Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_Scholes18

Shit position to be in. Either way you’ll be left disappointed :lol:

Cue arguments that you can’t compare Ole to Fergie.
Yeah I feel this superleague stuff is going to see me suffer even if it ends with a new CL that gives us more money.

We know for sure at this point that Glaziers would piss at our history as much as they want for extra cash. I guess we almost knew it before, but at least they did not want to abandon all we stand for and they have not changed our names etc. Now it feels they are ready to just take that final horrible step.

sport2793

Are you for the super league or against?
As an American fan I'm on the fence. I'm used to franchise leagues like the NBA and know that it can still be exciting despite the same 30 or so teams always competing. The reason is because there are mechanisms in place like a salary cap that increase the odds a bad team can rise to the top (this happened with the team I support this season, the Suns).

However, context is important. The US leagues never had promotion/relegation to start with whereas football was born out of this. There is an inherent sense of injustice that will always follow the formation of the Super League as many clubs with rich histories will be ruthlessly left behind. Culture and livelihoods will be permanently and negatively affected. So it's hard to see the Super League as anything more than a greedy money grab.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
SAF is not the current manager of Manchester United is he? Ole is. He was the manager when the Glazers took over, didn’t see him talking out against them.
I am talking about the Super League though aren't I. I didn't say Ole should have gone against the Glazers before this did I? This is a new situation that SAF would definitely disagree with if he was still our manager.

Eriku

Yeah I feel this superleague stuff is going to see me suffer even if it ends with a new CL that gives us more money.

We know for sure at this point that Glaziers would piss at our history as much as they want for extra cash. I guess we almost knew it before, but at least they did not want to abandon all we stand for and they have not changed our names etc. Now it feels they are ready to just take that final horrible step.
Same. Seriously thinking about what my relationship with football will look like if this goes through.

UnofficialDevil

As an American fan I'm on the fence. I'm used to franchise leagues like the NBA and know that it can still be exciting despite the same 30 or so teams always competing. The reason is because there are mechanisms in place like a salary cap that increase the odds a bad team can rise to the top (this happened with the team I support this season, the Suns).

However, context is important. The US leagues never had promotion/relegation to start with whereas football was born out of this. There is an inherent sense of injustice that will always follow the formation of the Super League as many clubs with rich histories will be ruthlessly left behind. Culture and livelihoods will be permanently and negatively affected. So it's hard to see the Super League as anything more than a greedy money grab.
This is what American football club owners can't live with. They just can't accept that their businesses aren't guaranteed money without having to earn it. How I wish they had never bought our club and just stuck to Basketball. (No disrespect to you) I just cant stand the Glazers.

Paul_Scholes18

Same. Seriously thinking about what my relationship with football will look like if this goes through.
I will keep following my local team in the swedish league. I am not going to watch or pay to watch the super league.

PL I might still follow, but not sure. It will be so different. I don't know if I can support us anymore since all I can think of is that there is only one winner and that is the Glaziers and the other super league team owners.

SoCross

I am talking about the Super League though aren't I. I didn't say Ole should have gone against the Glazers before this did I? This is a new situation that SAF would definitely disagree with if he was still our manager.
How is the super league applicable to Fergie? :houllier: He’s not our manager any more. Of course he can speak out against it. Definitely no guarantee he would speak out against it IF he were our current manager either given the fact that he did not speak out against the Glazers when they loaded debt onto the club.

This is such a weird way to criticise Ole:lol:

UnofficialDevil

How is the super league applicable to Fergie? :houllier: He’s not our manager any more. Of course he can speak out against it. Definitely no guarantee he would speak out against it IF he were our current manager either given the fact that he did not speak out against the Glazers when they loaded debt onto the club.

This is such a weird way to criticise Ole:lol:
I am not criticising Ole. He hasn't spoken about the matter yet. I have a feeling he will be against this publicly to be honest.
Also SAF is still officially our Global Ambassador so it will be interesting to see what he says.

sport2793

This is what American football club owners can't live with. They just can't accept that their businesses aren't guaranteed money without having to earn it. How I wish they had never bought our club and just stuck to Basketball. (No disrespect to you) I just cant stand the Glazers.
Not that it makes your point any different but none of the American owners involved with the Super League own basketball teams as far as I know. Ironically, the American Football team the Glazers own are the reigning champions while the Liverpool guy owns one of the most prestigious baseball teams.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
The people in this thread who want Ole to go to war against the owners are Ole out and see this as an opportunity to get rid of him.
I'm Ole in beyond reason and I want him to walk out the door and make it very clear why he's leaving.

I get it if he stays. But my preference is for him to take a stand with the fans of the Stretford End.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Wrong examples all of them, not the same in any way, Ole was part of our 1999 treble winning team, he is part of our history always talking about the United way, the United DNA, the right way, respect our history etc and rightly so. Going along with this monstrosity that completely disrespects our football club and what it stands for, resets our history and turns us into exactly the opposite of what Ole has been talking about over the last two years would turn him into a money merchant from a United legend.
Remind me what was Fergie's stance when Glazers took over?

Hell, I dare you to go to war against the firm you're working with for some thing that you find upsetting. Easier said when you have nothing to lose, but there's no employee who'd just go on a rant against the owner of the club.

rotherham_red

Wrong examples all of them, not the same in any way, Ole was part of our 1999 treble winning team, he is part of our history always talking about the United way, the United DNA, the right way, respect our history etc and rightly so. Going along with this monstrosity that completely disrespects our football club and what it stands for, resets our history and turns us into exactly the opposite of what Ole has been talking about over the last two years would turn him into a money merchant from a United legend.
Fergie literally won the treble in 1999 and then told protesting fans in Denmark to feck off to Chelsea in 2006/7.

In what world are you expecting Ole to literally spark a mutiny within the club itself, if the greatest manager in the club's history, under much more serene circumstances might I add, wouldn't?

Dr. StrangeHate

Well we are going to be relegated out of both Europe and the PL under Ole. I guess that Ole sacking thread wasn't far off the mark after all.

UnofficialDevil

Remind me what was Fergie's stance when Glazers took over?

Hell, I dare you to go to war against the firm you're working with for some thing that you find upsetting. Easier said when you have nothing to lose, but there's no employee who'd just go on a rant against the owner of the club.
Fergie didnt know how the Glazers were going to function the club when they took over what was he supposed to say? and to be honest up until this super league malarkey there was no need.

You dare me to go to war against the firm I'm working with for something that I find upsetting?

Again you couldn't have used a worse example. Completely irrelevant in so many ways. I am not a multimillionaire for starters, and its not "just something upsetting".
They are going to destroy our clubs history and what it stands for. Ole is part of that history, got his job because of that history, and has rightly been talking about how important our history is and how much he loves our club since the day he signed. It would contradict everything he has said.
Honestly I'm surprised you are comparing this situation to someone being upset at the office. Our football club is being destroyed along with what it stands for.

Last edited:

MU655

Difficult position. If he does it alone, he will probably get the sack, eventually. He needs the backing of, at least, our biggest players: Pogba, Fernandes, and Rashford. I think it will be harder for the board to deal with then.

UnofficialDevil

Fergie literally won the treble in 1999 and then told protesting fans in Denmark to feck off to Chelsea in 2006/7.

In what world are you expecting Ole to literally spark a mutiny within the club itself, if the greatest manager in the club's history, under much more serene circumstances might I add, wouldn't?
But I'm not saying SAF or Ole should have said anything about how the Glazers took us over or how they run us, I never have. This is a new completely different situation and much more serious.

anant

Fergie didnt know how the Glazers were going to function the club when they took over what was he supposed to say? and to be honest up until this super league malarkey there was no need.

You dare me to go to war against the firm I'm working with for something that I find upsetting?

Again you couldn't have used a worse example. Completely irrelevant in so many ways. I am not a multimillionaire for starters, and its not "just something upsetting".
They are going to destroy our clubs history and what it stands for. Ole is part of that history, got his job because of that history, and has rightly been talking about how important our history is and how much he loves our club since the day he signed. It would contradict everything he has said.
Honestly I'm surprised you are comparing this situation to someone being upset at the office. Our football club is being destroyed along with what it stands for.
Rubbish. Everyone knew how the deal was being financed. Fergie could have taken a stance then and being the most important person in world football then, he could have put a lot of pressure.

How does being a millionaire matter. You can always go on a rant and defend your principles and find a better job. You'd lose a few thousand pounds by staying unemployed, Ole would lose in millions

UnofficialDevil

Rubbish. Everyone knew how the deal was being financed. Fergie could have taken a stance then and being the most important person in world football then, he could have put a lot of pressure.

How does being a millionaire matter. You can always go on a rant and defend your principles and find a better job. You'd lose a few thousand pounds by staying unemployed, Ole would lose in millions
A multimillionaire at 45 could never work a single day again in his life without the slightest of worries. And again, I have never said SAF or Ole should have said anything about how the Glazers took us over or how they have run us up to now, this is a completely different matter.

Zen86

Difficult position. If he does it alone, he will probably get the sack, eventually. He needs the backing of, at least, our biggest players: Pogba, Fernandes, and Rashford. I think it will be harder for the board to deal with then.
Harder yes, but I don’t think the prospect of losing even the entire team and backroom staff would deter the Glazers from keeping course. There will be plenty more to take their place. The only thing that will stop them is a serious threat to future profitability.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I'm Ole in beyond reason and I want him to walk out the door and make it very clear why he's leaving.

I get it if he stays. But my preference is for him to take a stand with the fans of the Stretford End.
If the ESL does go through next season, I'd have the most utmost respect for him if he quits. Not that the Glazers would even bother. They'd just employ someone else. But I hope Ole quits. He'd be one of the last legends of the club formerly known as Manchester United.

anant

A multimillionaire at 45 could never work a single day again in his life without the slightest of worries. And again, I have never said SAF or Ole should have said anything about how the Glazers took us over or how they have run us up to now, this is a completely different matter.
Jesus! Different matters but equally important. How many managers have spoken openly against their employers? It's a really simple question.

Fergie championed Glazers throughout his reign and is now director. Pep didn't speak against UAE. Poch or Tuchel did not speak against Qatar. None of the chelsea managers spoke against Abramovic. And these are bigger issues than ESL.

UnofficialDevil

Jesus! Different matters but equally important. How many managers have spoken openly against their employers? It's a really simple question.

Fergie championed Glazers throughout his reign and is now director. Pep didn't speak against UAE. Poch or Tuchel did not speak against Qatar. None of the chelsea managers spoke against Abramovic. And these are bigger issues than ESL.
I don't think they are bigger issues than the ESL. Anyway I'm fine with us having different opinions.

Abhinav

Why are people turning against managers for not taking a strong stand in the media? They were not involved in the decision making and its not easy to be put in that position.
I actually feel for Ole and the players. They have done well this season to get in the champions league and be more competitive in the premier league. All of this will be overshadowed by the decisions of a few greedy men. Imagine after bringing the team back to its old ethos after painstaking work, as soon as you believe that you are building something meaningful, something like this comes in and completely makes all your effort meaningless if United are banned from the league and CL.

UnofficialDevil

Human right violations aren't bigger issues than ESL?
Bravo:houllier::houllier::houllier:
You talked about the Glazers, the UAE, Qatar and Abramovic. Not all are involved in human right issues so I dont know why you are now choosing to isolate the subject. This is a bigger issue as far as how it effects football as we know it and what it will turn into. So spare me the patronizing.

Last edited:

anant

You talked about the Glazers, the UAE, Qatar and Abramovic. Not all are involved in human right issues so I dont know why you are now choosing isolating the subject. This is a bigger issue as far as how it effects football as we know it and what it will turn into. So spare me the patronizing.
Apart from the Glazers takeover, all others are human rights issues and all including Glazer takeover(the manner of it) were bigger issues than this.

You're literally asking Ole to show middle finger to the owners and hope he gets away with it. Literally no manager will do what you're asking him to, and surely he wouldn't have done yesterday, before SL was officially announced.

Managers are replaceable. There is a reason why Tuchel avoided the question, Klopp didn't really say anything against the club but used the whataboutery route. Among players as well, only Bruno and Cancelo have said anything from these 12 clubs, and it was just echoing Neto's thoughts rather than post something like Ander did. No player outside these 12, with a decent chance of a transfer to one of these clubs has said anything as well, for the obvious fear.

Like I said earlier, unless a manager or player knows that 90% of the people at the club will back him, they won't say anything. Among these 12 clubs, it's just Pep and Klopp who genuinely have the power to do something, but Klopp hasn't spoken against his overlords, and I'm expecting Pep to say something similar.

BTW, Athletic released a pretty decent article on this. Explains these issues perfectly.

SER19

He doesn't have to attack anybody.

Eg

'i love the champions league. Its a special competition for me for obvious reasons. I think in the last few days we've seen that lots of fans feel the same and id like to think, that whatever happens, the feelings of the fans will be considered. Because without them it doesn't matter what you call a competition'

Something simple would go down well. Nodding along like a toy dog won't endear him to anybody

Roboc7

I expect he’ll be similar to Klopp and be diplomatic and not commit too much either way. Ultimately he wants to keep his job and that will be his priority.

UnofficialDevil

Apart from the Glazers takeover, all others are human rights issues and all including Glazer takeover(the manner of it) were bigger issues than this.

You're literally asking Ole to show middle finger to the owners and hope he gets away with it. Literally no manager will do what you're asking him to, and surely he wouldn't have done yesterday, before SL was officially announced.

Managers are replaceable. There is a reason why Tuchel avoided the question, Klopp didn't really say anything against the club but used the whataboutery route. Among players as well, only Bruno and Cancelo have said anything from these 12 clubs, and it was just echoing Neto's thoughts rather than post something like Ander did. No player outside these 12, with a decent chance of a transfer to one of these clubs has said anything as well, for the obvious fear.

Like I said earlier, unless a manager or player knows that 90% of the people at the club will back him, they won't say anything. Among these 12 clubs, it's just Pep and Klopp who genuinely have the power to do something, but Klopp hasn't spoken against his overlords, and I'm expecting Pep to say something similar.

BTW, Athletic released a pretty decent article on this. Explains these issues perfectly.
I haven't criticized Ole for what he did or didn't say yesterday that would be unfair it wasn't anything more than a rumour when he was asked.
Like I've said I feel Ole is a different case to Klopp and Pep neither of whom are Liverpool or City legends. Why on earth would Klopp or Pep be worried about their clubs history or future, they are just employees. I wouldn't expect Jose Moyes or Van gaal to say anything if they were currently our managers either.
Ole is a Manchester United legend he is part of our history. He mainly got the job based on that and his attachment and love for the club, he strongly believes in the United DNA, the United way, the United fans, wants what is best for the club. If he loves this club and its fans so much which I believe he does, shouldn't he be an even bigger legend and say what he really believes. That's all I'm saying. They are destroying our club and our league.
Have you got a link on the Athletic article please?

Last edited:

Paul_Scholes18

He doesn't have to attack anybody.

Eg

'i love the champions league. Its a special competition for me for obvious reasons. I think in the last few days we've seen that lots of fans feel the same and id like to think, that whatever happens, the feelings of the fans will be considered. Because without them it doesn't matter what you call a competition'

Something simple would go down well. Nodding along like a toy dog won't endear him to anybody
Exactly it would be easy to make his point clear. If he says nothing it is just to protect his job and being a typical yes man.
I can't think he really wants this apart from maybe earning more money.

sugar_kane

Feel gutted for Ole on this ESL stuff, he’s worked his arse off trying to get the team back on track in the right manner only for this news to smash the legacy he was trying to rebuild to pieces with a few weeks of the season to go.

All the while trying to achieve this under bosses who have now 100% confirmed themselves to be complete crooks who don’t understand the first thing about the game and hold the club and it’s fans in contempt.

Whether you rate Ole as a manager or not you can’t deny he has been trying to do right by the club’s fans and history since he was appointed, this must be a bitter blow for him.

Raveneye

If this isn't resolved by the end of the season, I reckon Ole has a more powerful hand to play than it might look like at first.

Ole has the dressing room. The players trust him and have bought into his vision.

The staff love him. Morale is at its best since Fergie's time.

The populace, the media and the political leaders are outraged.

If Ole sounds out the players and they're willing, he can lead a walk out. Refuse to play. Have Rashford organize a food drive or something. With Ole as the face people can be united in putting pressure on the Glazers the only way it matters to them, and with the players support the Glazers would know their venture is dead. They couldn't sue everyone to get back their losses, nor could they just buy a whole new team of similar quality.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Feel gutted for Ole on this ESL stuff, he’s worked his arse off trying to get the team back on track in the right manner only for this news to smash the legacy he was trying to rebuild to pieces with a few weeks of the season to go.

All the while trying to achieve this under bosses who have now 100% confirmed themselves to be complete crooks who don’t understand the first thing about the game and hold the club and it’s fans in contempt.

Whether you rate Ole as a manager or not you can’t deny he has been trying to do right by the club’s fans and history since he was appointed, this must be a bitter blow for him.
All the managers and players of these clubs so far looked as lost as the rest of us with this shit. Which begs the question how tf have all the clubs done this with it not filtering to any of the managers. fecking disgrace.

always_hoping

Couldn't agree more. On course for the most successful season since Ferguson retired and then for this shite to happen with a handful of games remaining.

Confirms what we all knew, regardless of the manager and amount of criticism Van Gaal, Moyes, Jose and Ole have got the root of the problem is the pure cnuts of owners.

Tapori

All the managers and players of these clubs so far looked as lost as the rest of us with this shit. Which begs the question how tf have all the clubs done this with it not filtering to any of the managers. fecking disgrace.
Couldn't all players simply walk and talk on the pitch for every ESL game if they are contractually forced to participate and for every match to finish 0-0?

Surely in football employment law, you couldn't terminate them on that basis?

troylocker

Couldn't all players simply walk and talk on the pitch for every ESL game if they are contractually forced to participate and for every match to finish 0-0?

Surely in football employment law, you couldn't terminate them on that basis?
I think the owners could claim they neglected their jobs, and terminate their contracts after a warning or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.