Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

pascell

"You should always start with your best players"

It's just a bit of silly isn't it. It's completely unviable to start a 36 year old every single game of the season.
Are you joking? Portugal play Qatar in a friendly and Luxembourg in a qualifier, Ronaldo probably would only play vs Luxembourg.

MichaelRed

Is this a piss take? Are we genuinely arguing 36 year old Ronaldo is a better option 2 days after playing 95 minutes than Cavani? We aren’t replacing him with shit here are we. It’s Cavani. Some would say the fact Cavani actually fecking moves without the ball may make him a better player for the team regardless but whatever.
A good manager would find a way to play them both. Also yeah, Ronaldo can play no problem after such a short turnaround as we saw in the Euros.

MichaelRed

While your enthusiasm on this topic has been noted, it has been unanimously agreed by the members of staff who have voted that a poll won't be going up at this moment in time. If/when circumstances change - at the staff's discretion without the prodding of members either way - a poll will go up and I'll be sure to tag the three of you. In the meantime any attempts to make a new thread/add a poll to this one by any member with poll privileges will be locked and/or deleted without reply.
You had a poll to decide whether or not to have a poll?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
While your enthusiasm on this topic has been noted, it has been unanimously agreed by the members of staff who have voted that a poll won't be going up at this moment in time. If/when circumstances change - at the staff's discretion without the prodding of members either way - a poll will go up and I'll be sure to tag the three of you. In the meantime any attempts to make a new thread/add a poll to this one by any member with poll privileges will be locked and/or deleted without reply.
That opening line is gold Damien. But can we have a poll on a next manager please? :D

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Can someone explain what "stability" means which became Ole's biggest plus here. I am not wumming (i never do, i suck in it). Really want to know what is it regarding our club. We dodn't have during Jose or Lvg? How manager brings that?

Edit: and question for mods. Lately some Ole biggest critics are banned. They crossed the line and started with abuse or...? I mean, i like to be on this forum so trying to not do wrong step. :( .

JuriM

I am afraid we won't see this setup, but a would like to see a 4-3-3DM with Van de Beek, Pogba and Bruno in midfield setup. It's such a Football manager move, but if it clicks it would be pure sexyness. :D

That's like everyone saw Llorente as a pure dm before he joined Atletico and Simeone transformed him into a trequartista and in Spain setup he plays a right back sometimes.

Cloud7

Like I just said in the other thread, this feels like a final two fingers up from Woodward to the fans. No need to do any of this, especially when we're a shambles at the moment, yet here we are. Why has he/we done it? Any other club would ride it out and see where we end up. It's like the ultimate WUM except they're also shooting themselves/the club in the foot at the same time. No supporter should be happy about this news at this stage.
Woody going out with a bang.

"You guys protested after the Super League and made enough pressure for me to leave the job? Well have Ole and friends for three more years!"

Although I would like to think that Murtough and Fletch are the ones making these calls right now and not Woody.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Call me old fashioned but I’d love to see us try a classic 442 with this squad. I know we don’t have the ideal midfielders for it but Ronaldo and Cavani/Greenwood up top with decent crosses being whipped in from the wings would be a sight to behold.

BorisManUtd

Our next 10 games that started with Leicester away on 16th of October and end against Arsenal at Old Trafford on 30th November are extremely difficult. I can see us beating Leicester maybe, because of their form so far this season, Atalanta at home and Watford away, apart from that it'll probably be draws (like Tottenham, away CL games, Arsenal) and losses against Liverpool, City, Chelsea. Perhaps we could beat Tottenham as they're not very good side, even Chelsea in scenario where it's a dull game and someone like Rashford wins it for us with an individual brilliance.

Basically, coming into December, if Ole is still there, it means we didn't do bad in these October and November fixtures which would be positive thing, if Ole is sacked by then, we're probably far away from league leaders and maybe even out of CL which would be another disaster for this team. Big month and a half coming up after international break for Ole and the team.

LJJT

Phelan was hardly one of the highest rated assistants we had, this is demonstrated by the fact he was working in australia before we brought him back.

We are now in a position where we have a head coach and assistant which no other big european would want should we let them go and yet we felt the meed to tie them down to let term contracts. In fact the same could be aaid for all our coaching team which is bizarre for a club of our size
Rene did well when he left us didn’t he? Carlos Q hardly set the world on fire.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Our next 10 games that started with Leicester away on 16th of October and end against Arsenal at Old Trafford on 30th November are extremely difficult. I can see us beating Leicester maybe, because of their form so far this season, Atalanta at home and Watford away, apart from that it'll probably be draws (like Tottenham, away CL games, Arsenal) and losses against Liverpool, City, Chelsea. Perhaps we could beat Tottenham as they're not very good side, even Chelsea in scenario where it's a dull game and someone like Rashford wins it for us with an individual brilliance.

Basically, coming into December, if Ole is still there, it means we didn't do bad in these October and November fixtures which would be positive thing, if Ole is sacked by then, we're probably far away from league leaders and maybe even out of CL which would be another disaster for this team. Big month and a half coming up after international break for Ole and the team.
Hate to break it to you but the most likely scenario is the run of games being very poor and Ole remaining in the job. The club are sticking with him.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
It feels like the media pressure is building on Ole. The BBC main headline on their sport page is that Sir Alex said "you should always start your best players". I can't remember this much talk about his future for a long long time. A poor result against Leicester and I think we'll be talking about "X games to save his job"

YeahYeah

I think fundamentally, the players do not fear Ole. You need the magical iron-fist in velvet glove combination. Where players dread going back to the dressing room because of the hair-dryer treatment. In fact, you look at our entire coaching staff and it is filled with velvet glove types. No need to go full Conte, but we need someone to be the bad cop. Maybe Keane in as one of the assistant coaches?
Haha Keane is far crazier than Conte. Youre talking about not going full Conte? Remember when Keane said he would have hit DDG or smth like that haha.
Im all for a bad cop but Keane oh man.

With that being said I dont really get the apprehension towards Conte.
I do wanna have the manager that knew how to use Pogba well. When he plays for France he looks a proper midfielder, was the best player of Euro 2020 if you ask me.
Well I want that!!!!!! (Add another 1000 exclamation points)

Josh 76

Call me old fashioned but I’d love to see us try a classic 442 with this squad. I know we don’t have the ideal midfielders for it but Ronaldo and Cavani/Greenwood up top with decent crosses being whipped in from the wings would be a sight to behold.
“Don’t have the ideal midfielders”
There is your answer

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
A good manager would find a way to play them both. Also yeah, Ronaldo can play no problem after such a short turnaround as we saw in the Euros.
Nope, they can't play together. That would make us too vulnerable. It's been clear from day 1 that Ronaldo coming will limit Cavani's minutes, and we should be trying to find them whenever possible. A game mere 2 days after tough outing against Villarreal gives you that opportunity. Besides, Cavani played well in that particular game.

MichaelRed

Nope, they can't play together. That would make us too vulnerable. It's been clear from day 1 that Ronaldo coming will limit Cavani's minutes, and we should be trying to find them whenever possible. A game mere 2 days after tough outing against Villarreal gives you that opportunity. Besides, Cavani played well in that particular game.
This is such a stupid take given the defensive workrate put in by Cavani is far greater than that of Sancho yet nobody has a problem playing Sancho & Ronaldo together.

Matt851

Rene did well when he left us didn’t he? Carlos Q hardly set the world on fire.
True

My point was more that the whole setup is second rate, rather than saying we should go and hire former united coaches to help improve the team

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Is Ole the only Utd manager who has been top of the league at any stage since Fergie retired? I think he is.

Fair enough it was short lived and we came second last year but we haven't even been top of the league under 3 vastly more experienced managers than Ole. Says it all.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Is Ole the only Utd manager who has been top of the league at any stage since Fergie retired? I think he is.

Fair enough it was short lived and we came second last year but we haven't even been top of the league under 3 vastly more experienced managers than Ole. Says it all.
Only manager to be top after Christmas, yes. Otherwise no. Mou was top of the league in his second season after gw3 or 4. LVG was top in his 2nd season till late Oct/Nov

InfiniteBoredom

Both LvG and Jose did, even Moyes did after the 4-0 opening day at Swansea.

And this is pure RAWKish energy.

Siorac

Van Gaal was top for a week at the end of September 2015.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Yeah it was after Xmas. Somebody already corrected me.

The least experienced coach of the lot is the only one with two consecutive top 4 finishes and getting to 1st place after Christmas. Says it all about how badly run our club has been.

Dve

Depends on what your goals are. If you're content with a top 6 finish, well it's probably not that crucial. If you're content with challenging for the title, like we should be doing, well it definitely is. As a matter of fact, any Prem game is crucial. Games like this decides titles.
Alright, so no rotation the the PL then. I disagree.

Withnail

Can someone explain what "stability" means which became Ole's biggest plus here. I am not wumming (i never do, i suck in it). Really want to know what is it regarding our club. We dodn't have during Jose or Lvg? How manager brings that?

Edit: and question for mods. Lately some Ole biggest critics are banned. They crossed the line and started with abuse or...? I mean, i like to be on this forum so trying to not do wrong step. :( .
I'm no expert but my understanding is that you get a few warnings and usually a temp ban before a permanent ban unless you go off the rails altogether.

I think most of the recent ones would have had repeated warnings for various things.

If you haven't had a warning and your posts aren't all negative rants you're probably fine. You could post the question in the ask a mod thread if you're concerned.

James Peril

Says absolutely nothing. You’re selling it like we were close and just fell short, we were never in a title race last season - not even close to being close. Arsenal are also top of the league before the seasons even starts, who cares.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Says absolutely nothing. You’re selling it like we were close and just fell short, we were never in a title race last season - not even close to being close. Arsenal are also top of the league before the seasons even starts, who cares.
We came 2nd in the best and hardest league in the world. Hardly crime of the century is it yet our fans behave like we came 16th. It's utterly bizarre.

steve.crowford

Phelan just extended his contract until 2024.
So Ole will be going nowhere. You can run from it or try to hide, but this man is never getting sacked.
He is going to go on an epic run of wins after the international break and win The FA Cup.
He won. I'm #OleIn from here on out.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Excellent analogy. Those are totally the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.