Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_Cubed

When 3 English teams including fecking Leicester all have better trophy winning seasons than us, then it's an embarrassment.

We obviously need to respond to this as opposed to all the progress shite we've been spouting.
Thanks for ruining my night, mate. I forgot about Leicester.

SAFMUTD

Now we'll face 3 top teams with class managers UCL winners in charge, all while we support Ole because he makes a happy squad.

Man I feel so jealous, I don't understand how anyone can keep supporting this farce of a manager.

Anustart89

Unbelievable really. All around Europe, clubs showing what true manager means for a club. Not just that; WE (with Fergie) are best example in football what world class manager can do.
You don't understand. Anyone can become Fergie if they're just given time! The reason we don't have hundreds of Fergies around is impatient club owners!

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Tonight is also a reminder that even the best manager in the world with the best team can lose a one off game. Puts the hysterics on here since Wednesday into perspective given we have nowhere near either.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I would rather swap all our potential signings for new manager.
Posted something earlier today along the same vein. The biggest obstacle to us becoming a brilliant, successful team once more is our management/coaching structure, not the players. Not once did I think watching our match on Wednesday night that the only thing we’re missing to enable us to beat Villa-fecking-real was Harry Kane and Jadon Sancho.

Christ, we only had two (TWO!) shots on target in 120 minutes against a team which practically invited us to attack them and folk think it’s the players who aren’t good enough? We are well and truly through the looking glass at this point when it comes to Solskjaer shills. I despair at times, I genuinely do.

Last edited:

stw2022

Tonight is also a reminder that even the best manager in the world with the best team can lose a one off game. Puts the hysterics on here since Wednesday into perspective given we have nowhere near either.
Defending keeping someone who according to your own words is “nowhere near” good enough because of the reason ‘even great managers lose games sometimes’ isn’t hysterical, it’s fecking insane.

The legs of your high horse look stumpy as hell

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Even being as balanced as you can be, it's hard not to draw parallels between the appointments of Solskjaer/Lampard and wonder if Tuchel's immediate impact at Chelsea should be a giant flashing indicator of what needs to happen here.

I mean let's be real, what all our rivals want to happen is for Solskjaer to remain as United manager. Because if the belief that he's the guy to bring us back to the top exists anywhere, it's only within our own club and fanbase.

Womp

idiot
Genuine question - apart from desperate hope that finally we've made the correct appointment and the fact that he's a club legend, what exactly do you have to pin your hopes on Ole? Is it his trophy winning background? He coached in an extremely poor Norway and has won 3 or whatever trophies in like 11 years. He hasn't won a trophy in 8. Is it the great football we play? The improvement to the actual football itself has severely stagnated, still overly reliant on individual players. Is it his tactical nous? He's been a manager for as long as Pep and is still making extremely amateurish mistakes eg. having the inability/refusing to attempt making tactical changes during the game. Not to add the fact that we only look like a semi competent side when we can counter attack. So what exactly is it?

We had a manager in Jose who was clearly finished at the top level, which has been shown with his managerial stints since, who won and achieved more than Ole, in less time, with a lesser squad, against a much better Man City. It's genuinely baffling.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
No, it's just common sense. We're not City or Chelsea, and I'm not bleating on about the 'United Way' or somesuch either. We've only had a bloody DOF a few months! The entire structure has been threadbare and antiquated. We can't keep changing managers like other teams unless the absolute ideal fit is out there because the very way the whole thing has been set up means it causes carnage. We've eight years of evidence to show for it. It's a case by case basis, and we can't do what the oil clubs do.

The well oiled machine left with Fergie. We've got something cranky that's only just about stopped sputtering and spewing smoke. It's less to do with the manager than the owners and Woodward, they've destroyed what you remember and hope for. It's gone, and we're further off what you expect than you think. It's not a lowering of expectations or an acceptance of mediocrity, but the reality that the whole thing has been majorly, utterly fecked by incompentent vultures in suits that don't have a clue about football and what the club should be.

The man's played his part along with whoever else in doing an incredible job of trying to piece something back together. Whether he's good enough in the long run or not, he's helped put us back on the right track. It's pointless kicking off and arguing amongst ourselves because things haven't been ideal on the pitch. The damage is far deeper than that.
Great post.

Leftback99

Defending keeping someone who according to your own words is “nowhere near” good enough because of the reason ‘even great managers lose games sometimes’ isn’t hysterical, it’s fecking insane.

The legs of your high horse look stumpy as hell
More nonsense from you. I'm on no high horse. You lot just get easily wound up.

Nowhere near the best (Pep) is what I said let's not twist words to suit agendas.

90 + 5min

Comedy club starts again after Champions League.

Lot of you jumping on Tuchel train while you all would be hating Solskajer for playing 5 defeders. But it is ok. Haters gonna hate.

Now, open up sack Guardiola thread, buy Pochettino and Neymar and everything is normal in this place.

ash_86

No, it's just common sense. We're not City or Chelsea, and I'm not bleating on about the 'United Way' or somesuch either. We've only had a bloody DOF a few months! The entire structure has been threadbare and antiquated. We can't keep changing managers like other teams unless the absolute ideal fit is out there because the very way the whole thing has been set up means it causes carnage. We've eight years of evidence to show for it. It's a case by case basis, and we can't do what the oil clubs do.

The well oiled machine left with Fergie. We've got something cranky that's only just about stopped sputtering and spewing smoke. It's less to do with the manager than the owners and Woodward, they've destroyed what you remember and hope for. It's gone, and we're further off what you expect than you think. It's not a lowering of expectations or an acceptance of mediocrity, but the reality that the whole thing has been majorly, utterly fecked by incompentent vultures in suits that don't have a clue about football and what the club should be.

The man's played his part along with whoever else in doing an incredible job of trying to piece something back together. Whether he's good enough in the long run or not, he's helped put us back on the right track. It's pointless kicking off and arguing amongst ourselves because things haven't been ideal on the pitch. The damage is far deeper than that.
Very good post

Skills

Snitch
Even being as balanced as you can be, it's hard not to draw parallels between the appointments of Solskjaer/Lampard and wonder if Tuchel's immediate impact at Chelsea should be a giant flashing indicator of what needs to happen here.

I mean let's be real, what all our rivals want to happen is for Solskjaer to remain as United manager. Because if the belief that he's the guy to bring us back to the top exists anywhere, it's only within our own club and fanbase.
Not to come across as the king of hindsight but this is what i said when he got hired :

I think our fanbase and decision makers at the club are far too sentimental to make an appointment like this work. It's just not the right club for it.

When things go south (as they do with 99% of managers at one time or another) clubs like Madrid and Barcelona move on sharply. There was a chunk of our fan base ready to let Moyes, Mourinho and LVG sink the boat. The club actually did let all three of them sink the boat. Imagine that now with the added sentimentality.

stw2022

If he was let go tomorrow in some kind of contactual dispute with the owners he’s not getting a single job offer in this country from a Premier League club.

I don’t get this right track business I hear either. We play tumescent football, Bottle the big occasions and owe everything to the collapse of our rivals. If Liverpool and Chelsea didn’t have slow starts we would be a distant scrap for 4th and have few complaints

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Whst an absolute load of rubbish! Yeah let’s shit all over our greatest ever manager to stick up for fecking Solskjaer.

The reason Fergie fell out with players was because he demanded 100% and didn’t tolerate insubordination. His approach was, I’m the manager and it’s my way or the highway.

There are literally dozens of examples of Fergie’s incredible man management skills, but of course they get pushed aside to stick up for Solskjaer.
He’s perhaps the greatest man manager of all time. As well as being the boss, meaning he didn’t let anyone step outside his boundaries. I might not have agreed with them all (Becks,Stam) but it’s hard to argue the results of his actions.

el3mel

Yeah, we're not like City and Chelsea. City had Pellegrini doing well but sacked the feck out of him once Pep Guardiola became available because who in his right mind will have better, top class manager available and stick with an above average one just because he's doing decently well at the moment ?

You get it, only United do this shit.

Womp

idiot
Yeah, we're not like City and Chelsea. City had Pellegrini doing well but sacked the feck out of him once Pep Guardiola became available because who in his right will have better, top class manager available and stick with an above average one just because he's doing decently well at the moment ?

Harsh on Pellegrini that. In 3 years, he won Man City a PL and two league cups, did he not? 3 years in with Ole and we are still suppoedly talking about some progress on the pitch that only some people can see.

Leftback99

Comedy club starts again after Champions League.

Lot of you jumping on Tuchel train while you all would be hating Solskajer for playing 5 defeders. But it is ok. Haters gonna hate.

Now, open up sack Guardiola thread, buy Pochettino and Neymar and everything is normal in this place.
It would probably be fine, if we had more than one decent CB, a Kante, a CM that can control possession like Jorginho and far more useful attackers than we have to the point Abraham and Giroud barely get a look in.

Chelsea's squad was perfect for moulding into any formation, ours isn't.

stw2022

Harsh on Pellegrini that. In 3 years, he won Man City a PL and two league cups, did he not? 3 years in with Ole and we are still suppoedly talking about some progress on the pitch that only some people can see.
Mate he’s on the cusp of discovering that if a player is injured you don’t play him every minute of every match. If you don’t call that progress what do it call it?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If he was let go tomorrow in some kind of contactual dispute with the owners he’s not getting a single job offer in this country from a Premier League club.

I don’t get this right track business I hear either. We play tumescent football, Bottle the big occasions and owe everything to the collapse of our rivals. If Liverpool and Chelsea didn’t have slow starts we would be a distant scrap for 4th and have few complaints
I do think we've moved to a better situation under Solskjaer. By which I mean I think we've improved the structure, ethos and recruitment ever since he arrived and some of the credit for that should go to him.

The issue is that none of that changes whether he is or isn't a good enough manager. And I suspect he isn't.

Which is fine. He was initially hired as an interim and he's done well enough that things around him have improved, particularly when compared to the toxic post-Mourinho state we were in.

But the trick is to recognise when we've improved enough that he is now actively holding us back and replace him with someone who can build on the good things he has done. Rather than doing what @Skills alluded to and waiting until things fall apart again to act.

el3mel

Well, it's harsh when you compare it to Ole, I can't complain. :D

Womp

idiot
Mate he’s on the cusp of discovering that if a player is injured you don’t play him every minute of every match. If you don’t call that progress what do it call it?
TBF I understand that. Rashford even injured can win games on his own, that's essential for the way we play under Ole. It's why we look shite when the players don't pull something out of the bag themselves.

VivaRonaldo85

Might have been asked already but does anyone think if Tuchel had joined United rather than when he joined Chelsea, we would have won the champions league this season? And on the other side of the coin, does anyone think if Ole had become Chelsea manager, he would have won the CL? My answers are possibly and no chance. Probably sums up where we are with our manager.

SAFMUTD

So the argument changed, the old "a new manager can't win anything in a few years look at Klopp" has now changed to "even the best managers fail look at Pep".

It's just delusion at this point, it's a cult.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Yeah, we're not like City and Chelsea. City had Pellegrini doing well but sacked the feck out of him once Pep Guardiola became available because who in his right mind will have better, top class manager available and stick with an above average one just because he's doing decently well at the moment ?

Funny how that only applies to managers with Ole fans. When you want to "upgrade" your manager, you are not true fan and shit like that. But it is perfectly normal to replace a player. With saying "we need cb, rw and dmc" you are basically saying, we need to sack our current options there.
If Ole can become new Fergie if you give him 5 seasons then by that logic Fred can become new Pirlo, Lindelof new Rio and James new Ronaldo. No?

VivaRonaldo85

I do think we've moved to a better situation under Solskjaer. By which I mean I think we've improved the structure, ethos and recruitment ever since he arrived and some of the credit for that should go to him.

The issue is that none of that changes whether he is or isn't a good enough manager. And I suspect he isn't.

Which is fine. He was initially hired as an interim and he's done well enough that things around him have improved, particularly when compared to the toxic post-Mourinho state we were in.

But the trick is to recognise when we've improved enough that he is now actively holding us back and replace him with someone who can build on the good things he has done. Rather than doing what @Skills alluded to and waiting until things fall apart again to act.
Agreed. Basically a very good director of football’s job. We need to act now for a conte type manager or we will be left behind by the big boys.

stw2022

TBF I understand that. Rashford even injured can win games on his own, that's essential for the way we play under Ole. It's why we look shite when the players don't pull something out of the bag themselves.
That’s all he has hoping someone pulls a rabbit out of the hat.
Might have been asked already but does anyone think if Tuchel had joined United rather than when he joined Chelsea, we would have won the champions league this season? And on the other side of the coin, does anyone think if Ole had become Chelsea manager, he would have won the CL? My answers are possibly and no chance. Probably sums up where we are with our manager.
Impossible to say. I think we’d be further fwd towards challenging

SAFMUTD

Exactly, I don't know if Tuchel would had done it with us but I'm 100% certain Ole wouldn't have with Chelsea.

stayrusty

Part of the reason I love this club so much is because of the romanticism and the history. But now the romanticism is literally poisoning the long term future and success of this club. This is Manchester United, 20 first division titles, 3 European cups, the only English team to ever win the treble, one of the most popular/richest/largest clubs in the world and the largest club in England. This club should have the best ground, best facilities, best structure, best manger, and best players. Yet we just sit in a holding position and do nothing over and over again. Ole was a great player, I get it, but why does he have to learn here under trial/error at the expense of Manchester United? Why can't he turn into the best manager at another club and come here after (hypothetical, I don't believe this would ever happen)? The club should always be striving to be the best and have the best.

Last edited:

Marnsky68

It would probably be fine, if we had more than one decent CB, a Kante, a CM that can control possession like Jorginho and far more useful attackers than we have to the point Abraham and Giroud barely get a look in.

I'm sure that's exactly what you keep preaching until you are proven wrong. It's clear that what we don't have is a coach.

Marnsky68

Part of the reason I love this club so much is because of the romanticism and the history. It's literally poison now to the long term future and success of this club. This is Manchester United, 20 first division titles, 3 European cups, the only English team to ever win the treble, one of the most popular/richest/largest clubs in the world and the largest club in England. This club should have the best ground, best facilities, best structure, best manger, and best players. Yet we just sit in a holding position and do nothing over and over again. Ole was a great player, I get it, but why does he have to learn here under trial/error at the expense of Manchester United? Why can't he turn into the best manager at another club and come here after (hypothetical, I don't believe this would ever happen)? The club should always be striving to be the best and have the best.
I'm afraid not under the current ownership. Would never happen sadly.

NZT-One

The key question right now shouldn't "should or shouldn't we sack the manager?" - it should be "who do we go for instead?" I think, it is established that we have made progress in the last two years, there might be a question if this progress could be further but it is clear that we moved in a good direction. And there is surely aren't more signs that this progress will stop than signs that it will continue.

Bringing in a new manager will again start the obvious circle - "should be given at least two transfer windows", "needs time to get to know his players" bla bla bla. So bringing a new guy in has some disadvantages as well. We should only take these "costs" when we are sure, it is a smart "investment".

When I read the names of Conte, Zidane or Allegri, I am questioning how much football some of you watch. Conte is known for a relatively rigid defensive organisation, often going with three-at-the back and wingbacks. This would completely change what kind of players (skillset wise) we have to go for. Plus it seems he is a difficult character.
Allegri is also known to be a very conservative Italian manager. Defense first. Zidane had success with Real Madrid when their squad was peaking, he isn't famous for his great tactical insights. So he would be a risky investment.

A defensive manager is exactly what we shouldn't go for now. We know the effect of giving LVG reign then giving Mourinho reign... totally different philosophies cancelling each other out, costing us time - this is a reason this rebuilt takes so long.

At some point - this infantile "Ole in or out" has to stop, it isn't about him, it is about getting the best possible manager in and as long as no clear candidate is available, getting rid would do more damage. I am sure we appear as an interesting project to young talents, that is a good thing because it makes us more appealing. Just re-shuffle because we are impatient would be just as impulsive as giving Ole the permanent role way earlier than planned. Maybe we missed out on Poch. Seems like we missed out on Tuchel. Lets make sure we keep our eyes open on the manager market to make sure, we identify all suiting managers and are ready when they become available.

Foxbatt

You don't understand. Anyone can become Fergie if they're just given time! The reason we don't have hundreds of Fergies around is impatient club owners!
Not sure if this is sarcasm or not. If club owners give time and the managers become as good as Fergie, then surely Arsene and Moyes would have been as good as Fergie?

MU655

Our attackers have been much better than Chelsea's. Werner can't hit a barn door.

Haverrtz was great today, but has been pretty anonymous the rest of the season.

Their top goalscorer is Jorginho in the league with 7. And that is because he takes penalties. Mount is second with 6 - first in terms of goals from open play. Shows how bad their forwards are.

el3mel

Zidane had success with Real Madrid when their squad was peaking, he isn't famous for his great tactical insights. So he would be a risky investment.
Absolute bollocks.

Zidane won the league last season and challenged for the league this and reached CL semi with a pretty average squad that doesn't have any more than 5 top players at best and most of them are on their last legs.

Honestly when I read things like this I feel people don't follow football outside Premier League.

Womp

idiot
The key question right now shouldn't "should or shouldn't we sack the manager?" - it should be "who do we go for instead?" I think, it is established that we have made progress in the last two years, there might be a question if this progress could be further but it is clear that we moved in a good direction. And there is surely aren't more signs that this progress will stop than signs that it will continue.

Bringing in a new manager will again start the obvious circle - "should be given at least two transfer windows", "needs time to get to know his players" bla bla bla. So bringing a new guy in has some disadvantages as well. We should only take these "costs" when we are sure, it is a smart "investment".

When I read the names of Conte, Zidane or Allegri, I am questioning how much football some of you watch. Conte is known for a relatively rigid defensive organisation, often going with three-at-the back and wingbacks. This would completely change what kind of players (skillset wise) we have to go for. Plus it seems he is a difficult character.
Allegri is also known to be a very conservative Italian manager. Defense first. Zidane had success with Real Madrid when their squad was peaking, he isn't famous for his great tactical insights. So he would be a risky investment.

A defensive manager is exactly what we shouldn't go for now. We know the effect of giving LVG reign then giving Mourinho reign... totally different philosophies cancelling each other out, costing us time - this is a reason this rebuilt takes so long.

At some point - this infantile "Ole in or out" has to stop, it isn't about him, it is about getting the best possible manager in and as long as no clear candidate is available, getting rid would do more damage. I am sure we appear as an interesting project to young talents, that is a good thing because it makes us more appealing. Just re-shuffle because we are impatient would be just as impulsive as giving Ole the permanent role way earlier than planned. Maybe we missed out on Poch. Seems like we missed out on Tuchel. Lets make sure we keep our eyes open on the manager market to make sure, we identify all suiting managers and are ready when they become available.
This pointless dithering is why there is limited options available now. We missed out on Tuchel, Nagelsmann, potentially Rose, Poch etc. all because to some fans and to the board supposedly, what was evident to some a while ago still isn't evident. Under him, we've had 2 and a half seasons of failure. No matter how you spin it, he's failed. No-one gives a feck if you come second in a season where other teams around us are uncharacteristally struggling. Our points finish this season would of had us in 3rd/4th in previous seasons. Our previous managers all won trophies in the same time Ole has been given and were still deemed not good enough, with worse/ageing squads and against stronger competition. He has been a failure, there's no other way to put it. He hasn't won a trophy himself in approaching a decade. We keep hearing this nonsense of progress and patience, but he has no history of patience in him paying off. He won a title with Molde early on and has not done much else since in a very poor league for approaching a decade. Jose goes a season or two without winning a trophy and the Ole-in people claim he's washed up, not with the times etc. but Ole goes almost a decade without winning a trophy in a piss poor league and he's SAF, just needs more time apparently.

In this climate, managers don't usually stick around for longer than 4-5 years a cycle, and we've spent almost 3 of them supposedly trying to learn how to play progressive football (which I still can't see, as lesser teams are still playing superior football to ourselves).

I still do think there are better and more exciting options available - Poch seemingly could have his head turned by the Spurs talk, Zidane would be interesting, so too will Ten Hag - none of them are guaranteed success' but no manager is. The approach we need to fecking bin is this rubbish that a coach needs 3-4 years to start 1. winning trophies and 2. implementing a progressive style of football, two things Ole has still failed on, 3 years in.

This isn't like Klopp, even though that comparison is made many a time. Klopp didn't join Liverpool on the back of 8 years of failure in a shite league, Klopp got them into CL finals in the same time Ole is getting us knocked out of the CL, Klopp had them playing a high intensity, progressive game, it was evident they just needed the players. Meanwhile we still look clueless without a mile of space to play into and counter attacking, our pressing is a fecking joke and uncoordinated, our passes are slow and predictable and the movement is static and predictable etc. Even though we finished above Liverpool under Jose, most fans on here knew they were the ones on the up and it proved to be correct. I wonder how many Man City fans feel that way about us for an example.

Ralph1386

I was going to pose a similar question. Weren’t we already out of the CL though when Tuchel joined Chelsea?

Foxbatt

I have never regretted United winning a match but now I do for winning against PSG in Paris. Managers like Pep, Tauchel, and Klopp have managed big clubs and have the experienced of winning or playing in huge competitions. The very top players want to win trophies. Does anyone seriously think that a player would come to United to win trophies if they have the option of going to City, Chelsea or Liverpool? They would not accept Ole as a top manager.

432JuanMata

The most successful teams over the last 10 years are Real and Chelsea. Both top clubs who are ruthless. We seem to look at that as a bad thing but every top club does it now it’s the norm.
Ole has met expectations this season just, but if we are to invest we have to challenge no doubt

Status
Not open for further replies.