Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Absolutely nothing that has happened this season should make sacking a possibility right now.

3rd in the league, 2 points off the top, 1 point off first place in the CL.

Too much overreaction. He deserves the full season.
We are playing dogshite. Teams that win trophies generally petform well more often than not. Under performing in the majority of our games tells you where we are heading. There is feck all overreaction.

And please, the only reason we are still close is because the teams above us have had some tougher fixtures out the way. Get with reality.

Robbie Boy

Without reading back through the pages are there still Ole in fans?
Of course, and there's absolutely no problem with that. It's the wummy 'in' posters that are the issue. Most Ole-in posters have started to admit that they have doubts, so fair play for that, as it leads to sensible debates.

I guess the support for him is waning though. The general outlook at the start of the season was one of unanimous positivity, but it's all gone a-bit more negative now.

spiriticon

When we are on the backfoot and have no control of the game, he doesn't make any subs until the 85th minute.

When we are 1-0 up and in control, he makes 2 subs in the 55th minute.

Why?

red4ever 79

Remember the days if we would be behind or drawing and SAF would be prowling the touchline, feverently chewing his gum, looking at his watch, berating everyone. Fast forward and there is Ole smiling without a care in the world. Forget his lack of coaching expertise, the drop in standards is even worse.

AFC NimbleThumb

You might be right. I just remember feeling like we were utterly broken, dysfunctional mess that in the best case scenario would take years to rebuild after Mourinho. But i guess things always look worse than they are when Mourinho gets moved on. I think the team has been rebuilt, I like and rate the players we've put together and i think that progress was the more attractive part of his management than his week to week results which have been inconsistent. The results were usually just good enough to keep things going rather than a positive of his time, just no more progress or team building left to offset them now so its hard to find a compelling reason to stick with him anymore.
Oh we were in a terrible place after Jose downed tools; no doubt but after one decent run then finishing the season terribly - OgS has just rinsed & repeated for 3 seasons.

Genuine question, why should a squad with Pogba, Lukaku, Rashford, Shaw, De Gea, Lindelof, Martial, a young Greenwood, Matic, Fred, McTominay take ‘years to rebuild’? We’ve added to this squad in the last few years [& I don’t rate a number of the players above] but the bulk of our current squad were in situ. Yes the squad is better, undoubtedly, but with a better squad when is it ok to expect better results?

It’s always, ‘needs another season’ or ‘our squad isn’t as good as xxx’ but we don’t continue to struggle at hone against sides that ‘park the bus’ whilst struggling for the vast amount of this season to muster a performance because of our rivals squad strength. We’ve a squad to challenge for things, as of now we’re stumbling with our manager smiling on the sidelines peddling empty rhetoric.

He is literally less successful than LvG & Mourinho yet people on here want to tell you it’s ok because the ‘squad are happy’, having never set foot in the dressing room & despite VdB throwing a tantrum midweek. In years to come no one will give a sh*t how happy the squad were or were not, he needs to show a winning mentality as a manager.

so without the 95th minute winner against Villarreal and the late pen save vs West Ham we wouldn’t have had a single win in 6 games? (without mentioning the contentious win against Wolves)
But, progress.
Van Gaal got top 4 and a trophy, Mourinho got 2nd place and 2 trophies. People act like Ole has worked miracles but the truth is we are one of the richest clubs in the world and we can throw money at players/wages and do just enough to compete unless they're David Moyes. Ole has now had longer than all of them and you can't point to anything he's done that the others didn't/couldn't do. People talk about bringing the feel good factor back but it's just down to the fans affinity for Ole, we've played a lot of shite football in 2021.
Wholeheartedly agree. You’d think he’d take FC United to the Top 4 the way some talk. It’s been proven countless times of late that ‘the best’ managers can lead a turnaround in less time than this. I’m really loving how the ‘but we’ve improved our league position year on year’ lot are already getting their excuses in because last season was an anomaly - under OgS we will regress in the one thing that we’re throwing in peoples faces last season.
The answer is “NO” - Dave saving one penalty instead of missing one wouldn’t make Ole better. But it would make his record better and, I agree, that’s what really matters.

The smile did feel wrong. I think he is feeling the pressure, who wouldn’t? Just looking at him over the last couple of weeks, he has a strained look about him, nervier than usual, embarrassed about having to defend some poor performances and some bad results.

I agree with those who say the next month is make or break. Hard to say how many points he needs from the next six games but I am concerned he won’t get enough. Depends who we lose to and how badly but I don’t think the board will shy away from pulling the trigger if they can line someone up to come in.
Winning the game in 90 minutes against a team you vastly outstrip in terms of every resource would though. If you think that loss was simply down to DdG not making a save you’re lost. He’s been continually out coached in games that matter, so the answer is ‘Yes’, it’s not just Villareal - all managers lose games in finals, the best ones actually win one or two though. Winning something would make him far more accomplished, we aren’t some underdog.

He’s been in multiple advantageous positions to win trophies then lost them playing his best sides, Europa League, FA Cup, League Cup is irrelevant; he’s tried his hardest to win competitions & lost. He isn’t good enough.

VivaJesperBlomqvist

I just don’t want us to ruin Ronaldo’s last two seasons. Arguably the greatest player ever deserves to go out on a high, not languishing in Ole’s amorphous regime.

Pep's Suit

When was the last time a manager with Ole's CV won PL? The closest is Pellegrini but he still had good results in La Liga + CL with Malaga and Villarreal and coached Real for one year. But even then he only had 1 great season out of 3 in England.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I've woken up today and remembered the board and ownership could not care less about the club challenging for, or winning, trophies. We can't control it. Is what it is. I'm back aligned with supporting Ole.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I don't understand how some of you, who want Ole to stay, can justify our performances. We have one of the best teams in Europe, he is here 3 years but still have only two good games this season. All others were poor or average at best.

We play defensive football without creating any clear chances. This is awful to watch. Especially when you see how our rivals play.

Ixion

If Ole was not a former player there would be much less support for him. Jose followed a 2nd place (81pts) then got the boot while we were 6th in his 3rd season. Ole got 2nd with 74 points and with our upcoming set of games who knows what position we'll be in, and we've been playing utter shite football, but he isn't remotely close to losing his job. Our Europa League Final performance was as bad as anything we saw under Van Gaal and Jose and our start to this season is currently on a downward trajectory since that game. He needs to turn it around but he should at least have way more time to do so than his predecessors.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
If Ole was not a former player there would be much less support for him. Jose followed a 2nd place (81pts) then got the boot while we were 6th in his 3rd season. Ole got 2nd with 74 points and with our upcoming set of games who knows what position we'll be in, and we've been playing utter shite football, but he isn't remotely close to losing his job.
Another puzzle he has is that he needs to sort this out, but a lot of his players are away on international duty. If he comes up with some plan he does not have much time to work on it.

Robbie Boy

I've woken up today and remembered the board and ownership could not care less about the club challenging for, or winning, trophies. We can't control it. Is what it is. I'm back aligned with supporting Ole.
Supporting an underperforming manager - who looks like he won't ever be good enough - because you have no faith in the Board, isn't really very rational.

KiD MoYeS

Supporting an underperforming manager - who looks like he won't ever be good enough - because you have no faith in the Board, isn't really very rational.
I don't think he will be sacked in time to save this season, do you? I think we will have a new manager next season. I am not going to pull my hair out every week over an inept board. The ownership does not care about trophies unfortunately, it is wasted emotions.

croadyman

I just don’t want us to ruin Ronaldo’s last two seasons. Arguably the greatest player ever deserves to go out on a high, not languishing in Ole’s amorphous regime.
Yeah think many of us don't want to see that happen either but under him it's looking inevitable Ronny's career could end up going out under this regime which would be very sad for one of the greatest of all time

croadyman

I have come to realise that many don't want us to sack him because neither of Pep or Klopp is available, yes I would have included Tuchel as well but then at least with him we could have made it happen but sentimental FC just watched as Chelsea acted like a big club whilst we accept mediocrity. Yes there is no guarantees with the likes of Potter, Enrique or Ten Haag but at least we have seen evidence these guys at least know what to do on a coaching field and don't look totally lost

Robbie Boy

I don't think he will be sacked in time to save this season, do you? I think we will have a new manager next season. I am not going to pull my hair out every week over an inept board. The ownership does not care about trophies unfortunately, it is wasted emotions.
I personally wouldn't sack him just yet. But yes, if we pull the trigger, say at the end of November, it's plenty of time to salvage our season, if it's gone to shit. It doesn't mean I'll be defending him if things go tits up, as it'll be gone way beyond that point. I was all for giving him the season, even if we looked a-bit rocky, but now I'm not so sure. If we continue with these performances, we're going to have a very poor run of results and his position will become untenable. But hey, will we act in time? Probably not.

I'm starting to come to the stage of just being resigned, like I did with LvG and Moyes. With Mourinho, it was different as he was actively hurting the club, so I passionately posted my strong views on wanting him gone. With Ole, I'll become detached and I certainly won't become emotionally invested. I haven't been emotionally invested in a manager post SAF, as they haven't been the most likeable, charismatic bunch. The initial buzz of Ole was great, but I don't find him overly endearing.

I'm slowly coming to the point of going through the motions like we had to do with LvG and Moyes. It was as obvious as the day is long with those two, that we were drifting towards a slow, painful divorve. It kind of feels that way with Ole. Apologies, as I slightly misconstrued your last post: I thought you were saying blindly back him for however long, because you don't have faith in the Board. My faith in the Board is also minimalistic, but sacking an underperforming manager and having little faith in the Board, aren't mutually exclusive. I imagine Ole will probably see out the season, and though I think it'll be ridiculous if things get really bad, I've made my peace with it and I certainly won't become emotionally invested in it. We'll plod along, with a decent spell here or there, but overall it'll all be very underwhelming.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Nobody trusts the Utd board. They made a string of bad appointments and their next appointment might be terrible. Better the devil you know. I don't want another Utd gouging by ex-liverpool players. I really think Ole can achieve something this season. Midfield is unfortunate but the season can still be semi-successful. I hope Ole get's one more summer. 2022-23 season should be his tipping point.

Ixion

Carrick will probably succeed Ole this season as interim manager for feck sake.
The whole set-up is a joke. Ole and Carrick are in the jobs because they played for us, not because they were the best candidates available. Pointless sentimentality.

KiD MoYeS

I personally wouldn't sack him just yet. But yes, if we pull the trigger, say at the end of November, it's plenty of time to salvage our season, if it's gone to shit. It doesn't mean I'll be defending him if things go tits up, as it'll be gone way beyond that point. I was all for giving him the season, even if we looked a-bit rocky, but now I'm not so sure. If we continue with these performances, we're going to have a very poor run of results and his position will become untenable. But hey, will we act in time? Probably not.

I'm starting to come to the stage of just being resigned, like I did with LvG and Moyes. With Mourinho, it was different as he was actively hurting the club, so I passionately posted my strong views on wanting him gone. With Ole, I'll become detached and I certainly won't become emotionally invested. I haven't been emotionally invested in a manager post SAF, as they haven't been the most likeable, charismatic bunch. The initial buzz of Ole was great, but I don't find him overly endearing.

I'm slowly coming to the point of going through the motions like we had to do with LvG and Moyes. It was as obvious as the day is long with those two, that we were drifting towards a slow, painful divorve. It kind of feels that way with Ole. Apologies, as I slightly misconstrued your last post: I thought you were saying blindly back him for however long, because you don't have faith in the Board. My faith in the Board is also minimalistic, but sacking an underperforming manager and having little faith in the Board, aren't mutually exclusive. I imagine Ole will probably see out the season, and though I think it'll be ridiculous if things get really bad, I've made my peace with it and I certainly won't become emotionally invested in it. We'll plod along, with a decent spell here or there, but overall it'll all be very underwhelming.
Yeah, I'm with you on this. I think there will be plenty more ups and downs this season but we are likely to see our rivals lift silverware in May and not us so I'll try take the good days as they come and try not let the absolute state of the club from top to bottom depress me too much.

Robbie Boy

Ironic. I’m fairly sure there was some context to those last 5 games…can’t remember what it was though.
What's your point? There's context to everything. You can't simply pick and choose the sample size that fits the narrative. If people want to take a holistic look at his tenure and feel it's not good enough, that's totally fair. Throwing '7 games' at them, is eh, odd...

Kopral Jono

Weird take. No one, not Ronaldo, not Ole, not Sir Matt and not even Fergie, is bigger than the club. I want Ole gone for this simple maxim and not for any other reasons.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I would love to be proven wrong but I have no confidence in Ole winning trophies for us as manager. The 'PE teacher' 'no tactics whatsoever' kind of talk is not my cup of tea but I am sure we could get a better manager in who would produce better football on a more consistent basis and put us back in the mix for trophies.

It's nothing personal against Ole and I've broadly supported the work he's done here but I'm ready for a change in the near future.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I want everything to be ruined if that means the club will actually win stuffs in an entertaining way again. Ronaldo will retire in 5 year max, Ole will get the sack eventually but I'd still be watching United when I'm 70.

Robbie Boy

Yeah, I'm with you on this. I think there will be plenty more ups and downs this season but we are likely to see our rivals lift silverware in May and not us so I'll try take the good days as they come and try not let the absolute state of the club from top to bottom depress me too much.
I totally agree. I've never been fully sold on Ole, but one of the reasons I was all for keeping him, was that we were making some form of progress. It really wasn't enough imo, but given I had zero faith the Board would appoint the right man, I was happy enough to keep him, for the time being. If that progress goes out the window, he has to go.

Hopefully some of the strong characters in the squad could somewhat influence the next appointment. If we feck it up, we are in a total mess. Things have been fixed by Ole to a point, so the next appointment needs to be someone to get the best out of our rather impressive squad.

Last edited:

croadyman

That laugh and smile honestly hurt me, I love the guy but that just made me think this is a guy happy with what he's seeing.

Whilst Ronaldo is off down the tunnel showing him how he should fecking feel.

How can you respect a manager when he's smiling like that, he needs to making the players fear him.
Yeah they aren't going to fear a manager who has a cheery personality after dropping points at home

croadyman

This is what's most frustrating to me. This is such a good squad we have now, and it would be so sad if this set of players didn't end up winning anything.
Yeah and things like that need to get bigger scrutiny in the press but won't due to his mates in the media

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Was my favorite player growing up but as a manager I am growing to hate him. How many times we are going to get countered from our own set pieces and get scored for him to learn.
Do you even think we work on any of our weaknesses? Slow start every game, starting to play only after conceding, McFred.

There's no evidence that we address any of that in training. All comes down to the manager. Ole has to go.

Ixion

I was never really Ole Out despite being unconvinced about giving him the job full time but the Europa League Final and not signing a CM this summer have made me completely happy to call out his flaws and not argue for his future at the club. Literally the worst performance I can recall in any United Final in memory, no energy, no chances, playing for penalties, fecking awful, and then choosing to ignore our biggest weakness once again while we've given out contracts to players that should have moved on.

YikesSchmeics

Absolutely nothing that has happened this season should make sacking a possibility right now.

3rd in the league, 2 points off the top, 1 point off first place in the CL.

Too much overreaction. He deserves the full season.
That would be the case if he took over last December or the summer just gone.

He has had so much time. And it was always that we needed the players for his system. And now we are 2 months into the season with the best squad we have had since 2008 and he is still dropping these clangers more often than he isn't. The evidence is there. It's not because he needs better players. It's because he is tactically inept at this level.

The performances vs Southampton, Villa, Wolves, West Ham (cup), Young Boys, Villarreal and now Everton, have been absolutely dire. That's 70% of the season so far that we have been pure and utter muck.

In the 30% of good - Leeds play right into our hands. Newcastle we wobbled but the Ronaldo effect dragged us over the line. And West Ham away we were a Dave save from a very different resut in a game we should have been home and hosed in.

Giving him the season is wasting a year of arguabpy a 1-3 year window to win with the best squad we have had in years. This is big boy stuff now. A distant 2nd isnt good enough anymore. Expectations are back where they are supposed to be, so pressure is relative.

Reactions: Sultan

croadyman

Quite frankly Ole's legendary status with the board and many of our sentimental fans could easily see him get away with having a shocker October/November like we saw under LVG in December 2015, yes I will admit these fixtures are harder than Louis faced but always said this would be the hardest sacking Utd have ever had to do

luke511

"That's something that happens in football" I wonder how many times he's blamed football in the dressing room after a disappointing result.

Status
Not open for further replies.