding our issues being related to breaking teams down who put men behind the ball, rather than in front of the ball. We got some great results against Spurs and City, however, that only validated further people's opinions, since it was no coincidence that we beat the two quality sides who were not afraid to attack in numbers and leave spaces at the back to counter. It has never been a contention here that we struggled against such sides, since we already know that Ole is adept at setting this team up to counter well. It has always been the contention that, quality or otherwise, teams playing behind the ball invariably are more difficult for us to break down since we cannot rely on James and Rashford to attack wide open spaces.

The so called "new defeat" is simply a continuance of prior issues never resolved.

Cantona in disguise

If I were hiring electricians I'd think otherwise. This fella wasn't at fault for bad wiring and missing tools, plus it's clear that 'better' electricians have the same issues. I'd rather fix the system for him before him as well.
I dont want to turn this into an electrical fault finding exercise as I have enough of that daily haha. I was using a context in terms of how I understand life. ( that's a bit deep for a forum isnt it).

He is the variable speed drive to our motor and he didnt give it enough energy. He has to be held responsible for motivation or lack of. He isnt responsible for individual errors. He is responsible for the lack of patterns of play. We could guess what goes on in training every day if we want but it wont get us far as we dont know. However something is very wrong.

Ignore the shambles of a set up above ole just concentrate on the pitch issues. His main job is to get them ticking week in week out. He seems to be only able to get them up for the big games, or is that the players being massive game raisers?

AndyMUFC

We're fecking infuriating. Something has to be done about the ridiculously passive attitude that we decide to adopt in these games. It was nothing to do with breaking teams down today.

Son

The talent is there and the squad needs improving and I am Ole In but he needs to seriously work hard on the mental fragility of this group of players. Just like after PSG and now post Spurs/City, the players have taken their eye off the ball and thought they’d done enough. Players need to switch on every game.
The talent isn't there though is it. If Pogba is not on the field we have a ton of kick and run footballers with low football IQ. PSG and City have footballers who have quality on the ball. McTomminay for example is a lot of things but quality on the ball is not one of them. We need players who can control a game, apart from Pogba we have zero. De Gea is void since we shouldn't ever be relying on a GK.

Players with top level talent:
Pogba
Rashford
Greenwood

Maguire (In a dominant setup)
Wan Bisska (Hard to see him wanted by any top side due to his lack of quality but defensively he's an animal)

Thats it.

Cloud7

This will be the most painful managerial tenure because it will be a slow death.
I’d say it’s more pointless than anything else. It’s plain to see that Ole and whatever he’s trying to do isn’t good enough, while at the same time we have enough quality to eke out results every now and then just to prolong things.

In the end, he’s going to end up being replaced, but we aren’t going to be much better than we were when he took over, and it will have just been a long period of wasted time for everyone.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
The talent is there and the squad needs improving and I am Ole In but he needs to seriously work hard on the mental fragility of this group of players. Just like after PSG and now post Spurs/City, the players have taken their eye off the ball and thought they’d done enough. Players need to switch on every game.
Yea i would kind of concur. Certain players need to be shown the door. Lingard for one. Not sure we can rely on Martial either to do it 50 games a season.

We need MFs as well. If Pogba goes then we need a ten.

Shaw is another one who is suspect.

Wanderlust_09

Under Ole, we will be a half decent counter attacking team at best. whatever squad he has at his disposal.
If we are aiming for a 7th-12th place finish, keep Ole.
He is clearly not qualified enough the improve our attacking play. We need a better manager. The whole thing about 'getting the club' is over-rated. Had it been any other manager who was not a former Utd legend who has had the same tenure, signings and results as Ole has had, everyone would have turned against him by this time.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Says a lot when an our Utd board have been 'looking' for a Director of Football for 18 months with no success, appointed Ole as a 'temporary' manager while they looked for someone permanent, failed at that so gave Ole the job permanently, yet an experienced Champions League, League, and Cup winning manager like Ancelotti can be signed by Everton within hours, and Pochettino is in Saudi Arabia smoking a shisha waiting for his phone to ring while we lose to the worst team in the league.

Woodward out, Ole out.
It's not like we've sacked and hired someone before.

HackeyC

I'm not really sure how where this myth of tight with money is coming from. I get people are critical of how the money is being spent, but in terms of the amount I'm struggling. We have spent a fortune, just not effectively in all areas.

Ban

I'm not really sure how where this myth of tight with money is coming from. I get people are critical of how the money is being spent, but in terms of the amount I'm struggling. We have spent a fortune, just not effectively in all areas.
Last summer we were tight.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
We're fecking infuriating. Something has to be done about the ridiculously passive attitude that we decide to adopt in these games. It was nothing to do with breaking teams down today.
You're right, Watford showed equally as much attacking intent as we did this afternoon, more even, so we can't use the 'we struggle against the low block teams' because it doesn't apply today. The problem we have is our players seem incapable of self-motivating/gearing themselves up for the occasion, regardless of its significance. They pick and choose when and where to perform at their discretion.

The pedestrian way we approach our games is shameful. I don't know if it's a management/coaching problem or whether the players simply don't care enough to put the effort in, but one way or another it needs to be identified and stamped out. These lads are performing like a bunch of overpaid primadonnas without a care in the world, and then hiding behind the manager, Ole, who is the one held solely accountable for all the problems at the club right now.

Not acceptable. Ole is out of his depth, that's fairly obvious at this point, but I don't like the idea of the players getting off scot-free after they performed to an equally low standard under LVG and Jose.

Joseunited

Ole wasn't at fault for DDG's howler. He wasn't at fault for a rare AWB mistake. He wasn't at fault for McFred looking terrified today. He wasn't at fault for Lingard's Welbeck-vs-Neuer moment. Let's be clear on that - that was on the individual players, a lack of leadership and composure from a bunch of kids.

He was, however, at fault for failing to motivate the side effectively. He was responsible for being in a situation where he can't drop Lingard or Shaw. He was responsible for not making subs earlier, and most of all, for not making his presence felt on the touchline when the players were in meltdown. To just tell them to get their shit together. It was infuriating to watch him and his staff sit like statues watching the young players lose it mentally in face of the away support and grit and maturity from players like Deeney and Deulofeu.

I don't think he should be sacked on the basis of this. Let's see how the team looks after a transfer window and with Pogba back with a run of games.
Good post but why wait for a transfer window and Pogba back when,he'll basically still do everything that you said in your second paragraph?

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
The amount of flip flop fans is hilarious.

Also, seems a lot of you all want short term success over long term stability and success.

If you want short term success, shouldve stuck with Mourinho.....oh wait.

Sure we lost again, but we go again next week.

Entitled fans once again showing their worth.

Wah wah we lost again Ole’s cr@p wah wah

Sack Ole, Bring in Poch, we lose a bunch of games sack poch, bring in someone else.

But hey ho, let’s bring in Red Cafe’s Messiah in Pochettino. He’ll sort this lost out. Won’t he.

Entitled fans are Entitled.

Tel074

Expect that to continue, because we're going to lose at least another 6-10 times this season to crap sides.

It's almost as if some fans have ambition while others just have mindless sentimentality.
Do you not think Liverpool fans had ambition even when Klopp didn't win a trophy for 3 years ? Rome wasnt built in a day . Be patient

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
We now have joint fewest clean sheets with only two, the same as Norwich and Southampton.

We have failed to score ourselves twice as often, four times

Tel074

Also, seems a lot of you all want short term success over long term stability and success.

Sack Ole, Bring in Poch, we lose a bunch of games sack poch, bring in someone else.

But hey ho, let’s bring in Red Cafe’s Messiah in Pochettino. He’ll sort this lost out. Won’t he.

Couldn't agree more ..

AC1689

And moronic fans are moronic. Evidently.

Calling fans, who want our team to succeed and do better than beating 20th placed Watford, entitled, is really something.

Anustart89

The notion that long-term stability has to be preceded by short-term struggles invalidates your entire argument. Why could we not get a good manager in who would be successful in the short term and build on that relative success to go on to do even better things with proper backing and short-term success that would see us being able to get the best up and coming players to join the side?

This is the real world, not a Rocky movie.

Ole's strengths clearly aren't in the tactical department. I think he does the character assessment and motivation side of things relatively well.

His best chance long term may be to defer the tactical stuff to an assistant or two. If he's already doing so, then the ones currently at his disposal aren't up to scratch.

LJJT

Ole's strengths clearly aren't in the tactical department. I think he does the character assessment and motivation side of things relatively well.

His best chance long term may be to defer the tactical stuff to an assistant or two. If he's already doing so, then the ones currently at his disposal aren't up to scratch.
I totally agree with this. Ole has many qualities and is getting certain things right and is a great figure to lead the club forward. We need some one to help him tactically and in games for game management and subs etc etc. A modern day Queiroz is required.

phelan seems marginalised and not involved, Carrick can’t be the answer given his experience and McKenna Is inexperienced

momo83

Massive Snowflake
We now have joint fewest clean sheets with only two, the same as Norwich and Southampton.

We have failed to score ourselves twice as often, four times
He spent £130m strengthening the defence, but like I pointed out in the summer, it’s pointless when you weaken the midfield.

Member 101269

Ole wasn't at fault for DDG's howler. He wasn't at fault for a rare AWB mistake. He wasn't at fault for McFred looking terrified today. He wasn't at fault for Lingard's Welbeck-vs-Neuer moment. Let's be clear on that - that was on the individual players, a lack of leadership and composure from a bunch of kids.

He was, however, at fault for failing to motivate the side effectively. He was responsible for being in a situation where he can't drop Lingard or Shaw. He was responsible for not making subs earlier, and most of all, for not making his presence felt on the touchline when the players were in meltdown. To just tell them to get their shit together. It was infuriating to watch him and his staff sit like statues watching the young players lose it mentally in face of the away support and grit and maturity from players like Deeney and Deulofeu.

I don't think he should be sacked on the basis of this. Let's see how the team looks after a transfer window and with Pogba back with a run of games.
This..

Is Ole at fault for a laid back attitude? is Ole at fault for the laid back v none laid back performances.. Actually, this is about motivating the team, which is down to OGS.

Regardless of the depth of squad which i will not blame Ole for.. If he has the dressing room he'd get them to perform. he hasn't, they don't and Haaland signing is a modern Andy Carol. I'm seriously considering not renewing my two front row south stand season tickets.

Hellboy

Won 10 games in the league as a permanent manager and you people are still defending him. You deserve the shit you're being served every week :lol:

Alabaster Codify7

When Moyes was here, I saw him as a joke figure who was clearly way, way out of his depth. But at no point did I genuinely believe David Moyes was the worst manager in the Premier League at that time - not even remotely close.

I honestly think Ole might be the worst manager in the Premier League right now. This is not an exaggeration, I am truly struggling to name one other PL manager at present that seems to be worse than him. I can also name 4-5 Championship managers that seem to be better than Ole, too. That is terrifying for a club of our stature.

This weird little experiment is going nowhere, Ole is nowhere near good enough to take this team to the next level. By that, I don't mean winning the title either - I mean solidifying ourselves as a top 4 team to begin with. He isnt good enough to achieve that meagre goal, either.

The latest thing to wind me up about Ole, is this weird narrative that's forming about him "changing the culture" at the club.

Well considering our players appear spineless, cowardly and completely lacking in fight, Ole is changing the culture for the worse, not the better. He is a cowardly underdog manager and that approach is rubbing off on an already weak-minded squad of players. I don't think it helps that he's flanked by the silent trio of Phelan, Carrick and Kieran.

Zero leadership from the top down. The club is rotten. I don't see him in the job in January, the next few fixtures look potentially embarrassing.

Denis79

Ole needs to surround himself with more knowledgeable staff. He doesn't know how to set up and play against teams that defend, then get someone who does. We got counters down to an art, now we need to do better against opponents who let us hold the ball. We won't progress if it continues like this. Ole needs to show a mean side and re-structure around him.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Do you not think Liverpool fans had ambition even when Klopp didn't win a trophy for 3 years ? Rome wasnt built in a day . Be patient
If only they hadn’t had sacked Hodgson after 6 months. By now they would have 3 CL and 3 EPL titles.

Cantona in disguise

I find this nearly as bad as the posters insulting ole personally. Daft post with a childish nature. If you want ole to stay that's fine. Football is all about opinions.

There are plenty of overly dramatic posters on both sides of the argument. I was down the middle but today is the result that made me think its time for a change. Does that make me entitled?

It's not good enough and I dont believe ole has enough to make it better. I'd happily be proved wrong. I love ole he gave me one of my greatest footballing memories, doesnt give him a free ride though.

Status
Not open for further replies.