Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idxomer

Why did he think that James would work against 5 Chelsea defenders when he didn't against Newcastle who weren't really very good defensively and didn't have a good shape in general.

His shit 4-2-3-1 that hasn't worked in ages also didn't make a lot of sense today. Every time he gives us a little hope that he learnt from his mistakes, he goes back to them as quickly as possible.

passing-wind

Rubbish one dimensional coaching. If there's no space behind the opposition defence there's no movement with our scoreline. Solskjaer has absolutely nothing to fall back on if he fails to regalvanise the team this season. Its not even like he has alot to do, top four is easily achieved with the capabilities of this team. We aren't asking for leagues, domestic cups, silverware just to be competitive in the table and in our performances. Useless

Oo0AahCantona

He's not useless, don't flip flop and now all of a sudden saying he's shite after 2 outstanding tactical performances prior.

He got it wrong today, and he needs to bin James. A point against chelsea in the grand scheme of things is fine.

edgecutter

He's not useless, don't flip flop and now all of a sudden saying he's shite after 2 outstanding tactical performances prior.

He got it wrong today, and he needs to bin James. A point against chelsea in the grand scheme of things is fine.
1 from 9 at home is poor whatever way you look at it and I can't see much changing if that's how we continue this season.

Psg was a great result, but that's because they came at us and they are one of very few teams who will do that which suits our style down to the ground.

Oo0AahCantona

1 from 9 at home is poor whatever way you look at it and I can't see much changing if that's how we continue this season.

Psg was a great result, but that's because they came at us and they are one of very few teams who will do that which suits our style down to the ground.
Yeah its not good enough, but on the other hand, we've beaten most of the top sides we've played since he's come in so he clearly knows how to manage against the top teams which is a must, and our away form is outstanding.

Castia

We’re 15th in the league, 2 wins in 5 I’d say it’s the opposite the away win in Paris isn’t disguising our league performances.

people raving about the Newcastle game it was 1-1 at 77 minutes, we played a decent 15 minutes and got the win.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Yeah its not good enough, but on the other hand, we've beaten most of the top sides we've played since he's come in so he clearly knows how to manage against the top teams which is a must, and our away form is outstanding.
We don't play enough big teams in the league. If he doesn't find a way to improve the home form against the lesser teams we will miss out on CL again. Then we are just basically going round in circles. There are more points available against the lesser teams.

Roboc7

Too slow to change his game plan today, picked a negative team and didn’t need to against that Chelsea side.

Oo0AahCantona

We don't play enough big teams in the league. If he doesn't find a way to improve the home form against the lesser teams we will miss out on CL again. Then we are just basically going round in circles. There are more points available against the lesser teams.
I agree but surely the easier problem to fix is beating weaker sides? as opposed to if we had another manager who wins 80% of the games against chaff sides but loses against any top 4 contenders or champions league opponent's? At least with the current evidence we look good against good teams which puts us in good stead for silverware.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I agree but surely the easier problem to fix is beating weaker sides? as opposed to if we had another manager who wins 80% of the games against chaff sides but loses against any top 4 contenders or champions league opponent's? At least with the current evidence we look good against good teams which puts us in good stead for silverware.
The trouble will start if clubs who are supposed challengers just decide to do what Chelsea did today.

Kag

A rare misstep in a big game. James shouldn’t be anywhere near these games and the substitutions ruined our (fleeting) momentum. It doesn’t justify the usual drama, mind you.

I do think Ole has a midfield dilemma. He likes the McTominay/Fred balance but also understands that they’re not really good enough on the ball. He also knows that Pogba should be on the field, however, he isn’t really a balanced fit in the midfield at the moment. He loves what Matic brings to the table in terms of ball retention and composure but also knows that he’s too slow to really pair up with Pogba in a two man midfield.

Our midfield is a conundrum. It’s like we need to amalgamate Matic and Fred/McTominay into the same player to really make it work.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
If Psg game was masterclass (and it was) then today he failed. Wrong formation, wrong lineup and wrong approach.
Why go back with 4231 with so many other options? Why the hell is he so obsessed with that winger formation? Ditch it, ffs. You don't have wingers and it doesn't work. On top of that you have 4 class strikers and 6 pretty good midfielders.
Stop playing with wingers!

Stretender

I am Ole out camp. But tonight he did an awesome job. Beat Newcastle, beat PSG and draw to Chelsea. If you told me last week Ole would achieve that, I would have called you a fool.

We are serious contenders for the title. If people think a draw against a very attacking Chelsea team is an embarrassment, they need to have their heads checked.

For once Ole seems to have got his managerial hat on.We can only get better from this position..

City drew against Westham, we drew against Chelsea. Somehow, the media and most of Red Cafe will call this a failure by Ole and an achievement by Pep and a masterclass by Lampard.

My God some of our fans need to get into the real world. This is not playstation football. This is the English premier league.

James Peril

15th after five games, I just want Manchester United back, I’m tired of this underdog story. We set up like we’re Everton or Wolves, very good teams on their own, but we have a 400m team on the pitch and we should not play like this at home to Chelsea. It seems Solskjær struggles so much to create offensive patterns he sets us up defensively, knowing we are less likely to concede and somewhat likely to score ourselves. That doesn’t work long-term sunny.

dal

Five games people five games I guarantee you we will be in the mixer for the title come feb/March. Patience.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
15th after five games, I just want Manchester United back, I’m tired of this underdog story. We set up like we’re Everton or Wolves, very good teams on their own, but we have a 400m team on the pitch and we should not play like this at home to Chelsea. It seems Solskjær struggles so much to create offensive patterns he sets us up defensively, knowing we are less likely to concede and somewhat likely to score ourselves. That doesn’t work long-term sunny.
Only some "die hard" fans can't see it. Journos, pundits, other managers, oppo fans saw that long time ago.
Today there was a long article (not on English so i can't post it) with detailed stats which show how is he in fact (i quote) poor man's Mourinho.
This is not the way forward. He said many times that he knows what United is and then by setting us as underdogs in every bigger game he does quite opposite. That is not United

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
@Stretender A fair post. Also home advantage is barely a thing until fans are back. So far in the PL this season 33% home wins, 46% away.

shahzy

This whole 'tactical' performances quip is so overblown. The fact of the matter is Solskjaer doesn't know how to set up a team to function if they aren't counter attacking.

Opposition either through stupidity or because they actually have players that want to play and score goals will invariably move forwards and leave space behind. Ie: leave space behind for Solskjaer's counter attacks.

If an opposition decide to attack less either through conscious decision or through just ineptitude ie: the players aren't good enough to keep the ball and therefore lose the ball straight away. These teams end up sitting back and leaving no space behind. Solskjaer team draw these games ever single time.

There's no 'tactical masterclass' at play when beating PSG because that same 'tactical masterclass' is used irrespective of opposition. It's not tactics, it's just the only way he knows how to set up a team. I doubt you can go through a whole season and win anything of note playing this brand of football without other coaches noticing and adjusting their tactics against Solskjaer and rendering Utd toothless

owlo

Held back after the psg game, will hold back after this as well
Ditto. I've been Ole out from before he got the job full time, but I'm just not sure now. Probably still Ole out, but not sure if replacing him right now is the smartest move.

I really hate how he treats some players and favours others though.

Idxomer

This whole 'tactical' performances quip is so overblown. The fact of the matter is Solskjaer doesn't know how to set up a team to function if they aren't counter attacking.

Opposition either through stupidity or because they actually have players that want to play and score goals will invariably move forwards and leave space behind. Ie: leave space behind for Solskjaer's counter attacks.

If an opposition decide to attack less either through conscious decision or through just ineptitude ie: the players aren't good enough to keep the ball and therefore lose the ball straight away. These teams end up sitting back and leaving no space behind. Solskjaer team draw these games ever single time.

There's no 'tactical masterclass' at play when beating PSG because that same 'tactical masterclass' is used irrespective of opposition. It's not tactics, it's just the only way he knows how to set up a team. I doubt you can go through a whole season and win anything of note playing this brand of football without other coaches noticing and adjusting their tactics against Solskjaer and rendering Utd toothless
Great post, people still don't understand how matchups work.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Couldn’t agree more.

The most infuriating aspect of Solskjaer’s tenure, IMO. Furthermore, it’s not like the ‘favourites’ are pulling up any trees either. Rashford, Maguire, Martial, De Gea et al regularly throw in 5/10 performances but are automatics every single week.

Nauseating for supporters; God knows how the substitutes bench and extended squad feel about it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This game was so annoying for me. Last weekend made the right subs to turn a mediocre performance into a good win in the end and a good performance after subs. Midweek gets it spot on with lineup and subs and tactics. Then instead of pushing on, we go back to the team that played like shit for the most part against Newcastle? It killed our momentum. I wasn't saying go 4231 and same lineup as Spurs, but playing Mata and Dan James was just a pure waste of time for as long as they were out there. They plain and simple have no business being on the pitch in important games when we have actual quality options who are fit and waiting.

Missed chance to build on the momentum, end the bad home form, get in front of some big teams in the table and put the start behind us. Instead, Ole's shit selection cost us 2 points (and gifted a point to Chelsea). Was just cowardly tactics to start, until he realized after an hour that Chelsea in fact will do feck all today.

Godfather

Couldn't agree more. Some fans take longer to realise this. Can't blame them though as Ole is concerned but de good results against decent teams won't be enough if we fail to deliver in games we should win.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Couldn’t agree more.

The most infuriating aspect of Solskjaer’s tenure, IMO. Furthermore, it’s not like the ‘favourites’ are pulling up any trees either. Rashford, Maguire, Martial, De Gea et al regularly throw in 5/10 performances but are automatics every single week.

Nauseating for supporters; God knows how the substitutes bench and extended squad feel about it.
Who should be starting ahead of Rashford or Martial? Ighalo and James? You’re right nobody should be guaranteed a starting berth which is why he’s tried to sign Haaland and Sancho. Hopefully now with Cavani and Mata’s resurgence we’ll be able to pick on form a bit more and push everyone up a level but tbh 5/10 Rashford and Martial are still better than most of the alternatives. I don’t think he’s afraid to drop players, he’s dropped Pogba because we do have actual depth in midfield which has allowed him to do so.

On another note Palace aside Rashford has been our best player this season so I don’t really know why people are asking for him to be dropped in the first place.

Kajus

I am Ole out camp. But tonight he did an awesome job. Beat Newcastle, beat PSG and draw to Chelsea. If you told me last week Ole would achieve that, I would have called you a fool.

We are serious contenders for the title. If people think a draw against a very attacking Chelsea team is an embarrassment, they need to have their heads checked.

For once Ole seems to have got his managerial hat on.We can only get better from this position..

City drew against Westham, we drew against Chelsea. Somehow, the media and most of Red Cafe will call this a failure by Ole and an achievement by Pep and a masterclass by Lampard.

My God some of our fans need to get into the real world. This is not playstation football. This is the English premier league.
You think that we are serious contenders for the title and yet you still say you are Ole out. How does that work, do you think a better manager would be automatically granted the title without competing or...?

Kajus

Couldn’t agree more.

He continuously dropped Pogba. That literally destroys your whole argument.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I just get frustrated by his love of a single formation when we have had as many good performances in a 4231 as the different formations like a 352 or more recently a subbed on diamond.

I'm perfectly fine with having defensive fullbacks - but why not tell them to do the defensive duties and focus on playing a strong attack?

Why not just bombard the opposition with attacking players to deal with?

I see teams panicking when we have 4 of Bruno, Pogba, Van De Beek, Mata, Fred on the pitch at the same time - yet we never seem to start a game that way in a way that utilises everybody well.

We are too defensive and the 4231 puts the defensive duties on our midfield which isolates the attack which is even more of an issue when our attack isnt coordinated.

I've realised that 4231 is my most hated formation. I hated it under Jose, I hate it under Ole and I hate it under Pochettino with me liking his 352 season much more as entertainment.

Stretender

@Stretender A fair post. Also home advantage is barely a thing until fans are back. So far in the PL this season 33% home wins, 46% away.
Exactly my friend. This is Chelsea not Westham.

If you see the reaction online Pep is being praised and Ole is being condemned.

Now tell me who played against Westham or Chelsea tonight?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
This game was so annoying for me. Last weekend made the right subs to turn a mediocre performance into a good win in the end and a good performance after subs. Midweek gets it spot on with lineup and subs and tactics. Then instead of pushing on, we go back to the team that played like shit for the most part against Newcastle? It killed our momentum. I wasn't saying go 4231 and same lineup as Spurs, but playing Mata and Dan James was just a pure waste of time for as long as they were out there. They plain and simple have no business being on the pitch in important games when we have actual quality options who are fit and waiting.

Missed chance to build on the momentum, end the bad home form, get in front of some big teams in the table and put the start behind us. Instead, Ole's shit selection cost us 2 points (and gifted a point to Chelsea). Was just cowardly tactics to start, until he realized after an hour that Chelsea in fact will do feck all today.
Dan James I agree but not only was Mata one of our better players today, we looked a fair bit worse after he came off the pitch (which is impressive considering we were effectively playing with 10 men before that)... So he totally justified starting this game.

If Mata had been left on and VdB/Pogs/Mason had come on to accompany him we would have been a lot better then we were I would venture

Last edited:

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Ditto. I've been Ole out from before he got the job full time, but I'm just not sure now. Probably still Ole out, but not sure if replacing him right now is the smartest move.

Not entirely sure what you mean. He has to pick a team. Who's he favouring? Fred? McTom? Dan James? Is it the treatment of Pogba you're concerned about?

Morpheus 7

Team selection and consistency are a massive issue. You can't preform at PSG and select this side against Chelsea days later, it's so frustrating. Rotating is fine but you need to start better players to freshen things up, especially against Chelsea. Every football fan knows Dan James shouldn't have started today. Then you have Mata playing the opposite side, makes no sense tactically. You look at Donny not getting a start again. In fact you look at the subs tonight, questions need to be asked.

Tonight was my turning point. You can't trust the board, this team and manager. 7 points from 5 games is awful, not performing at home. Another crap start to a season under Ole, we can blame fatigue preseason ect.. In the end it's getting the most out of what we have. Ole was let down in the Summer but he's not getting the most out of the players here. We are not progressing properly. Losing to Palace at but home then beating PSG away shortly after. It's time for a fresh start unfortunately, I honestly hate changing manager. The sad truth is that we can't win a major honour with Ole, in my opinion. I've been behind Ole and loved him as a player but just feel we are going in circles. The erratic nature of systems and performances have taken it's toll. After the restart I felt he was finally finding a system with the front 3 and midfield. It's all other the place with more questions again. I've wanted him to prove me wrong so much but the doubt has grew. The reality is we are capable of a big scalp, but a horrifying low in performance against poor teams.

I would bring in Poch now and see where we go. It guarantees nothing, it's a risk but I think we will reach the end of the season with similar problems under Ole. Being left with questions and few answers and ultimately progress. It's the smoothest transition to go for an attacking manager. This isn't based on today, the reality is we are delaying the inevitable. The sentimentality of a legend managing us has given too many exceptions. We wouldn't accept this under Jose, LVG or anyone else. It's not good enough or consistent in approach or conviction.

Status
Not open for further replies.