Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. StrangeHate

Bruno's passing success has been 74%, while Pogba's worst season at United in terms of passing %age (2018/19, which was also his best season as an attacking player,) was 82%. Last season was 83%. His dribbling success during his time here has been consistently a little above 60% compared to Bruno's 53% (while attempting twice as many).
The only place where he loses the ball more is when he carries it forward, about twice per 90 compared to once for Bruno.

So, overall, no.
That is what I thought, but I guess Bruno plays higher up the pitch and is very productive so him losing the ball isn't considered as egregious.

RiqCantona

So Ole is magically a great coach because he may sign Varane? :confused::confused: Ole may be a decent DoF, but I haven't seen anything that makes me convinced that he's a great coach that can win the big trophies.
So... what does make a good coach to you? Is it just trophies then? Well... LvG won the FA Cup and Mou won the Europa... I'm sure they are better than Ole. So Ole has to actually win a trophy or 2 to prove himself to you? Are you sure you will be satisfied with his progress then? I'm pretty sure I can here you saying, "Well... he may have won the FA Cup, but that doesn't prove anything. He needs to win the league.... well, he may have won the league.. but he has to win the treble to prove himself"

Some people are never happy.

Dembeza

More like the brand of the club and of course, money talks.
The manager as well, lets not forget the reason we missed out on Varane in the first place was because of Zidane. At the time Zidane had nothing on SAF but he was still a deciding factor.

Hisha

Supports
OLE OLE OLE I LOVE YOU
Club is putting incredible amount of trust on Ole, a long contract and buying top quality players for him. But I am still not at all convinced that he is the man to bring titles (PL especially) back to the club. Surely, the players are mostly happy with his approach and so they are playing well as well. But apart from player brilliance and luck, I am yet to see a tactical brilliance from Ole to win a match.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Ole has done a great job off the pitch, no doubt. On the pitch, very hit and miss and based on the players, we should have done better (even in the league imo, we collapsed too many times). I hope he progressed so we challenge like a top team

Dembeza

But apart from player brilliance and luck, I am yet to see a tactical brilliance from Ole to win a match.
You are right, you probably haven’t and that’s fair. Football isn’t for everyone after all.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Club is putting incredible amount of trust on Ole, a long contract and buying top quality players for him. But I am still not at all convinced that he is the man to bring titles (PL especially) back to the club. Surely, the players are mostly happy with his approach and so they are playing well as well. But apart from player brilliance and luck, I am yet to see a tactical brilliance from Ole to win a match.
Strange enough, we tend to do really well against top teams but struggle against weaker sides. Hope he is able to improve that

Dembeza

True. But not sure that’s the case here.
I was pointing out the importance of a manager. I also don’t understand why it’s so difficult for people to understand why Ole is a big pull and yet we have seen players join clubs because of a manager.

Hisha

Supports
OLE OLE OLE I LOVE YOU
You are right, you probably haven’t and that’s fair. Football isn’t for everyone after all.
Yea, and I don’t claim to be someone who I am not. But as you claim to understand football better than me, could you please point me to the matches we have won because of Ole? Tnx

ColvaleGoa

Talksport are frothing at the mouth about Ole's new contract. All their ABU pundits are harping on about how Ole is a serial loser. Not one cent of praise given about the job he has done to steady the ship. We sign Sancho...Ole wont win anything. We sign Varane...Ole wont win Anthing.

Clickbait kinda works for That Channel.

Hisha

Supports
OLE OLE OLE I LOVE YOU
Strange enough, we tend to do really well against top teams but struggle against weaker sides. Hope he is able to improve that
First of all, top teams mostly play expansive football and so a counter attacking team will find more space to attack. Also, against top teams the players mostly gives it all or works harder.

Dembeza

Yea, and I don’t claim to be someone who I am not. But as you claim to understand football better than me, could you please point me to the matches we have won because of Ole? Tnx
Sorry I won’t do that, this has been pointed out alot of times on the Ole threads from last season. If you still believe he isn’t technical then that’s alright.

crossy1686

career ending
Talksport are frothing at the mouth about Ole's new contract. All their ABU pundits are harping on about how Ole is a serial loser. Not one cent of praise given about the job he has done to steady the ship. We sign Sancho...Ole wont win anything. We sign Varane...Ole wont win Anthing.

Clickbait kinda works for That Channel.
We have about 50% on here that need to be told by media like TalkSport or opposition fans that Ole's good for United before they believe it so I'm not surprised they're running those narratives.

Tarrou

Expectations will be huge next season, but they should be.

If the club adds a DM before the end of the window, it'll be the first time we've had a complete squad in a long time. We've always been left one or two players short.

But even without that we should still expect to challenge.

Hisha

Supports
OLE OLE OLE I LOVE YOU
Sorry I won’t do that, this has been pointed out alot of times on the Ole threads from last season. If you still believe he isn’t technical then that’s alright.
Okay then. I am still waiting for a match which Ole turned it around and won or won against the odds with his sheer tactical brilliance.

RiqCantona

I am shocked at the level of hatred for Ole. No wonder people have left CAF. The amount of negativity and toxicity in this thread is too much. Its not worth posting in this thread any more -

Dembeza

I am shocked at the level of hatred for Ole. No wonder people have left CAF. The amount of negativity and toxicity in this thread is too much. Its not worth posting in this thread any more -
Feels like a rival forum most of the times.

RiqCantona

Feels like a rival forum most of the times.
People are entitled to believe what they want. And I've been following this (and all the previous Ole threads)... and its always the same. They clearly cannot understand logic and ignore facts at their own discretion. You can't really have a debate.

What I'll say is this - Ole is our manager and will be for a while. Deal with it.

Last edited:

dove

Where has the narrative of "Solskjær doesn't have the ability to attract world class players" gone? :yawn:
That narrative of managers attracting world class players is mostly nonsense. There are only 1-2 managers in the world where players would genuinely sign because of them. Chelsea signed Hazard with no manager at all... I don't think players care much who the manager is, barely any of them last more than 2 years anyway.

Dr. StrangeHate

That narrative of managers attracting world class players is mostly nonsense. There are only 1-2 managers in the world where players would genuinely sign because of them. Chelsea signed Hazard with no manager at all... I don't think players care much who the manager is, barely any of them last more than 2 years anyway.
It is essentially just Pep and may be Jose 4-5 years back.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
We beat Southampton 3-2 last season at the Saint Mary's because Ole changed a few things after the break, there are More Like PSG games so what are you on about??

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I don't think a decade or two ago Ole would have been up there with the top coaches - I suspect he would have been a mid table coach who gets a go at Spurs at some point. In this era though we've actually got a lot of coaches around Europe who haven't won much. Good managers but sometimes struggle to get over the line.

Even Klopp was like that for a long time - always getting to finals and losing. Or Pep has a weird mental block about the CL these days it seems. But they are nonetheless winners, while there are guys like Poch and Rodgers who've hardly won anything but are still regarded as top coaches (albeit well done to Rodgers on the FA Cup win, could be a platform to build on). Weirdly Tuchel is the opposite - doesn't get his teams playing nice stuff but seems to know how to win.

You'd have to say Simeone, Klopp, Pep, Conte, Flick and (perhaps) Tuchel are genuine world class managers and there aren't too many others. So yeah I think Ole deserves some respect, despite probably not being at Man Utd if we were in a different era where there were more top managers around. In this era he's up there, and until a world class coach is available why would we gamble on some other nearly man rather than backing our own guy.

Josh 76

I don't think a decade or two ago Ole would have been up there with the top coaches - I suspect he would have been a mid table coach who gets a go at Spurs at some point. In this era though we've actually got a lot of coaches around Europe who haven't won much. Good managers but sometimes struggle to get over the line.

Even Klopp was like that for a long time - always getting to finals and losing. Or Pep has a weird mental block about the CL these days it seems. But they are nonetheless winners, while there are guys like Poch and Rodgers who've hardly won anything but are still regarded as top coaches (albeit well done to Rodgers on the FA Cup win, could be a platform to build on). Weirdly Tuchel is the opposite - doesn't get his teams playing nice stuff but seems to know how to win.

You'd have to say Simeone, Klopp, Pep, Conte, Flick and (perhaps) Tuchel are genuine world class managers and there aren't too many others. So yeah I think Ole deserves some respect, despite probably not being at Man Utd if we were in a different era where there were more top managers around. In this era he's up there, and until a world class coach is available why would we gamble on some other nearly man rather than backing our own guy.
You can add Mancini to the list too.

CG1010

It is really a case of whether you want to see it or not. There have been several matches where Ole's tactics have been spot on. He has certain tactical weaknesses but what you are saying is pure horseshit.

Siorac

I'm stunned at the lack of believe in Mctominay. He plays his socks off every game especially vs top teams. If the entire squad had his passion and grit we would have been champions already.
And if the entire squad had his technical ability, we'd be around 14th.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Managers that people have wanted Ole replaced with, like Poch, Rodgers, Nagelsmann or Tuchel definitely don't have that pull. No one dreams of playing for them, so like Ole, they'll actually have to sell players on their project. Ole seems capable of doing that, and I honestly don't think there are any players available to PSG, Bayern or Chelsea that are out of reach for us because of Ole.
You have to be kidding, right?

Dr. StrangeHate

Tuchel's Dortmund were beautiful to watch. I would say they were as good to watch as City. His PSG and Chelsea haven't been up to that level but he still plays football mostly on the front foot which I feel is essential to win in this day and age.

rotherham_red

https://twitter.com/EBL2017?s=09

This guy's account (a Liverpool fan, no less) is wall to wall reminders of what Ole came into when he arrived at the club and just how good of a job he did, going all the way back to 2019. Yet we still have people on here who can't bring themselves to give credit to the man for the job he did, and instead give only the most backhanded of compliments.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Tuchel's Dortmund were beautiful to watch. I would say they were as good to watch as City. His PSG and Chelsea haven't been up to that level but he still plays football mostly on the front foot which I feel is essential to win in this day and age.
Any big club can play good attacking football against Bundesliga defences IMO. Even Bayern's defence isn't that special.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
What's so unbelievable, exactly?
He's basically saying if Poch, Rodgers, Naaglesman or Tuchel make a signing the player is only going for the money because these managers don't have any pull but if United make a signing the money makes no difference because we have Ole.

OleBoiii

https://twitter.com/EBL2017?s=09

This guy's account (a Liverpool fan, no less) is wall to wall reminders of what Ole came into when he arrived at the club and just how good of a job he did, going all the way back to 2019. Yet we still have people on here who can't bring themselves to give credit to the man for the job he did, and instead give only the most backhanded of compliments.
The good quite clearly outweighs the bad. And he keeps improving day by day.

But some people made up their mind about Ole a long time ago. I'm almost 100% sure that if we surveyed the 'Ole out' supporters and they answered honestly, practically 0% of them became 'Ole out' post Bruno(i.e in the last 18 months). Which begs the question:

1. Do they not see the obvious improvements?
2. Do they see the improvements, but think they aren't enough?
3. Do they see the improvements, acknowledge that he's done a good job, but are convinced that he has peaked already?

Based on what I've seen in here, the Ole out posters have been on a bit of a journey. Most started at number 1. Then almost everyone moved to number 2. These days I'm seeing more and more people move to number 3, which is funny because it's all based on guesses about the future. They have decided that they know Ole's peak despite never seeing Ole manage a truly top class team.

Status
Not open for further replies.