Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Stretford Paddock is unbelievably bias toward Ole. I dont mind the general football debates on there, but when it comes to Ole, they constantly defend him probably more than Oles own kids would.
Their highly partisan approach towards Ole and the coaching team leads me to think if they are hoping to secure an interview with a few of them in the near future. Adam has been amazing in analysing the game but stops short of ever pointedly calling out Ole's mistakes.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
We are now in the inexorable descent towards the sacking. But we will delay it until we are completely out if all competitions and hopelessly adrift in 6th place in the league and when no manager in his right mind would take us on. Would be great to think our owners could predict this like the rest of us can and just get it done now.
I much rather have the band-aid pulled out in one go. But I agree the process will be long drawn. I feel sorry for Ole too. He is clearly a positive and well-liked individual but it's a results business at the end of the day.

Matriac

We are now in the inexorable descent towards the sacking. But we will delay it until we are completely out if all competitions and hopelessly adrift in 6th place in the league and when no manager in his right mind would take us on. Would be great to think our owners could predict this like the rest of us can and just get it done now.
I predict that we'll win the league under Ole. I wonder if the owners can see that like the rest of us that think the same way as I do.

criticalanalysis

Again, I think that is a little bit simplistic. There are certain things that we do that we just do better after scoring.

For example, during the first half Bruno and Sancho seemed to be having an ongoing dialogue about what to do when the Villareal defence was in possession. The dialogue did not seem to be particularly fruitful either. However, after we scored the dialogue stopped and Sancho (as well as the rest of the front four) started pressing a lot harder.

You see these things every game. There are things United do in every match e.g., our fullbacks overlapping the inside forwards. However, they seem to do them a lot better after scoring. Often times United will do crossing drills pregame. Someone does a lay off to someone who switches it wide, to someone who puts in the box. Then the game starts and its like that idea has been forgotten...

...until a goal goes in. Then it becomes: 'Oh wait. Yes, we can do that!'

Nobody is saying Solskaer is Lobanvoski incarnate. However, the coaching staff clearly does want the team to do certain things. Yet the team is hamstrung by a jitteriness that its hard to explain. Honestly, it was a bit weird hearing Cristiano talk about how the team was nervous going into the match in his postgame interviews. Cristiano always gives off an aura of invincibility. Yet last night (and after the Newcastle game in fact) he spoke about his own nerves and that of the team.

Even Bruno's post match interview was slightly confusing. In so far as he mentioned that the team is aware that with Cristiano and Cavani they have forwards who will feed off any service they put into the box. So why wait until Telles scores to really try to deliver that service into the box?

I don't think its a question of not knowing the kinds of things they should do. There are enough agents buzzing about United, with disgruntled players, who if they really thought Ole's coaching was that bad it'd be all over the papers. I think its just that there's a mental block with United.

Actually, more than coaching, that is the most concerning element of Ole's management. When we got to the top of the table last season there was a collapse. In the Europa League final we choked. You can list the times where, when its really mattered, the team has got stage fright. A big part of Ole's job must be to help the team prepare, psychologically, to be able to execute when the heat is on.
It really is that simplistic and you're over thinking it. The coaching or lack of thereof is making 11 players nervous because they don't know what they are doing. How can you not see it after 3 years?

Ability to play in spurts/after being a goal down = individual brilliance i.e the cream will rise to the top eventually, there's too much quality etc.

Looking nervous and also playing shit in spurts = lack of coaching, lack of cohesive pressing, getting demotivated because the opposition are 5 times more organised, can play through our press, break easy because we don't counter press, we have suicidal midfield formations etc. How can you be confident about something you don't know? I can't walk into a job interview not knowing what questions are going to be ask, what role play scenarios I may have to come up with, what consistent experiences I can share etc. How can the players be confident about breaking down teams, sustaining pressure, not conceding easy chances etc when we've not demonstrated it before? Repetition and technique with patterns of plays, detailed instructions etc breeds confidence.

I'm not saying Ole has done a terrible job but at the top end scale of things i.e making us look like a top team with convincing, consistent, dominating performances regardless of opposition, he's done poorly. Of course there's a mental problem and the players deserve their fair share of criticism but that's minor in comparison and culpability to the one called the manager; it's his ship, he's the captain and it ends with him. If the ship is not running efficiently, you need to question the head before you start having looking at the crew, who are individually elite.

Last edited:

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Downward spiral? How so?

Point behind league leaders & can go top this weekend, it’s early days but hardly a descent

Zen86

Idk how he can be expected to do more to take them tbh. Man of the match all games he's played the full 90 in. Better than anything from McTominay in his cameo appearances. We've given literal shit players entire seasons worth of chances but we refuse to give back to back games to a guy who was being chased by the biggest teams in europe & who has been better than our current midfielders whenever he plays. Somehow you still get fools claiming he hasn't done enough with his time on the pitch.
You’re right, he’s quite clearly the best midfielder we have and it’s only Ole’s sinister plan to ruin his career that’s the problem. You have it all figured out.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Not lately, hes pretty much just as fed up with Ole as the rest of the members.
He refuses to go as far as saying Ole isnt the right manager, and has been called out for that. I think he definitely plays both sides.

IncyWincySpider

We're going to start seeing the centre backs lumping it up to the big man then. The final piece of the puzzle.

M16Red

You expect the players and staff to discuss how to improve. This is only a good thing.
I'd expect them to be implementing it seasons ago. Two / one touch play is a fundamental part of high level football. It shouldn't be a discussion.

Whether it is possible with Pogba is another matter, on FM does it say "dwells on the ball" as a key attribute? Not played it since I wanted my life back in 1999.

tomaldinho1

You expect the players and staff to discuss how to improve. This is only a good thing.
It's somewhat ironic given the last interview PL Ole gave we said we played 'too fast'.

If the plan morphs into simply feeding Ronaldo as much as possible and then bringing on Cavani late (simplistic but that is some serious attacking quality), in a way you start Telles (maybe Shaw needs a week or two off as has been poor), move Greenwood LW and Sancho plays RW. This allows crosses from both sides whereas currently Greenwood is excellent delivering from the right but there's not a huge amount coming from the left - even though Fred's cross wasn't amazing for the goal the other night, we have the players who will hurt teams & Pogba + MCT late runs into the box will be dominant aerially as well. It's not how I want to play and I don't think it'll win us trophies but it will maximise Ronaldo/Cavani and make use of Sancho properly being able to deliver from the RW. One thing people forget about 07/08 is we were so dominant aerially in attack, we scored lots of set pieces and headers on top of all the more technical coaching Queiroz did.

nokoya

Cristiano Ronaldo has told Ole Gunnar Solskjær that #mufc need to play quicker for him - he has made it clear that he can further increase his goal ratio if #mufc become sharper and quicker when distributing the ball in the opposition half. [@MarkOgden_]
Absolutely correct, we are slow in terms of creating chances. Pass here pass there, and in the end back to our defensive player. Some say Ole's and Co have no idea with the tactics. I tried to convenience myself sometimes to believe he is the correct manager for us. But mostly give me a bad feeling.

Playing ball possession makes me felt like we are back to the LvG era and I don't think it will win us a league title.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
I don't think Ronaldo is talking about counter attacks. He is talking about when Man Utd have possession. Utd pass it sideways for too long then the opposition counter and invariably score. Ronaldo wants Utd to mount an attack quickly before the opposition get into a low block formation. Who can argue with him? Certainly no-one on this forum.

Last edited:

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
That means one thing, he wants the D(onny)
He probably thinks Donny is a fluffer brought in by Ole to fulfill Ronny's every whim. When Donny told him he was a player Ronny just held Donny's face in his hands and kissed him on the forehead, then told him to go make a green tea frappe.

Last edited:

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Downward spiral? How so?

Point behind league leaders & can go top this weekend, it’s early days but hardly a descent

Four catastrophic performances in a row. No structure to the team’s play. Rabbit in the headlights in-game decision making. I hate to see it but this only ends one way.

If you’re content with how things are going, good luck with that and I truly hope you are right.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Downward spiral? How so?

Lost against Westham at home, lost against Villa at home, outplayed by Villareal at home. If that's not a bad run of form I don't know what else is.

Irwin99

Not sure if serious but I've heard that many times before; he's been in this situation at least 2 or 3 times already in his United managerial career and has always bounced back so I wouldn't bet on him leaving any time soon. The situation in the Everton game around this time last season was far more depressing in terms of results but it turned out to be a springboard for an outstanding run of form. It'd be just like him to get through October/November with some decent results and then feck it up in December when we have easier fixtures.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Ole is nowhere near the sack. He could get sacked but I think he still has the support of most Utd supporters. He needs to win things to increase his stature. I think he still has 2 more years to get some trophies, after that he will be sacked.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Nearly spat out my tea.
Unfortunately it is actually the most likely scenario. High probability we end the season trophyless but inside the top 4. Ole supporters will finally say this is his last chance next season with x midfielder. He has a repeat of his reign here where we are not real contenders for the big trophies and finally gets the sack after almost 5 years in charge and feck all to show for it. Our reactive board will not fire him this season unless it gets really bad or he misses out on top 4.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Bruno or Pogba play a speculative ball forward the moment they receive the ball. I don't know how much faster we can play it forward.

MattofManchester

Not seeing it anymore with him.

We play no different than two seasons ago.
Getting bored of it now.
If we pick up a trophy and challenge for the league, I'll be wrong, but I'm seeing many more trophyless years to come. It feels a bit like Jose's second and third seasons.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Seems reasonable and not a lot to ask for but for some reason the team is unable to make fast transitions from the defence. A prime Cesc Fabregas would be the ideal player for this team.

UDontMessWith24

I'd expect them to be implementing it seasons ago. Two / one touch play is a fundamental part of high level football. It shouldn't be a discussion.

Whether it is possible with Pogba is another matter, on FM does it say "dwells on the ball" as a key attribute? Not played it since I wanted my life back in 1999.
FM didn’t have that feature in 1999

Glorio

Bruno or Pogba play a speculative ball forward the moment they receive the ball. I don't know how much faster we can play it forward.
If any request was made, I think it would refer more to one touch, quick passing football, rather than long speculative balls forward

Status
Not open for further replies.