Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
So much overreaction in this thread :lol: And this is coming from someone who doubts Ole as a long term manager
They've been feeding of scraps the last month or so, so of course an emotional outburst was overdue

No doubt Ole got the selection wrong today, but if we cant trust our second string players then its pretty obvious we dont have the quality to compete on 3 fronts, especially not in a congested season like this.

Interestingly enough, Matic have started in 90% of our losses this season. McFred has gotten some shit lately, but its 10x better than Matic + Fred/McTomminay

OrcaFat

He leaves, where does he go next? What level of club is in for him? Honestly.

I'm not Ole out because I would rather have someone I like/who loves the club taking us this far under the Glazers, rather than someone else who will get bored/fired after a few years.

But we now know our ceiling with Ole/Glazers. This is it. Could be worse, should be better.
This is not the ceiling. What a daft thing to say. Plenty of scope for continued improvement.

Dearg hÉireann

We won't win a thing with him in charge, he honestly hasn't got a clue about how to rotate the team and when to make a substitute.

Clueless beyond belief. When I saw the team before the game I knew we were in for a tough day, obviously I didn't expect Harry Maguire and Fred to play like absolute tools or Dean Henderson to flap at the third goal like a lost Seal but enough is enough now. I love Ole and he'll forever be a United legend but time to say it hasn't worked and we need to move on.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I always thought that EL is more important than the FA cup. It hurts to be knocked out by the foxes, however, as long as we win the EL and finish second in the league, I am a happy man. However, I am not so sure we will be the runner ups by the end of the season, nor do I see us winning the Europa despite being the strongest team left in this competition.
Spoiler alert: we won’t.

always_hoping

This idiot rested Fernandes today but played him against Real Sociedad in the 2nd leg game......he has no clue how to use his squad.

And every good coach would have brought off Fred at half-time (Great coaches even before half-time).
Bruno played one half in 2nd leg v Sociedad, he wouldn't have played at all if Debeek, Pogba, Mata etc was fit and available for selection in that game.

edgecutter

He's nearly in his fifties and there are people who think he can get better. This is the level and he has one tactic: counter attack. We won't win a thing with him and the Europa League should be seen as a failure to progress in the Champions League. We would all rather be in the last 16 in the Champions League than the B tier competition.

SAFMUTD

Blooded Greenwood into the first team. Improved Luke Shaw to the point where he’s the best left back in the league. Improved Fred (before his recent poor form).
Being honest I think Greenwood talent is enough to get him into the team, no matter who the manager was. I dont see why Ole should get praise for that, playing a wonderkid is kind of obvious isnt it?

Just curious about the Luke Shaw argument, I do agree Shaw has improved massively and is playing the best football of his career, but if Ole is going to be praised for that then surely he should get stick for other players form falling off a cliff? Like lets say Martial? Im from the opinion that you can't have it both ways, he either gets all the love/stick or he doesnt at all.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
We needed 4 points from 12 and we couldn't even get them from some Turkish no-hopers and a team we had already beaten 5-0. A team even this fecking useless Liverpool side swept aside with ease.

Top that for a bottle job. You won't.
:lol: if you think losing to PSG and the team 2nd in Germany qualifies as "the most embarrassing collapse in champions league history" then well I actually don't know what to say.

Dude you can make a similar point without being so hyperbolic, and if you did you would be more likely to get people to agree with you.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Woodward has his faults and there are plenty but I don't see how he can be blamed for certain things that our managing team should have adressed. The weakness defending set pieces, the lack of movement, I mean lack of consistent movement from certain players. If Martial is too lazy to make runs then play with the reserves, I'm pretty sure next time he will try harder...

Longshanks

We won't win a thing with him in charge, he honestly hasn't got a clue about how to rotate the team and when to make a substitute.

Clueless beyond belief. When I saw the team before the game I knew we were in for a tough day, obviously I didn't expect Harry Maguire and Fred to play like absolute tools or Dean Henderson to flap at the third goal like a lost Seal but enough is enough now. I love Ole and he'll forever be a United legend but time to say it hasn't worked and we need to move on.
He has clearly prioritised the europa league/PL over the FA cup the starting line up showed that, the game showed that we dont have enough strength and depth especially in midfield and attack but we knew that anyway. There is no shame in losing to a good well rested Leicester side, its disappointing but sometimes it's not your day and the other team plays better.

OrcaFat

We needed 4 points from 12 and we couldn't even get them from some Turkish no-hopers and a team we had already beaten 5-0. A team even this fecking useless Liverpool side swept aside with ease.

Top that for a bottle job. You won't.
Some people will tell you Leipzig are brilliant and that we should sack Ole and bring in their manager. Losing to PSG is no shame. So really it’s the one game to the Turks that we shouldn’t have lost. No big deal really.

Dearg hÉireann

He has clearly prioritised the europa league/PL over the FA cup the starting line up showed that, the game showed that we dont have enough strength and depth especially in midfield and attack but we knew that anyway. There is no shame in losing to a good well rested Leicester side, its disappointing but sometimes it's not your day and the other team plays better.
Leicester are a good team no doubt and I think Brendan Rodgers is a far better coach than Solskjaer but if he's that arrogant to look a gifthorse in the mouth to progress to a semi final against Southampton then he's really not the man for the job is he.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
This is not the ceiling. What a daft thing to say. Plenty of scope for continued improvement.
I think there may be minor performance improvements, but I can't see us winning titles or cups under Ole, which is the next level proper.

Not a terrible thing, but not what we should be aspiring to.

Morpheus 7

He deserves to be reviewed at end of season. If we crash out of the Europa league like this, he can't be defended. Finishing top 4 won't hide the lack of progress. These no shows in big games are familiar, we need to see a trophy and top 4 this year and compete for league next year. Anything short of that and we are going backwards. Not asking for miracles but progress, he needs to prove he's got enough to get us over the line. I've had doubts about Ole for a long long time but I'll gladly be proven wrong if he delivers. No excuses now, must deliver that Europa league now or should be replaced.

JG3001

Are we?
We are poor the vast majority of the time.
I don’t disagree with your response, but we’ve still won plenty of games. We have seen glimpses of what we’re capable of, but they come in random short bursts in 10/20 mins of a game at best, and I don’t think Ole knows how to capture and build on it. That’s been my issue for the longest time now.

He needs a strong finish to shut a lot of us critics up now, but I just can’t see happening. We’ll finish top 4 and he’ll start next season though, that’s the goal for the board...

Idxomer

:lol: if you think losing to PSG and the team 2nd in Germany qualifies as "the most embarrassing collapse in champions league history" then well I actually don't know what to say.

Dude you can make a similar point without being so hyperbolic, and if you did you would be more likely to get people to agree with you.
Maybe not but losing to a Turkish side in a relegation battle this season was definitely embarrassing.

OrcaFat

I think there may be minor performance improvements, but I can't see us winning titles or cups under Ole, which is the next level proper.

Not a terrible thing, but not what we should be aspiring to.
You may be right but, despite today’s disappointment, I think we will improve.

There are players in our team who will be replaced with better players in their positions. It’s mostly about the quality of the players. If we stop buying better players then, yes, all hope is probably lost.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
If he doesn’t win the Europa league he’s gone. He has shown he’s great at getting players to root for one another and work hard. The grit and determination he’s inherited from SAF has allowed him to grind out a better league position.

When it comes to tactical masterclasses (needed for knockout games) he’s clueless.

AshRK

He deserves to be reviewed at end of season. If we crash out of the Europa league like this, he can't be defended. Finishing top 4 won't hide the lack of progress. These no shows in big games are familiar, we need to see a trophy and top 4 this year and compete for league next year. Anything short of that and we are going backwards. Not asking for miracles but progress, he needs to prove he's got enough to get us over the line. I've had doubts about Ole for a long long time but I'll gladly be proven wrong if he delivers. No excuses now, must deliver that Europa league now or should be replaced.
The board is not going to sack him. He is here to stay for one more season for sure irrespective of whether we win a trophy or not this season.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Ole is just a nice manager for Utd at the time of needs. This squad with a better manager will come close to winning something but sadly, not with Ole. I am in the Ole out camp about 18 months into his appointment, nothing will change my mind about it. With better coaches, we will likely be in the FA cup, champion league and much closer to City in the table. Ole’s team can play wonderful beating PSG, City and etc with counter attacking football but falls short against Sheffield Utd, West Brom and etc. In order to win something, you beat who are supposed to beat. That’s where points are picked up. Time to find a manager who can turn this club into something.

Crustanoid

The board don’t actually care so long as we get the CL money. Progress on the football field means literally nothing to them

Skouix

Some on the Cafe could find Ole in bed with their wife and still blame it on the players!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Being honest I think Greenwood talent is enough to get him into the team, no matter who the manager was. I dont see why Ole should get praise for that, playing a wonderkid is kind of obvious isnt it?

Just curious about the Luke Shaw argument, I do agree Shaw has improved massively and is playing the best football of his career, but if Ole is going to be praised for that then surely he should get stick for other players form falling off a cliff? Like lets say Martial? Im from the opinion that you can't have it both ways, he either gets all the love/stick or he doesnt at all.
Again my point was about how you can frame things in different lights.

OrcaFat

Ole is just a nice manager for Utd at the time of needs. This squad with a better manager will come close to winning something but sadly, not with Ole. I am in the Ole out camp about 18 months into his appointment, nothing will change my mind about it. With better coaches, we will likely be in the FA cup, champion league and much closer to City in the table. Ole’s team can play wonderful beating PSG, City and etc with counter attacking football but falls short against Sheffield Utd, West Brom and etc. In order to win something, you beat who are supposed to beat. That’s where points are picked up. Time to find a manager who can turn this club into something.
I think the opposite is true. Give Ole PSG squad or Man City squad and he will win. Give Pep or Poch our squad and they will not.

My only Eric

I think the opposite is true. Give Ole PSG squad or Man City squad and he will win. Give Pep or Poch our squad and they will not.
Ole would most likely have city playing 4231 and counter attacking against west brom

James_42

The lineup he went with today was shocking, why decide to rotate with the international break coming up?

Why wait for so long to make 4 subs at once? He treats subs like people do on FM, usually the exact same time every game.

I'm not seeing huge progress with him as manager, and wouldn't mind if he was replaced in the summer.

SAFMUTD

Im curious, what makes you think that? Why do you think one of the greatest managers of all time like Pep wouldnt do a better job than Ole?

Status
Not open for further replies.