Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoTMS

Imagine being so bad at your job and having the job security Solskjaer, Carrick, McKenna and Phelan have.

redshaw

Ole knows the biggest mistake today was playing Maguire from that interview, we might scrape a draw or win without which still probably isn't good enough but again we're talking about Ole and his mistakes.

With the squad we have now, I said a while back I don't think Ole will get the time to recover like previous years. The profile of players will demand better and the club will have to make a change sooner than before. We're not the plucky Bruno driven side from a year or two ago on the come up, he has to deliver now, not a scrap for 4th-6th place.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Stop. Smiling. Ole. F**K. I hate that he has actually driven me to the point of getting annoyed by such minor shit.
If Villareal is anything to go by “turning the room blue” then he isn’t smiling in the dressing room

lilcurt

Time to go!

Bored of talking about it but the club is my passion. Kills me seeing us accept our predicament and as a club not demand more.

For the players at Ole's disposal performances and results are unacceptable.

First it was we don't have anyone out wide. The. It was we need a CB. Now all problems can be sold with a CDM.

Very few clubs in world football have the perfect squads without weakness. Yes we could be better in midfield but our biggest problem is the lack of tactics and coaching. Literally the worst coached team in the league.

Ole doesn't know how to fix it, he needs to go now!

Pearl.Jam

The saddest part is I’m actually starting to hate the guy and I don’t want to feel that way about him given his indelible mark on our history, he’s not going to resign and I doubt the Glazers are keen on getting rid of him either so we’re kinda stuck in limbo and it’s not a nice place to be.. this squad is so much better than what’s being served up and every one can see it but the people in charge, pretty grim really

el3mel

What credit exactly ?

The guy didn't exactly sign some hidden gems. He signed Maguire, Ronaldo, Varane, Cavani, Sancho..etc. All pretty well known players and for shit ton of money. Bruno wasn't an unknown player either. I swear people make it out as if Ole has been bringing on unexpected players or young talents whom he developed into top class.

Cloud7

He has their support because they know they cocked up giving him that new contract.
Yeah I think I'm just gonna sign off for the day after that. With multiple stories along these lines dropping at the same time, it reads like a briefing from the club. I thought that for once they would do the sensible thing, but it seems like that is asking too much. Really depressing. The only optimism I could muster was that it felt like Ole would be out the door soon. But evidently not.

hobbers

The saddest part is I’m actually starting to hate the guy and I don’t want to feel that way about him given his indelible mark on our history, he’s not going to resign and I doubt the Glazers are keen on getting rid of him either so we’re kinda stuck in limbo and it’s not a nice place to be.. this squad is so much better than what’s being served up and every one can see it but the people in charge, pretty grim really
It's all on Woodward and the dumbfeck United pundits in the media, who gave Woodward the open goal decision to give Ole the job and install the perfect patsy to lower expectations.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
nt.
Woodward will not countenance sacking him while he's still in charge.

There is zero chance of anything changing, he's not going to end his stewardship sacking Ole no matter how bad it gets.
Yeah, I'm of this view at the moment as well. If we go out of the Champions League in the group stage and continue to drop a significant amount of points up until Christmas, then MAYBE. But even then, I'm not sure. There appears to be something of a mass delusion going on around United at the moment. Their desire for him to succeed (similar to some fans) is over overriding their logic. It's like if they will it on strongly enough, it will happen. I mean, we all want him to succeed because we all support the club, but I'm not fecking blind either.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
It's all on Woodward and the dumbfeck United pundits in the media, who gave Woodward the open goal decision to give Ole the job and install the perfect patsy to lower expectations.
Expectations are not lowered though, I don't get this sentiment at all.

I don't think anyone in United are sitting there feeling top 4 is fine, we have brought in Bruno, Ronaldo, Cavani, all of whom are born winners, they don't go to a club who sell 'top four is fine'.

Fooza

The board are just not serious on winning trophies, it's a sad reality.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
What credit exactly ?

The guy didn't exactly sign some hidden gems. He signed Maguire, Ronaldo, Varane, Cavani, Sancho..etc. All pretty well known players and for shit ton of money. Bruno wasn't an unknown player either. I swear people make it out as if Ole has been bringing on unexpected players or young talents whom he developed into top class.
Getting top four presumably. Some of the work he's done improving the mood...

I dunno. I'm scraping the barrel here!

hobbers

Expectations are not lowered though, I don't get this sentiment at all.

I don't think anyone in United are sitting there feeling top 4 is fine, we have brought in Bruno, Ronaldo, Cavani, all of whom are born winners, they don't go to a club who sell 'top four is fine'.
The players don't think it's fine.

Ole does though. His coaches do. Murtough probably does. Woodward, Arnold and co do. The glazers do.

Whatever keeps the money flowing and them all in a job. That's what happens when you have owners of a business who dont care. It trickles down slowly but surely. Eventually, if given enough time, Ole would assemble a squad who would be proud to finish fourth every season as well. Think a team of Maguires and AWBs.

Seij

Why is it that nearly all of our players look better playing for their national teams with a bunch of players they don't train with every day?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
The players don't think it's fine.

Ole does though. His coaches do. Murtough probably does. Woodward, Arnold and co do. The glazers do.

Whatever keeps the money flowing and them all in a job. That's what happens when you have owners of a business who dont care. It trickles down slowly but surely. Eventually, if given enough time, Ole would assemble a squad who would be proud to finish fourth every season as well. Think a team of Maguires and AWBs.
Oh yeah, I'm sure Ole has gone into the season thinking he doesn't have to challenge for the title :houllier:
Absolutely madness to think Ole doesn't want to win the league, absolute madness to think out team don't want to win the league.

Robbie Boy

It finally feels different to me as well. I think he’s hanging on by his fingernails this time and I just don’t think we’ll get the results he needs.

I don’t agree with anyone who says another coach would have us winning the league with these players. They are good players but the quality is thin in CM which is a critical position.

There’s a multitude of arguments about what’s wrong and whose fault it is but the inescapable truth is we’re losing too often.
It certainly does feel different. I don't know, maybe having big personalities like Ronaldo and Varane - who are used to success - has put more pressure on him in the dressing room. The squad harmony always felt great under Ole, but the last while, I've honestly had lingering doubts if it's still as strong. The problem is, we had such an easy start to the season, that it was his chance to rack up points. He didn't do that, and it has put serious pressure on him, with a really tough run coming up. I can't feasibly see how we get to December, without his job hanging by a thread.

Tbf, I haven't seen too many say we should win the league. I would say a good 80% said we should mount a serious challenge. What that looked like to me, was still being in contention come May. We have areas of weakness, but Ole has to take blame for that too, considering how long he's been here, and what he's spent. He is also totally reluctant to try something different, when it's clear that 'this' isn't working.

Of course, there are debates to be had about other issues at the club, but right now, Ole has a-lot to answer for. Our performances have been so underwhelming this season, and we're yet to play any heavy hitters. I fear it's going to get really, really bad quite soon. However, I can't completely rule out him putting some unlikely results together. Though this time, I just really doubt he can pull it off.

MartinRed

Maybe if he got a proper tactician like Meulensteen or Kairos maybe he will have a chance but as things stands now I don't see him last more than 10 games if he doesn't pull something special up his sleeve.

OrcaFat

It certainly does feel different. I don't know, maybe having big personalities like Ronaldo and Varane - who are used to success - has put more pressure on him in the dressing room. The squad harmony always felt great under Ole, but the last while, I've honestly had lingering doubts if it's still as strong. The problem is, we had such an easy start to the season, that it was his chance to rack up points. He didn't do that, and it has put serious pressure on him, with a really tough run coming up. I can't feasibly see how we get to December, without his job hanging by a thread.

Tbf, I haven't seen too many say we should win the league. I would say a good 80% said we should mount a serious challenge. What that looked like to me, was still being in contention come May. We have areas of weakness, but Ole has to take blame for that too, considering how long he's been here, and what he's spent. He is also totally reluctant to try something different, when it's clear that 'this' isn't working.

Of course, there are debates to be had about other issues at the club, but right now, Ole has a-lot to answer for. Our performances have been so underwhelming this season, and we're yet to play any heavy hitters. I fear it's going to get really, really bad quite soon. However, I can't completely rule out him putting some unlikely results together. Though this time, I just really doubt he can pull it off.
Yeah. Fascinating few weeks (of mainly agony) coming up.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
You can see why Chelsea continue to win things despite having many low periods in the last decade while we can't win jack.
Our board have no concept of glory. Everything is governed by numbers.

hobbers

Oh yeah, I'm sure Ole has gone into the season thinking he doesn't have to challenge for the title :houllier:
Absolutely madness to think Ole doesn't want to win the league, absolute madness to think out team don't want to win the league.
Going over your head this concept.

I don't care about what Ole "wants". Of course he wants to win titles. I'm sure he would like to be at the pinnacle of his profession, like we all do. The board, Woodward and the Glazers wouldn't mind us winning titles either.

The point is, from Glazers and the board's perspective, the club does not NEED to win titles to keep the money flowing. And Ole and the coaching/technical staff evidently do not NEED to win titles to keep their jobs. And that lack of ambition and accountability has direct consequences that we are seeing translated onto the pitch every fecking week.

We are literally watching Arsenal mark 2 play out right in front of our eyes here. How many Arsenal players expect to, or even think about, winning the league title now do you reckon?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Haha. Not surprised — this is the same club that let old man Van Gaal and the most bitter prick in football outstay their welcome. Club legend like Ole will go 0/15 next 5 games and still stay

el3mel

How come though that Brentford can play good attacking football without having top class midfielders ? Some here convinced me the reason we're shit is because we're playing Fred and Scott in midfield. We need prime Xavi and Iniesta in our midfield to start playing like Brentford apparently.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Imagine being so bad at your job and having the job security Solskjaer, Carrick, McKenna and Phelan have.
Because we have clueless board and incompetent executive

KingCavani

No one is saying he doesn't want to. Stupid comment. Almost childish.

He said that Ole doesn't expect and knows that he doesn't need to win the league to stay in the job. Which is evidently true.

There is no ambition in the club beyond making money. Woodward remaining in a job when being objectively terrible at the footballing side of things, after years of miserable failures and overseeing an unbelievable decline - It reflects what the priorities are and it's not winning.

stw2022

If Villareal is anything to go by “turning the room blue” then he isn’t smiling in the dressing room

Don’t believe this for a second. Leaking to media how tough and brutal he is at half time reeks of pathetic spin.

It’s David Brent like

“I gave them what for in the dressing room believe me I…. you couldn’t hear could you? No? Good. But yeah you should have heard me. Shaking they were. Effing and Jeffing I was. You should have seen me “

Last edited:

Robbie Boy

Yeah. Fascinating few weeks (of mainly agony) coming up.
Right up until the end of November it's tricky, barring Watford away on 20 November. I feel a-bit sick about what may happen to us over the next 2 months, to be completely honest. A defeat to Liverpool at OT next Sunday would be rock bottom for him, but I honestly don't see him being sacked. It'll make for an uncomfortable couple of months, and I can't see it getting better. With Chelsea winning, we're already 5 points off top after 8 games, which is pretty grimm reading.

It's not beyond the realms of reality that he somehow pulls off some wins over the next month, but it's not looking likely. He has done it before though, so you still have to give it that outside chance. Even if he does, he just feels like we've done this dance too many times at this point. Luckily I actually missed today's game!

lilcurt

Just watching the post match press conference. He is so basic in his analysis. Talking about not winning the 50/50s and earning the right to win.

Sunday league manager.

Fridge chutney

I love Ole but it I think it is time for him to move on. We are being outcoached and out-managed. We should be seeing progress but we are going backwards this season.

OrcaFat

Just watching the post match press conference. He is so basic in his analysis. Talking about not winning the 50/50s and earning the right to win.

Sunday league manager.
I thought he spoke well under the circumstances. He was absolutely right. We didn’t do the basics. Football isn’t really very complicated, most of the time. For whatever reason, he picked a team that wasn’t balanced but he was right to expect a lot more from the players he put out.

Seij

Because we have clueless board and incompetent executive
Are we surprised? We renewed Mata AGAIN this summer for 160k/w and his only playing time this season has been 62 minutes in the Carabao cup. We renewed 38-year old Grant for 30k/w to be a fourth choice GK and people were rejoicing. We gave Matic a 3 year contract last season. Apparently, we're now trying hard to renew Lingard's.

Waiting for a new Phil Jones contract.

izec

He only needs top 4 to survive. So he wont be sacked until April/May. We will be miles away from a title challenge, but top 4/CL is the only criteria this club applies to managers. Once that is in serious danger, he will be sacked.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Makes you wonder if the ones who run the club want the fan pressure to build, so he either resigns or they look the good guys when they sack him. Just turned Talksport on for a couple of minutes while making a cup of coffee. The two United fans I listened to want him out. The second one was going in hard on the ones who run the club and how pathetic the coaching at the club is.

Someone on the show also said if you buy Ronaldo you build the team to suit him or you might as well not play him.

Status
Not open for further replies.