Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickson

I like Poch, but there's nothing to suggest that Poch could have built the side Ole has managed to. Not saying we're the real deal now, but we're pretty close to that.

As far as results and development of players is concerned, I think it'd be much closer than what people think (favouring either manager).

At the end of the day, Poch's record vs bigger sides has been terrible, despite us, City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Pool all having gone through poor phases in the last 6 odd years. I can literally tell you 8-10 questions that Poch-outers would have gone for had he joined us and not been successful.
Maybe, maybe not. But I think if Poch would take over now, he would do better with this squad than Ole does. His track record with developing players is impressive and I can see him getting much more out of some of the players we have, with Pogba the most significant example.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Pochettino would reach better results with United than Ole has. Also, he has a clear style of play and develops his players.
We’re top of the form table since Bruno arrived aren’t we? Two points off the leaders after having a significantly disadvantaged start to the season due to zero preseason and a three week turnaround after Europa League which resulted in dropped points. And how anyone can suggest players haven’t developed under Ole is ludicrous. Whether he can take us the final next step WHEN we finally get the squad to win things under him is unknown but to suggest Pochetino would be is equally unknown. The fact he broke down crying just because he got to a CL final sort of suggests to me he’s not a winner. Watching his Spurs side lose every chance they had to win something only adds weight to that point of view. The rebuild is nearly complete - Pochetino isn’t the man we need anymore.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Maybe, maybe not. But I think if Poch would take over now, he would do better with this squad than Ole does. His track record with developing players is impressive and I can see him getting much more out of some of the players we have, with Pogba the most significant example.
You think he'd do better, I think he might bring the kind of results that got him sacked. Either way it's not the time to gamble to find out. Anyway there's a Pochettino thread for that.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Again, there's nothing to suggest we would have had this squad had Poch been incharge here. He might do a better job, but you sack a manager, who's good at squad building and management to get a manager who might give you 6 odd points more over 38 games. And the reason for that being over the long term, Ole's squad building capabilities will start to count for more.

As far as developing players is concerned, Rashford, Martial, McT, Fred all have played their best football last season/are playing this season. No one expected Bruno to be this good, so you have to say he's doing something right there as well. Add to that, Shaw is playing like among the best LBs in the league, Pogba's best football at Utd came under Ole, Greenwood's ascent to the 1st has mainly been because of Ole as well.

It just seems like sometimes we don't like to give Ole enough credit because the pundits seem to think it's all just "vibes" and we like to follow their lead. Pundits don't praise Ole because they'd look stupid in front of opposition fans for a praising a manager that is criticized on a daily basis for some random things by his own fan base, and now we're stuck in this loop.

GoldTrafford99

I've had to start an account to post this, after reading some of the utter nonsense on these threads.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has amassed more points than ANY OTHER manager in the Premier League during the year 2020.

Let me say that again...

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has amassed more points than ANY OTHER manager in the Premier League during the year 2020.

And he has actually played one less game than most managers in the Premier League such as "world class" coaches Jose Mourinho, Pep Guardiola and Jurgen Klopp.

He has also, during this calendar year, amassed more points than Mauricio Pochettinho has EVER amassed as a manager in all his years.

Can those too narrow-minded to see what Ole is doing at our football club and are, instead, calling out for Poch to be installed as our coach grow the hell up.

On top of what I have already posted; Ole is now our greatest performing manager of all time after two years in charge. Better than Busby's first two years, better than Ferguson's first two years.

And like Busy and Ferguson, Ole is overseeing a longterm strategy that will not see us just get to the top, but get to the top and stay there for a long, long period of time. It is a long-term plan, and if you take the time to study what is going on in the Academy, instead of just complaining that the first team only drew at Leicester after we'd played more games than any other team in England during December, then you might learn something. We signed the four most hottest young talents in world football this summer... aged 16/17... From Barcelona's academy, from Real Madrid's academy, the best young player from South America etc....

THIS is all a long-term plan. And those without the patience to see it through over the next few years really need to look at our history. Manchester United HAVE NEVER won a league title without a long-term strategy.

Grow up.

Support our manager.

Support the club's rich history and traditions.

Reactions: Sultan

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I've had to start an account to post this, after reading some of the utter nonsense on these threads.

Let me say that again...

And he has actually played one less game than most managers in the Premier League such as "world class" coaches Jose Mourinho, Pep Guardiola and Jurgen Klopp.

He has also, during this calendar year, amassed more points than Mauricio Pochettinho has EVER amassed as a manager in all his years.

Can those too narrow-minded to see what Ole is doing at our football club and are, instead, calling out for Poch to be installed as our coach grow the hell up.

On top of what I have already posted; Ole is now our greatest performing manager of all time after two years in charge. Better than Busby's first two years, better than Ferguson's first two years.

And like Busy and Ferguson, Ole is overseeing a longterm strategy that will not see us just get to the top, but get to the top and stay there for a long, long period of time. It is a long-term plan, and if you take the time to study what is going on in the Academy, instead of just complaining that the first team only drew at Leicester after we'd played more games than any other team in England during December, then you might learn something. We signed the four most hottest young talents in world football this summer... aged 16/17... From Barcelona's academy, from Real Madrid's academy, the best young player from South America etc....

THIS is all a long-term plan. And those without the patience to see it through over the next few years really need to look at our history. Manchester United HAVE NEVER won a league title without a long-term strategy.

Grow up.

Support our manager.

I’m not anyone of any importance but if I was I’d give you a like for this post

Dom Gill

Let me say that again...

Grow up.

Support our manager.

Well said and so true.

I’m not anyone of any importance but if I was I’d give you a like for this post
I echo this, was even trying to work out if I could.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Let me say that again...

Grow up.

Support our manager.

What a fantastic summary of Ole’s many achievements!

Mickson

Again, there's nothing to suggest we would have had this squad had Poch been incharge here. He might do a better job, but you sack a manager, who's good at squad building and management to get a manager who might give you 6 odd points more over 38 games. And the reason for that being over the long term, Ole's squad building capabilities will start to count for more.

As far as developing players is concerned, Rashford, Martial, McT, Fred all have played their best football last season/are playing this season. No one expected Bruno to be this good, so you have to say he's doing something right there as well. Add to that, Shaw is playing like among the best LBs in the league, Pogba's best football at Utd came under Ole, Greenwood's ascent to the 1st has mainly been because of Ole as well.

It just seems like sometimes we don't like to give Ole enough credit because the pundits seem to think it's all just "vibes" and we like to follow their lead. Pundits don't praise Ole because they'd look stupid in front of opposition fans for a praising a manager that is criticized on a daily basis for some random things by his own fan base, and now we're stuck in this loop.
If we can get six points more with another manager, we should surely switch, no? Are you seriously arguing that Shaw has improved? If anything he has regressed since ha came in 2015! Yes, I agree that Ole has developed a few players, however, you can surely argue that Rashford, for example, would have improved regardless considering his age and talent. A worrying thing is that plenty of our new signings are regressing. VNL, AWB, Maguire, James, you don't really see any improvement there. But that's not my biggest problem with Ole either. He is doing fine with the squad building, it's his coaching I don't think is good enough and our non-improvement of the defense is worrying. We'll see, for me he should at least challenge for the title this season to show improvement. We came third last season and were in points nearer relegation than winning the title. I think we will see at the end of the season where we are, and I strongly believe I will be right here. Sorry to say. I hope I'm not though and that we will challenge and win a title, but I don't think so.

Flexdegea

Only in this forum is that a controversial opinion. Says something. You just have to look at their merits and all Points to that Pochettino would do a better job.
Not controversial but sort of the point I was making.

I disagree I think it be samey samey with regards to where we are in league which the currently manager got us too, but more of a gamble to what we are doing at the moment..........be worse in the bigger games I think. Also think Ole will understand the importance of winning trophies better than Poch considering he claimed most them where unimportant. Whether he believed that fully or not who knows but he defo treated cup competitions with contempt.

LJJT

Let me say that again...

Grow up.

Support our manager.

Fantastic post, best of 2020 and summarises everything perfectly. I hope everyone sees this and is aware of these points when posting about our manager.

Last edited:

Dom Gill

If we can get six points more with another manager, we should surely switch, no? Are you seriously arguing that Shaw has improved? If anything he has regressed since ha came in 2015! Yes, I agree that Ole has developed a few players, however, you can surely argue that Rashford, for example, would have improved regardless considering his age and talent. A worrying thing is that plenty of our new signings are regressing. VNL, AWB, Maguire, James, you don't really see any improvement there. But that's not my biggest problem with Ole either. He is doing fine with the squad building, it's his coaching I don't think is good enough and our non-improvement of the defense is worrying. We'll see, for me he should at least challenge for the title this season to show improvement. We came third last season and were in points nearer relegation than winning the title. I think we will see at the end of the season where we are, and I strongly believe I will be right here. Sorry to say. I hope I'm not though and that we will challenge and win a title, but I don't think so.
It is not a given that Rashford would have always got to this point. Management of people is key as well.

The talent Ravel Morrison had is one example of where attitude and management is needed. Alli is another that needs constant molly coddling. The manager always has a part in progression.

Shaw is probably the same as he was but the hole defence is better organised so they all oil better.

I believe Ole is the correct person to restore Manchester United and given time in ups and downs will be a successful manger at the club. Poch is good, but we will again change from our current direction and therefore will potentially lose our identity again.

We play like the United of old in the 90's again when we play well. Our bench is something to fear again. A few more seasons will allow Ole to then get us back. We do not deserve titles because of who we are but we do deserve a manager who knows the old way of building a winning team.

Jonno

Let me say that again...

Grow up.

Support our manager.

Excellent post GT and well worth you signing up to post this. If you could re-post after every game when the hate and knee-jerkers arrive that would be most helpful :lol:

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I said "might be 6 points", but if your squad building is poor, the following season, the poorer manager would make that up, if you get what I mean. It's like Poch might get 86 points while Ole will get 80, but the signings in the following seasons would ensure Ole gets to the 86 point mark, whereas, it's quite likely Poch might remain at the same point or regress

And yes, Shaw has definitely improved. 2015 was more based on potential rather than ability, and we do love hyping up younger players based on what they are capable of 5 years down the line, rather than that point in time. Since the time he joined us, he hasn't ever played football than under now, maybe barring the 1 month before leg break. The only issue is injuries, otherwise, statistically, he's arguably the best LB in the league after Robertson (Chilwell, Digne are poor defensively before you bring up their names).

The Rashford argument is quite poor, as we've seen multiple top talents flop because of their attitude and other reasons. And even if we consider that argument, even then, you'd have to apply the same argument for Kane, Son, Alli, etc. in which case we'd be saying that Poch improved none of the players.

AWB and Maguire have not improved, but they haven't regressed as well, if anything AWB has improved slightly. The issue is we overrate our players at the time of signing so much so that it's impossible for them to be classified a success. James was a punt, and he hasn't really worked out.

Then coming to the coaching point - if you really believe that we've gotten consistent results against better teams and "better manager" without good enough coaching, I'd expect the title in the first season from the new manager - as simple as that. Surely a top manager is worth atleast 15-20 points over no manager. This is a young squad, they'll be inconsistent and have off-days. There are still holes that are yet to be filled and that would take time.

As far as title challenge is concerned, let's go back 3 months or so. How many people on the forum were confident of even a top 4 finish despite the window that we had? People were happy with a top 4 finish and felt Ole would do a remarkable job if we manage to get that. Right now, we're 5 points behind the leaders, with a game in hand. Basically, Ole is becoming the victim of his own success. The more he wins, the more "individual brilliance" argument gets peddled and the more pressure piles up on Ole, which if you think about it is ridiculous.

Eriku

It’s been so quiet from most people with regards to calls for Ole out lately. Did they all just combine into Mickson?

Polar

The grass is always greener on the other side trallala trallala:lol:

If you study Poch, Klopp and Pep in the same critical manner, I’m sure you see that no one is perfect.

Many people only talk about things like “in-game management” and probably underestimate other important aspects of being a manager at United right now.

It’s a benefit to have a manager who knows United, have a strong personal relationship with other people in key-positions and puts the club first.

Ole brings people together, thinks holistic and has an involving style of leading. He is also humble, so I suppose he listen to advices from other competent people who wants United to succeed.

That’s why I think Pep isn’t even close to Ole regarding development and building a strong long term foundation for success.

Last edited:

Acquire Me

Let me say that again...

Grow up.

Support our manager.

Bravo

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
There's a day and night's difference in Luke Shaw's maturity and reading of the game since Jose left and now. He's definitely a player that has benefited from Solskjær.

SKS

Let me say that again...

Grow up.

Support our manager.

I wish I was able to articulate my thoughts in the same way.
Brilliant.

zenith

Ole is clearly bothered about building long term and a good part of that reason is that he loves the club. All of moyes, LVG, Jose and hypothetically speaking Poch would have been most bothered about short term results and not with building anything substantial.

Good transfer decisions and excellent squad management have got us to the point that we were not expecting this season.

The squad harmony is at an all time high, the players are playing for each other and more than anything at least we as a team are enjoyable to watch. It was absolutely horrible with all the other post SAF era. I know, I only used to watch because I loved the club, despite the fact that I hated the football.

Now, at least I know that we are capable of good football and getting better all the time. I reckon we are close to a title winning squad now and it needs just a couple of quality additions.

dal

Let me say that again...

Grow up.

Support our manager.

Sensational post.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Why do you guys waste your time replying to an account that was made in 2007 and 90% of his posts are negative nonsense this december?

united for life

Let me say that again...

Grow up.

Support our manager.

One post one like. Respect mate, great post.

i fully agree with what you said. Some of the fans fail to actually realise what ole has achieved this year

Eriku

Why do you guys waste your time replying to an account that was made in 2007 and 90% of his posts are negative nonsense this december?
Dude’s clearly gagging for attention, and this community is full of givers. Bless their cotton socks.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Huge well done to Ole. The fans would have bitten your hands off at the start of the season to be in our current position, hopefully we can keep the form up and push it all the way

Dante

Average bang
Averaging 2 points per game in the league this season. And that's after a bad start.

Ole's doing a great job so far.

Godfather

Still needs to do better in setting us up against deep sitting sides but we might get there one day

SteveW

So in the 30 league games since Bruno signed we have a point more than Liverpool and 8 points more than City.

That's an amazing improvement from where we were when Ole took over. Doing a great job.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Got very, very lucky tonight. That was a poor performance, but you will get them in this kind of schedule and over the course of the season. Massive game against Villa (obviously a first proper test!) as a win will ensure that game at Anfield would be a battle for the top of the league. :drool: And for some reason, I fancy our chances there this season.

Hakara

Supports
Bayern München
I'm an outsider, so take my views as you will, but to me it seems that you've tried quick fixes. Now you have a manager that want's to build long term, and is on his way to do that. After the streak you guys went on after he took over I knew it would take more to get you to a stable contender for the title, you didn't have the squad, and still miss class in several positions, but you seem to be on the right track. I don't understand how people can be so bipolar and jump from extasy to doom & gloom from match to match. Take a step back, breathe and look at the greater picture. Nothing would give me more joy than revenge for 99 in a CL final.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Dont know what you are laughing about. Our squad is so much better than wolves, they didn't even have a striker to start the game, and we have the luxury to have 50m pound striker on the bench, they also played a game less than 3 days ago.
We should have won this game easily but instead managed to score our goal with a deflected shot on the 94th minute, that is luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.