Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
You do understand that Manchester United will have to compensate Ole if they fire him for the value of his contract regardless if he's here or not?

Look at it this way: How much backbone do you need to have to show up for work still thinking you can turn this around while everyone are out to get you? Probably quite a lot.

In my view, the position has become untenable and will take a miracle to rescue, but this amount of disrespect is unbecoming.
What amount of disrespect is that? He loses against Liverpool, nothing happens to him, in any way. Compare that to Koeman, who after losing only 2-1 against Real, had his car beat upon. I don't mind respect for anyone, even not those who don't deserve it. But that level of decency is wholly the tenet of the fans. Respect for Ole even now has nothing to do with the actions of Ole. It's entirely due to people who will be decent. That respect for Ole isn't earned.

justboy68

The wishful thinking part of me is hoping that we are just waiting to get the next manager lined up. With Conte clearly ready to go but us hesitating, it's making me wonder if we are working on getting Ten Hag behind the scenes?

The logical side of me is thinking, no, we just really are run this pathetically and they are still dithering over whether Ole can magically turn it around.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
What amount of disrespect is that? He loses against Liverpool, nothing happens to him, in any way. Compare that to Koeman, who after losing only 2-1 against Real, had his car beat upon. I don't mind respect for anyone, even not those who don't deserve it. But that level of decency is wholly the tenet of the fans. Respect for Ole even now has nothing to do with the actions of Ole. It's entirely due to people who will be decent. That respect for Ole isn't earned.
She's labeling one of the club legends as a mercenary who only cares about money? How is that not direspectful? Its an outright lie.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
@Rash Decision you've forgotten the other possibility: They don't know who to turn to.

The obvious answer is Conte. However, Conte is happy to call out the senior management he works for. He's done it at Juve, Chelsea and Inter. Do you think Conte will keep quiet if he asks for a defensive midfielder and the United suits say there's no money in the piggybank? He was on the verge of a public breakdown because Inter dragged their feet over Darmian. That probably frightens the United hierarchy because, as we all know, there are serious questions over how good they are at this football malarky. Having Conte expose them probably seems unwelcome to them.

So then who do they turn to?

Zidane. By all accounts he doesn't like England, English football and is waiting for a job he actually wants.

Then you start talking about compensation to hire a coach from another club. If we didn't have money for a defensive midfielder, do you really think the Glazers want to invest in a coach? Especially having had to pay out Ole's three year contract and that of his coaching staff? Money for sackings, money for appointments. Doesn't sound very Glazer does it?

So you're stuck at square one: Hope Ole salvages it and they can put off making the decision.

Lets face it they did this with Van Gaal. There were Mourinho scarves on sale at Old Trafford six months before Van Gaal got sacked. Everyone knew it was coming. But the club put it off so that Van Gaal would miss out on top four and it'd be cheaper to sack him.

Ultimately short-termism will condition the way the club handles this.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
The wishful thinking part of me is hoping that we are just waiting to get the next manager lined up. With Conte clearly ready to go but us hesitating, it's making me wonder if we are working on getting Ten Hag behind the scenes?

The logical side of me is thinking, no, we just really are run this pathetically and they are still dithering over whether Ole can magically turn it around.
I think the same mate. The club have been through this before they know once the manager loses the players it's all over. We're delaying the inevitable until they get the next manager lined up.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Luckhurst saying Ole is taking training today but still no outright clarity on his future. Says it all.

SATA

Some staff want him out? The same staff that Ole praises for being very good and brilliant just a day ago? Talking about throwing your main man under the bus all at the same time. Are these staff plainly trying to salvage their own careers at United?

crossy1686

career ending
Some staff want him out? The same staff that Ole praises for being very good and brilliant just a day ago? Talking about throwing your main man under the bus all at the same time. Are these staff plainly trying to salvage their own careers at United?
They're fighting for their careers. Everyone has an agenda when something is failing their attached to

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
She's labeling one of the club legends as a mercenary who only cares about money? How is that not direspectful? Its an outright lie.
Let's look at this logically. What she is saying has zero impact on Ole's mood or health. The only person bothered by her words is you. Now I'm sure you're a decent bloke, but you're taking this personally. This probably means you're not that good of a thinker. Also, is it an outright lie?

Robbie Boy

The remaining hope is that the Board are delaying while they actively tie down a successor. It’s the only possibility that makes sense. Otherwise I don’t see how they expect this to work out. Would Ole suddenly win the players and staff over again? Would he improve dramatically as a coach just because he’s under pressure? Or is the Board going to sell every player and staff member that wants him out?
I hope that's what's going on behind the scenes, because as you rightly said, it wouldn't make sense otherwise. I have no problem with the Board biding their time to ensure we get the correct man. However, it's my lack of faith in the Board that has me somewhat worried. The last few days have been yet another massive embarrassment for the club.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
@Rash Decision you've forgotten the other possibility: They don't know who to turn to.

The obvious answer is Conte. However, Conte is happy to call out the senior management he works for. He's done it at Juve, Chelsea and Inter. Do you think Conte will keep quiet if he asks for a defensive midfielder and the United suits say there's no money in the piggybank? He was on the verge of a public breakdown because Inter dragged their feet over Darmian. That probably frightens the United hierarchy because, as we all know, there are serious questions over how good they are at this football malarky. Having Conte expose them probably seems unwelcome to them.

So then who do they turn to?

Zidane. By all accounts he doesn't like England, English football and is waiting for a job he actually wants.

Then you start talking about compensation to hire a coach from another club. If we didn't have money for a defensive midfielder, do you really think the Glazers want to invest in a coach? Especially having had to pay out Ole's three year contract and that of his coaching staff? Money for sackings, money for appointments. Doesn't sound very Glazer does it?

So you're stuck at square one: Hope Ole salvages it and they can put off making the decision.

Lets face it they did this with Van Gaal. There were Mourinho scarves on sale at Old Trafford six months before Van Gaal got sacked. Everyone knew it was coming. But the club put it off so that Van Gaal would miss out on top four and it'd be cheaper to sack him.

Ultimately short-termism will condition the way the club handles this.
Yeah that’s what I was sort of referencing in the rest of my post. Hope that Ole somehow improves dramatically or somehow wins back the players and staff. Which is delusional at this point.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Let's look at this logically. What she is saying has zero impact on Ole's mood or health. The only person bothered by her words is you. Now I'm sure you're a decent bloke, but you're taking this personally. This probably means you're not that good of a thinker. Also, is it an outright lie?
Ole will be compensated for the contract if he's fired. There is 0 financial motive to remain in the job. I mean, if you want to defend a lie, that's on you.

Your characterization is bemusing to say the least.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
I hope that's what's going on behind the scenes, because as you rightly said, it wouldn't make sense otherwise. I have no problem with the Board biding their time to ensure we get the correct man. However, it's my lack of faith in the Board that has me somewhat worried. The last few days have been yet another massive embarrassment for the club.
I feel the same as you. And it would be another massive, though expected, embarrassment if after our much vaunted restructuring of the club, we still have no succession plan in place even if it’s just a contingency.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Yeah that’s what I was sort of referencing in the rest of my post. Hope that Ole somehow improves dramatically or somehow wins back the players and staff. Which is delusional at this point.
Missed that, sorry.

Its yet another example of how the men at the top of the club are out of their depth.

If there was even a chance that Ole would stay in post after Sunday they needed to say so on Sunday night. Their silence created a vacuum that's been filled by 'sources', which has now massively undermined Ole.

Frankly, even if they were going to sack him, it would've been better to give him the vote of confidence just to get ahead of other briefing. By not saying anything for a day and a bit, they've let him dangle. He now looks like he's got no friends and allies at the club.

The players will come to the same conclusion that we have: The only reason he's around is cos Woodward and co aren't sure they want Conte, yet. Ole won't have a smidge of authority. Its no way to run a football club.

Robbie Boy

Christ, one of the things he has been praised for ad nauseam on here was his amazing man management. Now that looks like it's fecked too. This isn't going to end well for anyone. I expect maybe a draw against Spurs, but this isn't getting fixed.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
Missed that, sorry.

Its yet another example of how the men at the top of the club are out of their depth.

If there was even a chance that Ole would stay in post after Sunday they needed to say so on Sunday night. Their silence created a vacuum that's been filled by 'sources', which has now massively undermined Ole.

Frankly, even if they were going to sack him, it would've been better to give him the vote of confidence just to get ahead of other briefing. By not saying anything for a day and a bit, they've let him dangle. He now looks like he's got no friends and allies at the club.

The players will come to the same conclusion that we have: The only reason he's around is cos Woodward and co aren't sure they want Conte, yet. Ole won't have a smidge of authority. Its no way to run a football club.
Agreed. I believe the situation is not salvageable for Ole for the reasons you mentioned. So it’s only a matter of time before he goes. We can only hope that somehow the decision-makers pull their fingers out in time to save the season, and to continue progressing from where Ole (should have) left off.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us

Makes sense considering the way we played
If this is true (I believe it's made up, like 99% of these leaks), then the lazy gits just deflect the blame back to the manager. Is Ole making Rashford not track back? Is Ole making Greenwood not track back? Is ole making Shaw and Maguire retarded? They'll throw anyone under the bus just to avoid responsibility.
Ole isn't a good coach, or a coach at all. But even without a coach you can't play the way we did. There should be some resemblance of pride and dignity.

I'm Ole out but some of these players, players that have been here many years and are part of our shite period, are making my head hurt.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Missed that, sorry.

Spot on. Their lack of foresight is simply shocking and it's not like the Liverpool game was some kind of completely unexpected cataclysm, there were plenty of warning signs and critical voices before it.

crossy1686

career ending
If this is true (I believe it's made up, like 99% of these leaks), then the lazy gits just deflect the blame back to the manager. Is Ole making Rashford not track back? Is Ole making Greenwood not track back? Is ole making Shaw and Maguire retarded? They'll throw anyone under the bus just to avoid responsibility.
Ole isn't a good coach, or a coach at all. But even without a coach you can't play the way we did. There should be some resemblance of pride and dignity.

I'm Ole out but some of these players, players that have been here many years and are part of our shite period, are making my head hurt.
Laurie has great links at the club, that’s either come from a player or a member of staff who was present, or via Mitten who also has great links at the club.

When players play as badly as they did at the weekend, and everyone is questioning their ability to play at this level, desire, mentality etc, the finger pointing starts. They’re now fighting for their careers, so you can’t blame anyone for trying to absolve themselves if they genuinely feel they're just following instructions.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I take no joy in wanting a Utd manager gone, let alone one as involved with the clubs history as Ole - but not removing him this morning/this week is mental.

This is now a slow death until the City game. Abit like Newcastle leaving Bruce in charge for the Spurs match.

Revan

Assumptionman
Mercenary? Would you voluntarily quit your job without collecting the release fee from your employer?
If I thought I am completely out of my depth, destroying the company who has already paid me 20-30M over the years, probably yes.

I mean, let's not pretend that managers have not quit in the past. Even LVG, who owned us nothing, offered his resignation when stuff was not going well (although it was far better than now).

Ole had said himself a couple of years ago, that he would rather leave if things break down. Well, well, well...

LARulz

I mean, that's a bit of a stretch. He (Glazer) has multiple businesses to deal with and that was preplanned for a long time. United isn't going to buckle in a few hours, he could easily go or even deal with issues from there. It's also why they have people at the club between him and the manager

crossy1686

career ending
Spot on. Their lack of foresight is simply shocking and it's not like the Liverpool game was some kind of completely unexpected cataclysm, there were plenty of warning signs and critical voices before it.
Why would they sack a manager and appoint a new manager in the middle of a tough fixture list? Might as well let Ole see out the next couple of games and sack him once we’ve got some winnable ones coming up. Start positive for the new manager instead of having to come in and prepare for City as his first game.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
If I thought I am completely out of my depth, destroying the company who has already paid me 20-30M over the years, probably yes.

I mean, let's not pretend that managers have not quit in the past. Even LVG, who owned us nothing, offered his resignation when stuff was not going well (although it was far better than now).

Ole had said himself a couple of years ago, that he would rather leave if things break down. Well, well, well...
From a pragmatical POV, we are still a few points away from the top, so I guess that's not enough "break down level" for Ole and the board. I'm not trying to defend him, I was one of the persons who wanted a change in the staff (not only the manager) so we can keep our evolution.
I will be grateful for Ole as a player and for giving us stability (things could had gone horribly wrong after Mourinho's sacking), but this seasons we should had embrace the fact that we needed to go next level.
My guess is the board fears a Mourinho V2 situation if they appoint a top manager again and that's keeping them to sign a new manager and technical staff. At this moment we are in the edge: we have a fantastic team on "paper" but the football is not reaching the squad level.

spiriticon

I'm just praying that something about the basic team structure changes for the Spurs game.

I don't want the pre-match discussion to be simply about who's playing in the double pivot this week, because I feel now it's really irrelevant who we play there.

Status
Not open for further replies.