Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

lysglimt

Scout
On the fitness, Ole brought in Michael Clegg, Ed Leng shrewd appointments thus far.
Still remember Michael Clegg tackling Vinny Jones over the sidelines.....the look on Vinny's face - he looked more shocked than anything :) I think it was his full debut as well - correct me if I am wrong!

AshRK

For some reason I was listening to Jose's last press conference for us after our defeat to Liverpool. He kept on saying how we lack the physicality to match Liverpool and City. Ole when he took over pointed out the same by saying we lack fitness. The fact they he has made us one of the fittest team even after playing 3 games every week since December shows the amazing work Ole has done. We easily outrun most of the sides now. We look so fitter and that has to be credited towards the coaching staff.

AshRK

I remember on the first day of his appointment, he said something that gave me such a buzz and I hope the quote is nailed to the changing room door. He said " No team should ever outwork a Man Utd side, ever".
Yes I remember that. It was clear he wanted to improve our fitness.

Paul_Scholes18

He did not speak out against the super league :(. Clear he is yes man and that is why he is keeping his job for this long even with results that could have seen him sacked.

Halftrack

He did not speak out against the super league :(. Clear he is yes man and that is why he is keeping his job for this long even with results that could have seen him sacked.
Do you actively look for things to be miserable about? "Clear he is yes man" my ass.

AshRK

Did pep or Klopp or arteta speak against it. Let us wait and see how it goes rather always finding a way to blame Ole.

Paul_Scholes18

Did pep or Klopp or arteta speak against it. Let us wait and see how it goes rather always finding a way to blame Ole.
Just did see he got asked about it. He was under pressure to say something stupid, but he played it well from a diplomatic standpoint.

Just would have been nice if he talked against it. I personally think he is against it and rather see Champions league as it is.

Mainoldo

Time to Unite lads. Ole in/Out don’t matter anymore. Nobody running our club care.. so why are we battling.

But it was fun! For me anyway :lol:

AshRK

Just did see he got asked about it. He was under pressure to say something stupid, but he played it well from a diplomatic standpoint.

Just would have been nice if he talked against it. I personally think he is against it and rather see Champions league as it is.
He would be against it and probably it was too prematurish to talk about it at that stage. Let us see hownit transpires than just jumping on the manager.

Paul_Scholes18

He would be against it and probably it was too prematurish to talk about it at that stage. Let us see hownit transpires than just jumping on the manager.
Was nice to see Neville and Rio talk against it. Just how I did feel how Rio stated it.

Mindhunter

His job is to win matches on the pitch, not to start a mutiny against the club's private owners. He isn't some SAF figure who has immense sway over the fans and cannot be sacked. In the end, UEFA and the clubs with patch up as each can't exist without the other and then he will be the collateral damage.

Much better to focus on your job instead which is to close the gap to City.

Paul_Scholes18

His job is to win matches on the pitch, not to start a mutiny against the club's private owners. He isn't some SAF figure who has immense sway over the fans and cannot be sacked. In the end, UEFA and the clubs with patch up as each can't exist without the other and then he will be the collateral damage.

Much better to focus on your job instead which is to close the gap to City.
He could say it smartly like say he support the current league and CL which is the same as it was during his day of playing. Could have said he support leagues with relegation and promotion too.
He did not need to say he is against the super league fully.

Mindhunter

He could say it smartly like say he support the current league and CL which is the same as it was during his day of playing. Could have said he support leagues with relegation and promotion too.
He did not need to say he is against the super league fully.
But why would he do it? His team is playing well and we are firmly in second place. Many have questioned his pedigree and he is finally seeing the fruits of his labor. Why distract from that by making a political statement?

He doesn't know how this is going to pan out. He doesn't know the dynamics behind the scenes, whether this is serious or a negotiation tactic. He certainly shouldn't be pushed to pick up a fight against the club's owners. How do you think that would end? Wouldn't it destabilize the team and its performance?

If this continues and in a direction he doesn't like then I am pretty sure he will make it know, either privately or through an interview. It's irresponsible to start throwing out reactions like Gary Neville without letting this play out first.

Paul_Scholes18

But why would he do it? His team is playing well and we are firmly in second place. Many have questioned his pedigree and he is finally seeing the fruits of his labor. Why distract from that by making a political statement?

He doesn't know how this is going to pan out. He doesn't know the dynamics behind the scenes, whether this is serious or a negotiation tactic. He certainly shouldn't be pushed to pick up a fight against the club's owners. How do you think that would end? Wouldn't it destabilize the team and its performance?

If this continues and in a direction he doesn't like then I am pretty sure he will make it know, either privately or through an interview. It's irresponsible to start throwing out reactions like Gary Neville without letting this play out first.
Klopp has talked against it before, but it has not caused conflict. If he state his opinion smartly.

This is just awful though and would ruin the sport. If Ole has any sense he should not be supporting this . No more CL after this and that is the tournament that made him a club legend.

Mindhunter

Klopp has talked against it before, but it has not caused conflict. If he state his opinion smartly.

This is just awful though and would ruin the sport. If Ole has any sense he should not be supporting this . No more CL after this and that is the tournament that made him a club legend.
Let's not compare Ole with Klopp. Liverpool would be foolish to sack him over a comment but Ole isn't there yet. How many clubs Ole has managed who played in the CL final? He doesn't have enough experience in the competition to be able to form a strong opinion about it. As I said, I am sure he will say something eventually. Not just as a reaction to the news.

Edit: Before you quote his pedigree as a player in the competition, let me reiterate that I am pointing out his lack of experience as a manager and thereby the seriousness with which his words will be takes as opposed to Klopp's.

RORY65

Thought he did well today,, made good changes that swung the game in our favour and as noted by other posters our fitness levels are vastly improved. It wasn't perfect but given the number of games we've had that was a really solid win with a couple of lovely goals. This news about the Super League presumably means he has a job for life, other managers have gone when top 4 has been missed or was to be missed but there's no possibility of that now.

Paul_Scholes18

Let's not compare Ole with Klopp. Liverpool would be foolish to sack him over a comment but Ole isn't there yet. How many clubs Ole has managed who played in the CL final? He doesn't have enough experience in the competition to be able to form a strong opinion about it. As I said, I am sure he will say something eventually. Not just as a reaction to the news.

Edit: Before you quote his pedigree as a player in the competition, let me reiterate that I am pointing out his lack of experience as a manager and thereby the seriousness with which his words will be takes as opposed to Klopp's.
I am just disgusted with this news. Not going to watch a single game in that competition. If we still play in the PL and fa cup I may watch that still though.
Football feels ruined. Let us win the EL before we never will play in that again.

Mindhunter

I am just disgusted with this news. Not going to watch a single game in that competition. If we still play in the PL and fa cup I may watch that still though.
Football feels ruined. Let us win the EL before we never will play in that again.
Strong words. I understand your point. I think football was already ruined. What this does is change the status quo from the oil-rich clubs dominating the gave vs. the old firm clubs doing it now.

Football was dead when Man City won all the league titles in the last 8 years. It will again be dead when Newcastle United buys Halaand and Mbappe. It's impossible for the old firm clubs to compete with the financially doped clubs and UEFA has done nothing about it. I don't blame them if they feel scared about their competitiveness and financial health. Player salaries and transfer fees have reached ridiculous levels. It's impossible to compete with the oil-clubs anymore. More so after a year without fans on the ground.

Paul_Scholes18

Strong words. I understand your point. I think football was already ruined. What this does is change the status quo from the oil-rich clubs dominating the gave vs. the old firm clubs doing it now.

Football was dead when Man City won all the league titles in the last 8 years. It will again be dead when Newcastle United buys Halaand and Mbappe. It's impossible for the old firm clubs to compete with the financially doped clubs and UEFA has done nothing about it. I don't blame them if they feel scared about their competitiveness and financial health. Player salaries and transfer fees have reached ridiculous levels. It's impossible to compete with the oil-clubs anymore. More so after a year without fans on the ground.
I don't like the oil clubs, but everyone could still compete with them and even Leicester did beat Man City. Now teams can't compete with these clubs in the special league.
Also CL without these clubs will not be the same. All the history in that tournament will be lost. Moments like 1999 or 2008 will never happen again.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
For some reason I was listening to Jose's last press conference for us after our defeat to Liverpool. He kept on saying how we lack the physicality to match Liverpool and City. Ole when he took over pointed out the same by saying we lack fitness. The fact they he has made us one of the fittest team even after playing 3 games every week since December shows the amazing work Ole has done. We easily outrun most of the sides now. We look so fitter and that has to be credited towards the coaching staff.
Ole said he wants us to be high pressing team, few of the Jose fan boys mocked him saying how it was all lie. Some stats posted recently (from Sky site) showed we are among top 2 or 3 when it comes to winning ball higher up the pitch, Under jose we were 13th I think. Amazing how people talked so much shit and disappeared once we started to win lot of games.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
That was when nothing was confirmed. Lets see what he says now, it's not the first time that Klopp says completely contradicting to his previous statements.
My thoughts exactly. He will keep his powder dry and wait until it’s confirmed either way. He’s probably got 10+ years of club management left in him, I can’t imagine he’s going to completely rule out the option of managing the biggest clubs who pay the most and compete in the most elite competition.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
My thoughts exactly. He will keep his powder dry and wait until it’s confirmed either way. He’s probably got 10+ years of club management left in him, I can’t imagine he’s going to completely rule out the option of managing the biggest clubs who pay the most and compete in the most elite competition.
Exactly. Also huge revenue means the wages paid to the managers and players will be something else, no manager (at least who can manage top clubs) will go against the clubs or boycott the clubs in ESL.

This is the guy who said he will retire if he pays huge money for a player and then broke record for CB and GK. Now watch him say how he can't say anything at this moment and it's up to owners, he is just doing his job.

Hopefully managers speak out against this ESL.

Womp

idiot
Football isn't great enough and I'm genuinely not sure how he improves us from here - we just seem to be a team that is good, but not good enough and it's been a while since I've seen improvement, we go through periods where we do well and then revert to struggling for a while, been consistent since he's joined.

That being said, he is second and winning. As long as he continues to get results, he will keep his job and rightly so. He will have no excuses at all next season though. By then, he would have been backed and would have had ample time to improve this squad from a coaching pov.

With some signings and another summer, he will have to deliver imo.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Speaking out against the Super League wouldn’t be a bad way out for Ole. Being comfortably 2nd and in with a decent shout of a trophy is as good as it’s going to get for him. His stock is the highest it’s been since that initial honeymoon.

Klopp and Guardiola would also be forced into doing the same or looking like puppets. Then those two get sacked/walk away and Joel Glazer comes out and says ‘Psyche! The Super League was just a prank, bro!’ and everyone lives happily ever after.

Skåre Willoch

I don't see any upside about Ole speaking out against the super league at all. We all know he's(most likely) against it. Let another manager at a high profile club speak out first.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Its not like these managers learned about this yesterday like the rest of us did. They were probably part of the negotiation process so they won't come out today and speak against it.

SER19

Time to decide Ole. Are you a manager for United and the fans, or for the Glazers and Woodward?

Matriac

Its not like these managers learned about this yesterday like the rest of us did. They were probably part of the negotiation process so they won't come out today and speak against it.
What makes you think managers were part of the process?

At best they might have heard mumblings about it. But this is above their paygrade. Would be the owners/board running the show. Potentially the CEO isn't even involved.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
What makes you think managers were part of the process?

At best they might have heard mumblings about it. But this is above their paygrade. Would be the owners/board running the show. Potentially the CEO isn't even involved.
The owners are not going to negotiate competitive elements of the league without input from football people.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I don't see any upside about Ole speaking out against the super league at all. We all know he's(most likely) against it. Let another manager at a high profile club speak out first.
But if he did, how much I'd love him for that..

Matriac

The owners are not going to negotiate competitive elements of the league without input from football people.
Why wouldn't they? This is about money.
The manager's job is to take care of the players/tactics etc. and do as well as possible with the resources afforded to them.
The manager is sacked much more often than owners leave teams, so why would they listen to a manager for this?

And the way this is all framed, the intention is for the premier league to go on as normal, so there's essentially no competitive elements of the league needing to be discussed. Just a new competition to play in on the side.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Why would they? :lol: Sir Alex already mentioned that the club hasn't discuss this with him.

All they care is money. The football people is irrelevant for the money case. No risk of losing money for not getting top 4 or UCL spot & no danger of getting relegated.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Not sure the managers knew about it until very late on. Imagine they are all seriously annoyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.