Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
United way and DNA can only get you so far. These fans consist of mostly adults. Unless if they're all Ty they can see what's going on. A man who's done a good job stabilizing the club and filling it with talented players but not the one who will ever win anything with them.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
What :lol: Emery is quite clearly a better manager than Ole and has always been. Ole getting outsmarted by Emery is not an embarrassment to Ole, it's natural and was expected.
Yes! but he was also a meme manager and I expected Ole to win that fecking thing considering the players he had at his disposal. We didn't need 200 IQ tactics but we went into that game as a group of cowards! it's bang out of order. Still so angry whenever I think about it.

red4ever 79

I dont know about cultural reboot, thats just a buzzword imo, but there is no doubt the club is less toxic now than it was under Jose. The rebuild though i think hes done very well

• AWB: I know opinions on him are split, but as far as RB signings go, hes the best we have done in a LONG time. Valencia, Dalot and that awful Italian bloke are nowhere near AWB when it comes to defensive skills and honestly i think AWB looks much better in attack this season and considering how young he still is i dont see why he cant improve further
  • Maguire: Yes, yesterday was a stonewall 1/10 from him, but he showed last year and at the Euros how good he can be.
  • Varane: Best CB siging we made since Vidic
  • James: Decent squad player, which we even earned some money for
  • Diallo/Pellestri: Way to early to say, but could turn into great players one day
  • Fernandes: Best #10 in the league
  • Cavani/Ronaldo: They are just stop-gaps, but having those two in the dressing room is going to mean a lot to the youngsters like Greenwood, Hannibal and Lindgard
  • VdB: Either a bad fit or just a bad player. 100% a bad signing though
  • Sancho: I am confident that once hes had time to settle and adjust hes going to be great
  • Telles: Hes been underwhelming, but simply as a back up hes been ok
To be clear, i think Ole needs to go too, but lets not rewrite history here. The squad is undoubtedly MUCH stronger than the one he inherited and even though hes spent a lot of money, so did Jose and LvG and neither of those managed to strengthen us significantly
Highlighted 4 there who are either not here now, or not being given a chance. What kind of good recruitment was that?

AneRu

He won't be turning it around, results have finally caught up with the performances we have been seeing year after year now. Our fixture list is cruel and it's seriously hard to see us winning more than 1 game out of the next 6 which would definitely be the end for any manager at any club in the world aiming to win trophies. Unfortunately Ole has fooled some of our hardcore fans and I feel he did the same to our board. Our stupid believes of "give anyone 5 years and he will turn into SAF" is holding this club back massively right now and that's unfortunate because we really have a good squad which is being terribly mis-managed.
I don't think the board are that fooled but they will put face saving and penny pinching above the common good of the club and let the malaise tear the club apart before they do anything about it. If results don't start coming we will start to witness the Mourinho era divisions emerging soon.

With a proper board Ole wouldn't have survived the first half of the 2019-20 season and with that in mind he would have been gone or at the very least told to bring in a trophy before being considered for a contract extension. Now we have tied ourselves to another multimillion contract payout and the board will procrastinate and in the process drag the club through the messy divorce with a club legend.

I do wonder if, for Ole, the millions he stands to gain by waiting for the sack will be worth what awaits him over the coming few months.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Compared to his predecessors, hes done really well imo

LvG

Inn
: Di Maria, Shaw, Herrera, Blind, Rojo, Falcao, Marital, Schweinsteiger, Depay, Schneiderlin, Darmian
Out: Welbeck, Kagawa, Di Maria, Buttner, Zaha, Hernandez, Evra, Anderson, Nani, Evans, RvP, Rafael
Net: 205 million

Shaw and Herrera were good signings, the rest is a mixed bag to put it mildly, but his biggest crime was completely gutting the remains of Fergies teams and selling them for peanuts

Jose
:
Inn: Pogba, Miki, Zlatan, Baily, Lukaku, Matic, Lindlelof, Sanchez, Fred, Dalot
Out: Schenderlin, Depay, Miki, Blind
Net: 341 million

Joses big crime was bloating the squad and driving the wage bill thorugh the ceiling, while spending a small fortune. It was short sighted and incredibly damaging for the club

Not saying Ole has been perfect in this regard. If he left today, hes going to leave his succesor very light in CM, but in all other areas we have both loads of quality and loads of depth
Agreed especially with the bolded.

Steve 007

Really gutted to say this but goodbye Ole. I still hope he proves us all wrong but the time is nearly up.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
It’s painfully obvious that he is just trying to shoehorn people into the starting eleven, and hope individual quality can bail us out.

We can’t waste a year on hoping it works.
He needs to go.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Two wins from 7, - one of those required a last-minute penalty save, the other, an injury time winner. That is a worrying pattern to say the least.

Maybe change a few words next time?

red4ever 79

It’s painfully obvious that he is just trying to shoehorn people into the starting eleven, and hope individual quality can bail us out.

We can’t waste a year on hoping it works.
He needs to go.
That and picking his favourites. He is making the same mistakes as last season. He said on Friday we lost the Europa final because we were tired. That's because he played the same 13 or 14 players 3 times a week last season. What did he do yesterday, he rushes an unfit Maguire back into the team, and it costs us. What must Bailly be thinking. His man - management of the squad of players is abysmal.
Bring Scott on yesterday when we are 2-1 down.

Devil81

His first defeat? When we had to play a depleted team?

Nah, it was the Europa final for me. He absolutely bottled it.
Sevilla the year before for me, just refused to go for a plan B and change it up.

Ighalo wasn't great but given 15 minutes his size alone could have unsettled their defence.

If I could see and make logic of that then why couldn't a man earning millions see it?

reelworld

A competent manager would make this team work. Yes, even with that midfield.

The thing about giving freedom to your players on the pitch is that, the average players got found out and they are more prone to mistakes than the good ones.
What's good about the managers who preach patterns of play is it would masked the average players weakness as they don't have to think much for themselves. They could just rely on habits born from great coaching.

That's why I don't believe buying a DM would solve the issues we face right now

IncyWincySpider

The saddest thing is that he will leave with no trophies and will go down in the history books as worse than Jose, LVG and even Moyes who at least got a Charity Shield. If only he had won the EL last summer, such a bitter disappointment.

spiriticon

EL final against Villarreal. Any other top manager would die to win their first trophy at their new club. Instead, the performance was all cowardly and we were relying on penalty shootout against a team inferior than us, which we ultimately lost anyway. Emery was known to be an average manager when he was at Arsenal so for Ole to get outsmarted in a final that matters for both of them was embarrassing. At that point I knew he can't be much better than Emery, he might be even worse.
The EL final for me was a big turning point as well. For a guy on the verge of his first major trophy, he really did not seem that bothered about winning it. Bottled every in game decision, so much so that he did feck all with subs until the last minute. Joke.

And yet, my heart still gave him one more chance after a decent transfer window. Now though, I'm really tired of seeing his teams play. Lethargic, slow, insipid. No doubt he'll go on a run of a few wins later this season as he does, but it will be too late and we'll be well out of the title race by then. Joke.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Highlighted 4 there who are either not here now, or not being given a chance. What kind of good recruitment was that?
So you ignore all the others? Thats pretty convinient

Out of those 4, only VdB is a bad signing. Pellestri is on loan and doing quite well and James was a low risk punt that even turned a profit

Considering we bought Sancho we really should have extended Diallos loan spell, but i see no reason why we cant arrange a new loan deal for him in January

Sviken

I don't think the board are that fooled but they will put face saving and penny pinching above the common good of the club and let the malaise tear the club apart before they do anything about it. If results don't start coming we will start to witness the Mourinho era divisions emerging soon.

With a proper board Ole wouldn't have survived the first half of the 2019-20 season and with that in mind he would have been gone or at the very least told to bring in a trophy before being considered for a contract extension. Now we have tied ourselves to another multimillion contract payout and the board will procrastinate and in the process drag the club through the messy divorce with a club legend.

I do wonder if, for Ole, the millions he stands to gain by waiting for the sack will be worth what awaits him over the coming few months.
With a proper board Ole wouldn't have even been appointed as a permanent manager and that's the sad part. Disaster after disaster. We're probably the worst run club in the world.

Amir

When did you guys realise Ole wasn't the right guy? For me it was Arsenal away 2019
Never wanted him to get the full appointment in the first place.

I was OK with the original plan - sack Mourinho, have Solskjaer as interim, appoint a DOF and let him decide. But then Solskjaer got a few good results and the plans changed. If a DOF came in, looked at Solskjaer's work and kept him it would have been fine. But without one, the only people we had to judge his work were the same superficial people who appointed the previous managers.

CM

The performances have been shite in the last few weeks but the most striking thing is even the fundamentals like being a hardworking team have gone out the window.

Quite surprising given Ole made a point of this for such a long time during the rebuild phase, only to neglect it completely when he's got better tools to do the job. There are no redeeming qualities at the moment, and any principles he might've had have been dashed to facilitate big name players.

Ddannidom

It is not possible that with the quality of players at our disposal we are struggling to control a game involving a half decent team.

Except that the manger is clueless and can't manage this team full stop.

Roboc7

I dont know about cultural reboot, thats just a buzzword imo, but there is no doubt the club is less toxic now than it was under Jose. The rebuild though i think hes done very well

• AWB: I know opinions on him are split, but as far as RB signings go, hes the best we have done in a LONG time. Valencia, Dalot and that awful Italian bloke are nowhere near AWB when it comes to defensive skills and honestly i think AWB looks much better in attack this season and considering how young he still is i dont see why he cant improve further
  • Maguire: Yes, yesterday was a stonewall 1/10 from him, but he showed last year and at the Euros how good he can be.
  • Varane: Best CB siging we made since Vidic
  • James: Decent squad player, which we even earned some money for
  • Diallo/Pellestri: Way to early to say, but could turn into great players one day
  • Fernandes: Best #10 in the league
  • Cavani/Ronaldo: They are just stop-gaps, but having those two in the dressing room is going to mean a lot to the youngsters like Greenwood, Hannibal and Lindgard
  • VdB: Either a bad fit or just a bad player. 100% a bad signing though
  • Sancho: I am confident that once hes had time to settle and adjust hes going to be great
  • Telles: Hes been underwhelming, but simply as a back up hes been ok
To be clear, i think Ole needs to go too, but lets not rewrite history here. The squad is undoubtedly MUCH stronger than the one he inherited and even though hes spent a lot of money, so did Jose and LvG and neither of those managed to strengthen us significantly
It was less toxic as soon as Jose left, that was just a given. It’s not been a good rebuild because there’s no structure or game plan and the players don’t fit together.

We have no idea who the next manager will want to keep or sell, and if Ole doesn’t even know what to do with the players then it’s a big fail. This idea one manger can be building for another is a fallacy and totally flawed.

Will the next manager want a right back that can’t attack or a CB that can’t play a high line?. The next manager will start all over again and a lot of the players bought for the rebuild will be the next managers deadwood.

AneRu

With a proper board Ole wouldn't have even been appointed as a permanent manager and that's the sad part. Disaster after disaster. We're probably the worst run club in the world.
Right on, I doubt even the most incompetent board in football bar this walking disaster of the Glazer siblings, would have been duped by a 10 game run and handed over the future of a behemoth like this to an unproven manager like Ole. Disaster after disaster.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I remember Ole talking about him wanting us to be the highest pressing team in the league, playing attacking football and having a fluid front 3. I mean the fact that we've not seen th team implement any of the ideas he's stated he wants us to have shows he's not good enough

Bobcat

It was less toxic as soon as Jose left, that was just a given. It’s not been a good rebuild because there’s no structure or game plan and the players don’t fit together.

We have no idea who the next manager will want to keep or sell, and if Ole doesn’t even know what to do with the players then it’s a big fail. This idea one manger can be building for another is a fallacy and totally flawed.

Will the next manager want a right back that can’t attack or a CB that can’t play a high line?. The next manager will start all over again and a lot of the players bought for the rebuild will be the next managers deadwood.
Good players are good players, regardless of who is managing them. This idea that Maguire cant play in a high line is nonsense imo. Hes one of the best aerial players in the league and 95% of CB's in the world are going to lose if they end up in out and out footrace against a winger or striker

The only glaring issue that is left unadressed is CM, where we are one good DM away from being a top, top side. Other than that we got good options and good cover for every single position out there

So yes, i firmly belive whoever succeds Ole is going to have a great squad to work with

If its the case that the players really just are all a bunch of pretenders and misfits, then can we really blame Ole for our woes?

Devil’s Trident

He won’t be sacked anytime soon. Why would he be ? There is no concept of meritocracy in this club. From CEO to the board to DOF to the manager to selecting captain to renewing contracts of players.
Everyone learns on their job here from Woodward to Arnold to Fletcher to ole to carrick and McKenna. No one is accountable at this club because they are all cut from the same cloth.

We are famous for one thing, keeping dross for as long as possible whether it’s the CEO or the manager or players till they transform serial winners and great players into dross also. Watch people question Ronaldo and Varane whether they are all that in 6 months time.

R'hllor

When you see in almost every post match thread posts about how 3pts are most important, win is a win and similar bullshit after yet again poor performance, this is what you get in a long run, performances catching up and results drop off leaving you with feck all. Then deluded sheep having a go at you for pointing certain issues.

AneRu

When you see in almost every post match thread posts about how 3pts are most important, win is a win and similar bullshit after yet again poor performance, this is what you get in a long run, performances catching up and results drop off leaving you with feck all. Then deluded sheep having a go at you for pointing certain issues.
The gloating by the delusional clique was the most nauseating and in two or three days they will be back particularly if we scrap a win against Atalanta. They are result centric but they overlook the fact that performances build up consistency and consistency wins you titles, you don't fluke your way to major titles without the basics like passing, pressing, hardwork or technique being buttressed by tactics.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The EL final for me was a big turning point as well. For a guy on the verge of his first major trophy, he really did not seem that bothered about winning it. Bottled every in game decision, so much so that he did feck all with subs until the last minute. Joke.

And yet, my heart still gave him one more chance after a decent transfer window. Now though, I'm really tired of seeing his teams play. Lethargic, slow, insipid. No doubt he'll go on a run of a few wins later this season as he does, but it will be too late and we'll be well out of the title race by then. Joke.
Maybe if he won the EL he new people would be expecting even more. He is gutless.

Roboc7

Good players are good players, regardless of who is managing them. This idea that Maguire cant play in a high line is nonsense imo. Hes one of the best aerial players in the league and 95% of CB's in the world are going to lose if they end up in out and out footrace against a winger or striker

The only glaring issue that is left unadressed is CM, where we are one good DM away from being a top, top side. Other than that we got good options and good cover for every single position out there

So yes, i firmly belive whoever succeds Ole is going to have a great squad to work with

If its the case that the players really just are all a bunch of pretenders and misfits, then can we really blame Ole for our woes?
Good players are good players is just total nonsense, one mangers rebuild is another’s clear out that’s just common sense. The idea someone is going to pick up where Ole has left off is pretty laughable. Ole has failed, he’s not building for a manager that we haven’t appointed, have no idea who they will be or how they will play etc.

Why would we not be blaming Ole, he put this team together, has no plan, no idea how to make the players fit together. He’ll leave behind a mess, guarantee his replacement won’t just want a CM.

Maybe Maguire could play in a high line, maybe he couldn't, but the next manager didn’t buy him and might want someone else. Changing a manager will be good/bad for different players, DVB is deadwood for Ole but might be a starter for another manager, who knows.

NoMidfielders

Right on, I doubt even the most incompetent board in football bar this walking disaster of the Glazer siblings, would have been duped by a 10 game run and handed over the future of a behemoth like this to an unproven manager like Ole. Disaster after disaster.
The worst part of that decision is they could have easily waited til the end of the season as he was never gonna go anywhere else given the choice. Had they done so, I’m fairly certain he wouldn’t have got the job.

Bobcat

Good players are good players is just total nonsense, one mangers rebuild is another’s clear out that’s just common sense. The idea someone is going to pick up where Ole has left off is pretty laughable. Ole has failed, he’s not building for a manager that we haven’t appointed, have no idea who they will be or how they will play etc.

Why would we not be blaming Ole, he put this team together, has no plan, no idea how to make the players fit together. He’ll leave behind a mess, guarantee his replacement won’t just want a CM.

Maybe Maguire could play in a high line, maybe he couldn't, but the next manager didn’t buy him and might want someone else. Changing a manager will be good/bad for different players, DVB is deadwood for Ole but might be a starter for another manager, who knows.
Come on. Are you suggesting players like Maguire, Varane, Bruno, Sancho and Ronaldo are going to be completely useless if there is another man sat in the dugout? Of course different managers prefer players with different skillsets, but its not like its going to be a pack of bulldogs trying to herd sheep

If we had swapped Van Dijk for Lindelof its not like the former suddenly was going to turn to shit just because he was no longer playing under Klopp. Ronaldo is still going to be a world class poacher and Pogba and Bruno is still going to have amazing vision and passing ability after Ole leaves

At the start of the season, 95% of this forum was expecting a league challenge. As it seems Ole is not up to the task, but that does not mean the players are suddenly bad

Its been repeated on here ad nauseum, but good managers make do with what they got and manage to create a team that is greater than the sum of its parts. Ole has seemingly failed in that regard, but unless you get some extreme philosophy idealist like Pep you dont need to tailor suit the squad to the managers needs

AneRu

The worst part of that decision is they could have easily waited til the end of the season as he was never gonna go anywhere else given the choice. Had they done so, I’m fairly certain he wouldn’t have got the job.
Woodward pretty much made sure we avoided any sort of planning because if I remember correctly the DOF was supposed to precede the manager. I still maintain that jumping the gun was a political move to render the DOF appointment unnecessary and make the role unattractive to candidates - I mean who comes in to a job where the bigesst decision to influence the direction of the club has already been made and that manager is a popular legend who is pretty much untouchable.

I think Woodward and his bosses are the biggest issue. We might get temporary reprieve if we fire OGS but what guarantee to we have that they won't make another stupid and brainless move like appointing Southgate? They are obsessed with narratives, sentimentality and going for the obvious that you can pretty much guarantee that they won't full heartedly try for Ten Hagen or Rose but will 100% go for the easy guy. God forbid if Southgate flukes a World Cup win.

Roboc7

Come on. Are you suggesting players like Maguire, Varane, Bruno, Sancho and Ronaldo are going to be completely useless if there is another man sat in the dugout? Of course different managers prefer players with different skillsets, but its not like its going to be a pack of bulldogs trying to herd sheep

If we had swapped Van Dijk for Lindelof its not like the former suddenly was going to turn to shit just because he was no longer playing under Klopp. Ronaldo is still going to be a world class poacher and Pogba and Bruno is still going to have amazing vision and passing ability after Ole leaves

At the start of the season, 95% of this forum was expecting a league challenge. As it seems Ole is not up to the task, but that does not mean the players are suddenly bad

Its been repeated on here ad nauseum, but good managers make do with what they got and manage to create a team that is greater than the sum of its parts. Ole has seemingly failed in that regard, but unless you get some extreme philosophy idealist like Pep you dont need to tailor suit the squad to the managers needs
Likes of Varane and Ronaldo will be fine but they’ll be changes, anyone who thinks next manager is carrying on where Ole left off is in a dreamworld. Everyone has different opinions and a good player isn’t necessarily the right player.

If Ole gets the sack then his rebuild has failed, can’t be dressed up any other way.

Reddevildans

The catastrophic lost of shape without the ball and lack of discipline we've seen in the past 2 months shows this set up, formation and manager isnt good enough. Conceding straight after our second goal is criminal. Players going for personal glory and not looking for better options has been viral in our team this season. World class players kicking the ball straight out of play.

Unfortunately the glazers and the board won't sack ole until top 4 is unachievable. Pathetic that another season goes by after spending shitloads and we achieve less than those who hardly spent around us.

Really don't want to hear our managers not backed financially. We have spent a hell of a lot under 4 managers now. Yes they are leaches. But the main mistake they have made is not put football people in charge for the direction of he club.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Likes of Varane and Ronaldo will be fine but they’ll be changes, anyone who thinks next manager is carrying on where Ole left off is in a dreamworld. Everyone has different opinions and a good player isn’t necessarily the right player.

If Ole gets the sack then his rebuild has failed, can’t be dressed up any other way.
We have a lot of good players but not a good team. Ole is just trying to squeeze everybody in without thinking about if it works or not. A great manager would have stood his ground and demanded players to fit the system he wanted to play, not buy players who are great for clicks on social media.

Status
Not open for further replies.