Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

James35

I fear if he loses the Europa he won't last next season when we inevitably do worse, I can easily see Liveprool and Chelsea being above us and City for certain.

He really needs this trophy so we need to win these last two league games to give us confidence and momentum.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
The "Ole in" group doesn't need to get offended. No one is asking him to be sacked. There are flaws in the game management and he has to get it right next season. And yes , if we lose matches there will be fingers pointed at him just like he has been credited for wins.

Get that 2 more wins and make it 76 from 38 games, which would be just 2.0 ppg. That's a hugely successful season.

BlueHaze

I still will never understand what his plan was when signing Donny. £40m if I'm not wrong for top 3 best players in Ajax the recent years and he's been used less than Fred. How can you sign a talented hard working lad like Donny and then just let him rot on the bench because McTom and Fred are so much better? Really?

Womp

idiot
I still will never understand what his plan was when signing Donny. £40m if I'm not wrong for top 3 best players in Ajax the recent years and he's been used less than Fred. How can you sign a talented hard working lad like Donny and then just let him rot on the bench because McTom and Fred are so much better? Really?
Same reason Pogba is playing out left and Rashford is playing off the right where he is clearly not half as good - he is probably scared or not capable of playing a more expansive style. Fred and Scott make us harder to break down, both run around a lot, both get involved in tackles and winning the ball back - it's been important for our counter attacking set up

He'sRaldo

The worst part is the money should have gone to a solid DM to replace one of McFred, instead of being wasted.

If a DM keeps not being bought, then it's pretty clear it's 100% Ole's choice to play those two in midfield week in week out.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Some very glaring holes he needs to fill, RW, CB and CDM. Fred and McTominay aren't good enough to compete against the best teams. Our keeper situation is looking more bleak by the day. His set piece tactics need some serious work.

Suedesi

His game management is so poor - you could see Liverpool on the ascendancy throughout the first half, they were toying with us in the second half and not a fecking adjustment until the 70th minute.

Clueless tactics

AshRK

He is probably the only manager who gets scrutinized left right and center after every loss. You can even see the happiness in the likes of duncan castles, richard keys, burley etc. whenever we lose. I never understood why so much bitterness towards him. He always seemes a nice guy even in playing days, so why so much animosity is hard to understand.

padzilla

Hipster
Bringing Matic on with a few minutes left when we are desperately chasing an equaliser was a terrible decision. Playing McT who just give the ball away constantly is also going to raise more and more questions the longer it goes on.

jamesjimmybyrondean

He is probably the only manager who gets scrutinized left right and center after every loss. You can even see the happiness in the likes of duncan castles, richard keys, burley etc. whenever we lose. I never understood why so much bitterness towards him. He always seemes a nice guy even in playing days, so why so much animosity is hard to understand.
Because he hadn't proved to be a top manager

AshRK

Because he hadn't proved to be a top manager
So can a journalist mock troll him after every loss. Why not the same rule for arteta or other rookie managers. Anyways he does deserve to be acknowledged for the work he has done at the club. Not mocked or trolled after every loss like some journalists have been doing.

Rustyspider13

I'm not sure Ole got a lot wrong today. The team picked itself considering the schedule and the rotation involved. Who do you play instead of McFred against Liverpool's press? VdB who couldn't impose himself against Leicester? Matic who can no longer run? Pogba who got outrun by Roma while playing in a midfield 2? At the end of the day, Ole is working with who he's got. Just like when he was picking Perreira and Lingard. We can say that Greenwood should've started instead of Rashford, but Mason just played 120 mins in the last 5 days, so there is logic to keeping him on the bench.

We started well, got the goal we deserved. But even then you could see the problems. McT won a fair few balls high up the pitch but never even tried to pick out the forwards who were making runs. Liverpool's first big chance came when Shaw couldn't make a simple ball down the channel to Pogba. When your best technical player makes that kind of mistake you know you're in for a bad night. But Dean did his job and we were safe.

Their first goal was a freak of a goal with Pogba falling on the ball which prevented Shaw from clearing it. Unlucky, but these things happen. The second goal should've easily been dealt with by Pogba at the far post. Ole isn't telling Pogba not to do his only job at the end of the half. The third goal is a complete embarrassment by Fred, Shaw and then Dean. Lindelof didn't cover himself in glory while trying to block the shot either. When multiple players screw up in quick succession, what can a manager do?

His substitutions were also logical. Greenwood was our only attacking sub and nearly scored. He knew the risk of putting Pogba in midfield but had no choice. The Matic sub at the end was to have another passer on the pitch to provide a long ball into the box, true hail mary stuff at the end of game. Bailly was also booked. It didn't work out, but you can see the reason why it would be made.

We can use hindsight to say Ole made wrong decisions but they have logic to them. Another day they could've worked, today they didn't. A lot of our fans, including me, wanted us to go at Liverpool today. But at the end of the day, football matches are won in midfield and our midfield 2 can't hold a candle to Liverpool's. Unless Pogba suddenly falls in love with defending or Matic grows new legs, the only way to move forward is to get new midfielders. That's what the summer window is for. We can only hope that we get them.

Red_toad

Poor team selection, poor tactics and poor substitutions. Ole got this game all wrong. Maguire was a big miss, but we were so poor.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
People reacting game by game to make a point is pretty pathetic. Just like anyone who tries or tried to convince anyone Henderson was better then De Gea.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
People reacting game by game to make a point is pretty pathetic. Just like anyone who tries or tried to convince anyone Henderson was better then De Gea.
People reacting game by game is what happens on a place called a forum. Hopefully you know where you are.

hubbuh

The perfect Glazers manager.
Oh please. He's been the best manager since fecking Fergie. He's clearly a fan's manager. No one wants United to succeed more than him, we all know this. He's done a pretty good job this year, he's got the potential to keep growing. Don't portray him as some fecking Glazer shill 'cos that's bollocks and really unfair. Ole is one of us.

hubbuh

Every now and again he reminds us what a crap manager he is in terms of his tactics, it's happened twice in a row now.
Has everyone lost their mind or something? He's just had to contend with a semi-final, securing top 4/second place and massive games against Leicester and Liverpool in the space of 8 fecking days. We're into the final, we've got second sewn up, it's pretty darn kosher. Yes, today was disappointing. Let's not make a bigger deal out of it than needs be, though. We are safe in second.

rotherham_red

Poor individual errors gifted them the game today. There was literally nothing they did which carved us open for any of the goals. Two poor set pieces, one comedy of errors from Shaw, Fred, and Henderson, and a poor touch from Matic leaving us overexposed on the counter.

Just a poor, poor day all round. And to think we started so brightly and so well...

hubbuh

Poor individual errors gifted them the game today. There was literally nothing they did which carved us open for any of the goals. Two poor set pieces, one comedy of errors from Shaw, Fred, and Henderson, and a poor touch from Matic leaving us overexposed on the counter.

Just a poor, poor day all round. And to think we started so brightly and so well...
Well said. The players were really not at the races today. Player of the season Shaw was central to one of their goals, so we know it was just one of those days. It stings, but let's just lick our wounds and move on. We'll get them next year.

Eddy_JukeZ

I just don't think we're ever going to win titles under this coaching staff.

He has done a good job of solidifying us as top 4 certs though.

We go through too many lulls in games. We still don't really press well as a team nor bypass a coordinate press well enough as a team.

Hopefully we win the Europa as a confidence booster going into next season.

There's simply no excuses to not challenge for the title.

rotherham_red

We go through too many lulls in games. We still don't really press well as a team nor bypass a coordinate press well enough as a team.

But I think you have to factor in this squad of players. The vast majority of whom were squad players under Jose. Ole has brought these guys up to the standard of top 4, but I think third is about the maximum for these guys. We need to buy proper quality to improve the team and squad. The likes of McFred and Lindelof, and arguably Martial too, are squad players in a properly title chasing team, and until they are upgraded we won't get much better. And that would be the same for any manager.

Eddy_JukeZ

But I think you have to factor in this squad of players. The vast majority of whom were squad players under Jose. Ole has brought these guys up to the standard of top 4, but I think third is about the maximum for these guys. We need to buy proper quality to improve the team and squad. The likes of McFred and Lindelof, and arguably Martial too, are squad players in a properly title chasing team, and until they are upgraded we won't get much better. And that would be the same for any manager.
People underrate our squad too much IMO.

We're about to finish 2nd, so 3rd being the maximum doesn't really make sense.

Martial is no longer 1st choice to be fair.

I don't disagree regarding McFred and Lindelof. I'd rather sign two starting XI midfielders and a center back than Sancho personally.

hubbuh

Honestly, every single team goes through lulls in games. The only difference is Fred and McTominay struggle to see us through those sketchy moments. City don't dominate for 90 minutes, but they know how to play through phases of play where they aren't in control. We seem to lose our heads and end up conceding. There's a lack of composure back there that stems from Fred and McTominay. We really aren't far off competing with City, who aren't even that good.

Eddy_JukeZ

Honestly, every single team goes through lulls in games. The only difference is Fred and McTominay struggle to see us through those sketchy moments. City don't dominate for 90 minutes, but they know how to play through phases of play where they aren't in control. We seem to lose our heads and end up conceding. There's a lack of composure back there that stems from Fred and McTominay. We really aren't far off competing with City, who aren't even that good.
We go through too many lulls in games. That's my point.

How much of it is personnel vs coaching remains to be seen.

I don't think we're far off competing either, because I think City/Pool aren't as good as they used to be and we have improved. I just have doubts our coaching staff as is can make that next step.

rotherham_red

People underrate our squad too much IMO.

We're about to finish 2nd, so 3rd being the maximum doesn't really make sense.

Martial is no longer 1st choice to be fair.

I don't disagree regarding McFred and Lindelof. I'd rather sign two starting XI midfielders and a center back than Sancho personally.
We're about to finish second largely because Liverpool fell off a cliff. This is also the first time since Fergie was here that we're even getting top 4 back to back. I dunno, from that vantage point I think my view of the squad is pretty reasonable.

hubbuh

We go through too many lulls in games. That's my point.

How much of it is personnel vs coaching remains to be seen.

I don't think we're far off competing either, because I think City/Pool aren't as good as they used to be and we have improved. I just have doubts our coaching staff as is can make that next step.
Well, that's the interesting point. Next season is make or break for me, in terms of management. I don't think the lulls in games is a reason to question where Ole is taking us though, that's just how football is. I think if we had better options than Fred and/or McTominay, we'd see more complete performances. What happened today with those two was horrific.

Eddy_JukeZ

We're about to finish second largely because Liverpool fell off a cliff. This is also the first time since Fergie was here that we're even getting top 4 back to back. I dunno, from that vantage point I think my view of the squad is pretty reasonable.
Maybe their squad isn't as good as you think then.

Us getting top 4 for the 1st time back to back is more damning on the managers prior to Ole than anything to do with the squad strength IMO.

hubbuh

I'm with you. At the start of the season we signed Cavani, VdB, and Telles (first team players). That's slim fecking pickings, considering the gap we're trying to bridge with City.

Eddy_JukeZ

Well, that's the interesting point. Next season is make or break for me, in terms of management. I don't think the lulls in games is a reason to question where Ole is taking us though, that's just how football is. I think if we had better options than Fred and/or McTominay, we'd see more complete performances. What happened today with those two was horrific.
My hopes for our midfield don't really increase when I see us constantly linked to Rice.

Ole has to deliver a title challenge and a good run in the CL next season. He's had more than enough time.

hubbuh

My hopes for our midfield don't really increase when I see us constantly linked to Rice.

Ole has to deliver a title challenge and a good run in the CL next season. He's had more than enough time.
Agreed. I do worry about who is feasibly attainable, though. City and Liverpool have an experienced squad that have won things. We are trying to add to a young, inexperienced team to take us to the next level. It's not a walk in the park.

zackymoles18

Ole has my vote and support (not that it counts for much) as our manager.

Like what many posters above me have mentioned, he has brought stability and structure to how our team is being conducted. We dont see news leaking out to the public as per our previous seasons, we dont see players taking digs at our club, while within the club. We see a strong, cohesive and hardworking (what he has preached since the very start of his tenure) culture being formed at the club. He has also linked us up with these players like Bruno, Cavani etc.

I like where he is going and the foundation built by him will be a strong bed for success. Cultures within companies or teams are not easily forged. So i really give him the credit of keeping our players and staffs happy and committed while demanding more from them.

The question a lot of Ole-outters are putting across is whether he can bring us to titles and trophies. This, i dont know as well. But i feel that he has the personality to succeed. We have to know that the manager is only 1 man within the club. There are many influences and people affecting the output of the club as well. Ole does not need to know when is the best time to do a substitution, he does not need to know what tactics to deploy for the next match. As long as he can identify the correct person to work with him on these aspect, he will succeed.

We have seen Ole build a team on the pitch who are willing to work for each other and work with one another. We have seen the love from the players to him. We have seen him brought us to the top 4, 2 seasons in a row, even with crazy schedules and disruptions to plans. So why not give him more time to build up his backroom staffs, his scouting staffs, his tacticians, etc etc. I believe in him.

rotherham_red

Maybe their squad isn't as good as you think then.

Us getting top 4 for the 1st time back to back is more damning on the managers prior to Ole than anything to do with the squad strength IMO.
Come on bro. They got 98 and 99 points respectively in the last two seasons :lol: I hate them as much as the next man, but we can't deny that they are a good team.

Our squad is a young one, and it will undoubtedly improve with time and patience, but equally has some big holes within it which will mean that any improvement to it will always be capped unless we go out and add the missing parts of said squad.

Womp

idiot
Oh please. He's been the best manager since fecking Fergie. He's clearly a fan's manager. No one wants United to succeed more than him, we all know this. He's done a pretty good job this year, he's got the potential to keep growing. Don't portray him as some fecking Glazer shill 'cos that's bollocks and really unfair. Ole is one of us.
By what standard, exactly? He hasn't won as many trophies as Jose, the best he's achieved in the league is second place, which Jose also achieved, with more points than we are on now, against a better level of competition.

He's a more liked manager than the ones we have had previously, but this insistence that he has been the best I have never understood. The football we play is hardly swashbuckling, the points and trophy counts aren't exactly mindblowing either. He's done a decent job so far.

hubbuh

By what standard, exactly? He hasn't won as many trophies as Jose, the best he's achieved in the league is second place, which Jose also achieved, with more points than we are on now, against a better level of competition.

He's a more liked manager than the ones we have had previously, but this insistence that he has been the best I have never understood. The football we play is hardly swashbuckling, the points and trophy counts aren't exactly mindblowing either. He's done a decent job so far.
By the standard that the club doesn't feel so toxic and horrible, while Ole also has us in strong finishing positions. Winning the EL and finishing second is as good as Mourinho in terms of accolades (more or less), while there isn't such a poisonous, filthy feel to the club. There was never a sense of togetherness or cohesion at United under Mourinho, it was one rancid affair after another. Weird situations with players was the norm under Mourinho, it's undeniable that the likes of Shaw and Pogba are now thriving since that wanker has left the building. These insane comebacks are undoubtedly a telling indicator of the self-belief that Ole has managed to instil. We just need a few more pieces and we'll be a much more complete outfit.

lex talionis

Let's put it this way: would anyone here rather have Moyes, Van Gaal or Mourinho managing us right now instead of Solksjaer? God I hope there isn't a single poster on the caf who would say yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.