Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jezpeza

Yeah keep it up. Pissed the group, got through Roma and Lyon without breaking sweat. Shut out Barca over two legs. Yeah shocking.

If only we’d matched this current team and their success of getting eliminated from a group with European heavyweights such as Istanbul’s 5th best team and a team named after an Energy drink.
The 2008 team can only aspire to reach these current heights.
shit team. Full of stat padders, very lucky, all the time. Wank football. I watch football to be entertained feck the results

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
A more stacked squad? Ole chose to dismantle it and had to get rid of certain "characters". We had the likes of Fellaini and Young etc playing, who most wanted rid of. You can't claim we had a better squad under Jose and think Ole has done a good job with the rebuild. We've spent a tonne of money in the last 4 years, plus with Rashford being older, McTominay and Greenwood coming through, the squad is miles better now.
I think Ole has done a good job because he’s majorly slashed the wage bill and kept us competitive. He’s getting more robust younger players who can play nearly every game. We still need to bring in an awful lot more quality if we want to make the jump to being a top team. We can’t rotate at RW, LW, Striker at all. We are flat out playing everyone who is available in every single game regardless of form, compatibility or even injury. There’s nobody else apart from the youth if we need to freshen it up. One or two more top players would make a huge difference if Ole would learn how to rotate

Jezpeza

I think Ole has done a good job because he’s majorly slashed the wage bill and kept us competitive. He’s getting more robust younger players who can play nearly every game. We still need to bring in an awful lot more quality if we want to make the jump to being a top team. We can’t rotate at RW, LW, Striker at all. We are flat out playing everyone who is available in every single game regardless of form.
We need players to push those to the bench to give us the squad to really challenge in 38 league games and have enough quality to rotate and still win cup games etc. Plus everyones knackered they need a proper summer off.

They should have scrapped the euros in my opinion or made it an informal kind of kick-about with b teams. The football calender is ludicrous and the players are playing too much catchup. Got to get world cup qualifiers in too. Looking at the state of our group is it really necessary for england to have to prove we can beat those two bit teams twice?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
We need players to push those to the bench to give us the squad to really challenge in 38 league games and have enough quality to rotate and still win cup games etc. Plus everyones knackered they need a proper summer off.

They should have scrapped the euros in my opinion or made it an informal kind of kick-about with b teams. The football calender is ludicrous and the players are playing too much catchup. Got to get world cup qualifiers in too. Looking at the state of our group is it really necessary for england to have to prove we can beat those two bit teams twice?
Seriously our owners need to put down the cash to bring some good key players in here. We are worth billions but our entire current roster of forwards cost less than we got for Lukaku. We need to step it up and stop flogging the players we have to death. We need a lot more.

Ludens the Red

shit team. Full of stat padders, very lucky, all the time. Wank football. I watch football to be entertained feck the results
Ah, is this like a little sarcastic ‘schtick’ you do when you don’t like someone criticising the current team?

city-puma

that 2008 champions league win was shocking. Scraped past lyon, scraped past barca and probably should have lost the final. We went out at group stage at least twice i remember. We regularly lost to bogey teams like bolton and blackburn. Remember us getting spanked 3-1 at home to Fulham with Forlan up front trying to break the net rather than score. Remember when we lost loads of games early in the season and the teams spelt BLANC who we had just signed.

even in his last season, we had to come from behind every week and couldnt defend.

if you like the manager then getting results when playing shit is ‘the mark of a great, winning team’.

if you have a rhetoric against the manager then it means the manager is shit and should be sacked
Not Bolton I think. They are Arsenal’s nightmare though. Blackburn was tough definitely for us.

reddevilz007

guy is killing my love for the sport
Yet people think we just need more world-class players to play better. Clueless just like Ole.

We have a better team than Granada, yet we still played like amateurs. It is not down to the players at this point.

We're far better than any other remaining team in the competition it's not even a contest. We don't win it and it's a big bottling job, we won't have an easier competition for a trophy like this for some time. You liking the phrase or not doesn't really matter to be honest with you.
bollocks. There are teams capable of having great games in the competition.

losing a match doesn’t mean you ‘bottle it’.

it’s not about liking or not liking the phrase, it’s about calling out people who use it incorrectly.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
2-0 away from home is a very good result, not entertaining game but good enough performance in European away game against La Liga midtable team.

el3mel

bollocks. There are teams capable of having great games in the competition.

losing a match doesn’t mean you ‘bottle it’.

it’s not about liking or not liking the phrase, it’s about calling out people who use it incorrectly.
What does them being able to play good games have anything to do with the fact that we are by far the strongest team remaining in the competition? Are Arsenal who are setting 10th in the same league as us anywhere close in strength to the 2nd team in the league ? Roma? Ajax? Villarreal? These are our competitors, all a step down from United's level.

If you are by far the strongest team in competition and go out to an inferior team then it's a bottling job. Again, it's doesn't really matter if you like the phrase or not.

Or it's fine using this term on other teams but not us? Spurs bottled it massively against Dinamo, they were top favorites and had great first leg result and went out in a shambolic way. Should we not call their exit "bottling" now just because Dinamo can put on "good matches" ?

Either you don't like the phrase being used on United only or you straight up don't like the term in general which, as I said, doesn't make it any false. I have seen many here previously who didn't like using it on Poch's Spurs, it is fine, still doesn't make it any wrong of a term in any way. When you are top favorite to get through and throw it away you bottled it, period.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
:lol:

You loved LVG and Jose’s United?

just go and watch netball will ya
Just because we were boring under those managers, doesn't mean we have to enjoy or accept the quality of football under Ole.

We're such a dull, lifeless football team and it's been like this for 8 years. Even when we win big, it's so darn functional and uninspiring. Would love for us to become a truly entertaining side again. I can't see it changing unless we add some really special players in the summer or have a tactical revolution at OT.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
We're far better than any other remaining team in the competition it's not even a contest. We don't win it and it's a big bottling job, we won't have an easier competition for a trophy like this for some time. You liking the phrase or not doesn't really matter to be honest with you.
Its so weird that you say that without any context. What if we lose after a Nani against Madrid like decision? Is that a bottle job? @ClaytonBlackmoorLeftPeg is right, bottle job is such an overused term.

el3mel

Its so weird that you say that without any context. What if we lose after a Nani against Madrid like decision? Is that a bottle job? @ClaytonBlackmoorLeftPeg is right, bottle job is such an overused term.
In 2 legs tie we should easily defeat any remaining team in the competition even if we fecked up in one game of the two. This is different from facing Real Madrid, of course.

Yes, a lot of people don't like this term here, as I used, there have been complaints about using it on Poch's Spurs back when he was still managing them. It's your opinions, but liking a term or not doesn't mean it's right or false by any means.

Berbasbullet

In 2 legs tie we should easily defeat any remaining team in the competition even if we fecked up in one game of the two. This is different from facing Real Madrid, of course.

Yes, a lot of people don't like this term here, as I used, there have been complaints about using it on Poch's Spurs back when he was still managing them. It's your opinions, but liking a term or not doesn't mean it's right or false by any means.
So under any context we lose to a worse team it’s a bottle job? It’s not about not liking a term it’s about a term being complete and utter rubbish.

The final is only one leg.

el3mel

So under any context we lose to a worse team it’s a bottle job? It’s not about not liking a term it’s about a term being complete and utter rubbish.

The final is only one leg.
Look, I see your point about the context when it comes to the final or something, but in 2 legs tie there's no passable context in which it's acceptable for United to go out facing an inferior side. You can feck up or have a terrible referring in one game but not two.

Berbasbullet

Look, I see your point about the context when it comes to the final or something, but in 2 legs tie there's no passable context in which it's acceptable for United to go out facing an inferior side. You can feck up or have a terrible referring in one game but not two.
Not really? Fine, what if there is a shockingly poor red card decision to one of our players in both legs in the first minute? Unlikely but surely a context where it isn’t a bottle job?

My point is you can retrospectively point to a bottle job performance but flat out preempting it is a bit silly. Especially when we’re facing Ajax or Roma who aren’t a joke by any means.

TsuWave

You're free to find a new club.

I think most fans wont miss you
Do you go around taking the time to tell people what they’re free to do in your day to day life?

I don’t know what kind of weirdo stuff you have going on, but I do not post on redcafe because I want to be missed by most fans.

Bizarre post

el3mel

Not really? Fine, what if there is a shockingly poor red card decision to one of our players in both legs in the first minute? Unlikely but surely a context where it isn’t a bottle job?

My point is you can retrospectively point to a bottle job performance but flat out preempting it is a bit silly. Especially when we’re facing Ajax or Roma who aren’t a joke by any means.
I mean you know this is a far fetched scenario.

Ajax and Roma are a step below United. We will be top favorites in everyone's eyes to get through. They aren't bad. We are far stronger though.

Anyway, let's just hope we will win it and won't have to actually discuss if we bottled it or not in the future.

Berbasbullet

I mean you know this is a far fetched scenario.

Ajax and Roma are a step below United. We will be top favorites in everyone's eyes to get through. They aren't bad. We are far stronger though.

Anyway, let's just hope we will win it and won't have to actually discuss if we bottled it or not in the future.
Yes but it’s a potential context, would it be a bottle job?

Agreed. :D

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Come on it’s all agenda’s to be honest. The guys that get upset with my posts on Ole.. I don’t see them in other player performance threads getting angry because some is criticising Mason’s Greenwood performance.

But I get it. If I like Greenwood I’d probably be in there being positive against the negativity.

It’s all just personal bias. People don’t like this football. People just like Ole so they stick up for him. I could do it too if I liked him. But I don’t.
Its not quite the same though is it. Pretty much everyone can tell if a player had a poor game or not. Greenwood had a poor game, but no one is suggesting we bin him off and if they did everyone would tell them to feck off.

It was a drab afair alright, but a good result nonetheless. Why are you having a go at the manager? Granada played with 10 men behind the ball all game, even at 1-0. Considering our most creative player is running on fumes and pretty much all of our attacking players are in terrible form, did you expect us to tear through them?

OrcaFat

Another newbie another poor post.

Nobody pretends we were “always extremely entertaining” to watch every single week under Fergie. I don’t know why people constantly say this. People even moaned back then. So I don’t know where you’ve got this from. The only pretending is you pretending.

We shit housed our way through the 2008 CL? Are you drunk? We won that group with two games to spare. Went away to Roma and won comfortably in the last eight. Then shut out Barcelona for 180 minutes in the semies.
We literally had a 20 game unbeaten CL record run during this period btw. As in no team in the history of the CL has ever repeated that or done it before. Bayern failed at 19 on Tuesday.

Here’s the number of high quality CL performances we produced during that period.
Arsenal away, Arsenal Home, Kiev home, Kiev away, Roma away, Celtic home, Aalborg away, Inter home, Inter away.

Now We can’t even go to Bashaksheir and win, let alone win groups with two games left.

The reason people moan is because they’re tired of shit football after seven years. People like to be entertained when they watch football. It isn’t just about results. How much more obvious does this need to be?
Crystal Palace are enjoying their best ever premier league season. Go on their forum and most of them are depressed and want Hodgson out because they play shit football.

Fecking nobody expects us to outplay every team every week and nobody thinks we did under Fergie. However even under Fergie, between for example between 2011 and 2013 where we didn’t play great football we were still so capable of constantly scoring goals.

Honestly the state of these kind of posts. Outright Disrespecting of our legendary teams of the past all to try and justify the crap this current regime serve up most of the time.

Imagine going on the Arsenal forum and they’re like “why are people moaning, back in 2004 under Wenger we weren’t amazing every week. We drew with Portsmouth and Blackburn that season”
Do me favour....
You poor soul. Those of us who enjoy watching our team are surely blessed.

RkkMan

I love how people expected us to easily steamroll past a Granada side who didn`t get to where they are by accident. They didn`t just knock out the likes of Napoli miraculously on their day they can cause problems for anyone and after seeing them yesterday they are quite clearly aggressive ruffians a tactic that can frustrate any top team. A 2 goal cushion both being away goals plus a cleansheet is a huge positive. An earlier post here compared this to our CL winning season in 2008 which is frankly bobbins but a relevant example is our last EL winning campaign with Jose. We shithoused our way to winning the trophy for practically 70-80% of the competition so people are going to have to accept we are at a stage where getting the result is what matters and based on our 16/17 season it worked out perfectly

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
People are really annoyed at the fact that we didn't put away Granada in style. Even though you know, we won 2-0, it was very controlled, we conceded no clear chances, it was midweek and only our second game back from Internationals, and Granada themselves deserve credit for the level they reached to this season.

We've lost what, 1 in the last 20 odd games or so, with an injured Rashford, no real right winger and no fit striker and people expect us to control games and play with style more frequently than we have, in a congested fixture season where fatigue sets in even more than normal?

Even I doubt Ole at times, but feck off with that.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
wish I could “like” this post.

Didn’t Jose say he performed a miracle to get a more stacked squad to second? We were way off before Ole got here and we are still building the team. Patience is definitely required.
Thanks mate still waiting for mods to like that post :)

Yeah he said getting second with that squad was his biggest career achievement. I mean the squad is pretty good especially the first XI. But at the same time looking at City’s depth it’s clear Ole needs backing in the market to compete with them. Attacking reinforcement is needed.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
People are really annoyed at the fact that we didn't put away Granada in style. Even though you know, we won 2-0, it was very controlled, we conceded no clear chances, it was midweek and only our second game back from Internationals, and Granada themselves deserve credit for the level they reached to this season.

We've lost what, 1 in the last 20 odd games or so, with an injured Rashford, no real right winger and no fit striker and people expect us to control games and play with style more frequently than we have, in a congested fixture season where fatigue sets in even more than normal?

Finally some common sense, and that bolded part is really something everyone should take into consideration before they declare they will fall on their swords.

Granada tried to shithouse themselves to an result here and we did not let them.

Matriac

Why are some people pretending we were always extremely entertaining to watch?
By the gods, in the Fergie area we had some truly horrible performances in PL, cups and Europe, getting results on the way.
Just recall our 2008 CL campaign, won’t ya?
We had arguably the best team in world football this season and we shithoused our way through many games.
We had quite enough fun and entertaining games under Ole and we’ll have many more.
Sometimes getting the result is more important.
There is no joy in failing, no matter how beautifully you played.
We got amazing 1/4 final away result. Live with it.

But I guess some people just want to moan any chance they get.
Great post!

Last nights result was a job well done.
We always looked the stronger team, and Granada never really threatened us. Their biggest chances were those 2-3 long shots that hit straight at De Gea.

They were also playing shithouse tactics, kicking at our heels and coming late into tackles always when the ref was looking the other way. While the ref kept carding us for just looking at them the wrong way. You could easily see how frustrated our boys got with the ref, but they had to act like nothing and play a measured and controlled way to get through the match with a result and as few as possible suspensions. There was no way we could try to play fancy with those constraints.

Great result away, it should make the return leg (with a different ref) an easy affair to get through.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Do you go around taking the time to tell people what they’re free to do in your day to day life?

I don’t know what kind of weirdo stuff you have going on, but I do not post on redcafe because I want to be missed by most fans.

Bizarre post
The football is fecking dire. As long as he keeps getting results we will be stuck with this for a while.

cyberman

Exactly this. Its as if people lose all semblance of context when criticising games like last night.
Id understand if it just happened, if this were the end game of the rebuild but these same criticisms are from the same fans who were slating him this time last year or this time 2 years ago.
On the other hand, its a great sign that our fanbase are now taking wins for granted.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Exactly this. Its as if people lose all semblance of context when criticising games like last night.
Id understand if it just happened, if this were the end game of the rebuild but these same criticisms are from the same fans who were slating him this time last year or this time 2 years ago.
On the other hand, its a great sign that our fanbase are now taking wins for granted.
Also worth noting that a lot of SAF's dominant wins in Europe or even in cups were far from pretty. They were boring and controlled but we often got the job done convincingly enough.

Olecurls99

Motivation = comeback, well well I believe the definiton of that is much broader and its connotations concerning management. Well done, resukts have been fine, does that mean something if we win nothing again? You can watch all 60 United games and be entertained in 10 of those games, that's very little for me but perhaps like mediocre football. Do a comeback against bottom level team in the prem counts as a proof of motivation. That's nonsense. Why don't we manage our tem so we play entertaining football from the off and win 4:0, seems like we lost that kind of motivation for a while now..
It's really not that simple. Give him time and the money to buy some exciting players (Grealish, Sancho etc) and watch how the football improves.

Managers get you results
Players give you style

Skåre Willoch

Solid game yesterday, even though it was quite boring. I'll take a 2 goal win and a clean sheet away from home in the QF in Europa every single time, the performance is secondary really.

Status
Not open for further replies.