Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
We won, rituals in the half time helped, Pogba sub was good. Apart form avalanche of all the problems, concerns, worries, just happy Ole's happy too.

Can he built on it ? This is probably best moment in the season to start surf on positive wave, even though it's not even November.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
They were missing half their team to be fair
But again, supposedly the system was the important thing prior to the game.
Atalanta have 5 injured players and lost their best defender due to another injury during the break. They were still very close to get a result against us.
But they weren't, we battered them.

SNes

It felt like David Moyes night when we beat Olympiacos 3-0 overturning the shocking 2-0 loss.

el3mel

But again, supposedly the system was the important thing prior to the game.

But they weren't, we battered them.
We battered them in second half after they lost their best CB and were playing with like, what, 3 midfielders in defense ?

We were shit in first half.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Terrific win but i cannot help but think it is just delaying the inevitable. I cannot see us winning anything this year. Out of the league cup as well.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
That's the first Ole interview I've actually watched in a while and he comes across as though he's in complete denial about the situation. His situation even.

He said we played well in the first half, interviewer says the fans booed them off and he shuts him down and almost implied that it doesn't matter because "the singing section" didn't.

Then when told the players are obviously playing for him, which touches on him being questioned, he gets angry. He talks in clichés too, most of his answers are about the privilege of being at United etc.

Not that any of this matters, but just found it a strange interview.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
We battered them in second half after they lost their best CB and were playing with like, what, 3 midfielders in defense ?

We were shit in first half.
Don't just move the goal posts, you just said they were close to getting a result. Which they weren't.

I'm not denying we weren't good enough in the first half, but we also should have easily gone in level.

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
That's the first Ole interview I've actually watched in a while and he comes across as though he's in complete denial about the situation. His situation even.

He said we played well in the first half, interviewer says the fans booed them off and he shuts him down and almost implied that it doesn't matter because "the singing section" didn't.

Then when told the players are obviously playing for him, which touches on him being questioned, he gets angry. He talks in clichés too, most of his answers are about the privilege of being at United etc.

I kinda like that though, he wont acknowledge any negativity in the media. Of course he understands his situation, he's not an idiot but admitting anything publically is suicide.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

Who's going to come out after a 3 goal comeback and piss all over the performance?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I kinda like that though, he wont acknowledge any negativity in the media. Of course he understands his situation, he's not an idiot but admitting anything publically is suicide.
Why is it suicide? Everybody is already thinking and talking about it. We all see the 2-0 scoreline at half time and hear the booing.

I just found it strange.

el3mel

Don't just move the goal posts, you just said they were close to getting a result. Which they weren't.

I'm not denying we weren't good enough in the first half, but we also should have easily gone in level.
They were indeed. We scored the 3rd in 81th minute. They were 9 minutes away from at least getting a point. You are the one who has no point actually.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
At least be realistic. Fergie was often fuming even after a win.
Yeah, but very different situations. I know fergie famously at Aberdeen after the final berated his players, but I don't think you'll find any other manager doing that.

Even Pep when he loses says he loved the way his team plays.

I can see how it's odd and defensive, but it's probably got a lot to do with creating that siege mentality, in his own way.

@Caesar2290, yep as I said above though, very different situations.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
They were indeed. We scored the 3rd in 81th minute. They were 9 minutes away from at least getting a point. You are the one who has no point actually.
And we were just as close to winning 5-2, seeing as we're saying things that didn't happen.

el3mel

And we were just as close to winning 5-2, seeing as we're saying things that didn't happen.
You must be taking the piss surely. :lol: I said they were close to getting a result. They were indeed, as our winning goal came in the last 10 minutes. This is a fact.

Just admit you don't have a good response to that and move on.

passing-wind

Yeah, but very different situations. I know fergie famously at Aberdeen after the final berated his players, but I don't think you'll find any other manager doing that.

Even Pep when he loses says he loved the way his team plays.

I can see how it's odd and defensive, but it's probably got a lot to do with creating that siege mentality, in his own way.

@Caesar2290, yep as I said above though, very different situations.
It's different profile of individuals, Sir Alex clearly has the mindset of a born winner therefore is objective. Solskjaer seems like he's still finding himself in management. Not comparable in the slightest.

L1nk

He won’t ever leave by the way because the majority of fans are not only willing, but excited, to accept mediocrity on the basis of nepotism and blind romance

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors

That's PR 101 when hes in that kind of situation

Every public person (with sense) does that when they are under scrutiny. Blow it off and take the conversation elsewhere

Caesar2290

He called this a massive mistake. He let his emotions get the best of him because he wanted to batter Rangers.
Point being that top managers don't always have to be smiles. Ole could have at least said that we weren't good enough in the first half and that he would expect better from his players while praising the second half performance. It's not mutually exclussive.

justsomebloke

He's never been good at that, at best boring. But he also doesn't get into trouble.

passing-wind

He won’t ever leave by the way because the majority of fans are not only willing, but excited, to accept mediocrity on the basis of nepotism and blind romance
It's almost an embarrassment, such a strong celebration for a group stage win. But this is the standard the manager is competing at. The team is good enough quality wise to reach the semi's of European competition and that should warrant such a level of accomplishment for the manager.

justsomebloke

nepotism and blind romance eh, no less.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
You must be taking the piss surely. :lol: I said they were close to getting a result. They were indeed, as our winning goal came in the last 10 minutes. This is a fact.

Just admit you don't have a good response to that and move on.
It's just obvious you want to out a miserable slant on it, even though we outplayed them the whole game, even with the shit first half.

The Villarreal game would be fair to say that on, because they also outplayed us for most parts. By all the metrics we were the better team, so I don't see how it's a fact other than if we stopped the game when they were drawing they would have got a result?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
It's different profile of individuals, Sir Alex clearly has the mindset of a born winner therefore is objective. Solskjaer seems like he's still finding himself in management. Not comparable in the slightest.
I just don't think you'd get a lot of managers doing what SAF did, now. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can think of way more examples where top managers, they're positive in the face of a comeback, rather than dwelling on the poor part - publicly anyway.

el3mel

It's just obvious you want to out a miserable slant on it, even though we outplayed them the whole game, even with the shit first half.

The Villarreal game would be fair to say that on, because they also outplayed us for most parts. By all the metrics we were the better team, so I don't see how it's a fact other than if we stopped the game when they were drawing they would have got a result?
Cool mate. What you said doesn't change anything from the fact that we played a team who was missing 5-6 main players and they were 9 minutes away from getting a result. You can write ton of articles to try to move goal posts away from that or talk about missing chances (and they missed a great chance in 2nd half as well, BTW) , it doesn't change anything because what I said is true indeed. It's what happened.

Going on to mock people who said they have a system even though they still had a close game with us up till Demiral got injured is just taking the piss without any actual context. It reminds me of people mocking Nagelsmann after we defeated them 5-0. Just silly criticism aimed at such teams while throwing context out of the window.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks

He is definitely feeling the pressure. Don't envy him one bit, looks 10 years older from the time he got the job.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Who's going to come out after a 3 goal comeback and piss all over the performance?
We won a lot of games 3-2 or something during SAF's final season and he did say that we shouldn't be needing to score 3 goals every other time to win.

Chairman Steve

I don’t understand this logic some fans seemingly have of “We won tonight and therefore exonerate OGS of all wrongdoings and start a blank slate, regardless of bad form in the last few games, and if you criticize OGS then you’re an asshole”

We only won 2 of the last 6 games before tonight and none of them were the top teams, but winning this one means he’s all good again?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Cool mate. What you said doesn't change anything from the fact that we played a team who was missing 5-6 main players and they were 9 minutes away from getting a result. You can write ton of articles to try to move goal posts away from that or talk about missing chances (and they missed a great chance in 2nd half as well, BTW) , it doesn't change anything because what I said is true indeed. It's what happened.

Going on to mock people who said they have a system even though they still had a close game with us up till Demiral got injured is just taking the piss without any actual context. It reminds me of people mocking Nagelsmann after we defeated them 5-0. Just silly criticism aimed at such teams while throwing context out of the window.
I just think your viewing the whole game through the lens of negativity to be honest. Your fact of nearly getting a result can easily be easily rebutted with the fact that they didn't, because that's actually what happened. Think we're getting into semantics to be honest, so I respect your opinion and what you're trying to highlight, but disagree.

On the mocking bit, I take your point. I was being flippant, but I'm not trying to be without context - I know they're missing a lot of players, but was more referring to people in the match day thread pre-build up who knew all this and said it still didn't matter.

Eddy_JukeZ

We didn't learn anything about this game.

It was a great win and comeback, but we've seen plenty of those before and the performance was again disjointed.

We need a much better manager going forward.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
We won a lot of games 3-2 or something during SAF's final season and he did say that we shouldn't be needing to score 3 goals every other time to win.
Again, SAF can say that after lord knows how many trophies, not the same for every other manager in the world!

Status
Not open for further replies.