Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revan

Assumptionman
I see that as them setting the scene for his eventual sacking. This stuff about protecting him and backing him is just the club making it look like they were entirely fair with him. The things Romano said is actually pretty damning really.

They expect a turn around in both games vs Atalanta, good results over the next few weeks and also think we're good enough to win the league. The club know full well that Ole won't even pass the first couple of hurdles. Plus tactical and technical improvement shown in the team immediately.

Hell, we might actually be acting like Manchester United again finally with those expectations.
Yeah, but why do that and waste another season? If they sack him now, most of fans will be happy. The point of no return has already been passed, so with every day of him as manager, the chances of getting something from this season get lower.

LJJT

After another wounding weekend I am looking to the positives. It’s looking unlikely but if Ole can turn this round he’s a better manager than anyone can give credit for. Sadly I do feel it’s unlikely at this point, but not beyond comprehension. After all, if we beat the scousers Sunday we will only be 1 point behind them.

laughtersassassin

Tbf it would be a pretty good achievement two trophies and top 4, after not winning anything for 4 years.
No it would be shite. We can't go into the Europa League and keep Ole another second.

The new manager can get the benefit of trying to win it

If we go into the Europa League why should Ole get a chance to continue?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I agree. But if the club really are going to double down on Ole until at least the end of the season, then who knows. Like I said in another thread the other day, this would be the greatest squad of players to ever grace the EL. We should win it at a canter, so I wouldn't see it as why sort of achievement for Ole.
Could you imagine the reaction if we did land in the EL and didn't win it with this squad. That would be some achievement as well.

laughtersassassin

You know your shit and have no faith in a manager when you are talking about winning the Europa League when you have a Super team in the easiest Champions League group you could ask for.

That says it all.

redshaw

I don't agree with Gary saying it's gone wrong with two world class managers. LVG was due to retire and not world class anymore. Jose we took a gamble on a damaged man after the Chelsea debacle and got burned. Levy did the same and he's now found his way to Roma, he's ok but not top level anymore. He'll need a lot of time to work his way up before a current top club would hire him.

So yes we've not hired a normal top manger yet. Which is probably criminal if you're Manchester United trying to carry on from Sir Alex.

Citing LVG and Jose as reasons to keep Ole is insane really. Tuchel went begging and we've not been in the running to hire any current top coach post Fergie, it's time we fecking well started.

Last edited:

Deery

Dreary
We'd be unbelievable favourites for the EL with this team. Christ. Top 4 is a given with the players we have.

They're not achievements. We were expecting to maybe win the league this year.
I can tell you now we’re not winning CL or PL.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Why are they mentioning Europa League when we are (still) in the CL?
Are they so used to us being more often in the Europa than in the real competition? Can’t blame them tbh, but still weird,

spiriticon

I'd rather go out in the first knockout stage of the CL and have no European football then wait for Ole to bottle another Europa League final

Pride aside, one round in the knockout stages of the CL probably gives us more money than the entire Europa tournament

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I don't agree with Gary saying it's gone wrong with two world class managers. LVG was due to retire and not world class anymore. Jose we took a gamble on a damaged man after the Chelsea debacle and got burned. Levy did the same and he's now found his way to Roma, he's ok but not top level anymore. He'll need a lot of time to work his way up before a current top club would hire him.

So yes we've not hired a normal top manger yet.
Alternatively, we take world class managers and destroy their careers. Moyes, LVG, Mourinho was bad enough but I'll be hugely disheartened if (when?) Ole joins the pack.

Deery

Dreary
No it would be shite. We can't go into the Europa League and keep Ole another second.

The new manager can get the benefit of trying to win it

If we go into the Europa League why should Ole get a chance to continue?
It wouldn’t be great but it would give us something to celebrate at least.

I don’t know it Ole will be here after Christmas we have to see how results go.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Did he actually mention Europe fecking League or did I hear wrong ?
He's a proper wanker.I used to like him too. If it was any other manager he would be all over him. But not his darling friend Ole. Before we signed Ronaldo he said that if we got Kane we would win the league. We got Ronaldo who is arguably better and now he's talking about top 4 again. Hypocrite. Pathetic. Scholes Neville, no interest in what's good for United, just what is good for their group of mates from the past.

Deery

Dreary
Why are they mentioning Europa League when we are (still) in the CL?
Are they so used to us being more often in the Europa than in the real competition? Can’t blame them tbh, but still weird,
It’s just a hypothetical we still going to go as far as we can in CL.

MUFC OK

How many times do we have to indirectly be told to lower expectations season in/out by the likes of Neville and co.? As fans we have every right to say no at this stage.

Let's be real, if Ole were sacked after losing to Liverpool there would be some disgruntlings in the media but if we hire a proven coach that gets a tune out of this fine squad and keeps us in a titlerace that would be very very quickly forgotten.

tomaldinho1

Europa League....my goodness what is going on. We're in the easiest group and we'll go through.

MUFC OK

He's a proper wanker.I used to like him too. If it was any other manager he would be all over him. But not his darling friend Ole. Before we signed Ronaldo he said that if we got Kane we would win the league. We got Ronaldo who is arguably better and now he's talking about top 4 again. Hypocrite. Pathetic. Scholes Neville, no interest in what's good for United, just what is good for their group of mates from the past.
They're a big big problem for those who want to want to see us succeed most and that's us as fans. It's a masterstroke from the Glazers putting Ole in place - far too many 'die-hard's' will happily blindly follow what Neville, Scholes etc say and the Glazers are very aware of this. We cannot allow expectations to be lowered, again.

Funnily enough the Glazers actually did their bit this summer in delivering 3 top targets. Failure to maintain a title charge OR go out at the group stages should cost him his job, immediately.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
How many times do we have to indirectly be told to lower expectations season in/out by the likes of Neville and co.? As fans we have every right to say no at this stage.

Let's be real, if Ole were sacked after losing to Liverpool there would be some disgruntlings in the media but if we hire a proven coach that gets a tune out of this fine squad and keeps us in a titlerace that would be very very quickly forgotten.
:lol:

Wake up. We're in a race for 4th (due to the managerial gap).

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
After another wounding weekend I am looking to the positives. It’s looking unlikely but if Ole can turn this round he’s a better manager than anyone can give credit for. Sadly I do feel it’s unlikely at this point, but not beyond comprehension. After all, if we beat the scousers Sunday we will only be 1 point behind them.
Depends on what you mean by turning this around?

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Neville is an absolute joke. He’s just openly admitted that he won’t criticise Solskjaer because they are mates. As a pundit I thought you were supposed to say it as you see it?

MUFC OK

:lol:

Wake up. We're in a race for 4th (due to the managerial gap).
We are but we shouldn't be. He deserved to go after that disaster-class at the weekend but with the run we've got it's unlikely we change now. I honestly thing we'll be 12 pts off the pace by 1st December.

tomaldinho1

They're a big big problem for those who want to want to see us succeed most and that's us as fans. It's a masterstroke from the Glazers putting Ole in place - far too many 'die-hard's' will happily blindly follow what Neville, Scholes etc say and the Glazers are very aware of this. We cannot allow expectations to be lowered, again.

Funnily enough the Glazers actually did their bit this summer in delivering 3 top targets. Failure to maintain a title charge OR go out at the group stages should cost him his job, immediately.
If you're thinking very cynically, the moment United have a team that does well now, Neville kind of becomes irrelevant. The reason he is all over Sky these last 5-6 years is precisely because United have not been good, same reason AFTV got so big.

Castia

I hope Gaz made a mistake there...Europa League suggests we got out at the group stage again which would be a massive failure.

Feck the Europa League

MUFC OK

I hope Gaz made a mistake there...Europa League suggests we got out at the group stage again which would be a massive failure.

Feck the Europa League
It would be yet more embarrassment on the biggest stage. Losing to Sevilla, Villarreal, Istanbul, Young Boys etc, its becoming the norm. We cannot accept this.

Last edited:

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Just heard that it’s Ole’s best start to the season as a United manager? Is this true? I don’t know what to make of that.

LJJT

Depends on what you mean by turning this around?
Sorting through team shape out, getting consistent results and getting back in to a challenging position. It is possible over these next 10 games. Just doesn’t seem likely right now

MUFC OK

If you're thinking very cynically, the moment United have a team that does well now, Neville kind of becomes irrelevant. The reason he is all over Sky these last 5-6 years is precisely because United have not been good, same reason AFTV got so big.
He'd go massively overboard if we were to somehow strike the right formula with the right manager. Inevitably the pressure would mount and it would fall to sh*t.

It's mad to think we've never even been in position in a title race and bottled it in the latter stages of a season since SAF left. It happens with many successful teams, they go so close and regroup the next year and make the final step. We however went from bottling a EL semi to bottling a EL final instead :( :lol:

tomaldinho1

He'd go massively overboard if we were to somehow strike the right formula with the right manager. Inevitably the pressure would mount and it would fall to sh*t.

It's mad to think we've never even been in position in a title race and bottled it in the latter stages of a season since SAF left. It happens with many successful teams, they go so close and regroup the next year and make the final step. We however went from bottling a EL semi to bottling a EL final instead :( :lol:
It's mad but then it's not when you look at who we've hired.

MUFC OK

It's mad but then it's not when you look at who we've hired.
What I find incredible is we've had 4 managers who never known their best starting XI. We've had 8 years of chopping and changing of personnel both on the pitch and in the dugout.

That is by no means a reason to keep faith in a failing project now though, as certain ex-players would have you believe.

laughtersassassin

Just heard that it’s Ole’s best start to the season as a United manager? Is this true? I don’t know what to make of that.
It is.

But to caveat that

His other starts where also disgracefully bad.

And this in the other two years we played 2 and 3 of the big six respectively.

Compare that to our "simple" fixtures this season

tomaldinho1

What I find incredible is we've had 4 managers who never known their best starting XI. We've had 8 years of chopping and changing of personnel both on the pitch and in the dugout.

That is by no means a reason to keep faith in a failing project now though, as certain ex-players would have you believe.
It really is mind boggling, for all the chat about Glazers not spending we've almost been to generous with managers. They've never had to plan around developing players, we've been buying 2-4 top players pretty much every year and it's such an easy trap to fall into. I fully believe Ole had the best intentions coming into the job but look at our last couple of windows, the pressure mounts and you just find yourself going after ready made and expensive starters.

Hopefully Ole turns this around and this is a moot point (I doubt it) but next manager should come in, work with what we have and then in summer, if there's promise, you back them.

Status
Not open for further replies.