Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Have to give Ole credit for his subs. Ballsy to sub Jesse on after the other day but his sub won the game. Can’t really ask for more than that.

Crashoutcassius

I don't think anybody is kidding themselves that he's some special manager... he's a manager who has made some good squad building decisions, a good man manager and you hope that combined with an excellent squad of players is enough to see us win trophies. But could we do better from a coaching perspective? Absolutely. It's a risk to destabilize things though. But this season for sure if we aren't successful then he should go.
This is all true, coupled with the fact that he could improve. The coaching aspect isn't even very important, his ability to pick good coaches is.

NZT-One

Take a tour of the GDT duriing the time when the subs were made to change your opinion.
Do you mean the matchday thread? I don't know what GDT means, I guess.

If it is the matchday thread, then I would never go in there if I get triggered by some comments. I am sorry, but this is heat of the moment stuff, who isn't able to ignore that stuff, shouldn't be in there. That may sound more strict than it is meant but we are talking about football here. In the moment when stuff happens. Do you really expect people to be sensible about that?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I never doubt with the sub he made today to brought on Lingard and Sancho for Greenwood and Pogba. Pogba was tired and it was obvious since Pogba played 90 mins in UCL with 10 men.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
:D

totally on your side with that. But if the atmosphere is a problem because the critics are more active, than the praisers should just be active as well.
And polarise the forum further?

Robbie Boy

:D

totally on your side with that. But if the atmosphere is a problem because the critics are more active, than the praisers should just be active as well.

I am not as long on the caf as you, who made the decision to open performance threads right after the game? (No criticism, just interested how things got how they are)
That's the kind of spammy shite that bell end Sammsky1 used to do, and it caused far more issues. After wins like against Leeds, there will be pages of praise. There really isn't a whole lot to discuss today.

For me, it was a good solid away performance against a tough side. Ole made good subs at the right time and we were deserved winners.

NZT-One

And polarise the forum further?
That would be one of the not-so-wanted-side effects I guess. But this is also done by the innocent questions where the critics are after good games, so if that is ok, why shouldn't the other be ok as well? I know for me, that this complaining about negativity is a bit annoying at this point.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
That would be one of the not-so-wanted-side effects I guess. But this is also done by the innocent questions where the critics are after good games, so if that is ok, why shouldn't the other be ok as well? I know for me, that this complaining about negativity is a bit annoying at this point.
Just look at the rate at which this thread grows after a draw vs Southampton/loss vs YB, and compare that to the number of pages the thread grew after we beat City 2-0 earlier this year - and that is the point around negativity people bring up.

This is our 3rd best start to a season in PL era (admittedly our fixtures have been favourable), but you go through this thread and it seems we're Newcastle

Viral United

It's good to see we have so much control in WH game. We always struggle there.
I also think we are now playing 'pass and move' style more.
Well deserved win.

NZT-One

Just look at the rate at which this thread grows after a draw vs Southampton/loss vs YB, and compare that to the number of pages the thread grew after we beat City 2-0 earlier this year - and that is the point around negativity people bring up.

This is our 3rd best start to a season in PL era (admittedly our fixtures have been favourable), but you go through this thread and it seems we're Newcastle
Mate one day, I will do a counting. Especially after the game against newcastly, lets say there were 100 new posts, I am sure 65 of them were from people articulating their not-understanding of how others could criticize stuff after a 4-1. Seriously, I get what you say, I'd say it is pretty natural with human beings because we have some pre-disposition to be more attracted to negative things, but at this point, the way bigger outcry after bad games is complaints about posts and posters. Not saying there isn't some hyperbole shit happening after games. But it certainly isn't the reason why the posts add up after bad days.

Robbie Boy

Mate one day, I will do a counting. Especially after the game against newcastly, lets say there were 100 new posts, I am sure 65 of them were from people articulating their not-understanding of how others could criticize stuff after a 4-1. Seriously, I get what you say, I'd say it is pretty natural with human beings because we have some pre-disposition to be more attracted to negative things, but at this point, the way bigger outcry after bad games is complaints about posts and posters. Not saying there isn't some hyperbole shit happening after games. But it certainly isn't the reason why the posts add up after bad days.
Pretty much. There's more moaning in here about posts and posters, than anything else. There's clearly a huge split in the forum, and people use this thread to play out personal, petty battles. It really is just an endless loop.

UDontMessWith24

Do you mean the matchday thread? I don't know what GDT means, I guess.

If it is the matchday thread, then I would never go in there if I get triggered by some comments. I am sorry, but this is heat of the moment stuff, who isn't able to ignore that stuff, shouldn't be in there. That may sound more strict than it is meant but we are talking about football here. In the moment when stuff happens. Do you really expect people to be sensible about that?
Match day thread in American English

lex talionis

There are two ways to look at a jammy 1-2 win over an opponent you expect to beat, but in this situation you have to give Ole credit for his subs.

I’d still like to see more cohesion among the four attacking players and a little bit more attacking support from our fullbacks, who were solid today but didn’t offer much in the final third.

Reddevildans

There are two ways to look at a jammy 1-2 win over an opponent you expect to beat, but in this situation you have to give Ole credit for his subs.

I’d still like to see more cohesion among the four attacking players and a little bit more attacking support from our fullbacks, who were solid today but didn’t offer much in the final third.
Not sure what you were watching but I think we jelled well today at the front. Created openings and shots on target especially in the first half. West ham are a tough opponent this season and I thought they defended very well. Especially Zouma. But longer term I agree we need to see more partnerships and patterns with our attackers. There's only so many times individual brilliance will see us to the finish lines.

Abraxas

It wasn't "jammy." We got what we deserved out of the game. Any which way you look at it we deserved to win the game. We controlled it, created more, had more will to go and win the game.

The only thing remotely fortunate was that we saved a last minute penalty but this is partly a good piece of play from our player and can only be described as luck if completely isolated from the rest of the game and refereeing incidents.

Eddy_JukeZ

I thought we really played well at times. We don't sustain it for as long as I'd like, but it is what it is.

His subs won the game today too. If VAR did its job, we win that more comfortably.

lex talionis

Not sure what you were watching but I think we jelled well today at the front. Created openings and shots on target especially in the first half. West ham are a tough opponent this season and I thought they defended very well. Especially Zouma. But longer term I agree we need to see more partnerships and patterns with our attackers. There's only so many times individual brilliance will see us to the finish lines.
The match I watched today was 1-1 until the late match winner by Lingard, ending in a 1-2 United victory. The chances we created were far from clear cut, although I am among the first to admit Ronaldo was in a fantastic scoring position twice but was denied two clear pens.

If we’re scraping by clubs like Wolves and West Ham and don’t improve our cohesion in the final third we’re going to end up trophyless yet again, which would be of concern to many of us. With players like Ronaldo and Pogba, who are not guaranteed to be here next season, this is the season to win trophies or rebuild again. That said, the foundation for improvement is there and I have no doubt that can can lift our game, but I really do hope you agree we must improve our attack from what we saw today.

UDontMessWith24

The match I watched today was 1-1 until the late match winner by Lingard, ending in a 1-2 United victory. The chances we created were far from clear cut, although I am among the first to admit Ronaldo was in a fantastic scoring position twice but was denied two clear pens.

If we’re scraping by clubs like Wolves and West Ham and don’t improve our cohesion in the final third we’re going to end up trophyless yet again, which would be of concern to many of us. With players like Ronaldo and Pogba, who are not guaranteed to be here next season, this is the season to win trophies or rebuild again. That said, the foundation for improvement is there and I have no doubt that can can lift our game, but I really do hope you agree we must improve our attack from what we saw today.
West Ham are much better than Wolves. This was a tough fixture.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
In post match conference he did say that we aren't defending well and want us to be more compact.

Reddevildans

Agree that we need to improve in the attacking areas. We need to be more creative aswell. Look at the amount of creative players we have. The problems come from the midfield which I can't see improving now. So the coaching and tactics need to be much better.

Eddy_JukeZ

He needs to get his team playing at a faster tempo. I really don’t know why we keep playing at a slow sluggish tempo.
Especially from the back.

Maguire/Shaw are big culprits for this even though I think both were great last season. They love to take their time on the ball.

We need to play faster(but I thought our play today was very good at times).

If VAR/Atkinson weren't criminal today, we win by 2 goals or more.

Foxbatt

West Ham are no mugs. They are a good side and we did well to beat them. Yes if the referee was competent we would have won much easier. I am happy with the three points and I thought the subs did their job which is why they come in anyway.

mu4c_20le

"Childish Ole in touchline tantrum because things didn't go his way"

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
With players like Ronaldo and Pogba, who are not guaranteed to be here next season, this is the season to win trophies or rebuild again.
Ronaldo joined 3 weeks ago and signed a 2+1 year contract with a big salary. He won't anywhere, and we also got Varane (5years) and Sancho (5+1y) so if Pogba leave we won't have to rebuild the squad, depending on which formation we decide to go with next season we still be in a position were we still need a CDM and IF Pogba leaves (which i don't think he will, he seems happy and tbh which other club have the money and the biggest priority? Juventus are won't attract him and they have not the economy for it. RM will go all in for Mbappe and signed Camavinga already and also extended Valverdes contract. Barcelonas economy is worse then bad. Bayern would never give him a 500k salary, then they would have to change the whole salary structure they have built up were the somehow seem to keep all German world class players for as long as they want even though they would get 30-40% more money in PL (Kroos might be the only one they didn't manage to keep when RM wanted him). PSG might be the only real threat, but if Mbappe leaves, Messi will maybe leave already next summer or stay max 1 more season, Neymar 30+, I'm not so convinced like many others are that PSG is that good or even a interesting project. Ramos is also 36 next year. They if anyone will need to rebuild in 1-2 years and i don't think they will ever be able to replace Mbappe, Messi, Ramos and suddenly the team is full of avarage players with extreme salarys + Neymar - if he stays, which I believe since i have a feeling he is more interested of being the show, playing for the national team and earning money then anything else.

Our project is full of players that are really good players (some even world class) in their prime years - Bruno, Pogba, Varane, Maguire, Shaw, DDG, Henderson

Huge potential and many of them already performing - Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho, AWB, VDB, Tuanzebe

Some amazing talents - Amad, Pellestri, Elanga, Hannibal, Shoretire, Hugil, Mcniell, Mengi

And then also 2 world class strikers that are old but their performances are still amazing (Ronaldo and Cavani)

I don't know, but i feel like our team is really interesting, and if Pogba stays and we can add 2-3 players next summer, priority is to sort out the CDM position, i don't see MANY teams with higher potential or better squad.

lex talionis

Ronaldo joined 3 weeks ago and signed a 2+1 year contract with a big salary. He won't anywhere, and we also got Varane (5years) and Sancho (5+1y) so if Pogba leave we won't have to rebuild the squad, depending on which formation we decide to go with next season we still be in a position were we still need a CDM and IF Pogba leaves (which i don't think he will, he seems happy and tbh which other club have the money and the biggest priority? Juventus are won't attract him and they have not the economy for it. RM will go all in for Mbappe and signed Camavinga already and also extended Valverdes contract. Barcelonas economy is worse then bad. Bayern would never give him a 500k salary, then they would have to change the whole salary structure they have built up were the somehow seem to keep all German world class players for as long as they want even though they would get 30-40% more money in PL (Kroos might be the only one they didn't manage to keep when RM wanted him). PSG might be the only real threat, but if Mbappe leaves, Messi will maybe leave already next summer or stay max 1 more season, Neymar 30+, I'm not so convinced like many others are that PSG is that good or even a interesting project. Ramos is also 36 next year. They if anyone will need to rebuild in 1-2 years and i don't think they will ever be able to replace Mbappe, Messi, Ramos and suddenly the team is full of avarage players with extreme salarys + Neymar - if he stays, which I believe since i have a feeling he is more interested of being the show, playing for the national team and earning money then anything else.

Our project is full of players that are really good players (some even world class) in their prime years - Bruno, Pogba, Varane, Maguire, Shaw, DDG, Henderson

Huge potential and many of them already performing - Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho, AWB, VDB, Tuanzebe

Some amazing talents - Amad, Pellestri, Elanga, Hannibal, Shoretire, Hugil, Mcniell, Mengi

And then also 2 world class strikers that are old but their performances are still amazing (Ronaldo and Cavani)

I don't know, but i feel like our team is really interesting, and if Pogba stays and we can add 2-3 players next summer, priority is to sort out the CDM position, i don't see MANY teams with higher potential or better squad.
Many thanks for the great post and I also want to acknowledge the other two replies. West Ham are off to a great start this season, and it must also be said that more clubs raise their game against us than any other club by far.

We do have a phenomenal crop of young talent but given our first team squad right now we and club leadership need to look at this season as the season to go for it all. Yes, you always go for it all with who you have but it’s not that hard to see Ronaldo and Pogba join Cavani in moving on over the summer if we crash out of the CL and are a distant distant second in the PL. The way we came back against West Ham is a giant step forward for this squad and I would say Ole as well in having the balls of steel to sub off Pogba with Lingard.

Jibbs

This is what United lacks. Wouldn't make a difference even if somehow we win the League under Ole. Chelsea won the Champions League with Di Matteo too, but him and Tuchel can never be compared.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

This is what United lacks. Wouldn't make a difference even if somehow we win the League under Ole. Chelsea won the Champions League with Di Matteo too, but him and Tuchel can never be compared.
:lol: this is what United need and even if I am proven wrong and we win the league then I am still right because one manager lucked their way through a cup competition 9 years ago.

Real Name

Thank you for proving your agenda.

Even if he somehow wins the league. :lol:
So you already decided he wont get any credit cause probably it will be all thanks to the players. We are hearing that he gets no trophies and if he somehow wins it he wont be good nevertheless.

Absolutely ridiculous and posts like this are all what is wrong with this place nowadays. Not to mention you felt the need to post it after we won the game. I bet you had it prepared so it wont go to waste.

Last edited:

MinGin

He is easily the luckiest manager on this planet or from any manager I have seen. I can’t believe there is anyone that will doubt that as it has been said many times already. De Gea saving a 2 points penalty against Noble? Unprecedented. Science can not explain his luck and it should definetly help him win something. On the another positive note, he made the right decision keeping Lingard and with the subs today. Other than that, with the players he has and the luck he composes, it has the formula to achieve something significant this season.
If Ole is a luckiest manager on this planet, he will get 3 penalty instead of none of them.
Then we hit a post, missed big chances, conceded a reflected goal and referee acted as opposite team player.
How luck Ole has?

Sometimes we need to win this type of football when everything seemed against the team.

EtH

Wouldn’t it be prudent to at least let Tuchel have one full season in the Prem before crowning him King of Kings and Lord of Lords ?

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
He deserved that so much, that was a good much in which we deserved a lot more. More of these performances.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
If Ole is a luckiest manager on this planet, he will get 3 penalty instead of none of them.
Then we hit a post, missed big chances, conceded a reflected goal and referee acted as opposite team player.
How luck Ole has?

Sometimes we need to win this type of football when everything seemed against the team.
It only goes to show that there are lots of dumb and miserable folks out there. They seem to believe that if we lose it's because Ole's completely useless and has to go. But if we win, we are Individual Brillance FC.

There is also a gulf in how long time United supporters ie those pre-Fergie and those who joined during Fergie see how the club is being re-built/managed by Ole. And also why they support United.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
He was slammed for his substitutions on Tuesday, I take it he is getting praised for his substitutions yesterday?

Status
Not open for further replies.