Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. StrangeHate

With Varane, we have the best starting XI in the league and the second best squad in the league. We are definitely going all in for the season. Ole hopefully is more adventurous now.

Halftrack

It's silly to say "if he doesn't achieve these things, he needs to be sacked." Injuries, cup draws, refereeing decisions will all play into how the season plays out.

Patrick Astwood

United have made some progress I agree, but I doubt Ole is tactically astute enough to take the team to the next level. The choking against Sevilla and Villareal more or less confirmed it for me. He may learn from his mistakes, but will be given another 3 years, while other teams strengthen? I doubt it.

SER19

For Solskjaers sake i really hope he can hit another level coaching, because the transformation hes done on squad since 2019 is absolutely brilliant. Compared to the rubbish we saw from 2013-2019. And keep in mind rebuilding is harder the longer the rot and stagnation goes on, with a mix and match of other managers players

Teja

It's silly to say "if he doesn't achieve these things, he needs to be sacked." Injuries, cup draws, refereeing decisions will all play into how the season plays out.
Every club has the same problem (draws, refs, VAR etc), so it'll even itself out come end of season. Injury wise, we have sufficient squad depth bar a total shit show like Pool had last year.

Ultimately, there's a time to be patient and a time to demand results and it's time to deliver now.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Not sure what more Ole could have done to win over doubters. No way on earth should he have taken the Utd teams he's managed further than 2nd. It's not been good enough to go higher. Not with City and Liverpool around.

This coming season is the first season under him where I genuinely think we are better than Liverpool and closer to City.

tomaldinho1

Every club has the same problem (draws, refs, VAR etc), so it'll even itself out come end of season. Injury wise, we have sufficient squad depth bar a total shit show like Pool had last year.

Ultimately, there's a time to be patient and a time to demand results and it's time to deliver now.
Exactly, Ole In & Out seem pretty United on this now, which makes a nice change. Manager has had time, he's been backed, we're excited by the recent arrivals (I can't remember when we last signed 2 world class payers in a window, assuming Varane is actually done). No excuses. This is our season.

OleBoiii

With Varane, we have the best starting XI in the league and the second best squad in the league.
By FIFA logic(i.e. ranking all the players and calculating the average score): you're probably right.

But unless Fred and McTominay can step up big time, we have a huge vulnerability in the most important area of the pitch. Varane will help us concede fewer sloppy goals on set pieces etc, but we're still gonna struggle to advance the ball forward effectively from a central position. We'll also keep losing possession needlessly and therefore concede more chances than I'm comfortable with.

Don't get me wrong: I'm delighted by the transfer window so far and I believe that we are good enough to challenge for the title now. But I really think a CM/DM is the most important signing of the summer. Varane is an obvious upgrade on Lindelöf, but we still have Maguire back there. Sancho is an upgrade on whoever starts on the right, but we still have Bruno, Rashford and Cavani etc for scoring goals. Right now, our central midfield still consists of two players that probably shouldn't start for a title winner. One of them starting is fine. But not both.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
With Varane, we have the best starting XI in the league and the second best squad in the league. We are definitely going all in for the season. Ole hopefully is more adventurous now.
---------------Henderson---------------
AWB---Varane---Maguire---Shaw
----------Pogba-------Fred----------
Sancho---Fernandes---Rashford
------------------Cavani------------------

Subs: De Gea, Lindelof, Telles, McTominay, VDB, Martial, Greenwood

GK is still a concern
Lack of backup RB, assuming both Dalot and Williams leave one way or the other - Trippier?
Midfield partner for Pogba/2 midfielders if Pogba leaves
CF, long term replacement for Cavani

Still plenty to do

Dr. StrangeHate

By FIFA logic(i.e. ranking all the players and calculating the average score): you're probably right.

But unless Fred and McTominay can step up big time, we have a huge vulnerability in the most important area of the pitch. Varane will help us concede fewer sloppy goals on set pieces etc, but we're still gonna struggle to advance the ball forward effectively from a central position. We'll also keep losing possession needlessly and therefore concede more chances than I'm comfortable with.

Don't get me wrong: I'm delighted by the transfer window so far and I believe that we are good enough to challenge for the title now. But I really think a CM/DM is the most important signing of the summer. Varane is an obvious upgrade on Lindelöf, but we still have Maguire back there. Sancho is an upgrade on whoever starts on the right, but we still have Bruno, Rashford and Cavani etc for scoring goals. Right now, our central midfield still consists of two players that probably shouldn't start for a title winner. One of them starting is fine. But not both.
We don't need to play two DMs. Secondly every team we are competing against has issues in a few positions.
City and Chelsea played whole of last season without a striker. I would say that is a bigger issue than our DM position.

edcunited1878

Far too much logical context here for people to truly agree with!

Ole doesn't just want to win for one year or two years, but he's trying to build a team that can sustain success for a number of years. There still and has always been a need for an upgrade on either Fred or McTominay, with McTominay being the clearest of upgrades. If the team incorporates more of a 3 CM system, then it'll still take another player, but more time to refine and get used to the system because it's totally different if they are committed to it.

But once Cavani leaves, the club has to figure out who is going to replace him because we cannot rely on Martial. That's been clear. I would be very cautious in placing the CF positions with only Martial and Greenwood in just a year's time.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
This was Ole's first XI away to Cardiff

--------------------De Gea--------------------
Young---Lindelof---Jones---Shaw
---------------------Matic---------------------
-------Herrera------------Pogba-------
Lingard------Rashford------Martial

This could be the XI he plays against Leeds

----------------------Henderson----------------------
AWB--------Varane-----Maguire--------Shaw
--------------Pogba------------Fred--------------
Greenwood----Fernandes---------Sancho
-------------------------Cavani-------------------------

Dont forget the millions spent by LVG and Mourinho before Ole got here, mental then that Ole's first XI despite that still included 3 Fergie signings and 2 academy players

Matriac

So Ole is magically a great coach because he may sign Varane? :confused::confused: Ole may be a decent DoF, but I haven't seen anything that makes me convinced that he's a great coach that can win the big trophies.
No, he's been a great manager all along.
The reason for the updates in this thread today is because people earlier claimed that world class players wouldn't want to join us while Ole is the manager.
But according to info Romano has, Ole is one of the positives Varane has pointed out as reasons for coming here and not wanting any other club.

AshRK

One thing is for sure, if Ole were to leave anytime soon, he will leave an amazing squad behind, which was not with his predecessors.

Mickson

Not sure what more Ole could have done to win over doubters. No way on earth should he have taken the Utd teams he's managed further than 2nd. It's not been good enough to go higher. Not with City and Liverpool around.

This coming season is the first season under him where I genuinely think we are better than Liverpool and closer to City.
Win a title? Play good (or at least decent) football? Play progressive football that makes you feel 'yeah, this is going somewhere? Coming second is easily his biggest achievement at United but let's pretend he has been terrific...

Holters

Where has the narrative of "Solskjær doesn't have the ability to attract world class players" gone? :yawn:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Win a title? Play good (or at least decent) football? Play progressive football that makes you feel 'yeah, this is going somewhere? Coming second is easily his biggest achievement at United but let's pretend he has been terrific...
Win a title as in the title? He should have won a cup no doubt but i don't know anyone who can say he should have won the title and not be laughed out of the room.

We do play more progressive football now. It's definitely the most progressive it's been since Fergie days. 2nd top scorers last season weren't we?

He's not been terrific. However he's finished as high in the league as really could have been expected. He's brought the club together again. He's signed some top players.

The only real downside is failing to get over the line in Europa League. Other than that he's done all of what was asked of him.

Mickson

Win a title as in the title? He should have won a cup no doubt but i don't know anyone who can say he should have won the title and not be laughed out of the room.

We do play more progressive football now. It's definitely the most progressive it's been since Fergie days. 2nd top scorers last season weren't we?

He's not been terrific. However he's finished as high in the league as really could have been expected. He's brought the club together again. He's signed some top players.

The only real downside is failing to get over the line in Europa League. Other than that he's done all of what was asked of him.
I didn't say that he hasn't done anything right. He has done plenty right. Signing Sancho and Varane is probably (on paper) two very good signings and good decisions. And as someone said earlier, when he leaves and if he leaves, he will leave behind a very promising and healthy squad. However, you said "not sure what more he could have done" and he could actually have done plenty. It's not like we expected him to win the league or CL. But we expect some good football and I don't think he plays good football at all and I also think our style and football are not progressive at all. We have trouble building from the back despite Ole being here for several years. If you look at Rodgers and Potter, they have done a lot regarding playing style in a shorter period of time, so it's not like it's impossible. I'm intrigued to see how Ole is going to fix that problem, IMO our football needs to improve for United to keep progressing and get better. I think we had a bit of luck last season, you named goals, but a lot of these goals were scored in a few games. We had plenty of 0 and 1 scoring games when we didn't win. We overachieved according to all xG too. I think we were too dependable on Bruno Fernandes to be fantastic. Maybe Ole will fix all our problems but I'm not entirely sure he even sees them as problems, as nothing really changes. I think the final against Villarreal is a typical Ole game. We aren't good enough with the ball, we aren't fast enough, we aren't progressive enough and he got outsmarted in a final. This coming season is make or break for him. I hope he manages but I don't think he will.

Halftrack

Yes, we should have expectations. I'm saying setting a bunch of rigid criteria, like "has to win a trophy/get to the CL semis/challenge for the title" and that he must be sacked if he doesn't deliver is silly. Let's actually let the season play out (at least for a bit) before we decide what does or doesn't warrant sacking.
Where has the narrative of "Solskjær doesn't have the ability to attract world class players" gone? :yawn:
It was always a weird one. Managers like Pep, Klopp and Zidane are definitely capable of attracting players on name alone, but outside of them there are precious few that are. Maybe Conte, possibly Mourinho (though one has to assume his star has faded badly.)

Managers that people have wanted Ole replaced with, like Poch, Rodgers, Nagelsmann or Tuchel definitely don't have that pull. No one dreams of playing for them, so like Ole, they'll actually have to sell players on their project. Ole seems capable of doing that, and I honestly don't think there are any players available to PSG, Bayern or Chelsea that are out of reach for us because of Ole.

el3mel

He has to win a trophy or at least put a very strong title challenge up till the last few weeks next season after such window, no matter how much some here are trying to argue the opposite (and they're only few who are arguing this, which is good).

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I didn't say that he hasn't done anything right. He has done plenty right. Signing Sancho and Varane is probably (on paper) two very good signings and good decisions. And as someone said earlier, when he leaves and if he leaves, he will leave behind a very promising and healthy squad. However, you said "not sure what more he could have done" and he could actually have done plenty. It's not like we expected him to win the league or CL. But we expect some good football and I don't think he plays good football at all and I also think our style and football are not progressive at all. We have trouble building from the back despite Ole being here for several years. If you look at Rodgers and Potter, they have done a lot regarding playing style in a shorter period of time, so it's not like it's impossible. I'm intrigued to see how Ole is going to fix that problem, IMO our football needs to improve for United to keep progressing and get better. I think we had a bit of luck last season, you named goals, but a lot of these goals were scored in a few games. We had plenty of 0 and 1 scoring games when we didn't win. We overachieved according to all xG too. I think we were too dependable on Bruno Fernandes to be fantastic. Maybe Ole will fix all our problems but I'm not entirely sure he even sees them as problems, as nothing really changes. I think the final against Villarreal is a typical Ole game. We aren't good enough with the ball, we aren't fast enough, we aren't progressive enough and he got outsmarted in a final. This coming season is make or break for him. I hope he manages but I don't think he will.
We have got better every year under him. First year he took over in December and nearly salvaged CL football from miles behind. 2nd season he got 3rd and last season he got 2nd. So he got top 3 in his only full seasons with us.

He happens to be Utd manager at a time when two of the best coaches of the last 30 years are here too to mention other good coaches too.

Ole doesn't get the credit he deserves. You could have put any coach in Europe in place 2 years ago with the team he inherited and it would have taken them time too. We were a mess.

OleBoiii

We don't need to play two DMs.
I never claimed that we do. But we need at least one CM who can defend, pass the ball and keep possession in the team. We have no player like that. And if you say "Pogba" or "VDB" I'm gonna scream :p

Secondly every team we are competing against has issues in a few positions.
If you're gonna have 2 or 3 players in the starting XI that aren't up to standard, it's better to spread them rather them lump them into the same area on the pitch. When people talk about "balance", this is sometimes what they are talking about. Player for player we may very well be better than Liverpool, Chelsea and City. But all of the mentioned are arguably more balanced than us.

I'm delighted about both Sancho and Varane, but I'd happily trade one of them for a CM as described above.

thundercats

Good Ole Solskjaer still banking on the 99 final goal. Topclubs should be ruthless, Utd is just careless.
NOW PROVE ME WRONG OLE GUNNAR SOLSKJAER! For all I care we end up at nr 12 but play some damn sexy and worthy true United football PLEASE

Dr. StrangeHate

I never claimed that we do. But we need at least one CM who can defend, pass the ball and keep possession in the team. We have no player like that. And if you say "Pogba" or "VDB" I'm gonna scream :p

If you're gonna have 2 or 3 players in the starting XI that aren't up to standard, it's better to spread them rather them lump them into the same area on the pitch. When people talk about "balance", this is sometimes what they are talking about. Player for player we may very well be better than Liverpool, Chelsea and City. But all of the mentioned are arguably more balanced than us.

I'm delighted about both Sancho and Varane, but I'd happily trade one of them for a CM as described above.
If you take Pogba out then I get your point but I am including Pogba as the CM. Please don't scream.
We have been very clear in our pursuit this transfer window, RW and CB and and a CM if an opportunity arises but it doesn't seem to be a priority. My uneducated guess is that the club is planning with Pogba being one of the CM this coming season.

OleBoiii

If you take Pogba out then I get your point but I am including Pogba as the CM. Please don't scream.
Pogba hasn't got a defensive fiber in his body. And if he has got one, then he's just too lazy to utilize it.

Also, despite having great vision and good technique, he loses possession a little too often. The amount of times he loses the ball may not be too bad, but he has a weird knack for losing it in the worst possible position. The only way Pogba works out in midfield in the long run, is if you have someone like Kante playing next to him. We don't.

In my opinion, we need a CM regardless of whether Pogba stays. It's not really Pogba we'd be replacing. We'd be buying a type of player that we simply don't have.

thundercats

I'm stunned at the lack of believe in Mctominay. He plays his socks off every game especially vs top teams. If the entire squad had his passion and grit we would have been champions already.

Dr. StrangeHate

Pogba hasn't got a defensive fiber in his body. And if he has got one, then he's just too lazy to utilize it.

Also, despite having great vision and good technique, he loses possession a little too often. The amount of times he loses the ball may not be too bad, but he has a weird knack for losing it in the worst possible position. The only way Pogba works out in midfield in the long run, is if you have someone like Kante playing next to him. We don't.

In my opinion, we need a CM regardless of whether Pogba stays. It's not really Pogba we'd be replacing. We'd be buying a type of player that we simply don't have.
I haven't looked at the stats but I would be surprised if Pogba loses the ball more than Bruno. Pogba is our box to box guy. Bruno the AM and one of Mc Tominay and Fred are perfectly fine as the DM. Pogba didn't have Kante at Juve and he was fine.

I think we have to change our approach to a more aggressive one so that we don't need two DM. We have a rock solid defence now so don't need two sitting infront of them.

thundercats

Losing the ball is not the problem, it is a natural part of football. I is only a problem when you lose it in areas where you are supposed to play it safe. Pogba rarely plays it safe.

VanDeBank

Ma’am

Bingo. If he didn't have this issue, you could overlook his defensive flaws and pair him with a top destroyer.

His problem is the premier league. He can't handle relentless pressure on the ball. This is also why he's much more concistent for France.

I honestly think even with Kante (or say Veratti) he wouldn't work vs liverpool, city, current chelsea, etc.

He'd be phenomenal for PSG where every L1 opponent parks 2 buses.

I'm predicting a few weeks from now Ole will deserve credit for:
  • Not giving him obscene wages to stay
  • Getting Donny a year in advance as an option to unlock a parked bus
  • Getting a DM that can pass

Halftrack

My mental image of Pogba is him receiving the ball, dawdling on it while seemingly weighing his option, only to then have an opponent come up from behind and nick the ball off him.

jem

It depends how you define 'achieve' but for me, but short of a Van Dijk-like injury to the likes of Bruno or Shaw, there is no excuse for not mounting a creditable title challenge. We have abundant attacking depth, and have bolstered our defence.

meamth

Makes me wonder, do we really need a DM now we have two top class ball playing CB covering the midfield?

Varane and Maguire can both step up now to carry the ball forward as both are great aerially to cover any long balls.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I haven't looked at the stats but I would be surprised if Pogba loses the ball more than Bruno.
Bruno's passing success has been 74%, while Pogba's worst season at United in terms of passing %age (2018/19, which was also his best season as an attacking player,) was 82%. Last season was 83%. His dribbling success during his time here has been consistently a little above 60% compared to Bruno's 53% (while attempting twice as many).
The only place where he loses the ball more is when he carries it forward, about twice per 90 compared to once for Bruno.

So, overall, no.

TheRedHearted

Bruno's passing success has been 74%, while Pogba's worst season at United in terms of passing %age (2018/19, which was also his best season as an attacking player,) was 82%. Last season was 83%. His dribbling success during his time here has been consistently a little above 60% compared to Bruno's 53% (while attempting twice as many).
The only place where he loses the ball more is when he carries it forward, about twice per 90 compared to once for Bruno.

So, overall, no.
Woa. So where does Bruno s stats beat pogba? Assist?
Makes me wonder, do we really need a DM now we have two top class ball playing CB covering the midfield?

Varane and Maguire can both step up now to carry the ball forward as both are great aerially to cover any long balls.
That’s even more reason why we need a DM. we need someone who will cover when one of them push high

Status
Not open for further replies.