Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anustart89

Obviously he's made the difference in a bad way, and just goes to show what impact a sub-par coach can have on a team's fortunes. No, he didn't make Martial miss those chances, but he could've taken him off instead of just hoping he'd suddenly discover his finishing touch, especially with Greenwood on the bench.

DickDastardly

Those not saying this is on our manager, take a looong and hard look.

It's a mistake. A rookie one to be fair. He is a rookie in this job, so we'll give him the benefit of the doubt. But it's just constantly happening again and again.
These rookie mistakes are just soooo obvious.

You just have to be crazy to think that the ref isn't going to look at the incidents from the first half!
I'll bet everybody was in his face, LOOK AT IT!!!! YOU should have sent him off! And they were right.

Fred had not ONE, but TWO letoffs.

Yet, Ole leaves him on. Trying to be the clever guy in the room. Well, that worked out well didn't it.

I bet the ref was like "what the feck, this fecker is still on the pitch?!?" "Ole didn't take him out??" First touch and he's out.

And just like that, he's out.

Overcrowd the mid, get Mason on, leave Cavani on. Score a counter goal and go 2-1 up, and it's done and dusted.
It was paved....they were on the ropes. The bird was in the hand. Just make a smart change.
YOU HAVE 5 changes FFS!!!! AAAAAAaaaaah!!!

Gasolin

Obviously he's made the difference in a bad way, and just goes to show what impact a sub-par coach can have on a team's fortunes. No, he didn't make Martial miss those chances, but he could've taken him off instead of just hoping he'd suddenly discover his finishing touch, especially with Greenwood on the bench.
Greenwood had the same prb gainst Southampton ffs. What is it? Martial is a proven player. Greenwood is only 19. We had no guarantee that Greenwood would find his finishing boots or not today, it's harder to gauge.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
One of Ole's worst performances of the season. At 1-1 all we needed to do is defend competently. A point was all we needed.

Its not his fault that we missed so many chances to go ahead. However, it is his fault that we let PSG back into the game.

He did not react to Tuchel going to a 3-5-2. No subs. Nothing. He did not manage the Fred situation, despite Fred being a red card risk for the whole game. He did not even react to Rashford signalling to the bench that he needed to be subbed because his shoulder had gone. Took him like 10 minutes to get Rashford off.

He got stage fright tonight, like his players.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He’s clearly not the man. He keeps just about doing enough to keep his job, but ultimately his sacking is inevitable. We’ll never do anything serious under him.

OldTrevil

The game was ultimately decided by extremely harsh red, he set the team up well and we created enough to win on another night

edgecutter

PSG have been really poor for some time. They struggled badly against RB last week and we were very lucky to win. They are nothing special and we should have seen out the draw with the luck we had in the first half.

saivet

The game was ultimately decided by extremely harsh red, he set the team up well and we created enough to win on another night
That same player should have been set up on two occasions. Harsh or not, his decision to keep Fred on for so long was a huge mistake. Otherwise, I agree our performance in general was good.

Matriac

Ole showed himself to be a coach out of his depth today. He:-
1. Failed to take off Fred in the first half
2. Didn't shut up shop when Fred was sent off (we would have been equal on head-to-head with a superior goal difference to PSG).
3. Took off our 2nd best player on the night (Cavani) and played a 19 year-old with no CL experience.
4. Failed to sub Bruno who was terrible with VdB.

These decisions, taken together, are the reason why we are going to crash out at the group stage. Thus, they should be grounds for dismissal.

1. I understand why he kept Fred on after half as I expected we'd need his energy while PSG charges out from the gates, but I did expect to take him off for VDB or Matic at 60-65min.

2. Even with 10 men on we looked the better team over all in my opinion, no need to shut up shop. The only thing that didn't make sense for me was the AWB for Ighalo swap, we were already in it with a chance to equalize, bur even if we did we would have needed AWB to neutralize at the back, he was real important today. Ok, likely we would have lost 1-2 instead with him on, but I didn't think the 2-2 was that much more likely with Ighalo on in that composition.
3. Cavani was real good throughout the game, and I also reacted, but it was possible he was getting tired, thus swapping for Greenwood wasn't the worst idea, yeah he has little CL experience, but he has come through in important moments before.
4. This one I don't understand, which player should he have subbed Bruno for? He wasn't bad in my eyes, and we had no better on the bench (maybe VdB for Bruno if that was the choice).

After the first 15mins we were the better team throughout. If only we had been as clinical as PSG. Martial is in a rut and can't make a goal. If we had got a pen I was thinking tony needed to take it even if Bruno was a bigger guarantee.

It's all stil in our hands. We know we need a draw or better at Leipzig, I'm sure we can do it.
PSG HAD to win today, and they wantex it more.

gormless

Those not saying this is on our manager, take a looong and hard look.

It's a mistake. A rookie one to be fair. He is a rookie in this job, so we'll give him the benefit of the doubt. But it's just constantly happening again and again.
These rookie mistakes are just soooo obvious.

You just have to be crazy to think that the ref isn't going to look at the incidents from the first half!
I'll bet everybody was in his face, LOOK AT IT!!!! YOU should have sent him off! And they were right.

Fred had not ONE, but TWO letoffs.

Yet, Ole leaves him on. Trying to be the clever guy in the room. Well, that worked out well didn't it.

I bet the ref was like "what the feck, this fecker is still on the pitch?!?" "Ole didn't take him out??" First touch and he's out.

And just like that, he's out.

Overcrowd the mid, get Mason on, leave Cavani on. Score a counter goal and go 2-1 up, and it's done and dusted.
It was paved....they were on the ropes. The bird was in the hand. Just make a smart change.
YOU HAVE 5 changes FFS!!!! AAAAAAaaaaah!!!

He has been a football manager for over 10 years. For comparison, Mourinho started in 2000, and in 10 years accomplished two European trophies with Porto, league titles with Chelsea and the treble with Inter.

Ole is a rookie in the same way Lingard is young and promising

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
It’s actually all a bit odd. Tonight proved we’ve made great strides under him. We were the far better team outside the first 15 minutes. We have great squad depth. However you also can’t quite escape the feeling the squad is now capable of more and his inadequacies were totally on show. Not taking Fred and Martial off were poor decisions but so was not changing anything in the 10 minutes from when PSG went three at the back with Neymar and Mbappe up top. The game had started to shift their way and rashford was clearly injured and he did nothing despite the very many options we had on our bench. Then he took Cavani off right when we decided to start hitting the ball long which made zero sense.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Useless. But we’re stuck with him like partners in an abusive relationship who don’t know how to walk away

Red thru & thru

I have been watching Utd for 50 years. In the main it has been good and I have some great nights. Ups and downs but currently I don't see any real reason to carry on watching. I am not an old fart talking about the good old days.

The team is hugely frustrating. lots of talent but no real system, tactics or most important drive to win.

Case in point, Rashford. First few minutes one on one. Does he drive to the goal and try to score. No he drifts sideways down a back alley and looses the ball. How many times did he lamely give the ball away when there was a real threat. You compare him to Mbappe. Strong, fights to keep the ball, a real threat.

Rashford is young and i guess can still learn. But he is getting no guidance from the manager. We have no leaders on the pitch. If only Keano was there
, he would sort them all out.

We all love Ole but we all know deep down he is not strong enough and will eventually get sacked. It is only a matter of time.

SuperiorXI

I actually feel for the first time in a long time we were no mugs tonight in the CL. We had presence and I felt confident we would win... the performance matched that too. On another day we win 3-1.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
That Fred decision could be his bringing on Nick Powell moment. What on earth was he thinking? Still like the way we are headed under him but it may take a lot of time the board won’t give him. Far too many glaring managerial errors undermining some definite progress.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
This next few days is huge, a good win at Southampton mean anything if we don't get something at WHU, but we are now coming off a demoralising CL loss. Ole now has to show his mettle and get them up for the weekend game. Martial is not the goalscorer for us, now it looks like Rashford might be injured. In the summer we need to get a top class goalscorer.

arnie_ni

Fred was playing well. If we took our chances he could have taken him of 3 1 up and he'd have looked like a genius.

Blame freds shocking first touch.

Kaos

It’s actually all a bit odd. Tonight proved we’ve made great strides under him. We were the far better team outside the first 15 minutes. We have great squad depth. However you also can’t quite escape the feeling the squad is now capable of more and his inadequacies were totally on show. Not taking Fred and Martial off were poor decisions but so was not changing anything in the 10 minutes from when PSG went three at the back with Neymar and Mbappe up top. The game had swung their way and rashford was clearly injured and he did nothing despite the very many options we had on our bench. Then he took Cavani off right when we decided to start hitting the ball long which made zero sense.
This is the frustrating thing for me. I don't think Ole is anywhere near as inept as the most ardent Ole out critics paint him to be, and I actually think he's made some commendable progress at the club. Its just knowing that under better coaching and game management we'd likely be a better, if not more consistent team. If we could all see that, then I'm not entirely sure what the value is of keeping him on, blindly hoping that our next strong patch isn't yet another one of many false dawns.

DickDastardly

That Fred decision could be his bringing on Nick Powell moment. What on earth was he thinking.
This.

The old man also had a couple of these "i'm the smartest man in the world" moments.
The problem is, he got most of them right. (Macheeeeedaaaaa)

Whereas Ole just keeps missing and missing.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Ole isn't stupid, I feel he took a gamble by keeping him on. He needed Fred's qualities... the gamble didn't pay off. Can't always play it safe in management.
Sounds like trying to be too smart for me. We couldn’t afford the risk. Hardly like Fred is the heartbeat of our team anyway.

Ludens the Red

Absolutely hilarious naivety. No top manager would have left Fred on. I’ve seen Mourinho and Pep haul better players off because they knew they were gonna get a red.
The injustice of Fred not being sent off would have been on the refs mind and sub consciously he’d have been raring to give that second yellow. How Ole could not see what any tom dick and Harry could see is just such reckless incompetence.

I also don’t like this thing where a player is allowed to be mediocre for about twenty games(saw it with Lingad and Perreira) before Ole drops them. How bad does Martial need to get before he spends some time on the bench?

Thirdly, and this isn’t just Ole, but I thought it was hilarious how the three managers whinging over the fixture turn over and lack five subs in the prem basically went through their Cl games barely making any changes. The game today was screaming out for Fred and Martial to be subbed off. I think pep and klopp made about two each last night too.

Forthly, throwing everyone forward and giving PSG the head to head victory. Again such naivety. Again something you would never see a top manager doing.

It’s such a shame because we actually played well between about the 20th minute up until the Fred red. But it doesn’t matter if you repeatedly show a lack of ability to manager a game properly.

dal

God we have some idiots as fans.

I don’t want to be harsh but it’s the only word I can use which sums up the hysterical attitude of our fans.

We lost to PSG. Our strikers didn’t take there chances and we had a player sent off which if the referee had reviewed would have been reversed.

This is the top level and it happens.

This is the hardest group in the fecking champions league group stage.

If we had the option of getting a point from our final game to go through Im sure we would all take it.

Our knockout tournament starts on game day 6.

Squeeeeeeeeeeky bum time gentleman.

dabeast

Ole showed himself to be a coach out of his depth today. He:-
1. Failed to take off Fred in the first half
2. Didn't shut up shop when Fred was sent off (we would have been equal on head-to-head with a superior goal difference to PSG).
3. Took off our 2nd best player on the night (Cavani) and played a 19 year-old with no CL experience.
4. Failed to sub Bruno who was terrible with VdB.

These decisions, taken together, are the reason why we are going to crash out at the group stage. Thus, they should be grounds for dismissal.
If we manage to beat Leipzig and PSG beats Istanbul, we would have topped the group. Ole decided to let us be 2nd at best even if we beat Leipzig (presuming PSG beat Istanbul).
If we lose to Leipzig and PSG manages to lose to Istanbul we could have gone through with a tiebreaker superiority over PSG. Now, the only way we go through is by either beating or drawing with RBL but PSG just needs to beat Istanbul to win the group.

Ole probably thought we could qualify today with a goal to 2-2 (with 10 men!!!) and decided to chance his arm. This kind of glory-hunting made him a good substitute striker but is a BAD strategy when it comes to long-term group-stage management.

I am usually a huge Ole supporter but he has let the club down today. Far more than Fred, than Martial or Cavani (who should be chastised heavily for missing easy chances), Ole deserves to be chastised and I would not think it unfair if he lost his job if we crash out next week. Losing out in a group having won the first 2 games is certainly fair grounds for dismissal.

arthurka

If this is not a wind up you might have watch the game again. Ole failed us tonight. The setup for the game was ok but the rest was just amateurs galore.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Set us up well and considering we went behind, we recovered well and actually played some good stuff.

However, leaving Fred on in the second half was just plain stupid. He was so lucky not to have had a red in the first half that you just knew he would be a marked man for the rest of the match.

Jonno

Fred was playing well. If we took our chances he could have taken him of 3 1 up and he'd have looked like a genius.

Blame freds shocking first touch.
Millions of United fans know Fred has a poor first touch

Add that to Playing in the CL against a team of divers who influence referees.

Add that to Fred aggressively flinging his head at a player and getting away with a yellow card

Add that to 2-3 more dodgy Fred fouls

Its absolutely scandolous that he didn’t sub Fred at half time. I’m baffled

Roboc7

Ole is all about just keeping it simple and changing very little unless he has to, it backfired tonight but it was fine margins. The standard of management and coaching isn’t really good enough at this level but it’s not going to change for a while and it will be up and down all season I imagine.

saivet

Ole isn't stupid, I feel he took a gamble by keeping him on. He needed Fred's qualities... the gamble didn't pay off. Can't always play it safe in management.
It got to the point where Fred was not being anywhere as tenacious as he usually is and a lot of what Fred was good at began to subdue.

AshRK

Fair play to him for taking the game to PSG but he has to improve his game management. Fred was always going to make one bad tackle and he was off so why didn't you substitute him. Poor stuff.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
PSG have been really poor for some time. They struggled badly against RB last week and we were very lucky to win. They are nothing special and we should have seen out the draw with the luck we had in the first half.
Agreed, the good thing is that they still manage to win despite being poor which is a difference compared to the past where they'd lose even when they were good.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
No one can deny that not subbing Fred was mad, especially when we have a lot of quality to come on and replace him.

Gutting, feel like the lads deserved to win tonight but that’s football hope we smash red bull on the break.

Status
Not open for further replies.