Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Member 101269

Team line-up announced in the Match Day Thread and every single post under it is a moan or a groan.

"Why isn't Bailly playing?'

It's fecking obvious why Lindelof is playing in this game over Bailly - and anyone who doesn't understand that has zero right to moan.

Liverpool play the highest line of any team in the Premier League - and you guys are calling for Bailly to play over Lindelof.

On top of that... Bailly is utter muck when players are running at him.. he is rash and his decision-making is well below the standard required of an elite defender. And Liverpool's attackers are - along with ours - amongst the best in the world at running at defenders. Lindelof to anybody who knows this sport is the option here today. Shuddup moaning! Especially when your moans are ridiculously silly.

I mean... to be even moaning right now as a Manchester United fan - one-hour before we play Liverpool with a chance to go six points clear of them - is staggering. Just staggering.

C'monnnnnn United!

Yes..

If we beat them, Liverpool go 4th... just putting it out there.. 6 points clear and they're 4th, potentially 5th by the end of today

OleBoiii

People are seriously desperate in their quest to discredit Ole when Lindelof over Bailly is considered an odd or crazy decision.

And to cover my bases in advance: even if Linderlof makes a mistake now, it was still the right decision to start him. Most good managers would probably have done the same.

SER19

People are seriously desperate in their quest to discredit Ole when Lindelof over Bailly is considered an odd or crazy decision.

And to cover my bases in advance: even if Linderlof makes a mistake now, it was still the right decision to start him. Most good managers would probably have done the same.
It just speaks to how pointless it is reading into these things. After the spurs game there was people saying we'll never see bailly again and now he's suddenly unstoppable. If we went 352 he'd be hung for playing both.

dal

It's odd the decisions Ole makes sometimes. Who knows? He might end up proving everyone wrong.
It’s actually odd you raise this, I forgot Bailly has been playing all season regularly and not just for two games.

It’s not that dramatic for crying out loud.

OleBoiii

It just speaks to how pointless it is reading into these things. After the spurs game there was people saying we'll never see bailly again and now he's suddenly unstoppable. If we went 352 he'd be hung for playing both.
Yeah, for sure. I remember back in the day when Fergie was in charge. Even then a sizeable portion of fans would lose their mind whenever the lineups became official. At some point there were even people whining about Tosic not starting :lol:

SER19

Yeah, for sure. I remember back in the day when Fergie was in charge. Even then a sizeable portion of fans would lose their mind whenever the lineups became official. At some point there were even people whining about Tosic not starting :lol:
:lol: Tosic or Fergie

PoTMS

People have concerns when we've looked so solid whenever we play Maguire-Bailly compared to Maguire-Lindelof. He should be given the benefit of the doubt, of course, but if it ends up backfiring, Ole definitely deserves some criticism for tweaking unnecessarily. However, I don't see this decision deciding whether we will end up winning or losing the game.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

And to cover my bases in advance: even if Linderlof makes a mistake now, it was still the right decision to start him
. Most good managers would probably have done the same.
No it isn't. And the bold bit just shows you're so far stubborn in your own opinion that even in retrospect you wouldn't say its a bad decision to start him if he fecks up and leads to conceding a goal :lol:

I want this to play out differently but every big game in the domestic season has had us churn out shit performances with a Lindelof-Maguire combination. The last outing was particularly dogshit on defence particualrly. He dropped Baily when we played City, dropped for Lindelof and Maguire. For what? We got dicked on on set pieces.

This isn't about any agenda, because Ole has earned enough good will to take this risk, but whether it's Ole or SAF himself, a bad looking decision is a bad looking decision.

NinjaFletch

The issue is Lindelof is not shit at all and is a very good CB and deserves far more respect than he’s getting.
I think I'd find it odd fans of any side describing Lindelof as 'very good' but a fanbase who was treated to Rio and Vidic in living memory should definitely have higher standards.

At the more basic point though, for all Bailly's own flaws, we've looked considerably more solid with Lindelof out of the side than it recently. Breaking up that partnership to bring back in a player as passive as Lindelof, especially in a game where it looks like we are expecting to be doing a lot of defending, is a huge call. Let's hope he's got it right.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I think I'd find it odd fans of any side describing Lindelof as 'very good' but a fanbase who was treated to Rio and Vidic in living memory should definitely have higher standards.

At the more basic point though, for all Bailly's own flaws, we've looked considerably more solid with Lindelof out of the side than it recently. Breaking up that partnership to bring back in a player as passive as Lindelof, especially in a game where it looks like we are expecting to be doing a lot of defending, is a huge call. Let's hope he's got it right.
I played CB position for years, and you don’t need to tell me about the quality of Rio and Vidic but there’s no one in world football with their quality. Lindelof is a good player, he’s a good passer, an organiser, he is fantastic at defending on the ground so doesn’t often get beaten by tricks or skills. What he lacks is that extra aggression and physicality which can be a big issue in the premier league. I don’t however see it being a massive issue today so his inclusion makes perfect sense. Bailly has played well recently but he’s still prone to getting injured or doing something stupid. Lindelof is consistent and just more reliable currently.

Giggsyking

The only reason he is playing Lindelof is because he plays better long balls. Otherwise, Bailly is better in every other aspect.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I cannot stress enough how infuriating it is that in every big game we can barely keep the ball. I hope he sorts this out. If he had gotten Grealish we would be 100x better in this department, but we didn't, and probably won't get him now, so hopefully he can get this lot more comfortable at retaining possession.

crossy1686

career ending
I cannot stress enough how infuriating it is that in every big game we can barely keep the ball. I hope he sorts this out. If he had gotten Grealish we would be 100x better in this department, but we didn't, and probably won't get him now, so hopefully he can get this lot more comfortable at retaining possession.
100%, we have someone like Grealish in there and the transition would be so much better. We should have won today really, game plan was spot on.

OleBoiii

We got outplayed in the first half, but Pool still didn't really look like scoring.

Good adjustments in the 2nd half. Should have won, imo.

Polar

Reading match day comments is shocking. So much negativity: ole is clueless, ole let us down + many more. It’s a shame.

We played a good game and had full control during most of the game. In second half we were the better team and also show our potential is higher than LFC.

I was a little bit disappointed when I saw Bailly was replaced, but I was wrong. These kind of matches fit Lindelöf quite well; when we focus on defensive compactness.

Our defence was brilliant. Very good setup and preparation from Ole. Well done.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Needs one of the wingers to stay wide and deliver some crosses. Cavani got no service and I would have bet on him winning some aerial duels against their patchwork defense.

Tapori

Reading match day comments is shocking. So much negativity: ole is clueless, ole let us down + many more. It’s a shame.

We played a good game and had full control during most of the game. In second half we were the better team and also show our potential is higher than LFC.

I was a little bit disappointed when I saw Bailly was replaced, but I was wrong. These kind of matches fit Lindelöf quite well; when we focus on defensive compactness.

Match day threads have always been the hell hole of toxic reactions.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
You know what he was criticised but he almost nailed it today.

Clearly had a plan to finish strong and we did, we were the better side in the end, Maguire and Lindelof were class.

JG3001

Would have liked some more changes with VDB or even Greenwood being brought on.
id love to know what DVB needs to do to get a proper game. Seems it’s been decided he’s not good enough for the PL before he’s even had a run

TrustInJanuzaj

I don’t often criticise but he’s got it massively wrong today both tactically from the start and with his subs. We didn’t turn up, didn’t show any ambition to win and just the wrong subs way too late. He’s admitted today we won’t in the league which we probably already knew but it’s a really poor performance. That will teach me for believing we could actually do it.

The United

His line up was good.

But, playing on Rashford on top was weird. Not only we were leaving Martial who is better at holding the ball but weaker in defense and Pogba on the other side with the FBs of Liverpool's. Rashford gets a lot of offside running even from wings. Of course he would do worse from middle up top.

I think it was the reason of Liverpool dominance over us in first half. I think we did good in 2nd half.

el3mel

Cowardly set up.

We will never get a better chance to beat them at Anfield.
We got the job done. I never asked for more. A draw is a fantastic result to keep us up top. A win would have been great of course but the primary target first and foremost was to not lose our points advantage ahead of them.

Haddock

Ole's tactics were good but he really, really needs to stop letting his favourites (Bruno, Rashford) get a free ride and put a little more faith in Greenwood, Cavani and van de Beek.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I don’t often criticise but he’s got it massively wrong today both tactically from the start and with his subs. We didn’t turn up, didn’t show any ambition to win and just the wrong subs way too late. He’s admitted today we won’t in the league which we probably already knew but it’s a really poor performance. That will teach me for believing we could actually do it.
Massively wrong yet didn't get beat away to the champions and also had the 2 best chances of the game. Go figure.

TrustInJanuzaj

Cowardly set up.

Agree, people shouted me down for saying we should go for it. From what I just saw they were massively there for the taking and we played their reputation.

TheGame

id love to know what DVB needs to do to get a proper game. Seems it’s been decided he’s not good enough for the PL before he’s even had a run
He could be starting as part of a 2 like in the next game against more defensive teams and could easily play across the front 3.Him not being involved at all such as being a sub is very strange.

TrustInJanuzaj

Massively wrong yet didn't get beat away to the champions and also had the 2 best chances of the game. Go figure.
And yet we didn’t turn up. If we were more positive we would have won. Just because they are champions doesn’t make them some irresistible force. They were there to be beaten if we even turned up to 70%. We were cowardly end of.

Carl

I hope you're not expecting it to be any better in here mate.

always_hoping

12 points better off than last season with 18 games played. Pleased with the improvement but need to keep it going into the 2nd half of the season now. Touch wood little or no injuries between now and May.

Ash_G

Cowardly set up.

I'm not sure if the set up was the problem but the attacking approach was definitely a disappointment. We were trying to force it far too much. Yes the attacking players were pretty poor in general which Ole can't control, but some of the issue I think was tactical in trying for the killer pass so early. If we were more patient I think we'd have created a lot more and had a really good chance whether from a set piece or eventually getting someone in behind. Definitely agree that not beating Liverpool in this situation has to be a negative.

Carl

And yet we didn’t turn up. If we were more positive we would have won. Just because they are champions doesn’t make them some irresistible force. They were there to be beaten if we even turned up to 70%. We were cowardly end of.
It isn't though, is it.

El Zoido

It wasn’t a cowardly setup, what a load of absolute bollocks. Setup and tactics were fine, mentality issues seem to be with some of the players but we were the better team for 70 minutes of the game and created two game-winning chances that should have taken us to three points. At some point the responsibility falls on the players to see the job through, which they didn’t today. Let’s not forget that this was against the the current champions, at the ground they haven’t lost at for four years. A best XI of these two teams features 7 Liverpool players. Yet people expect us to come here and put them to the sword 5-0. Give me a fecking break, it’s such nonsense.

Ludens the Red

I’m neither here not there with the set up today. For all the talk about getting at Liveroool, Fabinho is an absolute beast at centre back and their best central midfielder returned today. Ultimately we had two massive chances to win the game today.

What I would say is those defending the set up today, did you do the same when Mourinho was here and did it twice at Anfield? Cos I remember the reaction after the 0-0 here in 2017 was almost unanimously negative.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I'm not sure if the set up was the problem but the attacking approach was definitely a disappointment. We were trying to force it far too much. Yes the attacking players were pretty poor in general which Ole can't control, but some of the issue I think was tactical in trying for the killer pass so early. If we were more patient I think we'd have created a lot more and had a really good chance whether from a set piece or eventually getting someone in behind. Definitely agree that not beating Liverpool in this situation has to be a negative.
He places too much faith in rubbish forwards, put simply. To play like we do in these big matches, you need clinical world class players. Lads like Martial, Rashford, Bruno and Pogba need heaps of chances to get their eye in.

Status
Not open for further replies.