Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mu4c_20le

Why are Danny Blind's comments getting this much traction?
They aren't, because he's just repeating what others have said, but it's funny to see people using it as a stick to beat Ole with and then getting worked up when his managerial record gets questioned. The same people probably did the same to Neville back when he defended Ole.

Giggsy13

But but but there is harmony in the squad now and they're all best mates. A new manager would just simply rip up everything Ole has built therefore unless pep or Klopp are available we must stick with Ole!!
Absolutely. We can never have an external hire again. If It doesn’t work two times then we MUST never do it again.

The best part of this Ole in reasoning is that Sir Alex would not have fit their criteria for manager, since he wasn’t a club man! :lol:

Dve

Our board is the same bunch of people who haven't been particularly successful with managers since Ferguson retired. I'm not sure why I should be impressed by their opinions.

I don't know what our players think of him. He has good man management skills so it makes sense they'll be on his side. Most of them have not played for big, successful teams, so I'm not sure how much they are able to judge his more technical football abilities.

Players don't join Ole Gunnar Solskjaer FC. They join Manchester United. No matter who manages us, we're an attraction.

His results in his first two full seasons were pretty good. The football has never convinced me he can take us to where we want to go. And since his appointment I've always been focused on the football rather than the result.

As for a smart, proactive club, Bayern were rightly mentioned. But frankly, he wouldn't have survived past his first full season in any other big club.
And every appointment have been made with the blessings of the fans, so surely their opinions are not very impressive either. And you cannot compare the PL to the German league where Bayern are expected to win every year. No way any of the top teams in England would sack their manager with the results Ole has had so far.

Dve

The board are utterly incompetent though…

They have failed, repeatedly, to construct a success footballing structure for years despite having a humongous financial advantage over other boards who manage to create a functional system on a shoestring compared to Utd.

Using the current Utd board’s backing as a signal of legitimacy is terrifying tbh.
While Liverpool and City have had the advantage of continuity, mind. And City and Chelsea on a shoestring compared to us? That´s rich.

432JuanMata

While Liverpool and City have had the advantage of continuity, mind. And City and Chelsea on a shoestring compared to us? That´s rich.
Liverpool hired Klopp and bought into his style. At the time he didn’t have the players you could see his style and pattern of play almost immediately. City prepared for Pep a good while before he turned up.
Us on the other hand hired LVG who then installed a way of playing and while he as a manager failed so rightfully was sacked, we then hired Jose who instead of being a manager who played the same way he played Rigid and had to buy and sell loads of players too then change to his style.

We as a club over the last 8 years have no plan or game style that we want to implement which is worrying. We just seemed to hire the best option available regardless of there vision

LJJT

Pretty sure OGS won’t give a monkeys want Blind thinks. As others say it’s sour grapes due to their prodigal son not being good enough to get in the team. Clearly the narrative now in the media to say OGS is clueless, has no style of play and Is winning matches from individual moments. Not sure why non of the experts haven’t said this in the previous few years if it’s been so obvious this way all the time. Everyone just wanting their moment in the sun seeing as we make the headlines. Hope we go on a good run now and silence the haters

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Liverpool hired Klopp and bought into his style. At the time he didn’t have the players you could see his style and pattern of play almost immediately. City prepared for Pep a good while before he turned up.
Us on the other hand hired LVG who then installed a way of playing and while he as a manager failed so rightfully was sacked, we then hired Jose who instead of being a manager who played the same way he played Rigid and had to buy and sell loads of players too then change to his style.

We as a club over the last 8 years have no plan or game style that we want to implement which is worrying. We just seemed to hire the best option available regardless of there vision
Chelsea and RM usually don’t have a set style of play either. But their managerial appointments still more often than not work out.
We won’t have a fixed or preferred style of play either. I mean who in our board is competent and knowledgeable enough to define it and then stick to it and act accordingly over the years across several managers and player signings?

What style did Zidane or Ancelotti (first time) at RM have?
If you are successful then hardly anyone will question your style (maybe clubs like Ajax being an exception). However if you are not and the results don’t speak for itself then all these questions come up.

Kaos

Pretty sure OGS won’t give a monkeys want Blind thinks. As others say it’s sour grapes due to their prodigal son not being good enough to get in the team. Clearly the narrative now in the media to say OGS is clueless, has no style of play and Is winning matches from individual moments. Not sure why non of the experts haven’t said this in the previous few years if it’s been so obvious this way all the time. Everyone just wanting their moment in the sun seeing as we make the headlines. Hope we go on a good run now and silence the haters
I mean it's not as if this narrative appeared overnight. In his early tenure he's had the excuse of needing more time and players to get it right. Now three years has passed and he has a squad consisting of world class players and we still look like a side of no side of play, a lack of consistency and no trophies to boot. So I think its the realisation that Ole has taken this club as far as he can, and the job now is beyond his abilities and competency.

432JuanMata

Chelsea and RM usually don’t have a set style of play either. But their managerial appointments still more often than not work out.
We won’t have a fixed or preferred style of play either. I mean who in our board is competent and knowledgeable enough to define it and then stick to it and act accordingly over the years across several managers and player signings?

What style did Zidane or Ancelotti (first time) at RM have?
If you are successful then hardly anyone will question your style (maybe clubs like Ajax being an exception). However if you are not and the results don’t speak for itself then all these questions come up.
Yeah but the difference with Chelsea and RM is they sack when it’s going below expectations yet we only sack when top 4 is gone.

Take last season for example if it was us in the position Chelsea were we wouldn’t of sacked Ole til it was mathematically impossible to finish top 4 while Chelsea did and won a CL and got top 4

We either need to be ruthless like Chelsea, RM or do a City and Liverpool were we have a set way of playing and buy into it.
We seem to be in the middle.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Even if you genuinely believe that Ole can take us further with what we have and maybe even win a big trophy, does anybody truly believe that we'll be as good as we could be with him in charge?

In my view winning one PL is just the start, we need to be competing every single year and we need a manager that can evolve with the game and the competition, shape our squad and tactics based on the players we have etc. I am firmly a non believer because, for me, Ole has proved beyond doubt that he isn't the man to do this. He's certainly not the type of manager that can elevate a team above the sum of its parts either, which is something that even Fergie had to do many times at United. We didn't always have a great team.

Chairman Steve

If Danny Blind gets roasted for his managerial/coaching career for criticising OGS, then who the feck is anyone on this entire forum to pass comment on anything? Are we all of bunch of coaches and managers who’ve won trophies at the top levels hiding under aliases? What right do we have to pass comments on Danny Blind going by that logic?

Its silly. People are getting mad because an accomplished footballer and coach said some things that people on here say regularly and they can’t stand that for some reason, then the classic tactic of ‘if you can’t attack the argument, you attack the person’

432JuanMata

If Danny Blind gets roasted for his managerial/coaching career for criticising OGS, then who the feck is anyone on this entire forum to pass comment on anything? Are we all of bunch of coaches and managers who’ve won trophies at the top levels hiding under aliases? What right do we have to pass comments on Danny Blind going by that logic?

Its silly. People are getting mad because an accomplished footballer and coach said some things that people on here say regularly and they can’t stand that for some reason, then the classic tactic of ‘if you can’t attack the argument, you attack the person’
I don’t really care if a person who won everything or a failed manager makes comments it’s all too do with whether I fee they are correct and Blind comments are definitely right for me.

Sure if Gary Neville or Roy Keane turned around and said Ole isn’t good enough and should be sacked does it count as both failed at managing

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Haha, mate, when I talk about clubs whose boards have managed to implement a functional football system I’m not talking about City, Liverpool or Chelsea - though they have.

I’m talking about fecking Brighton’s board, or Southampton’s mate! Clubs who have boards that, if they had the resources of Utd’s it’d be incredible what they could achieve.

Conversely, to imagine what this Utd board would look like without their humongous financial advantage is a very different kettle of fish.

Last edited:

jamesjimmybyrondean

I don't think a manager of Ole’s CV or a style of play similar in quality to ours has ever won the league in the past decade.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I don't think a manager of Ole’s CV or a style of play similar in quality to ours has ever won the league in the past decade.
Roberto Di Matteo won the champions league and Claudio Ranieri won the premier league within the last decade or thereabouts and neither of them is any better than Solskjær. Of course you don't plan for the exception but its not like it never happened.

LJJT

I mean it's not as if this narrative appeared overnight. In his early tenure he's had the excuse of needing more time and players to get it right. Now three years has passed and he has a squad consisting of world class players and we still look like a side of no side of play, a lack of consistency and no trophies to boot. So I think its the realisation that Ole has taken this club as far as he can, and the job now is beyond his abilities and competency.
It’s started this season after we got Ronaldo and had the poor run in the last few games. I know fans have mentioned it but not the media hype we getting now. There’s a lot of envy I think from the former pro’s now pundits towards Ole. Understandable he got lucky getting the job but he’s done a good job and needs a bit longer than 7 games this season before we can decide he’s clueless.

United in sin

Roberto Di Matteo won the champions league and Claudio Ranieri won the premier league within the last decade or thereabouts and neither of them is any better than Solskjær. Of course you don't plan for the exception but its not like it never happened.
Ranieri has many accomplishments in the game that Solskjaer has yet to achieve. He's the better manager of the two

mu4c_20le

Haha, mate, when I talk about clubs whose boards have managed to implement a functional football system I’m not talking about City, Liverpool or Chelsea - though they have.

I’m talking about fecking Brighton’s board, or Southampton’s mate! Clubs who have boards that, if they had the resources of Utd’s it’d be incredible what they could achieve.

Conversely, to imagine what this Utd board what look like without they’re humongous financial advantage is a very different kettle of fish.
This is fantasy talk though. What did Southampton do with the Mane and VVD money? They should be cracking top6 by now according to that logic. It's like saying David Moyes did a solid job with Everton on a limited budget, imagine what he could do with Utd's resources.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Ranieri has many accomplishments in the game that Solskjaer has yet to achieve. He's the better manager of the two
He's old as dirt and hopped onto every job he found on ziprecruiter. That's his biggest accomplishment apart from winning the premier league with Leicester City.

Rhyme Animal

This is fantasy talk though. What did Southampton do with the Mane and VVD money? They should be cracking top6 by now according to that logic. It's like saying David Moyes did a solid job with Everton on a limited budget, imagine what he could do with Utd's resources.
Do you think Brighton and Southampton’s boards have done a good or bad job, overall?

432JuanMata

Yeah the difference is Ranieri(who is miles better than Ole) took over Leicester who were bottom half and it wasn’t a expectation. Then Di Matteo was a great run but he was only a stop gap and then was still sacked.

Our Club seems to view Ole as a person that can challenge on a consistent basis which is a big risk.

the_cliff

Di Matteo also won the FA cup and got WBA promoted. Ranieri has been managing since 1986 and has won trophies in Italy, Spain and England please don't even mention the two in the same sentence.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Do you think Brighton and Southampton’s boards have done a good or bad job, overall?
Managing a Southampton is very different from managing Utd. I rate Potter (Hassenhuttl) not so much, but to say that Potter/Hassenhuttl will achieve x with Utd's resources is a stupid comparison. You can name Benitez at RM, Moyes at Utd, Kovac at Bayern, possibly Poch at PSG as prime examples why it's not just give a mid table manager 200m and he'd transform a top side.

Man management- liek it or not- is as important if not more important as being tactically astute at big clubs.

Rhyme Animal

Managing a Southampton is very different from managing Utd. I rate Potter (Hassenhuttl) not so much, but to say that Potter/Hassenhuttl will achieve x with Utd's resources is a stupid comparison. You can name Benitez at RM, Moyes at Utd, Kovac at Bayern, possibly Poch at PSG as prime examples why it's not just give a mid table manager 200m and he'd transform a top side.

Man management- liek it or not- is as important if not more important as being tactically astute at big clubs.
Read back.

We’re talking about the boards, not the managers.

But that said, both the managers you’ve named have done far better in the PL than Ole did when given similar resources.

Whether or not either of them could cut it at a behemoth like Man Utd I have no idea - but that isn’t and wasn’t the point.

Dve

Yeah, I can imagine you sitting in your sofa watching Liverpool losing, nodding to the screen, applauding their pattern of play. Any specific pattern of play you were impressed by, or just, well, their pattern of play in general?

432JuanMata

Yeah, I can imagine you sitting in your sofa watching Liverpool losing, nodding to the screen, applauding their pattern of play. Any specific pattern of play you were impressed by, or just, well, their pattern of play in general?
Yeah I was and from reading the caf at the time most agreed.
Liverpool under Klopp pressed as a unit and tried to control a game. They improved drastically in attacking patterns. They conceded 50+ a season during this period with giving the ball away in dangerous positions being a huge problem. They had Skrtel and Sakho at the back the 2 players protecting them was Can and Lucas. When Klopp sold Coutinho and had his front 3 of Salah, Mane and Firminho you could see the they played with all playing to a system in place.
This made Liverpool a top team but still the defensive errors where there. VVD and Allison then made them PL winners.
Look at the CL F they lost, it was Karius making errors so he was upgraded.

Ole has done the same upgrading positions that aren’t good enough. He has done a great job doing this but unlike Klopp he doesn’t that the style in place that takes advantage of our much better squad

ReallyUSA

Team is booty juice and he is the source. This individual brilliance shit only goes so far, and I think we saw it last year.

Revan

Assumptionman
And every appointment have been made with the blessings of the fans, so surely their opinions are not very impressive either. And you cannot compare the PL to the German league where Bayern are expected to win every year. No way any of the top teams in England would sack their manager with the results Ole has had so far.
Chelsea sacked managers for finishing only second, and City sacked Pellegrini (who had won a title with them), despite that he finished in UCL zone.

There is no way that Ole would have survived in any of his first three seasons in those two clubs. And by now, I think that Liverpool would have been bored too.

Let’s not even start talking about Real Madrid.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
In that Aftenposten interview he said "I like football manager. I am always Man Utd and I sign two top players every summer, and then I leave it to my assistant and the players, and go on holiday. Good players can always play together. Football is a simple game. And I always won the league."
he didn't

Status
Not open for further replies.