Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
He looked surprised in the PC so maybe he didn't even knew about it.
The fact they dropped their own manager in it like that. I am sure someone on here said he only found out that morning. Ed probably told him their was going to be an announcement. Poor Ole probably thought it was going to be about his contract.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Unfair asking Ole to speak out.
Media don't care about that. They just want someone to be caught off guard. It's all about the headlines. He is an employee, people expecting him to come straight out about something he might not know much about is daft.

troylocker

Let's hope he's against it, but that battle needs to be fought after the season, if it needs to be fought. No need to start a fire now, with 9 games left and a trophy(ies) still to fight for.
I still think it's a big chance ESL gets trashed without our players, manager and coaching staff starting a war with our owners. Fans and media are doing a pretty god job of trashing the concept so far.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Media don't care about that. They just want someone to be caught off guard. It's all about the headlines. He is an employee, people expecting him to come straight out about something he might not know much about is daft.
Even if he is aware, it's still daft. How many of us can go in front of the press and slag off our employers?

Grande

Ole is a diplomat and pragmatist, but he has been one of the few to make statements supporting the green and gold protest against Glazers while at the club. Based on his previous track record of opinions and values, I have no doubt he is dead against this, no matter what he’ll feel obliged to say.

Chabon

Speaking out against the Super League wouldn’t be a bad way out for Ole. Being comfortably 2nd and in with a decent shout of a trophy is as good as it’s going to get for him. His stock is the highest it’s been since that initial honeymoon
Baiting the Glazers into firing him for insubordination would probably make him (even) more of a legend than winning a title would. Didn’t he used to be a patron of MUST?

Paul_Scholes18

Has he been asked? What did he say?
He was mainly playing diplomatic and downplaying not fully knowing about what it would be.
Thus he did not say he supported nor be against it.

It was probably the smart thing to do I say from Oles point of view, but would have been nice if he did speak a bit against it.

OleBoiii

As someone who has a lot of faith in Ole's project and feel confident that he can win us a major trophy, it would be heartbreaking to see it all potentially wasted because of the greedy cnuts at the top. I'd fully support his decision to leave, though. It would be a damn shame for him career wise, obviously. He's not gonna get another big job offer without winning a major trophy with us first.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
He was mainly playing diplomatic and downplaying not fully knowing about what it would be.

It was probably the smart thing to do I say from Oles point of view, but would have been nice if he did speak a bit against it.
When? Where are the quotes? He should be fully against it and not be afraid to say so. He was part of the treble our greatest ever achievement which will become meaningless if the super league goes ahead.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Not sure the managers knew about it until very late on. Imagine they are all seriously annoyed.
Tuchel has said he and the players knew nothing about it until yesterday, so its probably something thats been discussed at a board level across the clubs.

If we want the managers here to make any sort of impact they need to band together and do some form of collective action. One or two of them stomping their feet and treathening to walk wont be enough

Paul_Scholes18

When? Where are the quotes? He should be fully against it and not be afraid to say so. He was part of the treble our greatest ever achievement which will become meaningless if the super league goes ahead.
It was after the game. It was someone from sky or something like that who did the interview.
I just remember seeing on my swedish stream when they did show it.

I personally think he is against it, but not confident enough to speak out. Will be interesting to see what happens if it actually happens.

SirAF

Ageist
As someone who has a lot of faith in Ole's project and feel confident that he can win us a major trophy, it would be heartbreaking to see it all potentially wasted because of the greedy cnuts at the top. I'd fully support his decision to leave, though. It would be a damn shame for him career wise, obviously. He's not gonna get another big job offer without winning a major trophy with us first.
Which is why he's not walking away. Solskjaer is a good guy, but he's not stupid.

SirAF

Ageist
He would be stupid to have any part in the super league. Unless all he cares about is money.
I disagree, it would be daft to walk away from his dream job that he was *very* lucky to get. I wouldn't blame him at all for being a part of this.

Early days though, a lot can still change.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

How can he fully knowing about it when the news came out in the middle of the match and also the speculation happened during the match day?

He will be fully focusing on the match itself on Sunday, anything else that is not about Man United vs Burnley is irrelevant for him on Sunday. I don’t know about you but that’s how a true professional operates, not getting distracted easily during the working period of hours.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Which is why he's not walking away. Solskjaer is a good guy, but he's not stupid.
It depends on whether he's motivated by money and what his principles are.

Can't help but feel that if one Manager decides to walk several will. It's a question of which one goes first. End of the day, Ole will have got an insane amount of money being the United Manager for this time, money that he would not have dreamed of getting a few years ago when he was managing Molde.

UnofficialDevil

I disagree, it would be daft to walk away from his dream job that he was *very* lucky to get. I wouldn't blame him at all for being a part of this.

Early days though, a lot can still change.
Well in that case he should stop taking about United's DNA the United way, our history etc. But as you say still early days

OleBoiii

He would be stupid to have any part in the super league. Unless all he cares about is money.
'Stupid' is the wrong word. If he genuinely believes that there is no other way and he values his career more than public opinion/integrity, then staying is the smart choice in Ole's case. Klopp on the other hand, would be wise to leave. If Bayern etc refuse to join the ESL, then he could very well end up coaching them. Or maybe the national team.

I do feel sorry for players and managers now. They have been put in a hopeless situation. Football is literally their life.

jackal&hyde

Under no circumstances do I want Ole to speak out on the ESL issue. It was not a decision made by him and he has zero influence. The fans want "blood", we should get it from Woodward/ Glazers not managers or players.

UnofficialDevil

'Stupid' is the wrong word. If you genuinely believe that there is no other way, and you value your career more than public opinion/integrity', then staying is the smart choice in Ole's case. Klopp on the other hand, would be wise to leave. If Bayern etc refuse to join the ESL, then he could very well end up coaching them. Or maybe the national team.

I do feel sorry for players and managers now. They have been put in a hopeless situation. Football is literally their life.
Ole has already made more than enough money to live a very lavish lifestyle for the rest of his life. He was part of the 1999 treble winning team, and always talks about the United way, our dna etc. He is part of our history. His managerial career wouldn't be damaged if he did resign. He would still go on and manage at a lower level and remain a legend for United, even more for going against the super league. And let's be honest how we'll would he do in the super league anyway?

OleBoiii

His managerial career wouldn't be damaged if he did resign. He would still go on and manage at a lower level and remain a legend for United
I disagree. Let's say that he wins the PL or CL in a year or two only to drop out of the top 4 and get sacked. In this scenario he would probably have many decent options on the table. Practically all PL teams(depending on their situation) would seriously consider a PL winner who also managed to successfully rebuild a team. Without a big trophy clubs would be more careful. Even the lower level teams, as saving teams from the relegation zone(for instance) is a very different task.

Ultimately, managers will be judged on their ability to win stuff. At least managers for the big clubs. And right now that is pretty much the only thing Ole is missing.

UnofficialDevil

I disagree. Let's say that he wins the PL or CL in a year or two only to drop out of the top 4 and get sacked. In this scenario he would probably have many decent options on the table. Practically all PL teams(depending on their situation) would seriously consider a PL winner who also managed to successfully rebuild a team. Without a big trophy clubs would be more careful. Even the lower level teams, as saving teams from the relegation zone(for instance) is a very different task.

Ultimately, managers will be judged on their ability to win stuff. At least managers for the big clubs. And right now that is pretty much the only thing Ole is missing.
That’s ok, nothing wrong with us disagreeing.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Baiting the Glazers into firing him for insubordination would probably make him (even) more of a legend than winning a title would. Didn’t he used to be a patron of MUST?
He was. Still wondering what happened to Jose, with no replacement in place.

MattofManchester

It's a tricky situation for this man.

On one side, he's in his dream job.

On the other, these moves are synonymous with the club he loves falling from grace, tradition and watching it get devoured by greed.

I've had doubts about him, as have many, but this is one case I want to see a surefire decision and opinion from him.

This is just my hope, anyway.

Give me principles. Give me integrity. Show me that's not dead, good sir.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
There won't be a single manager attacking their club for this. I hope people do realize this.

These are all managers of elite clubs. If you have an issue with the stance, these clubs including City and Pool will happily replace their manager with someone who is as capable as them, or the next best man. The queue is pretty long, and there'll be hundreds of managers who won't mind taking the club's side to SL.

It just seems like another stick to beat Ole with, and say that he is a Glazer apologist. UAE and Qatar have a terrible human rights record. I didn't see either Poch, Tuchel or Pep say anything there, and this despite Pep being vocal during Catalan independence vote. I don't remember any Chelsea manager raise concerns about Abramovic and his ties with Putin. I don't think even Fergie went against Glazers. And I can go on and on.

It's easy to demand accountability from these people but how many of us would take a similar action. Nearly every company would have done something that goes against your principles - Google, Amazon, Pharma companies, consulting companies. Would you reject job offers from them? How about refuse to use any of their services? So, how can anyone demand any of the managers to independently go on a rant against the club.

The only way this might work is if all the managers and FIFPRO come together and release a statement boycotting SL, which let's be honest will never happen

devips

There won't be a single manager attacking their club for this. I hope people do realize this.

These are all managers of elite clubs. If you have an issue with the stance, these clubs including City and Pool will happily replace their manager with someone who is as capable as them, or the next best man. The queue is pretty long, and there'll be hundreds of managers who won't mind taking the club's side to SL.

It just seems like another stick to beat Ole with, and say that he is a Glazer apologist. UAE and Qatar have a terrible human rights record. I didn't see either Poch, Tuchel or Pep say anything there, and this despite Pep being vocal during Catalan independence vote. I don't remember any Chelsea manager raise concerns about Abramovic and his ties with Putin. I don't think even Fergie went against Glazers. And I can go on and on.

It's easy to demand accountability from these people but how many of us would take a similar action. Nearly every company would have done something that goes against your principles - Google, Amazon, Pharma companies, consulting companies. Would you reject job offers from them? How about refuse to use any of their services? So, how can anyone demand any of the managers to independently go on a rant against the club.

The only way this might work is if all the managers and FIFPRO come together and release a statement boycotting SL, which let's be honest will never happen
Spot on.

sport2793

The people in this thread who want Ole to go to war against the owners are Ole out and see this as an opportunity to get rid of him.

UnofficialDevil

Wrong examples all of them, not the same in any way, Ole was part of our 1999 treble winning team, he is part of our history always talking about the United way, the United DNA, the right way, respect our history etc and rightly so. Going along with this monstrosity that completely disrespects our football club and what it stands for, resets our history and turns us into exactly the opposite of what Ole has been talking about over the last two years would turn him into a money merchant from a United legend.

Paul_Scholes18

The people in this thread who want Ole to go to war against the owners are Ole out and see this as an opportunity to get rid of him.
I am the opposite. If he would challenge the owners I like him to stay. If he is just a yes man then I am not happy to keep.

SoCross

Wrong examples all of them, not the same in any way, Ole was part of our 1999 treble winning team, he is part of our history always talking about the United way, the United DNA, the right way, respect our history etc and rightly so. Going along with this monstrosity that completely disrespects our football club and what it stands for, resets our history and turns us into exactly the opposite of what Ole has been talking about over the last two years would turn him into a money merchant from a United legend.
What did you feel when there was not a peep from SAF against the Glazers? You are talking about a man’s job here, smart move is to stay put and watch how everything develops.

Eriku

I am the opposite. If he would challenge the owners I like him to stay. If he is just a yes man then I am not happy to keep.
Shit position to be in. Either way you’ll be left disappointed :lol:

What did you feel when there was not a peep from SAF against the Glazers? You are talking about a man’s job here, smart move is to stay put and watch how everything develops.
Cue arguments that you can’t compare Ole to Fergie.

SoCross

:lol:
Go on Ole, challenge your employers, then the Caf will want you to stay in your job. Didn’t realise we were paying his salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.