Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

pass.pass.pass

Delighted with that scoreline, especially as it immediately claws back some of the goal difference from the 1-6 nightmare.

Now, for an an assessment of Ole.

Positives:
1. The players are clearly playing for him despite the horror show against Spurs and the unfortunate start to this game. When that OG went in, I thought this team would buckle but it responded. Shows his man-management skills are good.
2. Decision to start Maguire proved to be right. Didn't have much to do defensively but took his goal well and that will do his confidence good.
3. Ole made substitutions relatively early (still a little too late mind). This gave the likes of VDB time to make a significant contribution.
4. Beautiful second goal. This team knows how to counter-attack.

Negatives:
1. Still too reliant on counter-attacks. Despite the large number of shots before the second goal, there weren't many clear cut chances in the box. Build-up play and movement are still mediocre for a team that wants to be at the top.
2. The result doesn't justify some of the selection decisions. Since the end of August last year, James has not shown anything to merit a place in the squad nevermind the starting 11. His decision making is shocking. Never looks up for a teammate. Persisting with him is poor espcially when you have the likes of VDB on the bench. Post-match, Ole also commented that Pogba had some back issues and that is why he had not started. Well, if that is the reason, then Ole cannot be given credit for benching him. And Pogba definitely needs to spend time on the bench.
3. Apart from their tricky Frenchman, Newcastle did not offer much going forward and were not too sound defensively. This game could and should have been wrapped up much before the 90th minute with VDB starting the game in place of McT.

While I still lean towards thinking that Ole will never be a long-term success at the club, there is a possibility that if he acquires better coaches, he could get this team up some levels. At the moment, the jury is still very much out.

Oh, and those questioning fellow fans' right to be critical of a strange team-sheet after a 1-6 shellacking in the previous game will not be dignified with a response.

Last edited:

reelworld

Post-match, Ole also commented that Pogba had some back issues and that is why he had not started. Well, if that is the reason, then Ole cannot be given credit for benching him. And Pogba definitely needs to spend time on the bench.
Yeah like Ole will said that he bench Pogba because he's been playing shite :lol:

Strelok

I'm just glad that he dropped both Matic and Pogba. At least he had realised that this duo would never work and a midfield of Fred and McT is much better. Even if we didn't win I'm still happy with the way we played.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
That is what i want from manager. Use what you have. If you don't have wingers, don't play with them.
I like 352 but diamond with this team would be :drool:
Anyway, brilliant performance. Team selection, formation and above all; changinf formation with Pogba and going for a kill.

Mailo

Spot on with the tactics! Could have been a huge victory, if our strikers were more clinical!

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Apparently senior players are questioning whether he's a top, top, top manager sources say.

saivet

Big credit to him tonight, he got the line up spot on. What was more impressive was him making the change at the right time and changing our shape. We were under a bit of pressure for a period but the Pogba change and we became the better team again.

ArjenIsM3

Absolutely brilliant from Ole tonight. Got everything spot on which is not easy against PSG with your captain and #1 CB out.

The White Pele

Spot on tonight and if the forwards had been a bit sharper we might have made a real statement with the scoreline.

As it is, superb result that gives us a great chance of qualification from a tough group.

el3mel

10/10 tactical management. Outplayed and outsmarted Tuchel in every single category.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Faultless today... dropping Pogba for a huge game away in France, and then winning, was boss moves

We should’ve won by more

Ludens the Red

Got it spot on. Was hoping he’d play a back three with Shaw and Axl and that midfield. Did exactly that. Made the sub at the right time too. Weirdly these games have not been a problem for him so I’m not completely surprised.

Wayne's World

Far too many false dawns to get overly excited with tonight. Great win but let's do this type of performance for the next 6 months and challenge for trophies at the end of the season

admrf

Great decision (in game management) to sub in Pogba to balance the attack better.

It was brilliant, we really need someone to balance the attack together with Bruno. Fred could not do that role - he could not create chance nor made a good passing when when drifting a bit to the right side. Finally, Pogba also rose up in this kind of role, instead of two man midfield with Matic. This tactic may work well in certain situations but I am willing to bet with this tactic against defensive sides too now because we can exploit them with the advanced full back position as well. 2 strikers (Martial, Rashy), 2 advanced wide AM (Bruno, Pogba), and possibly 2 advanced FB (Telles, AWB), 2 DM (Fred, McT).

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
"Sources"....The Sun? :)
I wonder what Miguel Delaney will say about this? At the weekend he was saying we only won cos of counter attacks. He's gotta find a way to bang the Pochettino drum. Tough job tonight.

el3mel

Faultless today... dropping Pogba for a huge game away in France, and then winning, was boss moves

We should’ve won by more
Switching Pogba to a super sub and preferring a more balanced midfield is a masterclass move that needed lots of guts to take and he did it! Now we're much more balanced all over the pitch and Pogba is still here to help in attacking in the dying minutes. Fantastic management.

Like a hyped up version of his normal self tonight.

Very good setup from the off, as usual, and you got the feeling his subs (other than perhaps Pogba) were done to give minutes/rest players rather than effect any real change in the game, also as usual.

pass.pass.pass

Far too many false dawns to get overly excited with tonight. Great win but let's do this type of performance for the next 6 months and challenge for trophies at the end of the season
True. I've been fooled too many times to get too excited just yet. Keep this up against the big teams and start putting some of the mediocre ones to the sword, and then we'll see. The league is there for the taking this season. We have the squad for it.

Full credit for tonight, Ole!

Gasolin

Did the PE teacher starts with 5/3/2, then moved to 4/4/2 diamonds with subs and then again to 4/2/3/1 with subs against another allegedly far superior manager, who had Mbappe, Neymar and Di Maria to play with? But he has no tactical ability? Right?

Anustart89

Happy with the way he’s trying to do the most of what he has at his disposal now as opposed to earlier. I’ve been very critical of his persistence with one formation and just putting the best players on paper in it and hoping for the best. Brave to drop Pogba for the benefit of the team and use him in a much more attacking role in the last two games.

Wayne's World

True. I've been fooled too many times to get too excited just yet. Keep this up against the big teams and start putting some of the mediocre ones to the sword, and then we'll see. The league is there for the taking this season. We have the squad for it.

Full credit for tonight, Ole!
Not even just theleague but I think we are more suited to Champions League football then the league, bar Bayern Munich I don't see anyone else in Europe we should fear.

Robbie Boy

Where did this PE teacher gag come from? One of the unfunniest and non original things I've seen on here.

Water Melon

Hats off to Ole. Fully deserves all the praise he is getting today. Here's hoping it was not just one of those days, but a start of a decent run. I do doubt that Ole is the man, but I would be absolutely delighted if he proves me wrong and puts me on a long-term humble pie diet.

Robbie Boy

If you’re upset by one and didn’t notice the other you’re probably not following the right posters.
It's just overused imo and not really at all funny. I don't really follow any set of supporters, do we not all support the same team ffs :lol:

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Recent high intensity training sessions got players focused, squad decisions spot on.

Two more wins in upcoming matches and we're pretty much set for next stage in so called difficult CL group.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Can even his biggest detractors agree that the football at times we have played under Ole Is the best we have seen post Ferguson?

Status
Not open for further replies.