Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddevil1510

While I agree with what he says, I feel these may be a bit out of context with English not being his native language. Don't think Bruno would want to say this openly.

Sviken

Surprised this hasn't been posted in here -

Bruno Fernandes: "We have a lot to improve on and the coach [Solskjær] also knows there has to be some improvement at their end but that is part of football."

Bruno Fernandes on #mufc's comeback against Atalanta: "It was the team's will, the will to win, to work as a team, to work all for each other that brings these results." [
@TNTSportsBR via ESPN]

Fernandes: "We have to continue like this. Technically & tactically, it may not have been our best game. We made mistakes & we have to improve. Just because we've won is not right but at the same time, because we lost the other day, all was not bad." [@TNTSportsBR via ESPN]

Not a good look at all.
Ouch, that's Pogba and Bruno now calling the coaches out. And also, I'm sick of "improving". Can we become a good team already? How many years do we have to constantly "improve" to reach a certain big club standard?

The full quote:

"Of course, obviously, he is our coach. We follow him every day. We show that. We follow his ideas and we will continue to do so.

We believe in our coach and our staff. We need to do what the coach tells us because our coach is the maximum exponent of what we must respect. He has been here for three years and we’ve done good things. It’s true that we haven’t won anything up to now, but the team has shown it has grown a lot.

“We have a lot to improve on and the coach also knows there has to be some improvement at their end but that is part of football.”

https://strettynews.com/2021/10/22/bruno-fernandes-we-believe-in-ole-gunnar-solskjaer/

tomaldinho1

The full quote:

"Of course, obviously, he is our coach. We follow him every day. We show that. We follow his ideas and we will continue to do so.

We believe in our coach and our staff. We need to do what the coach tells us because our coach is the maximum exponent of what we must respect. He has been here for three years and we’ve done good things. It’s true that we haven’t won anything up to now, but the team has shown it has grown a lot.

“We have a lot to improve on and the coach also knows there has to be some improvement at their end but that is part of football.
Really not a fan of this, as much as I agree I don't think he should be saying this. I'm hoping he means something like they are constantly looking to improve as English is his 2nd language because as it is, it's unacceptable.

Sviken

Really not a fan of this, as much as I agree I don't think he should be saying this. I'm hoping he means something like they are constantly looking to improve as English is his 2nd language because as it is, it's unacceptable.
"Something has to give" as Ole said. We cannot close our eyes and ignore reality forever. Things have to drastically change. And this is for Ole's sake, as well, if he wants to keep his job. Sure, the players may shut up, smile to the cameras until Ole is eventually sacked, but at least now they're giving him a chance to actually fix this. I doubt it'll work because Ole is more stubborn than Mourinho, but hey - you can at least try.

RedTiger

Half mast
The full quote:

“We have a lot to improve on and the coach also knows there has to be some improvement at their end but that is part of football.”

https://strettynews.com/2021/10/22/bruno-fernandes-we-believe-in-ole-gunnar-solskjaer/
This seems more than fair. Don't see any undermining of the coaches or the team.

Josh 76

Sure, but every top team has players that are not up to par. Both Liverpool and City do, as well, doesn't make them play any less better. McTominay is a lost cause, but Fred can be a decent option under a good manager. Our problems lie much deeper than simple players.
Yeah I do agree that the management have to take a lot of the blame. It must be a little frustrating for Ole to not have much options in CM. But then it’s his fault for not sorting that out in the summer and thinking a CB and RW were going to solve the issues.

Chairman Steve

I sense from Bruno there’s now a reluctance to follow the first team management and they’re just doing it because they’re professional and they know that a Jose Mourinho style meltdown won’t happen, because Solskjaer is too much a nice guy.

Wouldnt surprise me if a bunch of players have raised concerns. Ronaldo certainly isn’t going to settle for being a Top 4 race player.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
The full quote:

Really don't see much of an issue here personally. This is Bruno's personality, isn't it. He demands a lot form others, but demands more from himself. If that's all that was said, it seems fairly innocuous to me.

el3mel

Written quotes are always difficult to gauge and often quotes are a selective slice of a larger interview, so the context is lost.

You really need to see and hear the player saying these words, read his body language and facial expressions etc.

Ultimately this quote can be taken either way - the Ole Out lot will spin it as Bruno attacking the Manager. But it can easily be seen as a fairly broad comment about everyone involved knowing improvements are needed.
No player is going to trash his manager clearly in the press. I have seen Shaw and Martial talk well about Mourinho while he was still manager even though they hated his guts, so he won't just come and say "Ole Out". However, he clearly throw some digs in between the lines that the current form isn't good enough.

Giggsyking

Written quotes are always difficult to gauge and often quotes are a selective slice of a larger interview, so the context is lost.

You really need to see and hear the player saying these words, read his body language and facial expressions etc.

Ultimately this quote can be taken either way - the Ole Out lot will spin it as Bruno attacking the Manager. But it can easily be seen as a fairly broad comment about everyone involved knowing improvements are needed.
Imagine Salah coming in an interview saying about Klopp what Bruno said about Ole, or Mahrez about Pep. No matter how you spin it its not in Ole's good picture that a player comes out and talk about coaching improvement.

Dr. StrangeHate

The full quote:

If true, this is damning.

FatTails

Well said. Supporters need to learn the meaning of support. This forum the past week has been incredible to see, some of the threads and posts are baffling.
What goes on in your head as you’re typing this? What makes you think you’re in a position to decide who is a good supporter and who isn’t?

Some of us support the club and want the best for it as opposed to being a cult following of one man. Maybe you can try it, but unlike you, I won’t be an insufferable cnut and try to tell people how to support.

matsdf

Imagine Salah coming in an interview saying about Klopp what Bruno said about Ole, or Mahrez about Pep. No matter how you spin it its not in Ole's good picture that a player comes out and talk about coaching improvement.
Liverpool and City have constantly performed better than us the last couple of seasons, there would be no reason for either Salah or Mahrez to say something like that.
We need to improve. Both the coaches, and the players. Both Ole and Bruno knows that. Ole is not afraid to admit mistakes. He did it with playing Maguire against Leicester, and he did it with Fred against PSG. I don't think Ole minds one of his leaders demanding improvement from everyone.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
KdB has questioned tactics in post match interviews, for example after their CL exit against Lyon.
But this was still different and Bruno should rather focus on improving his own game.

Karlos PFC

English is my 2nd language also and maybe I misunderstood what he's trying to say.

But I take this "...improvement on their end..." as a slight dig, which can be understood from Bruno's side. Being here for 3 years and keep hearing about improvement, learning curve, small margins, that's football for you right there, United DNA, young team, cups are just an ego thing etc

The-Natural

Normally his usual reference to our 'DNA' makes me cringe but his one today about us getting late goals is fine by me because it's feckin' true.

Foxbatt

Hence why I said arguably because it's definitely up there. It was the goal that won us the fecking treble in the last second!

The only person trying to rewrite history is you. You're downplaying Ole's winner in '99 ffs. :lol:
You are. Because Best's goal was a solo goal from the halfway line. Ole's goal good as it is was not as good as Bestie's. Yes he is a legend as a player and may well become as a manager too if he wins PL and CL. But right now no.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
What goes on in your head as you’re typing this? What makes you think you’re in a position to decide who is a good supporter and who isn’t?

Some of us support the club and want the best for it as opposed to being a cult following of one man. Maybe you can try it, but unlike you, I won’t be an insufferable cnut and try to tell people how to support.
What’s going on in my head is disbelief that people start threads hoping we lose and talk absolute shit about the club manager. If that’s not you then no need to get your knickers in a twist.

DutchCruijff

Of course it's a dig, so is the "we do what the coach tells us to do".

You don't randomly start popping up with "the coach needs to improve too" without there being discontent.

Handsome Devil

You are. Because Best's goal was a solo goal from the halfway line. Ole's goal good as it is was not as good as Bestie's. Yes he is a legend as a player and may well become as a manager too if he wins PL and CL. But right now no.
I know it's purely subjective but I'm with you on this Foxbatt. For me, Best's goal was our most important ever! Put us on our way to our first European trophy, becoming first English club to win same and achieving a zenith for Matt Busby after the lowest low of Munich.
But anyhow, this is a sideshow to the thread topic so carry on folks!

Roboc7

The wait and see approach is from the last two seasons, he’s proved he can beat the bigger teams, that could help in cup runs, he’s proved we can have decent form and finish position in the league (with our away record). We need more consistency. I just think he deserves this year or atleast untill we are no where near looking like doing anything, we’re still to click this season, I’m hopeful that we will even if there’s a chance we won’t.
So essentially just hoping it clicks based on very little or wait until it really falls apart. Can’t keep kicking the can down the road with Ole, especially when he’s so under qualified. Will keep supporting the team but can’t ignore what’s pretty obvious that this huge improvement is extremely unlikely to ever materialise.

Foxbatt

This is people looking for things that are not there. From the quotes I see nothing Bruno said that's a slight on Ole.
Players play within a structure that The Manager design. Be it Pep or Big Sam. No matter what happens if the players don't accept it then they should be dropped and sold. People won't remember but Sir Matt sold one of the best midfield players of his era right on the spot for disagreeing with Sir Matt on tactics. His name is Johnny Giles. I think he is still alive.

L1nk

He see’s a different Fred than everyone else apprently

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away

He see’s a different Fred than everyone else apprently
& yet Wenger singled out Fred as being one of our better players, maybe trained professional coaches know more than we do?

Xk byno

Bruno should say what ever he likes, if it will help the team improve tactically. This is Manchester United, and not a small football club where mediocrity is normal

Max_United

From what I can tell it is pretty obvious that both Bruno and Pogba are - very diplomatically -saying that coaching and tactics have not been good enough.

In many cases this might be inappropriate but here we do not have a full picture. If they raised this issue internally - and there has been no responce and coaching staff is being given new contracts - they have a right to escalate. Coaching affects their - very limited in time - career, and they do have leverage being top class players, one of whom saved Ole's job basically upon his arrival, and the other is out of contract in the summer.

Foxbatt

& yet Wenger singled out Fred as being one of our better players, maybe trained professional coaches know more than we do?

Fred has been awful in some games, but not this one. He was one of our better players. Bashing Ole for disliking him is something I do not support. Slate him when he does a bad job and give him credit when he does a good job. That said I still do not think he is the Manager to win us the PL or the CL.

steve.crowford

Questions will continue to be raised as long as the team remains lesser than the sum of its individual parts. Good players under great managers will appear to be great players to the casual observer because the tactics of the team will maximise their strengths and minimise their weaknesses. This is the reason why players like Jorginho, Henderson and TAA were considered to be among the world's best in their positions during their UCL winning seasons. Individually Matip and Christensen are not as good as Varane but the system they are playing under makes them appear to be better defenders than Varane.
For me, that's what it all boils down to. A good system will convert good players into great players. A bad tactical system will convert even great players into average players.
And given our performances this season, its not hard to guess that the tactical system we have in place is anything but good.Park the bus and long ball to rashford/ronaldo are not tactics that are sustainable.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Of course it's a dig, so is the "we do what the coach tells us to do".

You don't randomly start popping up with "the coach needs to improve too" without there being discontent.
See, this is just nothing but another dig to me.
https://twitter.com/ManUnitedZone_

Bruno Fernandes on Solskjaer: “His ideas might be right or wrong, but we're sticking with it until the end." [
@fredcaldeira]

He shouldn't be commenting like this.
Let’s be honest here - Ole would’ve lost his job LONG ago if it weren’t for Bruno…

He has single-handedly kept Solksjaer in his current role.

IF (and that’s a big ‘if’) he were to criticise the manager, people would do well to listen.

Bruno Fernandes is, currently, a lot more important for Man Utd than Ole will ever be as a manager.

Obviously that’s a problem - but that’s what you get employing a coach who is numerous levels below the players he’s coaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.