Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He's an important part of our team, that much is obvious. This is why he starts most our games.
You take risks for reward. The reward here is that Fred plays out the entire game for us and that’s it. Yes we might have a little more mobility in midfield but don’t tell me that’s worth having a brainless guy like Fred, who has somehow already escaped a straight red and a second yellow, on the pitch for the entire second half. It actually beggars belief and isn’t just a risky tactic backfiring, it’s completely bizarre incompetence. Especially given we only needed a draw, now we don’t have this important part of our team next week either.

DickDastardly

He has been a football manager for over 10 years. For comparison, Mourinho started in 2000, and in 10 years accomplished two European trophies with Porto, league titles with Chelsea and the treble with Inter.

Ole is a rookie in the same way Lingard is young and promising
Not to be disrespectful to Molde or Cardiff, but that's not really managing.

This is managing. A high profile Champions league game with everything to lose. And you make a rookie mistake of keeping a yellow carder tackler on the field against the biggest group of parkinsonian players in the world.

You get fecked.

The United

I believe we should have played safer with 5 - 3 - 2 just like the first match especially we knew that our forwards were on shit form except Cavani.

gormless

This is managing. A high profile Champions league game with everything to lose. And you make a rookie mistake of keeping a yellow carder tackler on the field against the biggest group of parkinsonian players in the world.

You get fecked.
I don't think that seeing Fred was going to get sent off requires you to be managing a top 4 club, its the type of thing a non league manager could see.
Its made worse when you consider the midfield options we had on the bench. I think today is finally the day I've realised he just isn't learning from his mistakes. His inability to make substitutes proactively is just inexcusable.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Ole isn't stupid, I feel he took a gamble by keeping him on. He needed Fred's qualities... the gamble didn't pay off. Can't always play it safe in management.
Make no mistake, these people would probably have found fault or blamed individual brilliance even if we’d won.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
He is 100% gone if we go out against Leipzig.

Pissing away that group after our start combined with the complete lack of leadership tonight will be the last straw. I'm fecking sure of it.

432JuanMata

Madness not taking off Fred. He should of been sent off in the first half and yeah he got the ball but he got a last warning yellow card and any foul and he was gone. I’m not going to lie I praise Ole I also criticise but my 6 year old could see you can have to take him off at HT. One of Ole’s worst traits is in game management and it was all too see for everyone tonight

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I don't know what to make of it.
We would've been on top if Martial converted one of his two chances (or Cavani). Not Ole fault.
Then it all went south after PSG goal and he didn't react quickly enough, but it was a matter of seconds. I think the Fred foul was actually a good tackle.

We would be talking about good decision making if Martial scored. We needed only a draw.

Idxomer

Every time you feel he got things figured out, he pulls out something inexplicable like not subbing Fred.

He really had to make his subs earlier and not keep an injured player on the pitch that long.

The team's defensive shape is still a bit all over the place, especially on setpieces.

Last edited:

Chairman Steve

You get fecked.
Why wouldn’t it be managing? They were jobs with pressures too, like Premier League survival in Cardiff’s case. Fairly sure Cardiff looked at Premier League status as important as Utd look at major honours as important. Huge sums of money involved and at risk if Cardiff couldn’t maintain Premier League status, much like Utd and Champions League status.

passing-wind

I don't see why people are shocked when the narrative has been all to clear since Ole has been the manager. Whenever the requirement is on us to own a game we fail. That's why our home form is woeful and that's why we are confident in away games because those fixtures are more ventured to Solskjaer's pragmatism.

432JuanMata

Why wouldn’t it be managing? They were jobs with pressures too, like Premier League survival in Cardiff’s case. Fairly sure Cardiff looked at Premier League status as important as Utd look at major honours as important. Huge sums of money involved and at risk if Cardiff couldn’t maintain Premier League status, much like Utd and Champions League status.
Yeah they probably did and he got them relegated and half way down the championship so either he doesn’t have the experience for United or isn’t good enough take your pick

PoTMS

He makes far too many errors to be a top class manager. Just like some of his players - I'm looking at you Martial - he's not good enough for this club for where we aspire to be.

PSingh

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Madness not taking off Fred. He should of been sent off in the first half and yeah he got the ball but he got a last warning yellow card and any foul and he was gone. I’m not going to lie I praise Ole I also criticise but my 6 year old could see you can have to take him off at HT. One of Ole’s worst traits is in game management and it was all too see for everyone tonight
For a man who is well known as a “super sub” his use of substitutions is bizzare. If it’s a one off scenario you can excuse it, but it’s a reoccurring theme in Ole’s reign.

To be fair, blaming Ole for getting sent off probably isn’t the right way to go at it. Fred shouldn’t have lunged into a tackle when he’s already on a yellow.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
He is 100% gone if we go out against Leipzig.

Pissing away that group after our start combined with the complete lack of leadership tonight will be the last straw. I'm fecking sure of it.
He won't be fired if we go out

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I adore Ole and think there is a place for him in the club, always. But is he a good enough manager for the club we want to be?

I still think if you ask every EPL club if they'd swap their manager with Ole, the vast majority would say no. That's not the standard of a Utd manager.

He had a bad day at the office today, and is potentially looking at the utterly dreadful performance in Istanbul as the reason we go out of CL.

AshRK

I don't see why people are shocked when the narrative has been all to clear since Ole has been the manager. Whenever the requirement is on us to own a game we fail. That's why our home form is woeful and that's why we are confident in away games because those fixtures are more ventured to Solskjaer's pragmatism.
But we should have won this game too. It was not like psg dominated us. In top level football against a top side you take your chances. We did not and we were punished.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Good post match interview from Ole
Quotes?

Edit: Just seen it

Thought Fred was lucky not to get a red, thought about changing him at HT, and starts with a "maybe.." then changes his answer. That bit: "Ander knows it's not a yellow"..I mean, this is the CL, teams we come up against regularly play like cnuts, they use their experience and it happens in the league too. We don't get moral points.

Last edited:

The Purley King

Moronic decision to keep Fred on. A player with a long history of poor first touches leading to lunging tackles.
Hard to forgive that, especially when we have vdb ready to come on.
This loss is 100% on ole. And it’s worrying he is still making these feck ups.

Web of Bissaka

Very good positive starting 11 selection.
Then... he showed his naivety by letting Fred stayed on until he gets send off, it's a matter of time that's going to happen and bizarrely he let it be. Ridiculous. Could have set-up 3 man midfield by subbing Fred out, so we maintain good cohesion on the center of the park.

Schoolboy managing error?

AshRK

Moronic decision to keep Fred on. A player with a long history of poor first touches leading to lunging tackles.
Hard to forgive that, especially when we have vdb ready to come on.
This loss is 100% on ole. And it’s worrying he is still making these feck ups.
We cannot grow as a team if we just solely blame the manager every time we lose and give the players free pass. Martial should have scored those chances. How can a manager be blamed for that. Similarly fred should not be making those challenges. Ole has to take some blame but not all. Players have to own up too. They are playing for Manchester United so they have to play and act accordingly.

We played good football and we should have won.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Absolute criminal that he did not see the Fred red card coming. It’s one thing to trust your players but when it’s a big game you don’t take a risk like that on a player who’s game is based around hustling opponents.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
1. I understand why he kept Fred on after half as I expected we'd need his energy while PSG charges out from the gates, but I did expect to take him off for VDB or Matic at 60-65min.
Agreed. I was 50/50 about Fred being subbed at halftime so I don't think Ole made a mistake not making the change then. Letting him play an extra 10-15 or so minutes is a bit risky and could have backfired, but it was a calculated risk. We actually started the second half looking quite good and getting well on top of the game so I thought it was going to be proven a good decision.

Letting him continue past that just makes it riskier and riskier and ultimately bit us on the arse. Subbing him off didn't necessarily have to happen at halftime but it did need to happen.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I believe we should have played safer with 5 - 3 - 2 just like the first match especially we knew that our forwards were on shit form except Cavani.
We probably would have if either Tuanzebe or Shaw were available. With both of them out our options were either Bailly (I could be wrong but I have a feeling he was absolutely shocking last time he played in a back three) or TFM, or moving McTominay or Matic into the defence. None of them are a particularly good option so it's understandable to go for our more normal formation instead.

RkkMan

God we have some idiots as fans.

I don’t want to be harsh but it’s the only word I can use which sums up the hysterical attitude of our fans.

We lost to PSG. Our strikers didn’t take there chances and we had a player sent off which if the referee had reviewed would have been reversed.

This is the top level and it happens.

This is the hardest group in the fecking champions league group stage.

If we had the option of getting a point from our final game to go through Im sure we would all take it.

Our knockout tournament starts on game day 6.

Squeeeeeeeeeeky bum time gentleman.
You must be on a serious wind up. Fred was very lucky to make it till half time. He should have been hooked by the 55th minute at the latest but Ole banking on the luck of Jesus coming back(which is exactly what you expect from a Sunday League manager) cost us the game. Around the 60th min mark anyone could tell changes were needed to refresh the team and change the dynamic of the game its exactly what PSG did and it won them the game but it took a worst case scenario where the game was already lost for Ole to make a change how on earth can you defend such incompetency?
The loss last night was not one where we were completely dominated is was completely avoidable if we showed a shred of tactical acumen defending yesterday`s loss is like defending a lazy mail man for failing to deliver the mail. Yes the forwards missed their chances but Ole still did NOTHING to change the game afterwards
Hardest CL group? It`s not the easiest but PSG/Leipzig have hardly been consistent and frankly the 2 games we`ve lost were completely avoidable again defending the inexcusable and as a result there`s HUGE pressure on us come Tuesday

dal

You must be on a serious wind up. Fred was very lucky to make it till half time. He should have been hooked by the 55th minute at the latest but Ole banking on the luck of Jesus coming back(which is exactly what you expect from a Sunday League manager) cost us the game. Around the 60th min mark anyone could tell changes were needed to refresh the team and change the dynamic of the game its exactly what PSG did and it won them the game but it took a worst case scenario where the game was already lost for Ole to make a change how on earth can you defend such incompetency?
The loss last night was not one where we were completely dominated is was completely avoidable if we showed a shred of tactical acumen defending yesterday`s loss is like defending a lazy mail man for failing to deliver the mail. Yes the forwards missed their chances but Ole still did NOTHING to change the game afterwards
Hardest CL group? It`s not the easiest but PSG/Leipzig have hardly been consistent and frankly the 2 games we`ve lost were completely avoidable again defending the inexcusable and as a result there`s HUGE pressure on us come Tuesday
I don’t understand how Ole is being blamed for the referees mistake. You don’t take your player off because they are on a yellow, especially the one who is probably playing the best.

VAR 100 percent should be re-checking second yellows, he got the fecking ball. If this was City the headlines on the bbc would be about VAR.

The game was on a knife edge. Oles subs won it for us last week and it’s hard to take against PSG for sure.

When Pogba and VDB came on I actually thought we might score.

We are now battling it out with Europes elite, it’s amazing progress, regardless of what anyone says I see our mentality improving.

We aren’t going to win the champions league or the league this year but next year I’m sure we will be ready.

There isn’t any sort of level headedness anymore. It’s incredibly fine margins and at the end of the day if a team loses its on the manager but these things can go either way and it’s just a bad day at the office.

Josep Dowling

To not sub Fred at half time has to be up there as one of the worse decisions I’ve ever seen. Even if it was simply to punish the player for doing something so stupid. He should have been sent off anyway.

Two years in and we don't know what our best team is, we don't have an established direction or identity, and we rely on individual brilliance and luck to score the majority of our goals. I give him great credit for the squad he has assembled but as a team we have gone nowhere, and will go nowhere, as long as he is manager. If we wait again and miss a manager of the quality of Poch we will kick ourselves a year from now.

I am beginning to find myself with that feeling of disinterest and dread when our games come up that i had when Moyes was here, when LVG was at his most dull, and Mourinho at his most miserable. As for this particular game, we made a few of our usual mistakes:

- Leaving Fred on. Anybody could see the frame of mind he was in and knew PSG players would be targeting him. Yes we need what he brings to the team but after 2 years why doesn't Ole have a plan to play without him. It's not like he's Lionel Messi.
- Tuchel made subs and changed the formation. We sat and watched until they scored.
- The subs we did make. Throwing all our attacking players on and hoping for the best? Ighalo, who has played 10 minutes all seasons and is off in a month? And in the 90th minute when he can't do anything anyway.

All mistakes we've seen many times before, and we will continue to make with him in charge.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Not subbed off Fred isn’t criminal, he should have done it just to be safe especially that we have 5 subs but will it even change the game though? We were already 2-1 down a minute before the sending off. Who knows.

But what we know we had lot of good quality chances to take us to 2-1 lead and we didn’t do it and that’s what cost us the game. Getting ourselves into 2-1 lead would make us into safe position and I’m sure Ole would have make the subs if Martial convert that sitter into goal at least.

It really isn’t just down to Ole. At least his system allowed us creating good quality chances yesterday and the attackers once again let us down in big important game, the Sevilla game was one of those last season and this time it happened again yesterday.

Mcking

I don't know what to make of it.
We would've been on top if Martial converted one of his two chances (or Cavani). Not Ole fault.
Then it all went south after PSG goal and he didn't react quickly enough, but it was a matter of seconds. I think the Fred foul was actually a good tackle.

We would be talking about good decision making if Martial scored. We needed only a draw.
An early Fred sub was a very easy one to make. We had Matic, Pogba and Van de Beek who are more or less straight swaps for Fred, and we had five subs to make.

Everyone who has been involved with football for a while would know that Fred was a slightly mistimed or late tackle from been sent off.

For a player whose game is mostly about dueling with the opposition, there was no point keeping him on especially with the situation and the options we had. He was basically walking the tightrope. The referee knew he messed up that initial decision.

I have always had Ole as a lazy manager seeing how much time he spends sitting on his ass, and he comes across as a dumb manager too. Never seems to have a clue of what's going on around him, and very reluctant to take responsibility. Even Joe from a pub would have made that sub.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
An early Fred sub was a very easy one to make. We had Matic, Pogba and Van de Beek who are more or less straight swaps for Fred, and we had five subs to make.

Everyone who has been involved with football for a while would know that Fred was a slightly mistimed or late tackle from been sent off.

For a player whose game is mostly about dueling with the opposition, there was no point keeping him on especially with the situation and the options we had. He was basically walking the tightrope. The referee knew he messed up that initial decision.

I have always had Ole as a lazy manager seeing how much time he spends sitting on his ass, and he comes across as a dumb manager too. Never seems to have a clue of what's going on around him, and very reluctant to take responsibility. Even Joe from a pub would have made that sub.
Agree about Fred point, but the bolded part speaks more of you rather than Ole, if you judge people that way.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Think the formation was risky, but after 15 mins I understood why he played this formation.

Then, he should have subbed Fred at half time (says long on the trust he has for Pogba, Matic in this position too).

But the likes of Mc Kenna, Carrick and Phelan couldn't have advised him to change Fred too ?

Fred is a thing, but also keeping Martial for so long on the pitch is an absolute joke. Even poor James could have exploited more the space than Martial.

Defeat and probably Europa League is down to Ole's choice on keeping idiot Fred and Martial

Status
Not open for further replies.