Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Of the CL group yes. Matters as much as our league position at this point. What does matter though are the underwhelming performances with a world class squad and false dawn after false dawn after false dawn under Ole.
Lets see if we can be the best team of England before we can be the best team in the world. Let's win the PL.

My expectations for CL hasn't been high from the start anyway.

SAF only won the CL twice in absolute ages not sure why you expect Ole to win it after rebuilding United.

Anyway, one game in and people are knocking us out of the CL after a red card performance.

crossy1686

career ending
Some fans on here refuse to learn. @crossy1686, @Bobcat, @Tom Cato, @Crashoutcassius , @Berbasbullet, @Acquire Me and so many more.

This has been the same ole that has divided opinions since he came here. The only difference is that he is getting more quality players. I had a thread closed asking, why there is so many false dawns under Ole. The answer should be clear now that he isnt good enough. I still expect us to go through because we have an easy group, but it will take a great amount of luck for us to win the champions league with him in charge. This shouldn’t be United standards. We should expect better football with the team we have.

I will accept your apologies, but once again I am not surprised this happened. There will still be many more false dawns to come. We will not find the right consistency under Ole
The only one creating division is you with this nonsense

Godfather

Lets see if we can be the best team of England before we can be the best team in the world. Let's win the PL.

My expectations for CL hasn't been high from the start anyway.

SAF only won the CL twice in absolute ages not sure why you expect Ole to win it after rebuilding United.

Anyway, one game in and people are knocking us out of the CL after a red card performance.
No nobody does that. But we've made it so so much harder to ourselves. Just like last year which is pretty damning as we don't seem to learn.
But yeah there's no excuse to not get out of this group with the players at Ole's disposel.

padzilla

Hipster
Shambolic from our manager and team last night. Why the hell anyone would think taking off Ronaldo and Fernandes to bring on Matic and Lingard, neither of which should still be at the club, was a good idea is beyond me. Again, losing away in the Champions League is not the problem it is the never-ending procession of unconvincing performances, mixed with dire attitudes and bizarre coaching decisions, hoping that a bit of magic from attacking players will see us through that creates most concern.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I don't want to call them that, it's what they're actually called. "Shots on goal/target" are shots that are goal bound, meaning a save or block is needed to prevent a goal. An attempt is a finish, and can be either on or off target. You'd do well to learn the difference, especially if you're going to start following football.

And I never said I was pleased, I was just pointing out that you (once again) veered away from reality to make a point. Seems to be your thing.
I don’t think whether the poster called them a shot on goal or an attempt is really important at all. Their point is that we didn’t play at all after the sending off and that simply is unacceptable. Hope that clears it up for you.

EtH

I’m just depressed after that.

Honestly all this talk of progressive football and taking the next step from Ole over the summer and through preseason and here we are dropping another clanger of a result in our first CL match while parking the bus against Young Boys, FFS.

A man down or not that is embarrassing and that is not progressive or progress. Especially considering the transfer window we’ve just had. There’s plenty that could be said about the subs and tactics and team selection but honestly I can’t be bothered.

It’s just a kick in the pills.

Utd77

I don't see how he can possibly survive the excruciating embarrassment of witnessing Ronaldo, Pogba and Varane in the Europa League, that would be absolutely on him.

Real Name

This may sound like a kneejerk after some posts I made yesterday but here it goes.
I'm still probably more Ole in than out and some, many things he has done in and around the club have been great. Club is in a lot better shape than in what it was when he took the job, from recruiting to the general atmosphere in and around the club. And I wont take the PE teaches stuff, we did get 3rd and 2nd in the league and EL final and it wasnt all thanks to the players cause that would mean we have players who are beyond brilliant cause they can play all by themselves. Sure it could have been better maybe but the results still stand.

Problem is some problems still repeat themselves time and time again. I get it, we were man down but instead of putting 2 defensive players instead of a midfielder and a winger you just take out for instance Sancho and put Dalot in or Varane with Lindelof then playing a RB and that's it. By making changes he made yesterday he made a right mess, we had 2 midfielders on a paper but in reality it was just Fred or better yet we didnt have a midfield at all. VDB was ok yesterday and could have been ok for ball retaining and keeping us in the game in midfield, instead we went for a 3 at the back for god knows what reason. And even with that formation we seem to have decided to sit back and invite pressure and wait for the game to finish. Bonkers all around. I get it when you go man down you go defensive a bit but not so defensive to play with 9 players in your half and you dont get a sniff of their box let alone making a chance or 2. You play with 4 mids for instance and hit them on the counter or press them and dominate the game or if anything try to score a 2nd and close the game. Instead we were defending for our lives agains Young Boys with all due respect for them.

Sure we have 5 more games but wins in our home games are not given cause Villareal and Atalanta are really good teams. Atalanta playing an open game every time will suit us at OT but in away games anything can happen especially if the plan is to nick a goal and wait for the final whistle. I guess that was the plan yesterday 2 and red complicated things to the extent that Ole didnt exactly know what to do and how to do it. Taking Ronaldo of for Jesse, why? What could have Jesse offered. And from last season when he was barely playing he's now a player who comes in in i CL tie for what, steadying the middle or something. I just hope he isnt playing cause Ole wants to convince him to sign a new contract.Taking Bruno of was icing on the cake. We decided to go ultra defensive against a solid Suisse team by throwing defensive players left right and centre instead of trying to control the game and midfield by every means possible, calm their pressure down and try to score in the other end. Painful, painful watch. I think I'm repeating myself here... :)

Ole can prepare a team which can batter teams every now and then but when our team is pressed and is on the back foot he sometimes, often doesnt know how to change things on the pitch and it's a recurring theme unfortunately. Not only that but we tend to get dominated by average to poor teams too. We got dominated at Southamtpon, Wolves and yesterday. Against Leeds and Newcastle we were good but even against Newcastle we got carved open a few times like there's no midfield of ours of any sort.

I predict a similar season as yesterday, we'll win many games just by having so great firepower who can score from nothing but will get outdone in some games in which we should have won or in the dying minutes of some games cause our gameplan will collapse and it will be our outdoing when games like that mass. We will be near the top but will never really challenge for the title and will go good if we go through in our CL group. Sure you can say 5 more games but it will be tricky games especially if we'll play like yesterday.

I hate when I see that 'sackable offense' stuff 'round here but not going through in a group like that should be a sackable offense really no matter how we'll do in the league at the time group stages close.

Jury is still out regarding this season and we had a strong beginning in the league but that game yesterday. Ugh.

And his comments about doing good to earn a point in a difficult game. What is that? It means we consciously went so defensive in the 2nd half not cause they pinned us back. Whatever it was it was a horrible watch.

Last edited:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Some Ole fanboys are devoid of logic. Criticize him when we win with a bad performance and you would be called being negative. Criticize him when we are in shambles and lose and you are being called opportunistic taking the chance to fire shots at him.

Ole fanboys, just gives us a schedule with date and time when we can come to this thread.
Ha ha. This is so true.

mav_9me

Is he going to get sacked if we do not qualify from the group stage?
He should but if he would is questionable. Can't see glazers make a simple but bold call for them. At the same time can't see the players supporting him if we are out at group stages.

GMoore23

He should have brought Varane on for Sancho and moved Lindelof to RB.
We could've won the game if he hadn't went full Mourinho.

Real Name

Some Ole fanboys are devoid of logic. Criticize him when we win with a bad performance and you would be called being negative. Criticize him when we are in shambles and lose and you are being called opportunistic taking the chance to fire shots at him.

Ole fanboys, just gives us a schedule with date and time when we can come to this thread.
Sure. 15th of September 2025.
I'm not a fanboy (what are you, 15?) but gave you a date nevertheless.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Poor from him yesterday. Young boys in our league would definitely finish 20th, so being ashamed by them is a proof of how poor we are managed.

First thing the team wasn't really sharp before AWB's red. The line up was ok, but it was clear that it would have been a difficult game.

What is more amazing is how poor we were, once reduced at ten. These are all international, top level players who can't get the ball and pass the ball. We are really missing a brain or two in this team for this kind of moment, and this is exactly where the manager comes into consideration.

We can talk about his changes.

Sancho ==> Ok he was average and needed to remove one attacking player
VDB off at half time ==> Once again he destroys his confidence
Playing five at the back ==> accepts the pressure against a weak team
Matic and Lingard ==> Playing Lingard is fine, but playing him alone as a 9 when we try to keep the score.. useless
Martial for 5 mins ==> Just funny

United in sin

Crazy to think we've lost 7 out of the 11 CL games he's been in charge. Thats 13% of our entire losses in the CL and Solskjaer has only been in charge for 5% of all games in our CL history.

We're going nowhere fast with him at the helm and not even the best squad ever assembled can disguise his ineptitude.

The fact he's still not talking about winning big despite having Ronaldo and being entrusted with hundreds of millions in transfer money in his time here speaks volumes. No one sees us a major threat. Tuchel in the meantime has turned Chelsea, the club who fired their biggest icon and legend, into European champions and major favorites for honors on all fronts in less than a year. Something has to give

Last edited:

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell

:D

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I’m just depressed after that.

Honestly all this talk of progressive football and taking the next step from Ole over the summer and through preseason and here we are dropping another clanger of a result in our first CL match while parking the bus against Young Boys, FFS.

A man down or not that is embarrassing and that is not progressive or progress. Especially considering the transfer window we’ve just had. There’s plenty that could be said about the subs and tactics and team selection but honestly I can’t be bothered.

It’s just a kick in the pills.
This has been just talk for 3 and a half years now.

Godfather

This is last year Lampards seasons for him, totally backed up. I think the excuse about the squad not being good enough is out the window, specially with Cristiano on the team now.

It's a curse in disguise for him, will ultimately end up costing him the job. If we fail there's no one else to point the finger to.
The midfield. It's happening already.

NK86

That's obviously bullshit. What Ole did yesterday was classic Mourinho.
I swear. While watching the match live, I thought to myself this is exactly how we were with Mourinho at the helm. Awful football. The members on here defending Ole would be calling for Mourinho's head. However now we have threads about how online fans are awful.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Chelsea went a man down a way to a far superior side and barely conceded a chance after.
I know every game is different but the main issue here was that the direction the match went was entirely predictable after that red card. That's the biggest indictment.
The people saying "it's just one game" are being disingenuous and doing a massive disservice to their own arguments.
A lot of elements in that performance are a general theme of our game under this manager. We weren't even in control of the game before the red card.

Giggsyking

This is last year Lampards seasons for him, totally backed up. I think the excuse about the squad not being good enough is out the window, specially with Cristiano on the team now.

It's a curse in disguise for him, will ultimately end up costing him the job. If we fail there's no one else to point the finger to.
Dont underestimate his supporters. They already prepared a list of excuses.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He's slowly building a phenomenal team, but sadly in the process he's also increasingly exposing himself as being one of our weakest links. I like the job he's done and think he's been a good appointment overall, but we're approaching the point where we've reached the limit of what he can do for us. At least a good foundation has been laid for further down the line when a better tactical manager (hopefully) takes his place.
You're right. He has done a goof job but as a manager and coach, his limitations will never allow this team reach its potential.

the_answer

If Ole left United would he get a job at West Ham/Wolves/Villareal?
If Klopp left Liverpool would he get a job at Madrid/Juve/Dortmund...?
If Pep left City would he get a job back at Barca/Real/Milan?

That is the difference.

Ole is like that manager who used to run a McD franchise and only got his plushy C-Level because his dad owns the company.
While Pep kind of graduated cum laude from Harvard and was a manager at Google.

mu4c_20le

Chelsea went a man down a way to a far superior side and barely conceded a chance after.
I know every game is different but the main issue here was that the direction the match went was entirely predictable after that red card. That's the biggest indictment.
We barely conceded any chances. Defense was not the problem, it was offense. Did Chelsea create anything after going a man down?

The people saying "it's just one game" are being disingenuous and doing a massive disservice to their own arguments.
A lot of elements in that performance are a general theme of our game under this manager. We weren't even in control of the game before the red card.
That's your opinion, but I don't think it's accurate. BBC says we were well in control before the red, so not sure what you're standards were.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I wish if like the covid passports that each name on this forum had a - wanted Jose or didn't want Jose sign.

Would give me a big idea what kind of idea a person's mindset is.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
This was supposedly ‘the season’ where we can ‘fully’ judge Ole — i.e. to confirm if he’s just a manager who has gutted players who needed to go, added a feel good factor back to the club, and given us some good memories BUT one who can’t progress any further than that with actual silverware.

If we end this season without a trophy I really can’t see how he merits retaining his job.

Green Arrow

This was supposedly ‘the season’ where we can ‘fully’ judge Ole — i.e. to confirm if he’s just a manager who has gutted players who needed to go, added a feel good factor back to the club, and given us some good memories BUT one who can’t progress any further than that with actual silverware.

If we end this season without a trophy I really can’t see how he merits retaining his job.
As long as he gets top four he will be fine, he's just signed a new contract with the club. Just for the record I'm not defending him he's taken us as afar as he can and he's not the right manager for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.