Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Womp

idiot
I’m starting to think some in here would be happy to never win a trophy again.

We are Manchester United FC. Not Ole Gunnar Solskjær FC.

Chelsea fans love Lampard, but he clearly wasn’t the guy. They got a proper manager in & won the CL within a few months. If we want to get back on top there is no shame in admitting we need a proper manager. There’s no excuses for him now, he has an elite squad at his disposal.
No, no, you see, it's very clear there absolutely still are countless excuses. Simply put, anyone still supporting him at this stage will go down swinging with him so there is literally no point discussing, especially when they just try to deflect from any argument with condescending posts etc. It's just tiring.

It's simple for me - we play very average football, as a result all he has to buy himself more time is the results. If the results aren't coming, we have no reason to keep him. 4 years in, ridiculous talent in the squad and ridiculous investment and we are still a pragmatic counter-attacking side. I want to see this team dominating games, controlling posession, not consistently being played off the park by teams that are far inferior to us. Newcastle, Southampton, Wolves, Young Boys have all been poor performances, regardless of the result this season. Results aren't going to be sustainable when we play this kind of football. Eventually teams like City etc. who due to their coaching create a million chances a game, will win games more often due to the sheer amount of chances they create.

We saw the same thing with Ole every season now - how much longer before you see a pattern developing?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Longer than that. 2024 is when you can start to expect Tuchel to put together a title challenge. He won't need to win any trophies (aside from the Champions League that he won in his first six months with the club) until 2025 or 2026.
I meant 2024 if he is backed. So if Roman buys to him 11 world class players and couple of good players for rotation. BUT if he gets only 10 world class players then you are right; 2025 is the year for solid title challenge.

Raven

What makes you think that? Blind faith in Ole? 5 games in, and we’ve managed three good halves against four bottom 10 teams and a Swiss team.

I’m seriously interested. What makes you believe that we’ll be title contenders?
Because we were the second best team in the league last year and we've strengthened massively.

IhabX7

All those poor performances yet we're sitting top of arguably the most competitive league in world football.
We've played against strictly bottom half of the table sides. I hope we stay top after Sunday, that's our toughest match so far.

Raven

More and more excuses, it doesnt end.
The guy snout if his depth, it doesnt matter if you decide to not see it, but the evidence is right there.
So are you saying we didn't have a fixture pile up last season? I must have been thinking of a different team, my bad.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
No, no, you see, it's very clear there absolutely still are countless excuses. Simply put, anyone still supporting him at this stage will go down swinging with him so there is literally no point discussing, especially when they just try to deflect from any argument with condescending posts etc. It's just tiring.

It's simple for me - we play very average football, as a result all he has to buy himself more time is the results. If the results aren't coming, we have no reason to keep him. 4 years in, ridiculous talent in the squad and ridiculous investment and we are still a pragmatic counter-attacking side. I want to see this team dominating games, controlling posession, not consistently being played off the park by teams that are far inferior to us. Newcastle, Southampton, Wolves, Young Boys have all been poor performances, regardless of the result this season. Results aren't going to be sustainable when we play this kind of football. Eventually teams like City etc. who due to their coaching create a million chances a game, will win games more often due to the sheer amount of chances they create.

We saw the same thing with Ole every season now - how much longer before you see a pattern developing?
This, ffs this.

owlo

A lot of overreaction here. The game changes nothing. Same concerns and qualities still remain.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
You can be like Chelsea chopping and changing managers.

Or you can be like Liverpool with moneyball model.

I like the money ball model. He came close, doesn't mean he will never win it.
Can you (or anybody else) finally explain; what is wrong with that?

Kaos

He needs to surround himself with world class coaches, not Carrick and McKenna looking gormless on the bench. The game management today was shocking.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
We’ve also lost 7 out of 11 CL games under him. This isn’t an isolated incident. We’ve been inept in Europe under him
Couldnt win EL twice on top of that, whilst we should have never been in that position in the first place.

First time when "Ole at the Wheel" bottled 4th place after his new manager bounce.

Second time by losing to Basaksehir and Leipzig when it mattered.

MadMike

Can you (or anybody else) finally explain; what is wrong with that?
Wrong? On evidence, it’s simply a better strategy. They’ve been more successful while spending less money.

Although it requires an involved board that knows what they are doing.

Raven

If, like you say, there's no point in discussing, why don't you do us all a favour and stop discussing?

James35

Wow 7 out of 11 CL games lost...Damn is that correct because that is grade A shite if true.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
There are some ridiculous takes in this thread, but to assume Ole had absolutely no responsibility for our loss today is absurd.
The thing you should ask yourself, is would you have done things any different tonight?

You're 1-0 up and cruising, then all of a sudden, through no fault of your own, you find yourself a man down due to a single player's recklessness. Do you protect your lead and rely on your vastly superior defence compared to their attack to hold on, in addition to playing to the team's counterattacking strengths *or* continue in a similar fashion pre-red card, knowing that every time your side push forward, they are leaving gaping holes in behind due to being a man down and horribly susceptible to counter attacks in the process?

It's easy for a fan of the club to say "I'd attack attack attack because we're United and we should be stomping YB blah blah", it's not quite so easy for the manager of the club who has to answer to the upper-management, shareholders and roughly 750 fans worldwide if he gets it wrong.

Ole went with the pragmatic option, and who can blame him?

bondsname

I blame Ole for the loss today. His in game management was dreadful, and not to be disrespectful to Young Boys but we shouldn’t be put to the ropes like with 11 or 10 men against them. If we go down to 10 I expect the opposition to get into dangerous areas, keep more of the ball, but I also expect us to have a go a few times and manage to pass the ball into their part of the pitch at the very at least.

What we saw today was us surrendering and clinging onto our 1 goal lead. It was a cowardly performance and that’s largely on Ole.

MadMike

A lot of overreaction here. The game changes nothing. Same concerns and qualities still remain.
If you mean the concern that we’re clueless in the CL and are punching leagues below our weight, then yes it very much remains.

Kristian S

Well hopefully the team gets better in the UCL after this game. Hard to see, but we can hope. But if we don't make it out of the group this season, Ole should be sacked. There is no excuse not to make it out of this group with the squad we have.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I thought (silly me) that at least this season excuses will be over but they just keep getting better and better. Blimey, what is next? 5th place will be enough because all top 4 teams have better dmc?

Womp

idiot
If, like you say, there's no point in discussing, why don't you do us all a favour and stop discussing?
I bet ya'll would love that, you could blindlessly support your saviour into this team's permanent descent into mediocrity. Longest streak post SAF with no trophies, most money spent post SAF and we still play Mourinho football. Love to see it.

AshRK

It's not the result that frustrates me. I would have equally pissed (or maybe a bit less) even if we drew. The cowardly approach never sits with me. Yes we were 10 men, yes you need to make tactical changes but you don't set your team to defend for 60 odd minutes. Big teams don't play like that. And Ole being a player who played under Sir alex should know it.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
You're missing the point, taking Fred off for the last 5 minutes and having Pogba, who was just as fecked as Fred, and Lingard taking turns to drop back to fill in Fred's space is tactically inept and unnecessary.
I'm not, you're saying that decision inevitably would lead to us giving away a goal. Which it literally didn't until a completely individual error.

frostbite

Who has done that? Who puts all blame on Ole for today?
I do. This loss is on Ole. He got everything wrong after the red card. The tactics, the substitutions, everything was wrong and it came from Ole. This was no way to play with 10 men against an inferior team like the Young Boys. It was a pathetic display, a team that looked scared and didn't know what to do. The manager is responsible for this.

I love Ole. I hope he wins a lot with us and stays many years. But to be honest, he lost us the game today.

Raven

I bet ya'll would love that, you could blindlessly support your saviour into this team's permanent descent into mediocrity. Longest streak post SAF with no trophies, most money spent post SAF and we still play Mourinho football. Love to see it.
You're the one that said there was no point discussing, I'm just suggesting you follow your own advice.

tomaldinho1

This isn't a rebuild any more. I still reckon we'll be challenging for the league this season and I'd say we're still big favourites to qualify from the group.
I agree. We should challenge for the league, I think we're leaking too many goals so far however and we will 100% get out of our CL group. We might not top the group but we will definitely go through.

The thing you should ask yourself, is would you have done things any different tonight?

You're 1-0 up and cruising, then all of a sudden, through no fault of your own, you find yourself a man down due to a single player's recklessness. Do you protect your lead and rely on your vastly superior defence compared to their attack to hold on, in addition to playing to the team's counterattacking strengths *or* continue in a similar fashion pre-red card, knowing that every time your side push forward, they are leaving gaping holes in behind due to being a man down and horribly susceptible to counter attacks in the process?

It's easy for a fan of the club to say "I'd attack attack attack because we're United and we should be stomping YB blah blah", it's not quite so easy for the manager of the club who has to answer to the upper-management, shareholders and roughly 750 fans worldwide if he gets it wrong.

Ole went with the pragmatic option, and who can blame him?
No one thinks this - fans are just wanting to see some structure and possession retention, essentially not the random selection of subs that followed. It's more annoying when you see Chelsea do it against Liverpool at Anfield recently because you can see how sponge like their defence is.

Tonight, going 5 at the back was a good idea with 10 men but we simply can't play positional possession and it's not because of personnel, it's because Carrick (no 1st team coaching experience) & McKenna (no 1st team coaching experience) are leading our training sessions. I don't think I know more than football about Ole but I do think it's logical to think you can't survive that long by just sitting back and hoofing it long.

owlo

If you mean the concern that we’re clueless in the CL and are punching leagues below our weight, then yes it very much remains.
I've been an 'Oleskeptic' forever. You're preaching to the choir. The fact is that most of us (and most oppos) can see that he's not the brightest tool in the shed tactically, that he sucks at making subs, etc etc etc etc. We already know this and the fact that it happened again this game isn't going to change the mind of the opposing camp, who will come up with the same arguments about individual mistakes, not managers fault, top of the league etc.

The sides are entrenched. At the end of the day, the result doesn't change much, we should qualify anyway.

The only relevant question currently is whether we want him sacked or not right now. I'd personally keep him and hope my concerns are wrong and that he can win us a trophy, as I don't feel it's the right time for the club to sack him. (even though deep down I know I'll be disappointed, I just hope I'm not so will support him and the team, because what else can you do?)

Status
Not open for further replies.